• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Learning to drive and new drivers!

Hiya girls can i join you?

I am starting my lessons on April 10th and going to be having 2 hours every saturday :) I am so nervous and cant imagine being able to control a car :wacko:

Have you all sat the theory/hazard? and was it easier than you thought?

:flower:

hiya

iv sat both :thumbup:

i passed last friday :) so any questions ask away :) wer all pretty much able to help each other :)

xx

I did my theory in 2008, and it expires this August, so need to get a move on with my practical!

I found I probably panicked more than I should have with the theory.. most of my questions were actually alright.

The hazard perception.. I was sat there thinking "Click now? Best click before it doesn't count! Click, click, click. Should I have clicked that?" ARGH! I had one really boring clip where nothing happened for ages, and then a sheep walked across the road 'Click' and then that was the end of the clip.. :haha:

Thanks girls x

I have some CD-ROMS for theory and hazard perception which are really good and tend to get 3 or 4 out of 5 each go so think thats ok.

My instructor sounds lovely which i guess must help if we get along, her name is 'Sharon Stone' :lol: My OH finds that hilarious.

What car's have you all got? I will be driving the family car if i ever pass which is a Vectra .. That scares me as its soooo big, but i have been told size doesnt matter!!!!!!! We all know thats not true dont we girls :rofl:

x

iv no car of my own, im insured on a frieds as he lives close by and barely used it (i know nice of him:))

its a reunult clio black

im waiting to get one of my own, i only use his if in desperate need so not actually dirven anything :cry:

my instructor had a nissian micra :)

Hi everyone, what do you consider a new driver?? I passed my test 5 months ago next week but I'm still a very nervous driver and don't like going out of my comfort zone.

Hiya to the new people! Tomoz is my next lesson at 5pm and its rush hour and im doing round abouts im soooo scared i get in such a state and its other impatient drivers that make me like that arrrrghghhghg!! xx

Thanks for all your advice on roundabouts ladies!

Now it's just a case of remembering it all when I'm actually driving. :haha:

My car is a red Rover - a bit rubbish haha. OH just insured me on it today... for an extra £14 on top of his yaaaaay! I can drive it from the start of March!

wow Lauren-kate thats a pretty good deal!
I drive a 10 year old 1.3 ford fiesta and that costs me £90 a month to insure. They told me it will go down once I have 1 years no claims but I don't expect it to take a huge drop.

I passed my test first time *shockingly* and I was the most nervous driver in the world. I took beta blockers prescribed by the Dr, some rescue remedy spray and I also had a banana 10 mins before test (they are very relaxing). I had 13 minors (ouch!) and I had reverse around a corner and bay reverse park for my manouvers

wow you lucky ladies and LEy i got the reverse around the cornor too

how were you taught to do it?

my instructor made it like a quarter turn left when the back of the car in line with the pavement then another when you swing out then another n keep checking blindspots

then square up as the car turns in towards pavement? (i hope im making sense!)

when it came to the actual test i just fed the wheel round as i knew doing it the quarter way would make me really far out= a failed manovre!

what were your minors for?

sorry so mnay questions!
x

My instructor told me to use the wing mirror and using marker points to know when to turn. He also told me the half and quarter turns thing, he said if it looked in the mirror that the car was going closer or wider than a foot away from the kerb to do a half or quarter turn but I could never get that to work right so I just fed the wheel too, obviously checking blind spots as well.
I think that and Reverse around the corner and bay reverse park were the manouvers I struggled with the most and I just knew I would get them on my test. I also got my most dreaded Show me tell me question too lol.

As for my minors, I can't remember all of them as it was a while ago but I know I got 2 for the reverse around the corner, 1 for lingering a little too long in the wing mirror and the second for looking at the examiner while I was reversing back up the road, waiting for her to tell me to stop lol.

I got 2 for undue hesitation, once at a roundabout and once when pulling off from the side of the road.
I got 2 for not signalling when pulling up (instructor had told me I didn't always need to do this) but I noticed every time I didn't she marked something down so the third time she asked me to pull up I did signal and she didn't mark it, needless to say I signalled from then on.
I got another 1 for going round a roundabout in 4th gear, I realised halfway round though that I was in 4th and quickly changed back to 2nd.
I can't actually remember what the others were for.
I do remember when we pulled back into the test centre she had to get out of the car to check my bay park to make sure I was in the lines. Then she got back into the car and I noticed all of the marks on the sheet, she said she had to tally them up and I totally thought I had failed so when she said I had passed I just went a bit weird and threw all of my documents at her lol
My husband and mum were waiting at the other end of the car park in my car (I used to drive myself to test centre town so I could get the full 2 hour lessons) and when I said goodbye to my instructor and stuff I just ran all the way across the car park and jumped on my husband and my mum screamed and threw her arms around lol. It was quite silly really but I was just so pleased with myself lol.

How many minors did you get and what for?

Sorry I wrote an essay there lol

no no thats so funny your throwing stuff at her poor woman! :L

i got four

1 for undue hesitation, i saw a van coming i probs could have mad eit but tbh i didnt feel confident enough so i waited

1 for signalling, i signal right for moving out to go past a oarked car and then signaled left again i dunno why as there was a road right next to me so it was confusing

i got 1 for control, i juttered the car, didnt stall but did make it bump a little bit

and finally 1 for lane discipline i was going right on a roundabout and i drifted over to the left lane slightly as a big lorry was chasing me and i wanted to get away :cry:

i remember sitting there he said "thats the end of the test" honestly waited like 30 secs then he said youv passed gave me my leaflets and certificate i ran out to my instructort like "GRAHAAAMMMMM!!!EEEEEE!!! :haha:
he did the classic picking me up and kissed my head and said "im so proud of you mrs!"

how embarressing! so dw we all look silly when passing

however we went into the test centre so i could pick up my bag and found out i was the only one who passed outa the four of us who went out :|

i did feel bad as this poor woman was crying and i was grinning like a tool!
x

Awwww lovely stories ladies so nice to hear good news!! I'm soooonervous for tonight!! My instructor says half my problem is bothering bout getting on peoples nerves and other drivers been impatient! Cheers for the hints on roundabouts x x x

lol road rage your instructor much shampain?lol sounds like an impatient arse to me least youl be a nice safe driver doesnt matter about the other road users lol
x

hi everyone, i have started my lessons also, i think im on my 7th??..done a few roundabouts and turnings in the road. i rush too much though, because i panic about everyone else around me :-S..good luck all! xx

lol road rage your instructor much shampain?lol sounds like an impatient arse to me least youl be a nice safe driver doesnt matter about the other road users lol
x

Noooooooooo i think you misunderstood(or i havelol) she says i bother too much when i make a mistake about it upsetting other people etc she is always saying "you have as much right as everyone else, everyones gotta learn etc etc"
I did round abouts last night omg.....the first one i did was a mess and i had another one coming straight up.needless to say after that we had to pull over and have a minute! I didnt cause any problems i just really paniced as i was doing it an got myself all worked up! I felt a right fool but after that i did a few more and i was ok...stalled a few times but hey ho im starting to get the attitude that everyones gotta learn and if they dont like it then bloody overtake me! xxx

its ok i tihnk i did :haha:

awww i found that making weird noises(i know ODDD!!!) better :) plus going around the roundabout in 2nd gear just really slowly to begin with :)

i always go weeeee now everytime im in a car lol

exactly!!! though alot of people think they can cut of learners etc!!!

chase them! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"