I want..........

Dont think im gonna be able to use normal socks, think i need kids ones, small kids ones haha, her legs are like sticks!

TL's online right now, I'll get her to come and say what she did :D

I just bought adult knee socks or toe socks.

For the knee socks, chop off the foot at the heel and hem it. If you need it tighter (as most will) leave a little open spot in the hem at the back (tiny one). Then get thin elastic and run it through inside of the hem (this is easiest to do with a safety pin). Then sew the two ends of the elastic together. You're done!

with the toe socks, they were shorter, but didn't have a heel, so I just cut the toes off and did essentially the same thing.

If your kiddo is really small, girls knee socks works to start with. :)

https://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab231/freya100509/DSCF1228.jpg

:happydance:

Oh Kirsten they're fab! Freya looks so funky. :D I don't think I'd be up to hemming socks with elastic in - I'm so rubbish at sewing. :blush: I made a start on the knitted ones last night. So far, so good...I think. :shrug: I'll take a picture once they're done.

Yay can't wait to see yours! Wish I could knit. I just hemmed them with normal thread, thats the bit that goes round her thighs, fits fine. :)

Theyre awesome!!!!

Ive decided i cant do it, her legs are too small and i cant sew elastic in, i'll just have to wait till shes bigger and then buy some. Good thing i realised is in summer she can go around with a nappy in the garden and some babylegs in the sun! :D

Freya's legs are almost just the right size for those (could do with being a little longer :haha:) so I'm not surprised Ava's legs are too small! Summer will be perfect for her and her babylegs and pretty nappies :D

claire i have some teeny ones my mum knit that might fit Ava if you want them??

Girls, don't try to hem them with the elastic already in! :nope: That would be a nightmare. You thread the elastic through after you hem them....lemme see if I can explain it, as it REALLY is easy....

Hem the end... but don't sew the hem completely closed. When you get back to the beginning, leave about 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch gap between the start of the hem and the end. This should make the hem stable, but leaves just a tiny open spot to access the "tube" the hem created.

Get elastic that is narrow enough to fit in the hem tube. Cut a piece off that will be longer than tyou think you need. attach one end of it to a safety pin. Run the safety pin through the gap you left in the hem up into the hem tube. Then thread the elastic through the hem tube, bringing it out through the hem gap again. You should now have both ends of the elastic sticking out the hem gap and the rest threaded through the entire hem tube.

Put the baby leg on the baby and pull the ends of the elastic tight until you have it the size/tightness you want it. Mark it. Take the baby leg off, cut the elastic to the mark, and then sew the two ends together to make the elastic into a circle (either on a machine or by hand... by hand is probably easier). After sewing it together, the sewed part should pop right through the hem gap into the tube.

You should now have the hem tube with elastic running through it!

Did that make sense???

I actually don't put elastic on the ones I make as my LO has uber chunky thighs. But normal baby thighs might need it. The only way to find out is to try. :)

yeah they are :) too short and probs too tight now..they are little worn from going in the tumble dryer but they are yours if you want them?? they'll probs go in a normal envelope too so just pm me your addy and i'll get them sent hunny :)

Claire, if...BIG IF...the ones I'm making turn out well, I'd be really happy to make and gift you a pair for Ava. I got lots of bargain yarn recently, and have some lovely girly colours but no baby girls to knit for. I could make her some nice fluffy girly ones. :)

aw that'd be lovely!! you ladies are so kind! I will pay for them tho xx

Nah, I'll enjoy making them for her and using up some of my yarn stash. :) I'll let you know tonight or tomorrow if the experiment's a success.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->