Is anyone obese and pregnant?

Hey guys,
I read a lot of your stories and my heart goes out to you all. I am also obese, I don't know my BMI but I am assuming it's fairly high. I would have liked to have lost some weight prior to this surprise but I guess it was meant to be. I was pregnant last year but due to my weight and problems with my pancreas I miscarried. My partner and myself are very nervous about this pregnancy and haven't told the family yet. We're currently at the 7 weeks mark and thankfully my pre-existing bump is hiding any evidence of the baby bump. I would love for circumstances to be different. I kick myself everyday for not trying to lose weight a little harder. We lost the last pregnancy at three months or so and it was very traumatic for us.

Hey guys,
I read a lot of your stories and my heart goes out to you all. I am also obese, I don't know my BMI but I am assuming it's fairly high. I would have liked to have lost some weight prior to this surprise but I guess it was meant to be. I was pregnant last year but due to my weight and problems with my pancreas I miscarried. My partner and myself are very nervous about this pregnancy and haven't told the family yet. We're currently at the 7 weeks mark and thankfully my pre-existing bump is hiding any evidence of the baby bump. I would love for circumstances to be different. I kick myself everyday for not trying to lose weight a little harder. We lost the last pregnancy at three months or so and it was very traumatic for us.

We also lost our first baby due to miscarriage. My pre pregnancy weight was 247 and I'm only 5'3" and have only put on 15lbs to date. My tests and blood pressure have all been great so far w just a few bumps along the road. Overall this has been a pretty easy pregnancy. Hope urs goes as smoothly.

And congratulations on the pregnancy!

I'm classed as obese with a BMI of 40, but i just class myself as being overweight, I hate the term "obese" I'm a size 16/18 and have been a big girl all my life, i got warned of all the bad things that could happen with me being overweight etc, but it's been a perfect pregnancy so far :)

I've got 2 extra scans at 30 and 34 weeks to see how big my little girl is growing, and ive got a GTT test as well as an appointment with an anaesthatist (dunno how to spell it) haha Ive a slipped disc in my spine and they want to make sure i can have an epidural if need be etc :)

I've not put any weight on during pregnancy so far, im still in my pre pregnancy clothes, apart from having to invest in a couple of maternity vests as my t-shirts are a bit too short because of bump at the moment hehe

I've walked around 2-4 miles a day up until the last week or so as my hips are starting to play up a little now boohoo! lol

I don't think it matters what size you are when your pregnant, they say its not good to be too thin or too big, but i think every pregnancy is different and so is every woman.

XX

I too am obese, my BMI is 42 I believe. I am upset because my OB is saying that I can't have a VBAC. My c-section was due to my daughter being breach, so it was planned, not emergency at all. The only reason they are saying I need another c-section is because of my weight. I really don't want another c-section :( I hope I can find a dr to let me attempt a VBAC...

Hey guys got a newbie here. I just found out that I am pregnant. This will be my second child and the baby was planned but I was hoping to lose more weight before I conceived. I am in a size 18 pants. My bmi is off the charts at 39. Dont get me wrong I am very excited about the pregnancy but I am also getting depressed with the whole weght thing. I havent gone to see a doctor yet. I just my positive test from a clinic this week. I am already in the 200's and I dont want to be pushing 250 at anytime. I am scared. Did anyone else have or had a similar situation?

I'm overweight too. I also have type II diabetes. When I got preg, I was taking Metformin to control my sugar. (I had no idea what it did for hormones and ovulation, but am happy! ;) Anywho, I was 250 pounds when I went to my first OB appointment at 7weeks, and now, at 27+, I am 260. I will bounce from 258 to 260, so I've only put on 10 pounds or so. When my doctor started seeing me, he put me on insulin instead of the Metformin, so my sugars could lower and stay down. (A1Cs went from 7.5 to 5.2!) I also spoke to a diabetic nutritionalist who gave me a meal plan to follow. I count carbs, and eat every two hours. My doctor is thrilled with my weight mangement, as it shows the baby is growing fine, and I am keeping my weight in check. My "B" bump is turning into a proper "D", and I have not had any complications, thank God! Everyoneasks me how I stad to count te carbs, and monitor things so closely, and I reply, "It's all worth it for my baby." They don't get it. They all say they'd never be able to control things so tightly. I say if you really want it, you will. Sorry to go on, but it's scary to think how some people think they cannot get things under control after they are pregnant. I even hav a friend that "keeps her sugar around 200", and that's fasting, and she has lost 2 babies. :( I have no idea why she didn't try to watch what she ate and drank when she found out she was carrying a baby. Having diabetes can be scary, but it can also be controlled.

hi everyone iam 29 stone with a bmi of 65 :( iam haveing such problems getting pregnent i have periods most of the time , my partners been tested and his sperm count is ok ..... i know i need to loose wieght and get healthy but does anyone actualy know if its possible for me to have a baby at this size or will my body allways reject it with my bmi being so big :(

good luck everyone hope someone can tell me what they think my odds are at this size

thank you

I'm a size 22/24 and oh am I showing lol. I showed from about 15weeks with changes in the shape of my tummy. This is my 2nd pregnancy.

I used to be a size 14, but suffered severe spinal damage after a fall from a horse 16 years ago and wasn't allowed to exercise at all. My last surgery was just last year. Unknown if i will need any more once i've had this baby.

This is me at approx 31 weeks:
https://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af2/missunderstood2010/31weeksresize.jpg

My total weight gain so far in this pregnancy is 1 stone 3lbs (17lbs) and i haven't bought any bigger sizes in clothes as everything still fits me fine thank goodness, or else i would have no money left!

I'm also just over 5ft 9 and an ex weight trainer lol to which the anaesthetic person the other day at my consultation was shocked at haha!

Hi sunriseforall,

Hun, if you are having periods on a regular basis, within a few days difference each month, there is a strong likelihood you are ovulating (although you should do tests to check this).

You should talk to your GP about this. Not to deter you from having a baby, and I am obese myself and had a healthy pregnancy, labour and baby, but at 29 stone you would be putting a huge amount of strain on your body, so I'd have to advise you to try to lose some more weight while you are TTC.

Being very overweight, drinking alcohol, smoking etc, all can prevent conception even if we are ovulating as conditions have to be good.

If you got pregnant at the size you are, you would face a lot of extra care, would probably be pushed into having a c-section and could struggle with the additional weight from baby/water etc during pregnancy. Problems that anyone can get when pregnant, could be much more likely for someone with a BMI of 65.

If you want someone to chat to, please drop me a PM and we could chat by email? (I had a BMI of something like 45 when I was pregnant, weigh less now though and didn't gain when pregnant, but a few years ago I was poorly and my BMI went up to 54!). When my BMI was 54 I had been physically ill, mentally ill and gained a lot of weight in a short space of time; my fitness was affected. I know for a fact that I could not have coped with the strains of even my healthy pregnancy, when I was that size, so please do try to lose a bit while you TTC. That is from one person with high BMI to another.xxxx

PS But yes, I do think you could get pregnant. Also, you can do slimming world when pregnant to be as healthy as possible.xxx

i was over 16 stone when i got pregnant, i am now 14 stone 10lb at 36 weeks

My bmi is 38 and this is a pic of me at 27 weeks - it is possible to show. I find wearing maternity pants helps shape the bump too.

Attachments

• 27 week bump 1.jpg
    27 week bump 1.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 27
Hey!! Pre pregnancy I was a UK size 26 now I am a 22 :happydance: I have GD and have lost weight through watching my sugars. I am not 28 weeks but these pics were taken at 17, 20 and 26 weeks

Attachments

• 197309_154745791253117_100001530907209_324172_14526_n (1).jpg
    197309_154745791253117_100001530907209_324172_14526_n (1).jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 221822_159424324118597_100001530907209_354309_3319588_n (1).jpg
    221822_159424324118597_100001530907209_354309_3319588_n (1).jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 28
  • 254088_169288969798799_100001530907209_413292_2901621_n.jpg
    254088_169288969798799_100001530907209_413292_2901621_n.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 30
Hey!! Pre pregnancy I was a UK size 26 now I am a 22 :happydance: I have GD and have lost weight through watching my sugars. I am not 28 weeks but these pics were taken at 17, 20 and 26 weeks

Just want to say well done on your weight loss, 2 sizes is alot to drop in such a short amount of time!

thread closed pending review based on the sheer # of reports received

Thread reopened

I've cleaned up the thread and removed the offending posts.

Let's keep it on track and not reference what has been removed and is being dealt with.

thanks

Hi Ladies, it is very encouraging to read all of your stories. I'm 31 years old and definetely obese with a bmi of 40. I haven't been to see a gynae yet but I know the story, i have been trying to loose weight since last year and it is going very slowly.

My partner and I don't live together hence we don't have regular intercourse in a month i can say once or twice and we have been together for four years now with no pregnancy. I have irregular periods as well.

I'm seeking your advices according to your experiences, I'm really desperate and so afraid to go to the gynae and find out something is wrong.

Thanks a lot!

Hi Ladies, it is very encouraging to read all of your stories. I'm 31 years old and definetely obese with a bmi of 40. I haven't been to see a gynae yet but I know the story, i have been trying to loose weight since last year and it is going very slowly.

My partner and I don't live together hence we don't have regular intercourse in a month i can say once or twice and we have been together for four years now with no pregnancy. I have irregular periods as well.

I'm seeking your advices according to your experiences, I'm really desperate and so afraid to go to the gynae and find out something is wrong.

Thanks a lot!

Hey Samantha,
I didnt want to read and run without giving you some hope...I have a BMI of 39.2 (might as well bump it up to 40 :winkwink:) and I am currently pregnant...I hope and pray that you get pregnant...I cannot imagine what it feels like to try and concieve...None of my pregnancies were planned...they just happened...so unfortunately I dont have any advice on how to conceive because I am very fertile...I want you to know I am rooting for you girl...I know you may be scared about going to gynocologist and I understand why you may be apprehensive (I hate going because I am highly suceptible to ovarian cancer and I always fear they will tell me I have it :wacko:)..Sometimes we work ourselves up more than we need to...You never know, doctor may not give you bad news...You never know doctor may give you something to help with irregular periods or provide advice..May sure you have a doctor that is supportive of you and wont bring you down...Please keep everyone updated...

Fina :flower:

hello i have a a bmi of 42 and im 38 weeks pregnant, i was under consultancy led care til 34 weeks, when the consultant who i had only met that day turned me over to midwife led care, my bps always being fine, i eat healthy walk most places and i see a healthy living midwife who is a great support Xx

My BMI was 46 at the start of my pregnancy - I'm a size 26 bottom and 22 top. I've been tested for gestational diabetes (negative), had growth scans and seen the consultant and anesthetist because of my weight. The consultant is happy with my progress, I've had a healthy pregnancy so far but the anesthetist would like to give me an epidural as soon as I start getting contractions to make it easier for them if I need a c-section. I've refused because I want to give birth as naturally as possible and will only have an epidural if I feel I need it or complications arise.

I felt kicks from inside from 15/16 weeks and felt them from outside since 22/23 weeks. I've got a definite bump now which has been obvious for about the past 2 weeks.

Here's a pic of me at 18 weeks and then this week (33 weeks) :D

Thought I'd come back and update! I had my baby boy on 6th May, 9 days early :cloud9: I had him in hospital after a 1hour 45 min established labour. I had gas and air for the first part but nothing for the last 45 mins. It was an amazing experience, I had no tears or stitches and I can't wait to do it all again.

I had NO weight-related problems through my pregnancy or labour so take everything with a pinch of salt girlies. Best of luck x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->