Is anyone obese and pregnant?

Cahbi join I'm currently ttc I am 5`5 and weigh 324. The Dr has already told me I should be able to get pregnant when I'm ready I still have some fears on if that's possible. I'm currently 26 days late have some ympts but scared to test

I weighed 250 and have had PCOS for years and was told I couldn't concieve, I was on the pill to control my periods and alas I got pregnant through all of those obstacles. We were in no way trying to get pregnant either (only been with OH for a few weeks when it happened!) Now we are over the moon

Nothing is impossible ladies, keep faith and keep trying

Hi everyone,

I've been reading this thread with interest today and its so reassuring to find other people in the same boat as me :)
I'm about 4-5 weeks pregnant and I'm 5ft4, and around 18stone 12. My BMI is around 45 I think so I'm classed as morbidly obese (I hate those words!!). I've been ttc for the past year and was overjoyed and a little scared when I took a test the other day to see I was pregnant. I'm not sure what made me take a test but something made me and it was positive :)
I've not had any appointments with my midwife yet - I'll be ringing next week (our hospital has a self referal line so I don't even need to see a GP) but I'm sooooo nervous. I know there could be some complications as I'm bigger but I think what I'm most worried about is a)being judged when I get weighed and b) getting told off!! I know thats crazy and theres plenty of other larger ladies that have babies but I can't help feeling v.nervous about going.
I'm aiming to be healthy and lose weight if I can over my pregnany - I'm already a stone down since xmas with slimming world so I know I can healthily continue this.
Its just really nice to hear other ladies with similar weight worries as me! I haven't really told many people yet so I've not been able to talk to any of my friends about it, and all the ones that have had babies were all skinny minnies so I'm not sure they'd totally understand!

Im soo happy to have found these pages & see I am not on my own.

I am 36 (so classed as old & problematic) and have a BMI now of 47 (although i think most of that is from my boobs these days :)

After 4 years of trying i am now also 17 weeks pregnant. 3 weeks ago i was diagnosed with gestational diabetes, which isnt really a bad thing as it has much improved my eating habits. I have a large B shape bump that is rapidly changing into a D shape, and in this part of pregnancy i have never felt better.

All the staff at the hospital have been excellent & i havent been made to feel bad for my weight yet. However yesterday i was told that i will have to have a meeting with the anthetist & have a baby echo to check its heart & that i am now a high risk pregnancy due to my GD & BMI.

I am obviously slightly concerned but after reading all these reassuring stories on here i am determined to just relax & enjoy, thanks everyone

This was an amazing Post, I am not yet pregnant but i am 500 Lbs (squinting just typing that). I'm married for a year and half and i'm beginning to get pressured from family and friends about having kids and being reminded that i'm not getting any younger. oh i'm 29. Truth is i'm scared! Very scared! I want to give my husband a baby but i don't know anymore. Weight loss is so hard....My Gyny was quite blunt about all the dangers that I am likely to face becoming pregnant. I'm quite scared for me and the potential baby. I would love to talk to you more about your experiences.

Helllooo. Seee iv had the same problem, i am in my first trimester. i only found out last week that i was pregnant, and i am so scared that something is going to go wrong and i really dont want that happening. I would love to tlk to someone whos more like me to know a bit more about what the docs say ectect. xx Everyone i speak to are small tiny girls. :( x Hope to hear from you soon x:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey! Congrats on being pregnant!!!! :happydance: The first trimester can be scary but im sure you will be ok! How far along are you? A large percentage of miscarriages happen before a woman even knows she is pregnant...so if you tested positive thats already a plus! Take it easy, get your rest, take prenatals (make sure your getting your folic acid!!! SOOO IMPORTANT!!!!) and just take care of yourself. :thumbup:

I was really nervous throughout my first trimester...but it went very smoothly. Every week you pass lowers your risk of miscarriage and by the time you reach 12/13 weeks the risk is very low. Just take it one day at a time and try not to worry (easy to say...but hard 2 do...I know :winkwink: )

As for doctors, my Ob/gyn is GREAT! Shes been my gyno for years so she knows me and she knows my body. She has never even mentioned my weight (I have...lol... she says Im young and healthy.. and doesnt appear worried) The first apt I had they did a transvaginal ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and make sure it was viable. At my second and third appt she tried to use the doppler but couldnt pick up the heartbeat through my fat so we did tranvaginal ultrasounds again to check the baby. Since then, she hasnt tried the doppler anymore.... she just has the us machine set up..I graduated to abdominal ultrasounds by my 4th appointment. **This doesnt mean you will have this prob...I really have a large amount of stomach fat in the way.

Whenever they do an abdominal ultrasound (or tried to use the doppler) I would hold up my belly so she could get the machines in closer to the baby. This may be helpful for you if you end up having trouble w/ an ultrasound or doppler. If your doctor doesnt suggest it, you may want to offer... It def can make a HUGE difference.

Now at my doctor, they send you to a different office for the comprehensive ultrasounds. I went at 13 weeks for a ultrascreen (checking for chromosonal disorders) and at 20 weeks (2nd trimester comprehensive us) and then 23 weeks for a follow up. The 13 week scan was pretty easy. The baby was still lower then and lifting up my belly gave the technichion a good look at him. The 20 week was tougher as my uterus/baby had grown up more in my abdomen so going under the belly didnt produce as clear a picture but going over the belly also wasnt great. They were able to see a bunch of what they wanted to see but it wasnt very clear. They had me come in at 23 weeks for a follow up. They were able to see what they couldnt see before...still not ultra clear... but the doctor overseeing the ultrasound seemed pretty comfortable with it. This doctor also used some different techniques that the doctor at 20 weeks didnt use..this made a big difference in getting a good picture of what she wanted to see. :)

The ultrasound doctor told me to make another appointment for 5-6 weeks from now. Shes assuming that my doctor will want me to come for more frequent ultrasounds as it is hard to measure the growth of my baby through measuring my uterus.

My doctor did have me take the gestational diabetes test early and now I have to take in again in a couple of weeks. It wouldnt surprise me if I have to take it a third time as well. My dad is diabetic which puts me at high risk for gestational and so does being obese...so its a double whammy! lol Hopefully the 2nd test will be ok. **cross fingers**

Right now, my OB/GYN is on maternity leave (ironic huh?) she will be back in sept. Until then I am seeing other doctors in the practice. I find it very nerve wracking to go to the other doctors... I went to one last week...she wasnt mean or anything but also wasnt very warm. Im trying another doctor (who my doctor highly recommended) for my August appointment.

There are rumors (through doctors and on the internet) that you may not feel your baby move or it may take longer if your heavier....well I can tell you that wasnt true in my case (and I am MUCH MUCH heavier then the average obese woman). I started feeling occasional movement around 18 weeks...there was a couple of times before then that I thought I felt him...but its hard to tell at first. Over weeks 19/20/21/22 I started feeling him more and more...now at week 23 I often feel him moving, mostly just little movements still...but sometimes ill feel a big kick and I even felt him have the hiccups already! Its awesome to feel him!! I love it... sometimes if I press gently on my belly he will squirm or kick me in protest...you cant feel it from the outside yet...but im SURE that I will get to the point as he gets bigger. Which is exciting!

I dont really look pregnant right now....just bigger...but im expecting I will eventually look more pregnant then fat..lol.

If you have any questions let me know!!! I remember how I felt in my 1st trimester and how I still feel sometimes....it is so much better to get the questions off your chest and get some support!! Also..when it comes to choosing your doctor..if you dont already have an ob/gyn you trust dont be afraid to try a few different ones until you find a supportive doctor who you like and trust. If any doctor is unkind to you then find another one! Also, although it hasnt happened to me, I have heard stories of doctors telling big women that they cant possibly carry a baby, they will complications, baby will die, they will have to have a c section, they will die, etc. Any doctor who says this is not a doctor you want. Its not true.....the majority of heavy women (even women around my weight) get through pregnancy and labor with little or no complications. Any doctor with preconceived notions of how your pregnancy is gonna go is NOT a doctor you want to use. Find another one and prove them wrong!! lol

Also, theres a really great plus size pregnancy website. This website isnt letting me post a link to the web site for you because im new....but if you google plus-size-pregnancy your should find it pretty easily. On that website in a link the the owners blog. She has a ton of great info there as well!!! I highly recommend checking out both of them!! :)

Now that ive written an ULTRA long answer...im gonna stop...lol I wish you the best of luck! Let me know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

This was an amazing Post, I am not yet pregnant but i am 500 Lbs (squinting just typing that). I'm married for a year and half and i'm beginning to get pressured from family and friends about having kids and being reminded that i'm not getting any younger. oh i'm 29. Truth is i'm scared! Very scared! I want to give my husband a baby but i don't know anymore. Weight loss is so hard....My Gyny was quite blunt about all the dangers that I am likely to face becoming pregnant. I'm quite scared for me and the potential baby. I would love to talk to you more about your experiences.

Hi, I've been married for 4 years in June and have been trying to loose weight all that time, I've lost 46pounds but I'm still 260 pounds, my hubby and I agreed yesterday to start trying. Is this selfish?

I desperately want a baby all my normal sized friends have kids or sre pregnant and its getting harder and harder to be happy for them! Every time I go to the GP he just keeps saying I need to be 160pounds or less I've tried so hard to loose the weight but nothing is happening I'm healthy and fit and active........and scared!

Hi, I've been married for 4 years in June and have been trying to loose weight all that time, I've lost 46pounds but I'm still 260 pounds, my hubby and I agreed yesterday to start trying. Is this selfish?

I desperately want a baby all my normal sized friends have kids or sre pregnant and its getting harder and harder to be happy for them! Every time I go to the GP he just keeps saying I need to be 160pounds or less I've tried so hard to loose the weight but nothing is happening I'm healthy and fit and active........and scared!

Personally I don't think it's at all selfish. One of the reason's we are told to lose weight before getting pregnant is because it's harder to conceive. I thought it would take me about a year after coming of the pill as my bmi was 41, I'd been on the pill for many years, I'm 32 and I was quite a big drinker socially (they say alcohol reduces ability to conceive). 1 month off the pill and I was pregnant.

Then they say being obese in pregnancy is bad because of high blood pressure, GD and other complications but to be honest they don't look at the individual. I have always been big but I've also always been healthier and fitter than a lot of my thinner friends. I've always eaten nutritious food (just too much of it) and kept very active. In fact during this pregnancy, I have had no complications and haven't even felt that uncomfortable until now (am 2 weeks til dd) and I think that's because I'm quite used to carrying extra weight. Quite a few people I know who are thin and pregnant have been in and out of hospital with complications and find getting around harder cos they aren't used to the extra weight.

At the end of the day, I hate the fact that we are treated like idiots and irresponsible for being obese and pregnant and I think if you generally feel fit and healthy there is absolutely nothing that should stop you ttc. Good luck!!

I am obese. My bmi is 41. I think most days i just look fat but some days more recently i am looking fat and pregnant. Nobody i haven't told has commented on my pregnancy which i conclude as me just looking fat still! X

:thumbup:Hi girls I am 12 weeks and just had ultrasound number two. I have P.C.O.S and am Obese. Hubby and I had our daughter when i was 17, he was 18 and 17 years later after a health kick, joining a gym and green juicing I fell pregnant at 34 years old in Feb around our 15th year Anniversary. I am extremely tired and now I am in the 2nd trimester I want t get my butt back to swimming and treadmill action at least. I have always been a bigger person and was a size 18 with my first pregnancy but i am currently a 22/24 depending on the make of clothes. I want to say a big THANK YOU to you woman for being honest and posting this thread. Not only does it give us someone to chat to and understand each other it also shows the ladies out there wit P.C.O.S and weight issues that they can fall pregnant.
I was always told hubby and I would need I.V.F to have another child... and yes the Doctors don't know everything...
I look forward to hearing how your all going and I wish you all the very best. Hugs from Me & The jelly bean ( who I think is a blue one)

I have a question.... If your BMI is really high are you still able to give birth in a normal hospital environment? Mine was over 30 at my booking in appt and now it has gone up with putting on the pregnancy weight :blush:

My mw hasn't even mentioned my weight being an issue but looking at some of the comments, it seems some of you have? I had the GTT at 27 weeks which was fine, and haven't had any problems in pregnancy.... haven't had anything mentioned about not being able to get an epi for the pain etc?x

:thumbup:Hi girls I am 12 weeks and just had ultrasound number two. I have P.C.O.S and am Obese. Hubby and I had our daughter when i was 17, he was 18 and 17 years later after a health kick, joining a gym and green juicing I fell pregnant at 34 years old in Feb around our 15th year Anniversary. I am extremely tired and now I am in the 2nd trimester I want t get my butt back to swimming and treadmill action at least. I have always been a bigger person and was a size 18 with my first pregnancy but i am currently a 22/24 depending on the make of clothes. I want to say a big THANK YOU to you woman for being honest and posting this thread. Not only does it give us someone to chat to and understand each other it also shows the ladies out there wit P.C.O.S and weight issues that they can fall pregnant.
I was always told hubby and I would need I.V.F to have another child... and yes the Doctors don't know everything...
I look forward to hearing how your all going and I wish you all the very best. Hugs from Me & The jelly bean ( who I think is a blue one)

https://lmtf.lilypie.com/fsQ0p10.png

Numbers are hard but I'm going to share mine. I was actually on my way to gastric bypass. Im 5'4" and was 340 lbs. I had to diet for 6 months per insurance to have them cover the surgery and lo and behold right after the 5th month, I came out pregnant. I think at that time I was 332ish, of course not successful which is why I was going for the bypass.

During my 1st trimester, I actually lost about 20 lbs. I don't know if I was eating better because of the baby or just nauseous and not wanting to eat at all. I'm in my third trimester now and I'm back to where I started so technically I haven't gained any weight. The doctors recommend only gaining 15 lbs when you are overweight or obese.

I am showing a bit. People tend to notice that I'm pregnant. I don't know if they think I'm 8 months along or just a little but some people don't show at all. You will show more with your 2nd child also. I am still in my regular clothes. I didnt buy maternity cause it didnt seem worth it. I did get (I can't believe I'm sharing this) underwear that was 1 & 2 sizes bigger and jeans 1 & 2 sizes bigger. I bought a few shirts at the Avenue that look like maternity and I'm not sure that I will wear them after 'cause it will make me look pregnant when I'm not lol.

It is hard to deal with pregnancy when you are obese, especially as large as I am. You want to have a cute round pregnancy belly and that's just not going to happen. You don't get to have the cute clothes but rest assured that your baby will be just as healthy and that's really what matters.

Just wanted to say Thank you For sharing your story xx

Helllooo. Seee iv had the same problem, i am in my first trimester. i only found out last week that i was pregnant, and i am so scared that something is going to go wrong and i really dont want that happening. I would love to tlk to someone whos more like me to know a bit more about what the docs say ectect. xx Everyone i speak to are small tiny girls. :( x Hope to hear from you soon x:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey! Congrats on being pregnant!!!! :happydance: The first trimester can be scary but im sure you will be ok! How far along are you? A large percentage of miscarriages happen before a woman even knows she is pregnant...so if you tested positive thats already a plus! Take it easy, get your rest, take prenatals (make sure your getting your folic acid!!! SOOO IMPORTANT!!!!) and just take care of yourself. :thumbup:

I was really nervous throughout my first trimester...but it went very smoothly. Every week you pass lowers your risk of miscarriage and by the time you reach 12/13 weeks the risk is very low. Just take it one day at a time and try not to worry (easy to say...but hard 2 do...I know :winkwink: )

As for doctors, my Ob/gyn is GREAT! Shes been my gyno for years so she knows me and she knows my body. She has never even mentioned my weight (I have...lol... she says Im young and healthy.. and doesnt appear worried) The first apt I had they did a transvaginal ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and make sure it was viable. At my second and third appt she tried to use the doppler but couldnt pick up the heartbeat through my fat so we did tranvaginal ultrasounds again to check the baby. Since then, she hasnt tried the doppler anymore.... she just has the us machine set up..I graduated to abdominal ultrasounds by my 4th appointment. **This doesnt mean you will have this prob...I really have a large amount of stomach fat in the way.

Whenever they do an abdominal ultrasound (or tried to use the doppler) I would hold up my belly so she could get the machines in closer to the baby. This may be helpful for you if you end up having trouble w/ an ultrasound or doppler. If your doctor doesnt suggest it, you may want to offer... It def can make a HUGE difference.

Now at my doctor, they send you to a different office for the comprehensive ultrasounds. I went at 13 weeks for a ultrascreen (checking for chromosonal disorders) and at 20 weeks (2nd trimester comprehensive us) and then 23 weeks for a follow up. The 13 week scan was pretty easy. The baby was still lower then and lifting up my belly gave the technichion a good look at him. The 20 week was tougher as my uterus/baby had grown up more in my abdomen so going under the belly didnt produce as clear a picture but going over the belly also wasnt great. They were able to see a bunch of what they wanted to see but it wasnt very clear. They had me come in at 23 weeks for a follow up. They were able to see what they couldnt see before...still not ultra clear... but the doctor overseeing the ultrasound seemed pretty comfortable with it. This doctor also used some different techniques that the doctor at 20 weeks didnt use..this made a big difference in getting a good picture of what she wanted to see. :)

The ultrasound doctor told me to make another appointment for 5-6 weeks from now. Shes assuming that my doctor will want me to come for more frequent ultrasounds as it is hard to measure the growth of my baby through measuring my uterus.

My doctor did have me take the gestational diabetes test early and now I have to take in again in a couple of weeks. It wouldnt surprise me if I have to take it a third time as well. My dad is diabetic which puts me at high risk for gestational and so does being obese...so its a double whammy! lol Hopefully the 2nd test will be ok. **cross fingers**

Right now, my OB/GYN is on maternity leave (ironic huh?) she will be back in sept. Until then I am seeing other doctors in the practice. I find it very nerve wracking to go to the other doctors... I went to one last week...she wasnt mean or anything but also wasnt very warm. Im trying another doctor (who my doctor highly recommended) for my August appointment.

There are rumors (through doctors and on the internet) that you may not feel your baby move or it may take longer if your heavier....well I can tell you that wasnt true in my case (and I am MUCH MUCH heavier then the average obese woman). I started feeling occasional movement around 18 weeks...there was a couple of times before then that I thought I felt him...but its hard to tell at first. Over weeks 19/20/21/22 I started feeling him more and more...now at week 23 I often feel him moving, mostly just little movements still...but sometimes ill feel a big kick and I even felt him have the hiccups already! Its awesome to feel him!! I love it... sometimes if I press gently on my belly he will squirm or kick me in protest...you cant feel it from the outside yet...but im SURE that I will get to the point as he gets bigger. Which is exciting!

I dont really look pregnant right now....just bigger...but im expecting I will eventually look more pregnant then fat..lol.

If you have any questions let me know!!! I remember how I felt in my 1st trimester and how I still feel sometimes....it is so much better to get the questions off your chest and get some support!! Also..when it comes to choosing your doctor..if you dont already have an ob/gyn you trust dont be afraid to try a few different ones until you find a supportive doctor who you like and trust. If any doctor is unkind to you then find another one! Also, although it hasnt happened to me, I have heard stories of doctors telling big women that they cant possibly carry a baby, they will complications, baby will die, they will have to have a c section, they will die, etc. Any doctor who says this is not a doctor you want. Its not true.....the majority of heavy women (even women around my weight) get through pregnancy and labor with little or no complications. Any doctor with preconceived notions of how your pregnancy is gonna go is NOT a doctor you want to use. Find another one and prove them wrong!! lol

Also, theres a really great plus size pregnancy website. This website isnt letting me post a link to the web site for you because im new....but if you google plus-size-pregnancy your should find it pretty easily. On that website in a link the the owners blog. She has a ton of great info there as well!!! I highly recommend checking out both of them!! :)

Now that ive written an ULTRA long answer...im gonna stop...lol I wish you the best of luck! Let me know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Suprisepreg Thank you! I am a larger big girl myself and I am 12+ weeks right now.. I can't tell you what a relief it is to have you here and sharing your wisdom. Thank you! you have really made me relax a bit more about things xxx :thumbup:

I can't remeber if I've posted in here or not...

I'm obese and pregnant. Yep, it takes a while before you look pregnant, but it does happen! Also because of my weight and lack of periods (possibly due to PCOS though I don't have all that many symptoms) OH and I didn't worry about protection for many many years. In 8 years I had one miscarriage when I didn't even know I was pregnant till it happened, then this current pregnancy.

I am 4'10" and a UK size 22. He's my bump at 37 weeks, I'll be 39 weeks tomorrow.

Congrats you look Perfect! xx:thumbup:

I have a question.... If your BMI is really high are you still able to give birth in a normal hospital environment? Mine was over 30 at my booking in appt and now it has gone up with putting on the pregnancy weight :blush:

My mw hasn't even mentioned my weight being an issue but looking at some of the comments, it seems some of you have? I had the GTT at 27 weeks which was fine, and haven't had any problems in pregnancy.... haven't had anything mentioned about not being able to get an epi for the pain etc?x

My BMi was 39 by the time I was ready to give birth and I had no problems what so ever, I had an epi too and again, it went perfectly...

None of the midwives or hospital staff made an issue of my weight, my birth experience was no different than anyone else's, I have total confidence you will be fine. Even if there were complications and you needed a c section, you would be completely fine, they would give you a spinal like with everyone else!

Good luck and enjoy the birth

Hi ladies, huge congrats to you all, I'm 27 years old an I.weigh 18.5 stones, my fs told me I wasn't ovulating regular an my right tube is blocked, going back in May to see what us what, my other half has a low sperm count, he is 46, we been trying for 7 years now an I'm so depressed :-( I'm just hoping an praying this is ny month I really am
So pleased for all of you for being pregnant am happy !!! Take care x x x x x

Wishing you lots of luck! I am 360 lbs (sigh), diabetic, 32, and we got pregnant straight away once my blood sugar was under good control. There are some good things about being this big and pregnant--I'm not obsessing about getting stretch marks or losing my figure, that ship has sailed! ;). Finding nice clothes is a little tough, but it often is when you're this big. I'm starting to show now, although no strangers have ventured a word yet. People are quite cautious when you're a big girl, which is just fine with me. I tell people every chance I get! Hope you get your BFP soon. :)

Normal way obesity is not good as we know. Obesity can lead lots of trouble in a future. but if women are facing obesity during pregnancy then it is more typical and dangerous for women.

you have face lots of complication during and after pregnancy.

but if you are obese no worry about it you just need better medical observation.

Best of Luck

I am also Obese and worried i am 5 Weeks and a few days .... we just found out a few days ago that we are pregnant not planned it just happened and we are soo happy..... but that element of being overweight and pregnant is worrying me ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"