Is it the same at all nurseries?

ktod

Reaction score
My LO has been to nursery 5 times (he only goes 2 days a week) and he's been sent home 2 of those days. The first time was for 3 loose nappies and today was 3 times being sick.

The problem is, I really don't think there is anything wrong with him. He had gastroenteritis a few months ago and I KNOW how bad that was. His nappies the other day were only slightly loose and he is teething. He was fine in himself.

And as for being sick 3 times, well I think they're lucky, cos he's sick more than that in a day for me normally!!!!! He did have reflux when he was younger but it's improved and I'm used to him being a little sick all day now. It's nothing like it was when he was tiny.

It's really annoying me that he is so obviously not ill. I understand their policies but there doesn't seem to be any discretion applied. Do you think all nurseries are this strict cos I really can't put up with him being sent home so often :dohh:

Hi,
I'm from the ttc forums but I always nosey around!
I worked in a nursery for 2 years in the baby and toddler room so have lots of experience!
We used to follow the 3 loose nappies and being sick 3 times too...
Although if a baby was quite clearly teething their loose nappies didnt matter!
Also we had a baby with reflux who was sick numerous times a day and he was never sent home as we knew about his reflux!
Have you spoken to the nursery about his reflux? I think it's not right at all to be sending a baby home when he is clearly teething and/or has reflux! However I know that bugs and illnesses spread like wildfire around nursery and so if there is one going around then its best for the staff and the other children if a suspected case is sent home ASAP!

I would discuss all this with the nursery manager xx
Hope iv helped in some way!

Thanks, I do understand they have to protect the other children. I think I will explain to the staff about the reflux cos I kind of told them he is better now, but what I meant is he doesn't projectile vomit anymore which to me feels like he's better. He's still always a bit sick all the time but I'm just used to that!

I really wish there was a section or big thread dedicated to nursery/daycare!

My guy has been sent home for a few differnt things but usually when I let them know what going on in advance they arent so quick to call.

The reflux ought to be noted somewhere. Is it usually only a small amount he brings up? As maybe you could suggest that they concentrate on e amount rather than frequency of sick to decide if he needs to go home?

Yep mine follow the 3 rules but it has to be within a 2hr period of time and loose stool nappies have to be inspected by the manager (I assume because their experience of what's one caused by a bug vs. teething / spicy or rich food). I put reflux down on my form so they are aware that he is more susceptible to being sick through excitement or overeating, and when he has been sick on the way to nursery they've been fine about it. Some nurseries are over cautious so perhaps you should chat with them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->