January 2020 Garnets

Im amazed they have a blood test for gender now. How accurate is it?
Very - they take a blood draw and separate out the placental DNA from the maternal DNA.

Good luck for your scan later!

Hi! I don't mind answering what my name is - Donna. Personally, I hated having it growing up as it was everyone's grandmother's name. But I've since grown to like it.

We'll also be finding out the gender, but not for another 6 weeks.

Not sure if anyone would be interested (or if it's allowed to be mentioned?) but when I was in a January 2014 group on here, a lot of us decided to do a secret Facebook group, as it was easier to respond to someone's post without starting a massive thread, and I'm always on there whereas I only pop in once a day here. I'm also like Sophie where I learn who each person is better with a name (and profile pics help!). But I also know that a lot of people aren't comfortable with sharing details like that. No pressure, but if someone or a few of us want to connect on Facebook, let me know :)

Good luck with all the upcoming scans and NIPT results!

It tests for the baby's physical sex, obviously not gender, although I'm aware that's the term everyone uses :) and I'm just pedantic.

It's pretty accurate - think they advertise 99.9%. But humans are wild and amazing creatures and we aren't all just XY or XX. Like ~ 0.1% of people are intersex in one way or another, and that is sometimes not apparent until puberty, although it can be apparent at birth, if there are external effects.

I think with the blood test it’s 100% accurate unless it’s twins - they know if they find male dna then it has to be a boy as the mother has female only dna. Unless like jd says you have both, which is incredibly rare. I used to worry about having a hermaphrodite baby when I was young! Seems ridiculous now - healthy and happy is all I care about!
I think we’ll find out the gender. I’m going to ask about the harmony test which is the uk equivalent test I think. I’m more worried about the possibility of there being wrong, but I do want to find out the gender, not sure if hubby does though!

Good luck to everyone with scans due!

OnErth do you mean this is your last scan the whole pregnancy? I can’t imagine that! I think I’d go mad!

I’m going to ask about the harmony test which is the uk equivalent test I think. I’m more worried about the possibility of there being wrong, but I do want to find out the gender, not sure if hubby does though
You can get the Panorama test in the UK, but only at certain clinics. It is my test of choice as it is slightly more accurate. It does cost approx £380 though!

Ah thank you! I think it’s probably worth it for the peace of mind!

I think with the blood test it’s 100% accurate unless it’s twins - they know if they find male dna then it has to be a boy as the mother has female only dna. Unless like jd says you have both, which is incredibly rare. I used to worry about having a hermaphrodite baby when I was young! Seems ridiculous now - healthy and happy is all I care about!
I think we’ll find out the gender. I’m going to ask about the harmony test which is the uk equivalent test I think. I’m more worried about the possibility of there being wrong, but I do want to find out the gender, not sure if hubby does though!

Good luck to everyone with scans due!

OnErth do you mean this is your last scan the whole pregnancy? I can’t imagine that! I think I’d go mad!

Yes last scan of pregnancy. I only see the OB 1x. The midwife comes to the house the rest of the time. No testing, no internal checks, nothing. It's very peaceful this pregnancy compared to my others!

OnErth&InHvn- That sounds really peaceful but I don't know if I could do it. I am so used to all the checks and stuff but I am also high risk and have been for all of mine so I guess I just can't imagine any different but I am a little jealous of the relaxing ways you are going through your pregnancy!

I've never been high risk but I have had the " typical" care. Ob every visit, pokes, tests, labs, etc. It wasnt until dd2 i started declining certain things and this baby i said no to everything. Im paying for everything, even the urine dip test so it adds up and most of what the ob wants isnt actually needed in a normal healthy patient

I had my Panorama screen bloods taken yesterday and we decided to find out the sex. We didn't last time - I hate the idea of having all kinds of stupid gendered expectations of my kid before we even meet - but I also need this pregnancy to feel materially different from my last one. They keep blurring in my head, and I need to somehow internalise that I'm not pregnant with Georgia again ](*,)
Brains are awful.
I'll know in a couple weeks, I guess. Along with all the trisomies, etc.
I will have my Panorama/NIPT screen blood test next Monday, will get the results in 6-10 days. So worried about this because it all depends on this test + scan at 13 weeks.. Until then I am trying not to get too excited, haven't told any of my friends, only some relatives know. I hate waiting. Plus the bloat/belly is getting hard not to see..

Yes - it's getting very hard to hide. Fortunately I don't actually have to go out much, but when I do, it's in enormous tunic dresses and even then, if the wind blows...

One benefit of all the sickness I am having is that I have managed to lose some weight :D

I have my booking appt on Friday and hopefully after that I will be given a date for my 12 week scan. It doesn't look like I will be getting an early scan this time though so I have a bit longer to wait unfortunately.

I will probably have the Panorama test done again too. It is quite a distance to the clinic I had it done at last time so it takes some organisation!

goingforit- I have had terrible sickness, my Dr told me to try and eat 5-6 small meals through the day don't let yourself get hungry as it will make it worse and try eating cold meals/sandwiches and stuff, meals that you don't have to smell while they are cooking. Also sounds crazy but lemon, smelling a lemon, lemon water citrus soda stuff like that and I didn't think that one would work and that is really the main one that has worked for me. I know everyone is different but maybe something they told me will help you.
It feels so far away before next appt but maybe it will go quick for us!

Thank you! I will try this tomorrow. Have had my head down the loo for most of the day. Not great. I even somehow managed to wet myself whilst being sick tonight It just came from nowhere whilst I was wretching.

FitMama - thank you. I did have an ice lolly today as I'm struggling to stomach many liquids. Did you go to the doctors to get the Diclectin?

OnErth&InHvn good luck for your scan tomorrow :)

One benefit of all the sickness I am having is that I have managed to lose some weight :D

I have my booking appt on Friday and hopefully after that I will be given a date for my 12 week scan. It doesn't look like I will be getting an early scan this time though so I have a bit longer to wait unfortunately.

I will probably have the Panorama test done again too. It is quite a distance to the clinic I had it done at last time so it takes some organisation!

I could do with losing some weight so maybe it's not a bad thing me being sick. I have put on 13lb since the IVF in January.

Good luck with your booking in appointment.

I went from 147 to 152. So much for losing weight!

It's crazy to think I was walking around this time last year with a giant belly, not knowing I had cancer and I'll have a giant belly this year but a wiggly baby!

I went from 147 to 152. So much for losing weight!

It's crazy to think I was walking around this time last year with a giant belly, not knowing I had cancer and I'll have a giant belly this year but a wiggly baby!

That is crazy! Hope you don't mind me asking but did you have other symptoms?

So lovely it's changed from something awful to some incredible

That is crazy! Hope you don't mind me asking but did you have other symptoms?

So lovely it's changed from something awful to some incredible

I told people " it's like being pregnant without the baby at the end". I had those types of symptoms..tired, cramps, bleeding, nausea, back ache, etc. I was told it was a very large, nasty, ovarian cyst for a long time prior. Only at the end did they start thinking something else.
The last week, I couldn't eat, drink, poop, stand, walk. I was losing the feeling in the feet actually. I went to the ER and they said you're having emergency surgery in 2 days! It came back cancer. 40lbs, around 40cm, took 4 hours. Cut from pelvic to breasts. It was a mucus filled cancer.
No treatment luckily.

BUT I fought to save my left ovary, they wanted to take it, and now I'm pregnant because I listened to my heart.

I dont think negative of it, you dont need to feel sorry. I'll be watched and after the baby is born, theyll watch me and make sure the corpus cyst, goes away and doesnt stick around thinking it's going to join the party.

OnErth - what a crazy story with such a beautiful ending! I am so glad they caught it on time and were able to remove it with surgery alone! I’m also so glad that now you’re going to have a baby at the end of it all! So good that you fought for your left ovary.

Afm - I’m sorry, but I’m just so tired today and don’t have the energy to keep up with everyone’s posts. I am home with the kids today, which is far more tiring than work in some ways. My 2-year-old won’t nap today, so I haven’t been able to either and it’s killing me. :(

Finished my scan, the heartbeat was 171 BPM and I got to see Baby kick and wiggle!

Baby measured 9 weeks 2 days which is how far along I am by my original due date, ugh. The doctor says the 4 day difference is nothing to worry about though. I knew the new due date they gave me wasn't correct (as the baby would have had to be conceived via immaculate conception) but this still freaks me out a little, like what if Baby's growth is slowing? After 4 losses I can't help but be anxious over everything little thing. They're still keeping my new due date though. :shrug:

J.D. I asked the doctor about progesterone and she said to just quit taking it cold turkey when I run out. I'm not overly fussed about it because I wasn't on it with DS and had no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->