Is anyone obese and pregnant?

im obese..thats me in my avatar taken a week ago..I have underactive thyroid..however the joys of gestational diabetes and hyperemesis..means Im now lighter at 32 weeks than I was when I conceived!

hey everyone i am new on here plus i am obese and pregnant for the third time i have a daughter named tianna and i had a miscarriage and i have recently found out i am pregnant again 5 weeks and 2 days to be exact. this wasnt a planned pregnancy as really wanted to lose weight first before having another but there we go its happened and i am very happy just constantly worried about the health complications associated with being obese its actually giving me sleepless nights. i am 5ft 7 and i weigh 23 stone and i am the biggest i have ever been and i am really scared about putting on any more weight and would actually love to lose some if i could.would just love to hear any advice or simular experiences and if anyone can suggest a healthy way to lose weight but still ensure the baby is getting all the vital nutrients and vitamins any advice would be so appreciated as i feel really alone at the mo. to the lovely lady who started the thread i really hope it happens for you soon. to the lady who posted the pic you def look pregnant without a doubt sorry for not knowing your names i couldnt remember what they were. would also love to make some friends on here thanks for reading :flower:

The best thing i would suggest is just eat healthy throughout the pregnancy and dont go overboard really.

I am big and although i have 'mummy tummy' im back to my pre pregnancy weight and was after maybe 3 weeks :) I still have alot of weight to lose but am glad im back down to how i was.

thank you i appreciate the advice just feel so scared all the time i am def gonna watch what i eat and continue going swimming which i find is a relaxing way to exercise and then get my bum into gear afterwards and lose the weight once and for all easier said then done :haha:

also congrats to all the ladies that have given birth recently how amazing that feeling is and makes all the worrying worht it :flower:

I just found this forum today , I am almost 18 weeks pregnant and weigh 21 stone, I have had an appointment today with my gyny to discuss their worry about my weight , I have a BMI of 47. I recently lost 5 stone , before finding out I was pregnant, but obviously I am still very overweight.

Everything so far has been good , all tests ok , blood pressure was a little high to start but has settled down to normal now, this is my first baby so am a little scared to be honest , I felt ok until my appointment today when they started discussing appointments with anaestetists and diabetes tests , they have also recommended I have a 34 weeks scan to check on the position of the baby.

I just really wanted some advice from other people who are my size who may have had a baby , what was your experience , did you have any problems, I am really worried that I wont be able to have a natural birth , or at worst that something will go wrong , as they have made it sound that I am at risk of dying in childbirth?

I was 20 stone when I conceived, my glucose tolerance test came back normal and I have had a really easy pregnancy (didn't even get morning sickness). Weighed myself yesterday and still weigh 20 stone - go figure!!
This is my first baby too, so was a bit worried by all the tutting at the beginning of the pregnancy but it's all been smooth sailing so don't worry too much about your weight. If something makes things a bit more complicated, cross that bridge when you come to it, but that could happen to anyone regardless of their weight.
Go for the 34 week scan, wish they offered me one - anything for extra pictures!!!

Thanks ladies for all your advice and honesty. I have only just joined this site after searching for somewhere where I would find like minded people in similar situations as some days I think i'm going mad. My husband and I are despearte to start a family but the one thing holding us back is my weight...I researched obesity and pregnancy and scared the hell out of myself. I started weight watchers and have lost 2 stone but am still 'obese'. It drives me crazy every day seeing mothers and babies and having a aching feeling inside. :cry:

Your stories have shown that obese women can have healthy babies and healthy pregnancies and I can see there is a great support netwrok here...what a wonderful place! We would like to start TTC at the end of this year and your stories have made me feel better about doing so even if I haven't lost all the extra weight. THANK YOU! xx :thumbup:

I'm obese 250lbs when I conceived (sorry I don't know how to convert to stone) but I am having a healthy pregnancy so far and have a nice bump going on. It started to shape and round out more than just the flab i was used to sucking in (which I can't do anymore) and I am 23 weeks, My cousin who i assume was overweight when she got pg looks about the same as I do and she is 31 weeks. I think it just depends.

Hiya everyone,
i am soooo glad i see this post.
i too am obese but not yet pregnant. i am trying to concieve at the moment. im just under 19st and about 5'8. im only 19 but i have a stable job and so does my partner, plus we have out own place before people think im being silly :) iv been looking all over the internet about the complications, iv had my mum telling me that ill have to lose weight or id lose the baby, i havent seen many larger women pregnant. i have gone doctors for all sorts of checks to see if i can concieve. i check my fertility calender. i tend not to think about it too much. im worried because diabetes runs in my family and i dont wanna cause harm to my unborn. but just by reading all these comments and seeing these pictures it has helped me so much. i was starting to get depressed, reading all the bad stuff on the internet really made me think it was going to be impossible to concieve unless i lost weight. Every month i pray i dont start my period and i do, makes me feel like rubbish to be honest. iv been on diets and i just love my food too much. i eat healthly aswell..
but i would like to say a HUGE thankyou to all you larger ladys out there who have helped me so much just by typing a paragraph. i know there probbaly going to be complications BUT i am still young and i can survive these.
if anyone has any tips on how to concieve please let me know. not the nitty gritty bits but just easier ways. i know that as soon as i do fall pregnant i will be MAJORLY careful. x
thank you everyone xx

many hugs xxxxx and CONGRATULATIONS to you all xxx

Craving, I weighed very close to what you do right now when I got pregnant, I had an amazing pregnancy (I can't wait to do it again!) with no complications other than my stubborn little girl decided she'd rather sit up straight then go head down which resulted in me needing a csection to get her out.

It helps to have a doctor that doesn't make a big deal out of it, if they know you're healthy despite your weight it makes a big difference. Good luck hon :hugs:

Hi ladies,

I am classed as overweight. I was overweight when i got pregnant. I don't look that bad my pre pregnancy dress size was 14 bottom and 16 top - i have 38F boobies :)

I have gained about 9lbs this pregnancy. I had gained more but joined slimming world at 22 weeks as i had gained 18lbs and was horrified. I lost 11lbs in 5 weeks before i went on holiday and felt great.

You are able to follow slimming world during pregnancy and my advice to all overweight expectant mothers would be if you are concerned give it a go. I never expected to lose weight as was just happy staying the same.

I will continue going to slimming world after the birth to lose 3 1/2 stone or there abouts.

My target is to be a size 12 top and bottom and hoping to be there by Christmas.

I only ever joined slimming groups years ago because of my weight and not how i looked. I was shocked that at 5 "8 i could wear size 14 jeans that were too big and weigh 13st12! No one believed what i weighed! x

The only problems you will find is if you are over 100kg in weight you cannot be midwife led and have to use a consultant delivery ward to have the baby. Most units have a weight limit on using the birth pools as well which i also think is 100kg's.

I am MW led and she told me this last week at my appointment x

I guess it depends where you are, I'm definitely over that and I would have had the same options as a skinny woman when it came to doctor/midwife and when it came to having my baby including the tub.

Try Rocking.
thanks so much. i do eat healthly and i do excercise. it is so good to know that other larger women have had succesfull pregnancys. i am aware that ill probably need a c section but i wont mind. iv prepared myself.
i will keep everyone updated and HOPEFULLY ill be a mummy-to-be soon :) xxxx

The only reason I required a c-section was because my little girl was breech, otherwise it would have been fine for me to have her vaginally. I'm hoping for my next one I'll be able to do it vaginally!

Good luck hon! :hugs:

Hiya!

Just popping over from 2nd tri.

I am obese and pregnant with my first. No health issues, my blood pressure is dead on perfect/normal. I feel fantastic! I am 4'11" and 220ish pounds/98kg.

Here I am at 17 weeks. My boobs used to stick out way further than my tummy (E cup) so I think I look pregnant already. :happydance:

Attachments

• bump2.jpg
    bump2.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 44
You definitely look pregnant, I love your bump! Congratulations on a healthy pregnancy!! :hugs:

I had a BMI of 30.2 before getting pregnant and it took me 14 months of TTC before getting lucky. I know that having a BMI over 30 increases the chance of gestational diabetes (which I tested positive for and am controlling through diet). It's interesting that most of the ladies in the antenatal diabetic clinic I attend are big (as in much larger than me) and I would say a good 80% to 90% of them have a BMI much higher than mine. I know that we've all got bumps in the clinic, but I was going more off arms, shoulder width and thighs.

Back to the original post in the thread, it's supposed to make TTC easier if you weigh less, probably because of hormones and the risk of PCOS.

Good luck, I hope you get lucky soon with TTC :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->