Is anyone obese and pregnant?

I am also Obese and worried i am 5 Weeks and a few days .... we just found out a few days ago that we are pregnant not planned it just happened and we are soo happy..... but that element of being overweight and pregnant is worrying me ....

Babyjewel - just concentrate on looking after yourself and eating well and everything will be fine. I am obese witha high BMI and I am being monitored accordingly and so far (touch wood) I feel good and have had no problems. We have extra precautions for the birth, such as - I wont be in the midwife led unit, I will be in the hospital, I have seen the anaesthastist for a review incase I want an epidural.

Women have been doing this for ever - please dont be worried xx

hey im obese and I had a relatively easy pregnancy and birth. I did get GD but nothing that eating really well and walking around the block didn't help. I did get a bump- but i hid it- didn't really like the shape of it- My birth was pretty uncomplicated- i gave birth vaginally a month early- one really really good resource that helped me was https://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/ it actually gave me to confidence to TTC and made me realise just because i was big did not mean i did not have the right to have a child. If you have any questions or need support please feel free to ask or PM me.

Hi all! I'm also "obese" and pregnant. I'm 35 weeks along. I've actually LOST weight my entire pregnancy up until about two weeks ago. I had HORRIBLE morning sickness and lost almost 30 pounds in my first trimester. Then, I was really active during my second trimester helping out with a home improvement. I was diagnosed with GD...nothing too bad...just had to modify what I eat. Out with the junk and eat much more fruits and veggies...no more processed junk. The past three or four weeks though, I've felt myself slow down A LOT! I get tired sooooo easily.

So, so far, I literally haven't gained a single pound, which my doctor and myself are so happy about! :happydance: Other than the GD, I haven't had any other problems. My bloodpressure has been perfect...even on the low side...now I'm just so ready for this little one to be born!

I do have quite a round bump that doesn't look like a fat bump. About the only thing for me that's gotten on my nerves is that I look farther along than I am or that I'm carrying multiples. About three months ago, this older lady (skinny as a rail, btw) asked when I was due. I told her June and she couldn't believe it...said the doctor must be wrong because there's no way I'd go that long. Gee thanks for making me feel bigger than I already am!!! And an old coworker, though he means well, is gonna get smacked the next time he suggests that I'm carrying three or four, or that I've been eating to many "groceries"! :trouble:

ohh i am slightly relieved about my situation ... thank u all... and good luck with the deliveries :):thumbup:

I was obese when I got pregnant with my first daughter who is now 2, and we are now actively trying for number 2 (about to start after a long break) and I am the same weight as I was when I fell pregnant with her!

I had no problems at all during pregnancy. I did have a long labour as my waters broke before contractions started, but I had no issues and pushed her out in 10 mins with not even a single graze. I breastfed for 16 months. She is now a happy, healthy, SKINNY, 25 month old!

i am obese, was 101kg at booking in appointment with a bmi of 39.1. At my 22week scan i weighed in at 109kg. I have had no problems throughout my pregnancy, passed my diabetes test and have had no high blood pressure. The only problem i have is i suffer badly from symphysis pubis dysfunction but that can affect any sized woman.

My only problem is with my weight and my traumatic birth with my dd 6 years ago they say i am consultant led but i hated my aftercare experience on the ward so was hoping for a birthing centre birth. I have an appointment with head midwife to see if i can if for example the rest of my pregnancy goes well and i labour myself. Has anyone else not fit the criteria for a birthing centre/midwife led birth but still had one?

Also i carry alot of my weight on my thighs bum and tum so didnt really start to look pregnant untill around 23weeks, even now i have abit of a B bump but it is starting to smooth out so hoping over the next 10weeks i will end up looking undoubtably pregnant x

hiya

i was 15 stone before i feel pregnant and carried my weight on my hips and tummy i had a massive belly
(((((((((((((((((((((((((((( - now look at my bump!! believe me you will see a bump no matter how big you are mine just came at a later stage hunni xx

Attachments

• 458014_10150828335303246_525043245_10009518_82445469_o.jpg
    458014_10150828335303246_525043245_10009518_82445469_o.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 459548_10150828328498246_525043245_10009499_1197758690_o.jpg
    459548_10150828328498246_525043245_10009499_1197758690_o.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 24
Me to and ive got a high bmi, im 40 weeks pregnant and apart from 1 midwife all the others have been great, ive passed the diabeties tests and had my appointments with the OB and anithistist, the only problem they could see to do with my weight was that i was more at risk of c section or forceps delivery but like i said to my husband i could be the perfect weight with the perfect bmi and still have that problem, I did have to go through the first 7 months of pregnancy without a bump as my layer of fat covered it but i suddenly popped out at 7 months, although i still brought a tshit saying i love my bump just incase someone thought i had just put on tons of weight,

I have a really high BMI and I deffo have a bump! This is me at 33 weeks. I think it depends what you wear - the dress I wore for this pic really shows off that it is a bump, where as my more floaty (cover up my big belly) tops probably made it look like I just had a big belly. Be brave and get your tighter clothes on when you get your bump! x

Attachments

• 2012-04-06 21.34.17 - 33 weeks.jpg
    2012-04-06 21.34.17 - 33 weeks.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 16
I know the post is quite old but I figured I'd share some pictures. I'm 40 weeks pregnant, gained about 30lbs, pre-preg was 200 with a 31.5 BMI, I'm 5'8. I'm much larger now, but figured I'd post some of the earlier pictures.

Started showing in the 20 week range. Around 18 weeks I started getting asked if I was pregnant even!

:flower:

First picture without text on it was 27 weeks. I didn't take too many photo's prior to that.

Attachments

• 27weeks_preg.jpg
    27weeks_preg.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 8
  • bump_31weeks.jpg
    bump_31weeks.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 8
  • bump_34weeks.jpg
    bump_34weeks.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 10
This was an amazing Post, I am not yet pregnant but i am 500 Lbs (squinting just typing that). I'm married for a year and half and i'm beginning to get pressured from family and friends about having kids and being reminded that i'm not getting any younger. oh i'm 29. Truth is i'm scared! Very scared! I want to give my husband a baby but i don't know anymore. Weight loss is so hard....My Gyny was quite blunt about all the dangers that I am likely to face becoming pregnant. I'm quite scared for me and the potential baby. I would love to talk to you more about your experiences.

Saucy, hi! :) I was 479 when I got pregnant with this baby (child #2 - seven years after #1 - mild secondary infertility) and thought everyone would hate me and be mean to me and treat me like I do not deserve this miracle.

Thankfully, my experience has been to the opposite! Plus I've been able to finally concentrate on taking care of my body (money was nothing so all went to caring for DD but with baby on board I HAVE to get care). So far I have dropped down to 426, and am feeling happy and healthy.

I hate, hate, hated that it is splattered all over that women our size can't and shouldn't get pregnant but the fact is that if it happens and whether you have complications or not, it is special to YOU and your hubs. A fat momma doesn't mean a bad momma.

Do what you can to get your body healthy, and let nature take its course. If people are negative and hateful, reflect back to them what they lack - dignity and respect, love and compassion. It is worth it, and in the end the love and support you get from family are worth a million times more than the disdain of some assuming stranger. :hugs:

i guess it all depend s from person to person :)... i went to a gyne once and she refused to see me coz I was 130 kg!!! didn't even entertain me .... i became 150 kg went to another dr. he said i was fine it would be better to loose some weight and if we don't get pregnant in a year then to come back to him... i decided to go on a diet :) became 121.8 until and i was still on a diet when i found out i was pregnant .... of-course now i am not but am eating healthy or trying to.... i do believe that my small weight loss helped ... i am still obese but wat to do ... i have a fried who was also obese and she got pregnant without a problem ....

I got pregnant first month trying with my first baby. I had just lost a stone.

I have never smoked, never been a big drinker, eat generally healthy (not someone who eats fast food regularly - I gained a lot of weight when I was ill for a long period, and losing it is difficult when you like your food!!!). I walk everywhere, I swim a lot. I was 26 when I conceived her, I'm 28 now. I'm taking p/n vitamins and trying to drink loads of water. I don't do caffeine drinks. So I am giving myself the best chance and have also recently been dieting.

I think as long as you're doing everything in your power to give yourself the best chance, including loads of sex, then you stand as much chance as most other people. It helps that my husband is very healthy... well he was until he was diagnosed with a chronic condition, but still he's quite healthy.

Hi! I am new to this site and hoping that I can make friends and find support with other obese pregnant moms. I am 21 weeks pregnant. I am very obese, I fall into the "morbidly obese" category. This is so embarrassing to admit and makes me want to cry but I am 5'5 and currently weigh 316 lbs and honestly I don't know what my pre-pregnancy weight was because I avoid the scale. I am 38 years old and this is my 3rd baby. I have had 2 C-sections with my other children, one was an emergency and the other was scheduled. I went to my regular ob/gyn appt today and actually lost 1/2 lb this past month and my blood pressure was low but normal low (my dr said that could be because of hormones and it may not stay this low for the remainder of my pregnancy) I am super depressed right now because my doctor said I am not a high risk pregnancy but I am a high risk delivery due to my age, my prior C-sections but I think more than anything it is my weight. My BMI is 50 :( So embarrassed to admit that. I am sooooooooo worried. I have been crying all day (these pregnancy hormones definitely don't help) I would really like to find more women like me who have a similar situation or who may have been in my situation and can reassure me that everything will be okay. Honestly, I am worried that I might die or my baby might die during my C-section or we will suffer serious complications. I hope there is someone out there who can relate to me. I would love to make new friends and we can help and support each other. Hugs.

Hi! I just saw your post. I am new to this site and I am looking to connect with other obese pregnant moms. I am 21 weeks pregnant. I wasn't extremely worried or concerned about my weight, I currently weigh 316 with a BMI of 50 until today, my ob/gyn informed me at my appt today that I am a high risk delivery. I am very depressed and have been crying all day (these darn pregnancy hormones aren't helping either) The good news is that besides my weight both the baby and me are healthy. I don't know how to private message people on here but I would love to be friends or pregnancy buddies. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks :)

Hi! I am new to this site and hoping that I can make friends and find support with other obese pregnant moms. I am 21 weeks pregnant. I am very obese, I fall into the "morbidly obese" category. This is so embarrassing to admit and makes me want to cry but I am 5'5 and currently weigh 316 lbs and honestly I don't know what my pre-pregnancy weight was because I avoid the scale. I am 38 years old and this is my 3rd baby. I have had 2 C-sections with my other children, one was an emergency and the other was scheduled. I went to my regular ob/gyn appt today and actually lost 1/2 lb this past month and my blood pressure was low but normal low (my dr said that could be because of hormones and it may not stay this low for the remainder of my pregnancy) I am super depressed right now because my doctor said I am not a high risk pregnancy but I am a high risk delivery due to my age, my prior C-sections but I think more than anything it is my weight. My BMI is 50 :( So embarrassed to admit that. I am sooooooooo worried. I have been crying all day (these pregnancy hormones definitely don't help) I would really like to find more women like me who have a similar situation or who may have been in my situation and can reassure me that everything will be okay. Honestly, I am worried that I might die or my baby might die during my C-section or we will suffer serious complications. I hope there is someone out there who can relate to me. I would love to make new friends and we can help and support each other. Hugs.

Hey love- im the same BMI- and my pregnancy and birth went really really well. I was considered high risk and had to go to the high risk hospital- but im so glad i did- they treated me so well and never once made me feel like I was going to die or that my pregnancy and birth was ever anything unusual. Just because you are big doesn't mean that you have done anything wrong or that something will automatically go wrong. Demand that they treat you the same and if they want to go down a path you dont want to get them to explain why and make sure you are involved in the decision making. You and the baby will be fine. :hugs:

Hey love- im the same BMI- and my pregnancy and birth went really really well. I was considered high risk and had to go to the high risk hospital- but im so glad i did- they treated me so well and never once made me feel like I was going to die or that my pregnancy and birth was ever anything unusual. Just because you are big doesn't mean that you have done anything wrong or that something will automatically go wrong. Demand that they treat you the same and if they want to go down a path you dont want to get them to explain why and make sure you are involved in the decision making. You and the baby will be fine. :hugs:
Thanks for your reply. This makes me feel so much better. This is my 3rd baby but the first time that I have been in this situation. My ob/gyn told me yesterday that I will not be able to deliver at the hospital where I planned to deliver and where my other 2 children were born. He is referring me to a bigger hospital who are much better equipped to deal with high risk deliveries. He said I will transfer over at 30 weeks and I will see new doctors from 30 weeks until my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. I don't like it one bit that I have to go to new doctors when I have been at my current ob/gyn practice for over 15 years and then to deliver in a different hospital. I feel like I am starting over and I feel comfortable and trust the doctors/hospital where I delivered the past two times but he told me that I will be in much better hands at the other hospital. I guess if I wasn't pregnant I could deal with this better but these pregnancy hormones just have me totally emotional. I am due on September 26 but I will have the baby a week before. Only 4 more months but I think this will be the longest 4 months of my life. What do they do different during a high risk delivery C-section? It sounded like to me that my doctor was saying that they will have 2 to 3 surgeons instead of just one. I want to be informed about everything but sometimes I think ignorance is bliss.

Thanks for your reply. This makes me feel so much better. This is my 3rd baby but the first time that I have been in this situation. My ob/gyn told me yesterday that I will not be able to deliver at the hospital where I planned to deliver and where my other 2 children were born. He is referring me to a bigger hospital who are much better equipped to deal with high risk deliveries. He said I will transfer over at 30 weeks and I will see new doctors from 30 weeks until my scheduled C-section at 39 weeks. I don't like it one bit that I have to go to new doctors when I have been at my current ob/gyn practice for over 15 years and then to deliver in a different hospital. I feel like I am starting over and I feel comfortable and trust the doctors/hospital where I delivered the past two times but he told me that I will be in much better hands at the other hospital. I guess if I wasn't pregnant I could deal with this better but these pregnancy hormones just have me totally emotional. I am due on September 26 but I will have the baby a week before. Only 4 more months but I think this will be the longest 4 months of my life. What do they do different during a high risk delivery C-section? It sounded like to me that my doctor was saying that they will have 2 to 3 surgeons instead of just one. I want to be informed about everything but sometimes I think ignorance is bliss.

hello hun, i wanted to share my experience also with you. This is my 2nd pregnancy, my daughter is 2.5 yrs old. My bmi with my daughter was 38 and it wasnt an issue to docs and midwifes, anyway my birth ended up in an emergency section, which went well and i recovered pretty quick.
This time with my 2nd my bmi is 41 and my weight and bmi are a huge issue to docs and midwifes all over my notes HIGH BMI HIGH BMI is written which makes me feel pretty shit really. I like you have gotten down about this also and it has made me have the same thoughts as you that i would probably end up dieing during my planned section which is due in 12 days. Havnt really discussed with anyone how i feel but with only 12 days to go im just trying to feel as positive as i can. But i understand where you are coming from completely. dont mind chatting if youd like to. xx

I don't think anything is done any differently- what the difference is - is that you usually are at the hospital where they would transfer you if things went wrong- its more a case of having you where the best resources are rather than actually needing to use those resources.

I found that because these doctors were used to higher risk pregnancys and births that it was better- they knew what to expect, they didn't judge, were very accepting, because that's their field of expertise. I'm betting that you are not going to notice a huge amount of difference between now and your previous sections.

I can honestly say that i felt that I was treated no differently than i would have been if i was of a normal size. I never felt like that I was a ticking time bomb or that they needed to "save" me.

The only thing that was different to an average ladies birth is that I couldn't use the pool (actually i never asked about it - so i may well have been able to use it) i needed to be monitored constantly- but i had PROM and i was being induced- both which require monitoring even if i was an average size.

As i said - i believe they move you to the bigger hospitals so that they have the right people there *if* you need them. You are not the biggest person to have given birth- and they have probably seen women with higher risk pregnancys and births walk through their doors. When i went to my prenatal check ups there I was pleasantly surprised that there were other women my size (and larger) having babies- chin up and try not to stress- you have had no complications before - there is no reason to expect that this time will be any different.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->