Is anyone obese and pregnant?

Hi all!! Hope everyone is doing well!! Fingers crossed but I think I'm having a bit of implantation bleeding, I just wanted to know if any of you experienced it and if there's anything else I should be keeping an eye out for?? Xx

i think as long as it is not a lot of bright red blood with cramps its all fine! but obviously if your worried phone your midwife x

Hi ladies,

Can I join in? Just got my BFP and I'm 5'6 and 17 :wacko: I edited to add that I've just seen that this is third trimester thread. Is there one in first trimester?

How did everyone find out their BMI? I didn't hear anything about mine (if they even checked it). I was a size 22 pre preg. (280lbs) and last Monday I was 313lbs. :( My doctor or nurse has never mentioned my weight. Besides exess weight, I've always been healthy.

I deffinatly look pregnant now at 28 weeks. I still have the "apron" under the baby bump, but that's really not noticable with clothes on.

I am about 55lbs overweight before I got pregnant.
I have this pouch looking thing underneath my belly button.
I have been teased that it's there because I wore my pants too tight so my stomach hung over it.
Anyways, now the baby is breech. Why do I think it's because of this pouch thing?

How did everyone find out their BMI? I didn't hear anything about mine (if they even checked it). I was a size 22 pre preg. (280lbs) and last Monday I was 313lbs. :( My doctor or nurse has never mentioned my weight. Besides exess weight, I've always been healthy.

I deffinatly look pregnant now at 28 weeks. I still have the "apron" under the baby bump, but that's really not noticable with clothes on.

https://www.bmi-calculator.net/
Remember to use your pre-pregnancy weight!!!!

Hi,

You sound like me, I'm a UK 22 I'm 27 weeks and look ver pregnant now especially in a summer top. No one has mentioned either about my weight TBH it's me who has made an issue out of it. So far urine clear and blood pressure is fine fingers crossed it stays that way. Nothing has ever been mentioned about a GD testing? I think maybe if sugar showed in my sample then I would be tested. I do have that apron you mention that I hate but it's only noticeable when I'm naked.

To fine out your BMI you can do it online by filling in the boxes your weight height etc that's how I did mine anyway.

I am also obese & pregnant. I have a BMI of 46. I weighed 247 lbs pre pregnancy and I'm 5'3" I now weigh 262 lbs so have gained 15lbs so far and am hoping to keep it to a minimum. I've had a very easy pregnancy so far, no MS, BP has beed good so far. I am hoping to have a natural delivery. I just read this thread and have read all the posts. I hope u ladies who are TTC get ur BFP soon! And those who are alread preggers have a great labor experience.

thanks for the website! My blood pressure has been normal too...between 117/? and 122/? I keep forgetting the bottom numbers! I took the GD test and haven't heard back from them (no news is good news), but that test is standard here.

The bad part is that w/ my 2nd preg. I was 2 months into a new memberships at Gold's Gym to loose weight when I found out I was preg. This time around I had also buckled down and ate good/exercised daily for about a month (I was just getting on a roll of healthy living) when I found out I was preg. again! This time tubes will be tied (we have 4 kids between us soon to be 5) and I'm soooo excited to start being active this summer and loosing all this weight off :)

it's odd that some peoples weights haven't been mentioned by their midwives?
i have a bmi of 35 and i was put under a consultant as soon as i went to the midwife. i'm also on clexane injections as blood clots are more likely when you're overweight.

I was worried that I would have to have a lot of extra tests and interventions because my BMI is 41, but I've been treated totally normally. My midwives said that as long as my blood pressure and all tests results are good, I won't have to do anything differently than others. I'm glad for that, because I've always been healthy (just obese).

my midwife has not really mentioned my weight but i knew it was a factor, i dont see the consultant until im 28 weeks! i have lost a few lbs so my BMI has went down to 39 x

My BMI was 46 at the start of my pregnancy - I'm a size 26 bottom and 22 top. I've been tested for gestational diabetes (negative), had growth scans and seen the consultant and anesthetist because of my weight. The consultant is happy with my progress, I've had a healthy pregnancy so far but the anesthetist would like to give me an epidural as soon as I start getting contractions to make it easier for them if I need a c-section. I've refused because I want to give birth as naturally as possible and will only have an epidural if I feel I need it or complications arise.

I felt kicks from inside from 15/16 weeks and felt them from outside since 22/23 weeks. I've got a definite bump now which has been obvious for about the past 2 weeks.

Here's a pic of me at 18 weeks and then this week (33 weeks) :D

Attachments

• 18+1 bump.jpg
    18+1 bump.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 33+4 bump.jpg
    33+4 bump.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 49
What's considered obese bmi my midwife said I'm very obese and I'm a sz 14 and weigh 11 stone before pregnancy

it's odd that some peoples weights haven't been mentioned by their midwives?
i have a bmi of 35 and i was put under a consultant as soon as i went to the midwife. i'm also on clexane injections as blood clots are more likely when you're overweight.

I find it odd too. It's not even the midwife being rude, is it? It's their duty of care. I was referred for consultant care, and while I had a pretty sensible consultant who treated me as a whole person not just an overweight mum to be, I do think it was necessary. Weight CAN and DOES for some pose extra risks on top of those already linked to pregnancy and birth.

I also had clexane and stockings after the birth.

What's considered obese bmi my midwife said I'm very obese and I'm a sz 14 and weigh 11 stone before pregnancy

Very obese? Are you joking? Obese is BMI over 30. Morbidly obese is BMI over 40. Unless you are like 4ft tall I wouldn't say you are in the type 3 obesity category!

My BMI was 46 at the start of my pregnancy - I'm a size 26 bottom and 22 top. I've been tested for gestational diabetes (negative), had growth scans and seen the consultant and anesthetist because of my weight. The consultant is happy with my progress, I've had a healthy pregnancy so far but the anesthetist would like to give me an epidural as soon as I start getting contractions to make it easier for them if I need a c-section. I've refused because I want to give birth as naturally as possible and will only have an epidural if I feel I need it or complications arise.

I felt kicks from inside from 15/16 weeks and felt them from outside since 22/23 weeks. I've got a definite bump now which has been obvious for about the past 2 weeks.

Here's a pic of me at 18 weeks and then this week (33 weeks) :D

Don't do it! I had the anaesthetist appt. It's routine as you say. I also had a very healthy pregnancy. Waters broke before labour started (not to do with weight) and quite a long labour (to do with waters going first and body not being ready), but I had an avg sized baby and the birth was straight forward without so much as a graze! I pushed her out in about 10 minutes and she was my first!

Do NOT go for epidural straight away. Go for mobilising as much as possible. Know your rights as a labouring mother - you don't have to lay down and take everything. In the case of an emergency section, I was told during labour when I refused the epidural at 5cm dilated (the anaesthetist did my feckin nut in actually - my birth plan said do NOT force pain relief on me and she kept coming in and saying I needed it, then I had the drip and she was like now you really need it, this will hurt much more and you are more of a section risk now... erm no thanks!), that I could have a spinal which would take effect in minutes and only then would they go for GA if that did not work. I was given 3 doses of ranitidine by that anaesthetist because she was so keen to bully me into an epidural and was saying things like 'we need to give you this to help prevent acid aspiration in case of a section which is looking more likely now' (I had a low bishops score from the start because my body was not ready for labour).

Stand firm!!

has anyone in this thread given birth yet? but had to be induced?

i had an appointment with a consultant yesterday, aparently my baby is now weighing 10lbs 5oz. im not fussed about her weight, but she mentioned that they wont let me go much over my due date, but it also may be hard to induce me as i have a high bmi (was 44 pre pregnancy) then she started babbling about a c section, which started to get me more worried, so i just wondered if any larger ladies have struggled with being induced..

Why hard to induce you? I had a high BMI at start of pregnancy and did lose a bit of weight while pregnant. I wasn't planned for induction but my waters broke at 39+3 (probably a case of doing too much - I was lifting hay bales that day!), so I had to go in 2 days later if contractions didn't become regular or longer or more painful. So yeh I had an exam on the Monday morning and my cervix was posterior and closed. I was told it was however thin. The MW told me that gave me a Bishops Score of 3 (google it) and that anything below 8 usually flags up a likelihood of failed induction, so where there is no medical urgency they won't induce. They deemed there to be urgency in my case and they inserted a pessary. 20 minutes later I lifter my heavy bag off the floor onto the bed and with that had the most almighty contraction and started getting a constant STRONG pain in my bum. I dilated quite fast to start but because I had more than one risk factor, I had to have a lot of monitoring so I was not as mobile as I'd have liked (will push for it next time) and progress slowed to about half a cm an hour. The MWs were happyish with that but the reg said I needed the drip. That went up on full and my baby became a bit distressed so it went off. In 2 hours on the drip I did not progress at all (was still about 6cm) - it caused us both a bit of distress and that actually had an adverse effect on my progress. So I begged the reg to not go straight down the csection route so he turned off the drip and gave me a couple of hours. In that time I was able to get a bit of rest and by the time it went back on I was progressing again. A couple of hours after it went back on I was fully dilated and ready to push. I pushed her out in about 10 minutes without any trauma - not even a graze. I'd been told to expect a big baby and she was 7lbs5oz! I had a really long painful (very painful due to being induced and having no waters) labour but the birth was fine and I was out walking the next day (at my horses' field).

I really believe my begging for them to not immediately go down the section route and think more outside the box of other ways to help us (if she had been majorly distressed then it would have been section, no questions asked). I think my labour and birth was very well managed by the drs and MWs (with a bit of persistence from me) and I was really lucky.

Do not let them scare you. Prepare as much as you can now and when you are in labour make sure you ask questions about everything and make your wishes known very loud and very clear.

The thing that may make you struggle is the lack of mobility which may mean you are slow to progress or stop progressing altogether. With me, I also didn't wee often enough during labour and my body also went into ketosis as I didn't eat and drink for ages. Look after yourself during labour and be as mobile as possible under the circumstances (ask for a week maybe every 45-60 minutes and stretch out the time you are gone so you get to mobilise a bit, if you really do need CEFM). They do say larger people, for some reason, can be slower to progress as well, but that should not immediately mean failed induction.

Hi there all, I am not sure If I am obese, but I am definitely overweight. I feel very depressed about it. and I hate it when people lie to me and say: "your not that big" when I can clearly see that yes I am! The size and weight I am at now is the same as what I was at 8 months pregnant with both of my other children, but with this pregnancy I started out being very much overweight, (I am usually 9.5-10 stone, but started this pregnancy at 11 and I am only 5"2) I am now just 3 months pregnant and have already got a HUGE stomach and weigh 12 stone!! with my other 2 I did not show until around 5 months and I know this is not a baby belly, as I had it before I got pregnant! it's just got fatter with all the food I've been eating! people rub it and think I am more like 6-7 months pregnant, it's so embarrassing, and I hate my belly, cause it's not a hard round baby bump, but a flabby tire that goes all the way around. :(
I can't stop myself from eating crap, and am worried that I will get so big I won't be able to walk! or that I may find labour more difficult. I know there will be ladies out there who are bigger than me and may feel annoyed by my winging, but to me it's a big deal when I have always been 9 to 10 stone max, and now my thighs stick together, my boobs are a 40D!!! (they were a 34C before) I have gone from a size 12 to a 16-18, I can't see my feet anymore and I get out of breath walking up the stairs! and I am only 28!!
sorry girls, I just HAD to get all that out...... :(

(just wanted to add if all this was toward the end of my pregnancy I wouldn't mind, but as it's only at the start I am absolutely petrified of how big I might get! and also if this will cause my baby to be big? sorry for tmi, but my 2nd child who was 8.1 was very hard to push out, so how can I do it with an even bigger baby? I am so scared.. my 1st was only 6.14. )

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->