Hospital bag?

Jcliff

Reaction score
My ob told me yesterday that he tells all of his patients to have hospital bag packed by 30 weeks! What!? Isn't that early? I don't take my birthing class for another 4 weeks!? I don't even know what to put in the bag!

There's a sticky thread about suggestions of things to put in. I packed my bag early as my friend had her baby at 31 weeks! So I would start thinking about it, or write a list of what you need so at least if you dash off to hospital early, your oh knows what to pack or go out and buy.

Hi I would say not to pack too much just the bare essentials for you and baby after having two births previously you will definately need:

Maternity pads
Spare underwear -old stuff you don't mind binning
A long nightshirt to birth in - saves your modesty - choose something you don't mind getting soiled or binned as it will get ruined!
Vaseline or a good lip balm for you - the gas and air really makes your lips cracked and sore
Any essential oils to help you through the labour.
towel and wash bag
Outfits for baby - about 4 . There is no point packing hats for baby as the midwives will only tell you to remove them whilst inside the hospital.
Comfy clothes or pyjamas for you to wear after birth
Muslin squares - a godsend
Nappies, wipes, cotton wool, olive oil for baby

Hope that helps!!

Vic

Oh and I wouldn't pack the bag as in my experience the earlier you pack the longer your pregnancy will last. They advise to have it packed at around 36 weeks but when you get to 42 weeks and your still sat looking at it it makes your rather depressed!

I haven't packed yet at 38weeks will be doing it soon though my list will be the same as above with ipod and kindle

I had mine done at 28wk ish just in case, im not having hosp birth but gotta be prepared.

That seems early, but I guess they say better to be prepared because you never know. I pray to god you don't have your baby that early! With my first I think I had it at about 35 wks. Just to let you know, in the US ( at least at my hospital and I'm assuming all of them in the US) the hospital provided the pads for you, diapers and wipes for baby, has blankets and cotton shirts for baby.... All I packed for baby was a few outfits, although we only finally dressed her for going home and just used the cotton snap shirts they had and blankets they had. I guess some would prefer to use their own though, but you don't NEED to overpack for baby... Anyhow, I guess maybe start thinking about it if that's what your doc suggests, but maybe pick up things over the next few weeks ( travel size toiletries, etc)

I read somewhere to make a packing list by 30 weeks so if something happens, a bag can be packed quickly.
Don't have to actually pack the bag till much later.

I'll do mine in the next week or so. If my stuff was sat around in a bag for 12/13 weeks I'd want to take it all out and rewash it!

Wow. I'm not packing one until 37-38 weeks. 85% of babies will come after 40 weeks so on that basis I think it's a pretty good chance that it will just sit in the hall gathering dust for over 2.5 months if I had done it at 30 weeks!

Even if things did start early sounds to me like waiting at home to get as far into labour as possible is helpful before going to the hospital so I would imagine that that would allow a lot of time to get things together. If you're worried though write a list so you can just grab and pack in a case x

With my first LO, I had my bag packed and in the car at 35 weeks because that's when the hospital won't make an attempt to stop labor. Before then, I could have had my partner go home or to the Wal-Mart across the street to grab the things I needed. My LO was born at 38w3d.

Also, since I'm in the US, all I needed was clothing for myself (and partner), a going home outfit for baby, and whatever grooming supplies I needed. Diapers, wipes, formula, clothes for inside the hospital, blankets, hats, etc. is all supplied by the hospital and covered by my insurance... most of the US works this way. Check with your insurance company and/or doctor/hospital.

I planned to have mine packed by 34 weeks or so, but that's the end of this week and I doubt it will be done by then!

My thoughts were if I went into labor TOO early, I wouldn't need all the same stuff as the situation would be treated differently, and I could always send DH out to get things I need later.

I think a list is good to start early, but I waited to pack to 38 weeks both times. As some have said, most everything is provided in US hospitals, so you need very little.

My last pregnancy I was told on the Friday I had to come in on the Monday for a c section. The Monday I was 34 weeks!! I hadn't even thought about packing by that point!! A long with going into the hospital on the Saturday and Sunday for steroid injections, I had to go but everything I needed for my hospital bag as well as worrying about such an early delivery!! This time I hope to have it mostly packed by 32 weeks just in case! x

i think 36-37 weeks is a good time to do all the last minute things like putting in the baby car seat, packing the bag, etc...

i had my bag packed with my daughter at 34 weeks last time and i kept going in there for the stuff i still need to use at home like a spare robe lol

With my first LO, I had my bag packed and in the car at 35 weeks because that's when the hospital won't make an attempt to stop labor. Before then, I could have had my partner go home or to the Wal-Mart across the street to grab the things I needed. My LO was born at 38w3d.

Also, since I'm in the US, all I needed was clothing for myself (and partner), a going home outfit for baby, and whatever grooming supplies I needed. Diapers, wipes, formula, clothes for inside the hospital, blankets, hats, etc. is all supplied by the hospital and covered by my insurance... most of the US works this way. Check with your insurance company and/or doctor/hospital.

Yes, the hospital supplies almost everything... I didn't really "pack" but rather threw in some clothes to wear post birth for me and two days worth for my husband and some travel size toiletries. I always see the threads about what to pack in your bag.. I realized most are UK. I thought these women were just going overboard and laughed, but it seems that their hospitals don't give much to the patients. We are lucky, packing a bag isn't really a big deal.

I just finished my bag offically this weekend. I was due on Monday, and I had been putting it off. I didn't even start until 38 1/2 weeks. As the other girls have said, I am from the US also, so alot of the baby stuff is already there. I packed my little ones diaper bag with a couple of going home outfits, because I am sure I will not be able to make up my mind, hats, socks and mittens. however, my doctor did tell me to pack a couple diapers just becasue then the little one is "use to the ones im using."

The rest I packed for me. I just threw an outfit in my bag, pads, nipple pads, and small tolietries. Dh is on his own :haha:

I was 38 weeks on Monday and still not packed a bag. I now have a bag (only because work bought me one as a leaving present) and I've slowly started buying things to go in it since Saturday. But still not packed it yet or one for baby. Sure I'll get round to it sooner or later lol. Nice to see its not just me who is leaving it til later on, loads of people have been moaning at me for not being organised with it packed already.

My bag is ready except for bubs coming home outfit lol...but iv also got a small overnight bag as well as my things in with bubs stuff just in case i need to go in to hosp to be monitored for anything...i finished mine and bubs bag this week officially but have had an overnight bag packed since about 28 weeks as docs and mw expected me to go early xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->