Learning to drive and new drivers!

shampain

Mum to Patrick! :-)
Reaction score
Hiya everyone! Well after putting out some feelers in General Chat a few people replied and seemed to think this was a good idea! So here we are a group for us just learning to drive or newly passed!
Good luck to us all!!
I will update a bit more in a while Im just in the middle of tea! xxx:wacko:

I'm here! Learning to drive, but close to test - my instructor should be booking it next week for 4-6 weeks time.

Wow thats good, im only on lesson 5 im just starting doing roundabouts! Im sooooooo scared of them and driving actually but i know i need to do it! My instructor thinks im doing well but i think im pants!! I have trouble with the clutch sometimes and stopping! which is quite an important bit of driving! Did you feel like you would never get the hang of it Lauren? x

Yes, I still feel like that :haha: I think confidence is a big thing. I had loads of lessons in Derby, but then stopped for a year when we moved up here. I've had 2 here now.

And you do get used to the clutch. Even if you stall on test though, you're ok as long as you can get the car going again safely... so take your stalling now as practice for that haha.

:wave:

hi also commented in your other thread about this, i recently passed on Friday my second attempt so i could always answer questions? i know many of you will know someone who drives, but they change the test alot

iv yet to get a car though :( but insured on a friends atm which i get frequent use of :)

Im crap at stopping, she says pull over and like 100yards later i stop lol grrrrrrr i annoy myself! x

Hiya KA92 that would be brilliant and congrats! x

Lol put your brake down fairly quickly, but steadily, and put clutch down right as you're coming to a stop.

yeah what was said above :)

basically if its pull to stop on the left check your mirror (just the middle and the left i checked the right too to make sure no one was behind me about to pull in too or anything)

indicate and begin to turn towards the kerb(or pavement sorry im scottish lol)

push your brake and as you feel thge brake beginning to tug put your cluth down, youl come to a stop(as you put the clutch down continue to brake)

handbrake and into neutral and switch indicators off :)
x

dont worry btw i was a very bad driver for the first few weeks but i managed to pass only after 6 months of lessons :)

you get i tihnk 15 minors in your test, so they could be stalling :)

as long as your quick to notice your mistake and fix it in test they wont fail you :)

This book is fab for practical stuff; https://shop.theaa.com/store/books/driving-skills-manual-aa-driving-test-series-paperback

I would highly recommend it!

I hate roundabouts with a passion! Anyone got any tips?

Cheers for the advice I think my problem is I'm scared of my breaks slamming on so j don't brake hard enough!? My lessons are every Thursday so I will be keeping you updated! I've no advice on roundabout yet Hun as i've only done 2 but I know the rule is give way to your right x x x

I hate roundabouts with a passion! Anyone got any tips?

What is it you struggle with most with them?

As you approach you'll need to slow down. You want to be in a lower gear (2-3) if it is free to go (no-one coming from the right), or gear 1 if you need to stop and wait.

For turning left/first exit;
- centre mirror, left mirror
- signal left
- left lane
- look right, left, right
As you're leaving;
- look left and left blind spot
- keep signalling left
- stay left lane
- look left and ahead

For turning right;
- centre mirror, right mirror
- signal right
- right lane
As you're leaving;
- left and left blind spot
- signal left after you pass the exit before the one you want
- stay right lane
- left mirror and blind spot

For straight ahead;
- main mirror
- no signal
- left lane (middle if busy)
As you're leaving;
- left and left blind spot
- signal left after you pass the exit before the one you want
- stay in right lane (or middle - whichever you are in)
- left mirror and blind spot

HTH

pretty much what lauren kate said,

if your told to turn off second left(thats straight ahead but dunno how they say it in diff places) wait until you pass the first left roadbefore indicating,

dont indicate as you approach first left, wait until youv just passed YOUR entrance to it(two sides to a road so on the other side, after you pass the road in which you would turn into if giong first left) indicate :)

also be aware that on approach some people will speed around the roundabouts and many people dont indicate so approach catiously checking the road way before you go :)

x

Another point to add on what KA92 said;

If you're unsure whether someone is turning off or not (not having indicated or anything), then wait for them to start turning off - when you know what they're doing, then you can go.

Another point to add on what KA92 said;

If you're unsure whether someone is turning off or not (not having indicated or anything), then wait for them to start turning off - when you know what they're doing, then you can go.

exactly!

always if in doubt wait! be it roundabouts junctions manovers :)

the worst thing the examiner would do is give you a minor for undue hesitation! :)
x

Which is better than crashing into a driver not knowing what he's doing. :thumbup: I'd hate to fail my test because of someone else haha.

After writing that bit about roundabouts... I've realised it's much easier to ACTUALLY drive than to think about it and write it all down. Same when I was trying to write notes on how to do my maneuvres (sp?) the other day.

:cry:

i failed my first time as i went round a ruondabout onto a weak bridge that was 30mph

a guy came zooming up behind me at 50 and the woman(who wasnt a dundee examiner) told me i should have sped up and that because the man behind me changed his direction i failed! Plus she failed me on my bay parking manovre because id already seen the sheet so knew id failed so i just reversed in and said "ok im done now!!!"

manovers are quite easy if you get the hang of them straight away :)

i was given a turn in the road and a revers around the cornor for 2nd test!

i was like damn it i cant do them! but just talked it through in my head as i did them :)

Aww I'm really nervous about my test. My next lesson is Monday, concentrating on getting the maneuvers right. I'm good at turn-in-the-road, ok at reverse around corner.. not done bay parking in over a year but think it'll be ok.. and never done parallel parking before (that's what we'll start with on Monday).

parrall park is the one i found the easiest

i dunno if il make much sense explainging it lol basically drive up next to the car(and stop as you would stop for any pulling into the left or turn in the road) but try and get your steering wheel where the other cars steering wheel is.

as you begin to reverse turn your steering wheel half to the left. the car will begin to turn into the space check your right blindspot and keep looking over your left shoulder

the back of the car will make a triangle shape next to the pavement, when you see this take it two turns back to striaghten up the car

always keep looking back over your shoulder until your pretty much straight and then look striaght forward until youv to stop (your instructor will tell you when this is)

handbrake neutral and then you will be asked to drive off so just dive off as you would from the side of a road but remember to straighten up your wheel :)

hope i kinda made sense :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->