Is anyone obese and pregnant?

Helllo everyone. Just a bit of news. Iv just found out im pregnant. Only 4 weeks but still very happy. Anyone got any advise for me xx

Congratulations! My advice is to enjoy your pregnancy! :hugs:

Hi ladies, Im was about 15 1/2 stone when I had my booking in appointment for this pregnancy and as Im quite short that gives me a BMI of 38. I have had the all clear on my GTT and my 2 extra growth scans have come back fine, baby is growing well, and within the guidelines for how much it should be weighing. At all of my appointments, we have been able to find the heartbeat with no problems.

I am a bit heavier this pregnancy than when I had my son, but people seemed to be able to tell earlier that I was PG and not just fat lol. I quite like my bump, its quite obvious its a baby bump, even though its still a bit 'flabby' at the bottom.

This photo was taken at approx 30 weeks I think

bump.jpg

Hi,

I just saw this site. :) I am very very overweight, larger I believe then anyone who posted on this site so far.

I am 26 years old, 5'7" (a little more) and weigh 432 lbs. I am also 23 weeks pregnant. I was not planning this pregnancy..it was a complete surprise. I honestly thought it would be hard for me to get pregnant plus I was on birth control. I guess it was meant to be. :)

Despite my weight, I am fairly active and eat decently. I lost a little weight in the 1st trimester and have stayed pretty much the same throughout the 2nd.

Of course I worry about whether there will be any complications with my pregnancy but so far everything is going as well as possible. My little boy appears healthy....all tests came back fine and I feel him squirming around all the time.

I have had to have a lot more ultrasounds then is normal..which I dont love..... I worry if too many ultrasounds is ok for my munchkin.

I pray every day that my pregnancy will continue to go smoothly...and every week that things are still going well, I am thankful!

I wish all of you beautiful women the best of luck with your pregnancies/current children!

hi hun why not join this group its very good https://www.babyandbump.com/pregnancy-club/326145-any-big-mommas-out-there.html

Hi everyone! I'm obese and pregnant too! My BMI is around 35ish. I have a problem with yo-yoing...losing, gaining, losing, gaining...anyone have this problem too? I lost 45 lbs for my wedding last September, and had just barely reached the "healthy" end of the BMI scale. Unfortunately, I think I was a bit too restrictive, because after the wedding, it didn't take long for me to gain it all back...then I fell pregnant, and it just went downhill from there.
I'm glad to know I'm not alone though, it makes me feel better :) I have a lot of days where I'm really down on myself because of how big I've gotten :(

Hi girlies

I am 'obese' too (urgh hate that word!) and I think my BMI was 39 at my booking in appointment. All throughout my pregnancy I've worried because I'm bigger, however I have had no problems. I had bad morning sickness to begin with, but that went at 14 weeks and I have had the usual pregnancy gripes, a couple of UTIs, etc but nothing other than that. I just wanted to say that you can have a normal pregnancy even if you are overweight. I've just been for my final growth scan today and although baby is measuring on the bigger side, the doctor is happy that she is healthy and has given me the all clear to use the midwife led unit and birthing pool, etc. At points throughout my pregnancy, I have been made to feel bad about my weight, mainly cheeky sonographers making comments about having "lots more mum to get through" when scanning me, but I have to say it's never been an issue with midwives and doctors. My BP is fine and I don't have GD. So remember to just enjoy your pregnancies, eat a balanced diet and keep active as much as you can, but don't beat yourself up about it. Being a bit bigger does NOT mean you will have complications. Oh and Don't worry about looking pregnant, it took me a bit longer but there is no mistaking my baby bump now!

xx

I agree Emzywemzy! I have had no problems so far. My doctor made me do the GD test twice because of my size, and I passed both times. I had high blood pressure at one appointment which kind of scared me, but since that appointment, it's been normal. My doctor has warned me that I have a higher chance of having a large baby, and I have a growth scan in 3 weeks to see...but I'm not too worried about it. I'm not saying I won't develop complications later on in my pregnancy, but so far so good!

Hi,

I just saw this site. :) I am very very overweight, larger I believe then anyone who posted on this site so far.

I am 26 years old, 5'7" (a little more) and weigh 432 lbs. I am also 23 weeks pregnant. I was not planning this pregnancy..it was a complete surprise. I honestly thought it would be hard for me to get pregnant plus I was on birth control. I guess it was meant to be. :)

Despite my weight, I am fairly active and eat decently. I lost a little weight in the 1st trimester and have stayed pretty much the same throughout the 2nd.

Of course I worry about whether there will be any complications with my pregnancy but so far everything is going as well as possible. My little boy appears healthy....all tests came back fine and I feel him squirming around all the time.

I have had to have a lot more ultrasounds then is normal..which I dont love..... I worry if too many ultrasounds is ok for my munchkin.

I pray every day that my pregnancy will continue to go smoothly...and every week that things are still going well, I am thankful!

I wish all of you beautiful women the best of luck with your pregnancies/current children!

Helllooo. Seee iv had the same problem, i am in my first trimester. i only found out last week that i was pregnant, and i am so scared that something is going to go wrong and i really dont want that happening. I would love to tlk to someone whos more like me to know a bit more about what the docs say ectect. xx Everyone i speak to are small tiny girls. :( x Hope to hear from you soon x:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Helllooo. Seee iv had the same problem, i am in my first trimester. i only found out last week that i was pregnant, and i am so scared that something is going to go wrong and i really dont want that happening. I would love to tlk to someone whos more like me to know a bit more about what the docs say ectect. xx Everyone i speak to are small tiny girls. :( x Hope to hear from you soon x:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey! Congrats on being pregnant!!!! :happydance: The first trimester can be scary but im sure you will be ok! How far along are you? A large percentage of miscarriages happen before a woman even knows she is pregnant...so if you tested positive thats already a plus! Take it easy, get your rest, take prenatals (make sure your getting your folic acid!!! SOOO IMPORTANT!!!!) and just take care of yourself. :thumbup:

I was really nervous throughout my first trimester...but it went very smoothly. Every week you pass lowers your risk of miscarriage and by the time you reach 12/13 weeks the risk is very low. Just take it one day at a time and try not to worry (easy to say...but hard 2 do...I know :winkwink: )

As for doctors, my Ob/gyn is GREAT! Shes been my gyno for years so she knows me and she knows my body. She has never even mentioned my weight (I have...lol... she says Im young and healthy.. and doesnt appear worried) The first apt I had they did a transvaginal ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and make sure it was viable. At my second and third appt she tried to use the doppler but couldnt pick up the heartbeat through my fat so we did tranvaginal ultrasounds again to check the baby. Since then, she hasnt tried the doppler anymore.... she just has the us machine set up..I graduated to abdominal ultrasounds by my 4th appointment. **This doesnt mean you will have this prob...I really have a large amount of stomach fat in the way.

Whenever they do an abdominal ultrasound (or tried to use the doppler) I would hold up my belly so she could get the machines in closer to the baby. This may be helpful for you if you end up having trouble w/ an ultrasound or doppler. If your doctor doesnt suggest it, you may want to offer... It def can make a HUGE difference.

Now at my doctor, they send you to a different office for the comprehensive ultrasounds. I went at 13 weeks for a ultrascreen (checking for chromosonal disorders) and at 20 weeks (2nd trimester comprehensive us) and then 23 weeks for a follow up. The 13 week scan was pretty easy. The baby was still lower then and lifting up my belly gave the technichion a good look at him. The 20 week was tougher as my uterus/baby had grown up more in my abdomen so going under the belly didnt produce as clear a picture but going over the belly also wasnt great. They were able to see a bunch of what they wanted to see but it wasnt very clear. They had me come in at 23 weeks for a follow up. They were able to see what they couldnt see before...still not ultra clear... but the doctor overseeing the ultrasound seemed pretty comfortable with it. This doctor also used some different techniques that the doctor at 20 weeks didnt use..this made a big difference in getting a good picture of what she wanted to see. :)

The ultrasound doctor told me to make another appointment for 5-6 weeks from now. Shes assuming that my doctor will want me to come for more frequent ultrasounds as it is hard to measure the growth of my baby through measuring my uterus.

My doctor did have me take the gestational diabetes test early and now I have to take in again in a couple of weeks. It wouldnt surprise me if I have to take it a third time as well. My dad is diabetic which puts me at high risk for gestational and so does being obese...so its a double whammy! lol Hopefully the 2nd test will be ok. **cross fingers**

Right now, my OB/GYN is on maternity leave (ironic huh?) she will be back in sept. Until then I am seeing other doctors in the practice. I find it very nerve wracking to go to the other doctors... I went to one last week...she wasnt mean or anything but also wasnt very warm. Im trying another doctor (who my doctor highly recommended) for my August appointment.

There are rumors (through doctors and on the internet) that you may not feel your baby move or it may take longer if your heavier....well I can tell you that wasnt true in my case (and I am MUCH MUCH heavier then the average obese woman). I started feeling occasional movement around 18 weeks...there was a couple of times before then that I thought I felt him...but its hard to tell at first. Over weeks 19/20/21/22 I started feeling him more and more...now at week 23 I often feel him moving, mostly just little movements still...but sometimes ill feel a big kick and I even felt him have the hiccups already! Its awesome to feel him!! I love it... sometimes if I press gently on my belly he will squirm or kick me in protest...you cant feel it from the outside yet...but im SURE that I will get to the point as he gets bigger. Which is exciting!

I dont really look pregnant right now....just bigger...but im expecting I will eventually look more pregnant then fat..lol.

If you have any questions let me know!!! I remember how I felt in my 1st trimester and how I still feel sometimes....it is so much better to get the questions off your chest and get some support!! Also..when it comes to choosing your doctor..if you dont already have an ob/gyn you trust dont be afraid to try a few different ones until you find a supportive doctor who you like and trust. If any doctor is unkind to you then find another one! Also, although it hasnt happened to me, I have heard stories of doctors telling big women that they cant possibly carry a baby, they will complications, baby will die, they will have to have a c section, they will die, etc. Any doctor who says this is not a doctor you want. Its not true.....the majority of heavy women (even women around my weight) get through pregnancy and labor with little or no complications. Any doctor with preconceived notions of how your pregnancy is gonna go is NOT a doctor you want to use. Find another one and prove them wrong!! lol

Also, theres a really great plus size pregnancy website. This website isnt letting me post a link to the web site for you because im new....but if you google plus-size-pregnancy your should find it pretty easily. On that website in a link the the owners blog. She has a ton of great info there as well!!! I highly recommend checking out both of them!! :)

Now that ive written an ULTRA long answer...im gonna stop...lol I wish you the best of luck! Let me know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Hey! Congrats on being pregnant!!!! :happydance: The first trimester can be scary but im sure you will be ok! How far along are you? A large percentage of miscarriages happen before a woman even knows she is pregnant...so if you tested positive thats already a plus! Take it easy, get your rest, take prenatals (make sure your getting your folic acid!!! SOOO IMPORTANT!!!!) and just take care of yourself. :thumbup:

I was really nervous throughout my first trimester...but it went very smoothly. Every week you pass lowers your risk of miscarriage and by the time you reach 12/13 weeks the risk is very low. Just take it one day at a time and try not to worry (easy to say...but hard 2 do...I know :winkwink: )

As for doctors, my Ob/gyn is GREAT! Shes been my gyno for years so she knows me and she knows my body. She has never even mentioned my weight (I have...lol... she says Im young and healthy.. and doesnt appear worried) The first apt I had they did a transvaginal ultrasound to confirm pregnancy and make sure it was viable. At my second and third appt she tried to use the doppler but couldnt pick up the heartbeat through my fat so we did tranvaginal ultrasounds again to check the baby. Since then, she hasnt tried the doppler anymore.... she just has the us machine set up..I graduated to abdominal ultrasounds by my 4th appointment. **This doesnt mean you will have this prob...I really have a large amount of stomach fat in the way.

Whenever they do an abdominal ultrasound (or tried to use the doppler) I would hold up my belly so she could get the machines in closer to the baby. This may be helpful for you if you end up having trouble w/ an ultrasound or doppler. If your doctor doesnt suggest it, you may want to offer... It def can make a HUGE difference.

Now at my doctor, they send you to a different office for the comprehensive ultrasounds. I went at 13 weeks for a ultrascreen (checking for chromosonal disorders) and at 20 weeks (2nd trimester comprehensive us) and then 23 weeks for a follow up. The 13 week scan was pretty easy. The baby was still lower then and lifting up my belly gave the technichion a good look at him. The 20 week was tougher as my uterus/baby had grown up more in my abdomen so going under the belly didnt produce as clear a picture but going over the belly also wasnt great. They were able to see a bunch of what they wanted to see but it wasnt very clear. They had me come in at 23 weeks for a follow up. They were able to see what they couldnt see before...still not ultra clear... but the doctor overseeing the ultrasound seemed pretty comfortable with it. This doctor also used some different techniques that the doctor at 20 weeks didnt use..this made a big difference in getting a good picture of what she wanted to see. :)

The ultrasound doctor told me to make another appointment for 5-6 weeks from now. Shes assuming that my doctor will want me to come for more frequent ultrasounds as it is hard to measure the growth of my baby through measuring my uterus.

My doctor did have me take the gestational diabetes test early and now I have to take in again in a couple of weeks. It wouldnt surprise me if I have to take it a third time as well. My dad is diabetic which puts me at high risk for gestational and so does being obese...so its a double whammy! lol Hopefully the 2nd test will be ok. **cross fingers**

Right now, my OB/GYN is on maternity leave (ironic huh?) she will be back in sept. Until then I am seeing other doctors in the practice. I find it very nerve wracking to go to the other doctors... I went to one last week...she wasnt mean or anything but also wasnt very warm. Im trying another doctor (who my doctor highly recommended) for my August appointment.

There are rumors (through doctors and on the internet) that you may not feel your baby move or it may take longer if your heavier....well I can tell you that wasnt true in my case (and I am MUCH MUCH heavier then the average obese woman). I started feeling occasional movement around 18 weeks...there was a couple of times before then that I thought I felt him...but its hard to tell at first. Over weeks 19/20/21/22 I started feeling him more and more...now at week 23 I often feel him moving, mostly just little movements still...but sometimes ill feel a big kick and I even felt him have the hiccups already! Its awesome to feel him!! I love it... sometimes if I press gently on my belly he will squirm or kick me in protest...you cant feel it from the outside yet...but im SURE that I will get to the point as he gets bigger. Which is exciting!

I dont really look pregnant right now....just bigger...but im expecting I will eventually look more pregnant then fat..lol.

If you have any questions let me know!!! I remember how I felt in my 1st trimester and how I still feel sometimes....it is so much better to get the questions off your chest and get some support!! Also..when it comes to choosing your doctor..if you dont already have an ob/gyn you trust dont be afraid to try a few different ones until you find a supportive doctor who you like and trust. If any doctor is unkind to you then find another one! Also, although it hasnt happened to me, I have heard stories of doctors telling big women that they cant possibly carry a baby, they will complications, baby will die, they will have to have a c section, they will die, etc. Any doctor who says this is not a doctor you want. Its not true.....the majority of heavy women (even women around my weight) get through pregnancy and labor with little or no complications. Any doctor with preconceived notions of how your pregnancy is gonna go is NOT a doctor you want to use. Find another one and prove them wrong!! lol

Also, theres a really great plus size pregnancy website. This website isnt letting me post a link to the web site for you because im new....but if you google plus-size-pregnancy your should find it pretty easily. On that website in a link the the owners blog. She has a ton of great info there as well!!! I highly recommend checking out both of them!! :)

Now that ive written an ULTRA long answer...im gonna stop...lol I wish you the best of luck! Let me know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!! :happydance:

Hellloo, this is by far the best answer i have had and has made me alot less scared about this whole thing.
Im only 7 weeks, still a long way to go but iv had my letter thro. I have got to go see the midwife nest tuesday and my first scans on the 15th september. I am really nervous tho. I get worried that they wont be able to scan me to see the baby because of my fat.

How much do you actually weight if you dont mind me asking, just so i have a rough idea. I love this group, its helped me out soo soo much.. Well, my doctor is a twat, im allergic to the penniciliin family and she went to give me ammoxicilin. IDIOT. So i am trying to get my normal doctor but his always off or fully booked. I am looking forward to pregnancy but i just hear alot about the difficultys. Scary. I would LOVE someone to chat to. Im only young and havent got a clue as yet. Someone help me xx

Hellloo, this is by far the best answer i have had and has made me alot less scared about this whole thing.
Im only 7 weeks, still a long way to go but iv had my letter thro. I have got to go see the midwife nest tuesday and my first scans on the 15th september. I am really nervous tho. I get worried that they wont be able to scan me to see the baby because of my fat.

How much do you actually weight if you dont mind me asking, just so i have a rough idea. I love this group, its helped me out soo soo much.. Well, my doctor is a twat, im allergic to the penniciliin family and she went to give me ammoxicilin. IDIOT. So i am trying to get my normal doctor but his always off or fully booked. I am looking forward to pregnancy but i just hear alot about the difficultys. Scary. I would LOVE someone to chat to. Im only young and havent got a clue as yet. Someone help me xx

Hey,

Try not to worry. I know its scary...but im sure you will do fine! I get scared 2 sometimes and it is completely normal but the more you try to relax the better!! (I have to remind myself about that sometimes! lol) As far as my weight, I weigh plenty more then you. lol I hate giving out my weight....but ive started doing so in hopes that it will help overweight pregnant women not to worry as much. :) I weight somewhere around 432 lbs which I believe is something like 30 stones. I dont look that heavy though..I carry it pretty well.

I am sure they will be able to do an ultrasound on you...the pictures are not quite as clear on my ultrasounds as the doctors would like...but they can still see what they need to see. I was even able to watch my son opening and closing his mouth (drinking amniotic fluid I believe) at my last ultrasound. Dont be afraid to suggest that they go under your lower abdominal fat. Thats what made early ultrasounds possible (and clear as the baby is very low at first) early on!! Let me know if there are any other questions I may be able to help you with. :)

SurprisePreg.
Yeah see im only 19. i weight about 18 and a half stone, i did weight around 20 but i lost weight before i concieved. I hear so much about the difficultys and i know its hard for larger women. And im the same, you wouldnt think i was the weight i am coz i carry it well. I just worry. Im eating healthy taking folic acid, walking more, altho i do get out of breath :( and im trying to keep positive.
I have my first scan on the 15th september so i just hope everything goes well. Im lucky because i have a fantastic family and a brilliant partner who is so supportive. Even when im screaming my head off at him LOL. i would love to tlk more with you. Add me on facebook if you have it. Im stevie-lee Montgomery. But it might come up stevie-lee hawk montgomery. I like to investigate haha. Hope to hear from you soon. and good luck with your pregnancy xxxxxx

i know alot of people who are overweight and still look pregnant :) so i wouldnt worry im sure ull get a bump even if its not obvious to everyone else atleast you will know your lo is there all wriggling and squirming... 2bh with you having a bit of weight on the belly when pregnant isint alllll that bad im literally all baby and bump and my gosh i feel likemy skin and tummy is about to split!!! :( plus you feel EVERY tiny movement and its rather uncomfy at this point!!!

Good look with your pregnancy anyways and congrats :D xxx

SurprisePreg.
Yeah see im only 19. i weight about 18 and a half stone, i did weight around 20 but i lost weight before i concieved. I hear so much about the difficultys and i know its hard for larger women. And im the same, you wouldnt think i was the weight i am coz i carry it well. I just worry. Im eating healthy taking folic acid, walking more, altho i do get out of breath :( and im trying to keep positive.
I have my first scan on the 15th september so i just hope everything goes well. Im lucky because i have a fantastic family and a brilliant partner who is so supportive. Even when im screaming my head off at him LOL. i would love to tlk more with you. Add me on facebook if you have it. Im stevie-lee Montgomery. But it might come up stevie-lee hawk montgomery. I like to investigate haha. Hope to hear from you soon. and good luck with your pregnancy xxxxxx

Hey,

I searched for your name but im not sure if I found you or not. Im gonna private msg you on here with my info so you can find me on fb. :)

It is so lovely to read this thread, I imagine some of you will have had your babies now to.
congrats :hug:

I am obese, and hoping to fall pregnant with my fourth baby, I have been very lucky in having no problems what so ever, so fingers crossed for one further time
x

Hello everyone I am new here but I just wanted to say what an inspiration you all have been to me. I am not YET pregnant but hope to start my first round of clomid either October or November. I believe my BMI is about 41 or 42 and I have PCOS which has made it difficult for me to get pregnant after 5 years of trying. I have finally found a doctor who is willing to help me out despite my weight issues so I hope the next time I post something on here it will be to share some good news. I was wondering if any other overweight or obese women on here had any trouble conceiving and if they did what type of methods did they use? Has anyone here every tried clomid?

Hey,

First of all I want to wish you the best of luck when it comes to conceiving your future baby!! I know it will happen!!! Hopefully very soon!!!

I am VERY heavy and also havebeen diagnosed with PCOS. I was not planning on getting pregnant so I dont really know which methods may or may not work. I have been told Glucophage (metformin) works well to help you concieve. I have 2 friends who both conceived on metformin.

I personally was not on metformin when I conceived my little boy and to this day I am surprised it happened. I guess it is meant to be!! I have been on Birth Control pills for the past few years but I stopped taking them regularly for a couple of months...I wonder if that for some reason helped me to get pregnant...who knows!!! :)

Im so glad that you have found a doctor who will help you conceive. Its so sad that many doctors are not open to heavy women having children...which is ridiculous as the majority have great pregnancies and healthy babies. So far at my weight which is ridiculously high...I have had no gestational diabetes...no preeclamsia (knock on wood...im getting into the danger zone for that now...ugh) no high blood pressure..etc. Baby is healthy and as of last scan, he in the 50th percentile for weight...so pretty much perfect. I do think I may have more soreness...back pain etc then slimmer women..but oh well...I already had back pain before pregnancy...so no surprise to me! lol I am still working as of now and although im tired things are going well!

So anywayz...if I can have a healthy pregnancy then so can pretty much any heavy women as long as she takes care of herself during the pregnancy.

:-D

Once again....I wish you the absolute best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us updated!

Well first of all thaks for your reply because I could really use all the advice in the world right now. I go on and off of metformin because it gives me the runs lol I know too much info right but I do notice that it helps me loose weight and even get regular periods at times. My biggest problem though is the fact that my periods are so irregular and I have to be on birth control in order to either get a period to come down or get a month long period to stop. I am obese and have believed for a very long time that my weight was stopping me from having babies but now that I see so many overweight and obese women are conceiving on their own gives me great hope. Like many women though I hope I eventually look pregnant and not just fat :( I will keep you posted on how things go with the clomid. Thanks and I wish you the best of luck with your pregnancy! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->