living with kids with allergies group

I forgot to add she is on 3 tablets of Nalcrom a day, not sure if you know them. Doc said if she is not better in 2 weeks he wants to do a proctoscopy :S

Ive not heard of cauliflower being allergenic, maybe a gassy food?

hmmm..

Hi ladies :wave:

I'm Reposting this here as Khloee suggested. Originally posted in Baby Club:

Some background:

LO has had a few parches of dry skin dotted around her body, and a red eczema-type sore under her chin for a couple of months. I finally realised that I'd changed fabric conditioner, so I swapped back to the old one, re-washed clothes etc, this was about a month ago. Since then I've been putting e45 on her dry skin which has helped a bit, but under the chin hasn't got any better.

Today she stared itching it and her chest quite a lot, I had a look and she's got a rash. So took her to the Dr who didn't say what it was, just prescribed a mild hydrocortisone cream. This afternoon she had a really gross poo and I realised that she hadn't had a 'solid' pop all week, but today was worse. I then had a lightbulb moment when I realised that I started LO on cows milk for her lunch feed on Monday...

I'm not sure if it's related, or if I'm being paranoid! LO is allergic to eggs (gets a rash around her mouth as soon as touches/eats them) LO has had cows milk on her cereal (but only enough to soften it) and had petis filous and cheese since 6/7 months - but maybe that's the cause of the dry skin?

Sorry for the huge post! Here's a pic of the rash (only on the front of her neck/chest) Any experiences of allergy/intolerance appreciated. All advice welcome! Maybe just a coincidence and it's a viral rash or something?

https://i896.photobucket.com/albums/ac169/CocoaOne/6aad6695.jpg

LO has been exclusively BF until now. She still BFs morning and night, but I wanted to get her used to cow's milk for when I go to work in a few weeks (I can't pump).
Will read the whole thread in a mo, but her under chin rash looks quite a lot like the rash on Alex's face on the first page.

An allergy reaction can certainly be dry skin, this is the first stage of eczema (goes red, dry then crack and then infected if not treated and moisturised)

My son had plenty of dairy, youghurts etc whilst still on formula milk but it was after he was switched to cows milk that it tipped his system and got really back with dry skin and eczema.

Hi! I just sort of found this place after Cocoaone's thread in Baby Club, My LO is 5 months old and his eczema just sort of appeared at 3 months, he'd been throwing up his feeds/refluxing and having horrible cold symptoms since birth though. We have been to the GP 3 times now and almost given up on them as they seem totally disinterested and just prescribe oilatum despite the fact that I have even told them that he reacts to it.

I'm on an elimination diet cutting out wheat, eggs, milk, nuts, caffeine and anything with sulphites, also avoiding most meats and soya. So basically I live on fish veg and rice. This is based on mine and DH's allergies and my daughter's slight dairy intolerance though, as we haven't worked out what causes Vin's flare ups yet. We're going on advice from my SiL now as her boys have had terrible eczema and allergies for their whole lives.

He used to be a really content little guy, slept through at 8 weeks, gained okay. Now he's dropped from 50th to 25th centile and is impossible to settle waking every 2 hours even when in bed beside me which is the only place he'll sleep anymore. He cries and scratches a lot too.

This week I'm hoping to try the doctor again, and if I have to I'm not leaving the office till they refer him to someone useful :3

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 3
Arcanegirl - that's what I'm thinking, maybe the milk was just too much (lactose or whatever). I'm sure I read that some people with intoerances can handle cheese and yogurt better because of the way it's processed.

My dr's are useless, when I went about the egg thing and asked what happens next, GP just said 'don't give her egg again'. Cheers, that's really helpful!! Until she's 1? 3? 5? Never? Bloody idiots.

I think I've got enough expressed milk to keep her going for a couple of weeks. I don't want to take the bottles away and just BF, as I've only just got her to take a bottle after 7 months, and she needs to take a bottle at nursery. Can I give her rice milk on her cereals?

I really hoped she wouldn't get eczema. It's so heartbreaking so see them itching and uncomfortable. I had a massive skin reaction to something a few years back and ended up having skin biopsies and a massive dose of oral steroids to sort it out (turned out to be an extreme puss-y eczema) and the itching was horrific. Before I knew what it was, I ended up in A&E and the dr thought it might be a rare form of psoriasis, and when I googled and saw that it was a lifelong disease, I actually wanted to die to avoid a lifetime if itching :cry:

Massive :hugs: to all your LOs (and you!)

Arcanegirl what formula was he on?

Cow and Gate stage 1 from 10 weeks, stage 3 from 6 months untill 13 months then onto cows milk.
We were then put onto Cow and Gate infasoy at 17 months and then moved onto Neocate at 20ish months

Alex can be like that with some things, he will handle one portion of something but give him another the next day and he has a bigger reaction.
He reacted to cheese, which was what we told the gp that got us referred on.

If you can find a milk called Oatley, itll be better than rice milk. Oatley is oat milk and tastes like sweet porridge yum yum!

The itching is horrible, i have eczema aswell on my face and somedays i just scratch and scratch. Its not much fun when i work with food and have to keep washing my hands, which then makes them worse aswell!

:hi: Vinushka
Its saddening to read stories where doctors arent interested in helping :(

Have you tried any other creams other than Oilatum?

Don't know if you've read my story on page 1 but this all sounds very familiar, and our LO's are the same age. I'm still trying to work out what is causing Arlo's flare ups. The sleep issues could also be 4 month sleep regression. We are just coming through that now. Although it's hard to tell as Arlo sleeps badly when his ezcema is bad too. The past couple of days his cheeks have been really bad (again!) and he's been waking every hour or two.
Hi! I just sort of found this place after Cocoaone's thread in Baby Club, My LO is 5 months old and his eczema just sort of appeared at 3 months, he'd been throwing up his feeds/refluxing and having horrible cold symptoms since birth though. We have been to the GP 3 times now and almost given up on them as they seem totally disinterested and just prescribe oilatum despite the fact that I have even told them that he reacts to it.

I'm on an elimination diet cutting out wheat, eggs, milk, nuts, caffeine and anything with sulphites, also avoiding most meats and soya. So basically I live on fish veg and rice. This is based on mine and DH's allergies and my daughter's slight dairy intolerance though, as we haven't worked out what causes Vin's flare ups yet. We're going on advice from my SiL now as her boys have had terrible eczema and allergies for their whole lives.

He used to be a really content little guy, slept through at 8 weeks, gained okay. Now he's dropped from 50th to 25th centile and is impossible to settle waking every 2 hours even when in bed beside me which is the only place he'll sleep anymore. He cries and scratches a lot too.

This week I'm hoping to try the doctor again, and if I have to I'm not leaving the office till they refer him to someone useful :3

so we saw the dietician today and she feels Little Man also has a soya allergy, so we are now going dairy & soya free

also had too take him too dr's this afternoon after he pooped bright red blood :( he has a little rip in his bum hole so he has some cream to hopefully help it heal

:(

We have tried every cream under the sun... Currently we're settled on aveeno as it's the only one he doesn't react badly to, as in, get a horrible red rash and scream for an hour when it touches him. I'm accepting the 4 month regression as part of his sleeping trouble but right now I'm sat outside the bedroom as he gets slowly more upset at me for trying to get him to sleep in his crib and i'm only doing it now as he didn't even sleep properly with me last night and his itching isn't so bad today.

I would never let him cry it out, only, he cries whether I'm rocking him or holding him or shushing him... he just cries. At least now it seems like he might actually sleep and whenever I go in to reassure him he wakes up and gets more upset at me.

:hugs: Alex used to be like that, he would cry harder when we tried to help so the kindest thing we could do was leave him.

Some creams have chemicals in them that seem to do more harm than good like Sodium Lauryl Sulphate. Aqueous is a common one with it in and has now been proven to do more harm than good.

If you find aveeno to help then anything that contains oats maybe of some use, Dream cream from lush is similar weve been trying it this week.
You could also try some porridge oats in a sock in the bath and gently sqeeze it over the skin

yea I avoid SLS, aqueous and also lanolin as that also seems to aggravate it. We did do oatmeal baths and also rooibos tea which do help a little. I feel I might be sleeping on the landing tonight... he sleeps for 15 mins, then a little cry, then another sleep. Self settling quick enough but it's breaking my heart.

Chammomile is great for healing aswell, might be worth a shot trying that in the bath.

Just checked my emails for a recipie someone sent me ages ago for a ointment to help stop itching and also helps to hold the moistrues in the skin.

Emulsifying ointment and chickweed essential oil mixed in together and applied to the skin.
Ive not tried it myself, mostly because i forgot the recipe was there! We do have emulsifying ointment in at the moment which is what Alex gets for his face overnight so i might give this a go.

Have you heard of Elenas nature collection? Weve been giving that one a go and had the best results from it. It does say on her website that the skin would get worse before it got better and to ride it out, though if LO is crying for an hour after applying something then id think the same aswell that its no good.

he's been asleep in his crib for 30 mins! This has never happened before. He's been bounced to sleep in his chair every night since about 4 weeks old. We have a herbal medicine lady in town who makes ointments who I might also talk to sometime soon. I know sometimes it has to get worse before it gets better but my aim is to stop the hurting and if it makes things worse then I'm a little conflicted.

At this rate he'll be bathing in his breakfast :D tea and porridge ftw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->