living with kids with allergies group

right girls, i need your advice :)

Tomorrow we plan on giving Little Man his first food (BLW style) as the dietician advised. Now she suggested introducing 1 food at a time too watch for allergies (due to his dairy & soya allergy we will be avoiding those things anyway), but I have just been reading the BLW book and that suggested giving 2 or 3 different foods a each 'sitting' so they don't get bored

so what do i do? ...... give him just 1 food at a time or give him a couple different things each sitting? I am guessing he isn't going too do much actual eating at this stage as it is more about playing/investigating

right girls, i need your advice :)

Tomorrow we plan on giving Little Man his first food (BLW style) as the dietician advised. Now she suggested introducing 1 food at a time too watch for allergies (due to his dairy & soya allergy we will be avoiding those things anyway), but I have just been reading the BLW book and that suggested giving 2 or 3 different foods a each 'sitting' so they don't get bored

so what do i do? ...... give him just 1 food at a time or give him a couple different things each sitting? I am guessing he isn't going too do much actual eating at this stage as it is more about playing/investigating

Hmmm good point. When i start BLW I'll probably try him on something like carrots first, wait 3 or so days then when I know there was no reaction I know I can give carrots along side the next food we try.

well I only plan on giving fruit & veg until 26 weeks (he is 23+3 right now)

it's all confusing isn't it lol

Button - I'd try one food to start with. I'm sure I read in the BLW book (maybe on the forum?) that it was safe to offer a variety of foods as long as there is no suspicion of allergy. It'll definitely be easier for you to identify things, and it won't harm LO - He'll be so interested in 'new' food that he won't get bored!

Or maybe try 2 veg/fruit at a time as they are usually low allergen anyway (except tomatoes I think?)

I have decided I am going too do 1 thing at a time and we are starting with broccoli, carrots & banana's, I am pretty sure they are all very 'low risk' foods :)

I like Khloee's idea, do one food at first few sittings then when you know that one i okay, use that food and a new one. So youre only worrying about one food for a few days.

I doubt he will get bored with one food at first because weaning itself is a new thing!

C's been in hosp for thursday and yest so ive not been on. Button could you forward the email onto me aswell please?

Just something ive noticed when connor was first diagnosed and was put on neocate, nobody had heard of it and i couldnt find anyone on here whos baby was also on it. My HV had never heard of it either but now it seems to be used alot more.

How is everyone? x

Hope Connor is okay!

Were okay, we have snow! I had to walk into work as the bus couldnt do the normal route and had to walk halfway back again! Work did let me away early though

jemma, pm me your email and i can forward you the email :)

Little Man has just been prescribed neocate to use in cooking (he is breastfed otherwise)

weaning day 1 has gone so well, we decided too just 'go for it' he has dairy free, soya free, gluten free toast & banana for lunch and for tea he had cucumber & salmon ..... he LOVED salmon! but everything else went down well too. I am going too keep a chart of what things he 'eats', next time i will keep a close eye on his because allergic reactions generally occur on the 2nd exposure too something rather than the first time

how is everyone doing?

Thats great day one has gone well :D Keeping a diary is definatley a good idea!

Thigs are good here, still trying to get a flareup down but its looking promising.
I gave that dream cream a go and Alexs skin responds to it really well! I can get a red bumpy dry cheek down to smooth and less red in half a day with it! I do need to spend time applying it thick-ish quite a few times a day, but even the amount i use hardly dents the pot.
Id imagine when his skin is better id be using even less aswell.

Well worth the £10 for the tub :D

We have an appointment through for more tests on Alex on Tues. Fingers crossed it doesnt go like last time and we get held up for a few hours!

we found dream cream didn't work for little man, so glad it is working for Alex!

I think we might need another trip too the dr's, the double base just isn't working infact we have noticed that within 10 mins of applying it he is scratching like crazy so think he is actually making things worse! it seems too really dry him out!!! which is the opposite of what it should be doing :(

Button nose ill pm you now.

AG, hes been having bowel problems and had to be put to sleep so they could investigate with a camera, it was awful holding him while they gave him the anaesthetic never been so upset in my life.

Yea, Alex seems to respond well to oat based things :D

Some creams do that unfortunatley with not helping, could try something like Diprobase?

Hi there

Yup, we had multiple skin prick testing for her allergies, but shes back to the paed next week if I can get an appt as i'm at my wits end with the vomitting and tummy pain.

I'm dreading weaning, at least at the mo I know exactly whats shes getting ... hypo formula, a tiny weeny bit of pear for her losec and a tiny but if rice cereal in milk ... when real food comes along its going to feel like a minefield!

Farie i hope you get some answers. We never had skin prick tests, connor had a proper blood test.

I know how you feel with the sickness and tummy pain, its awful to see them like that. If you find out what your LO is allergic/has an intolerence to they should refer you to a diatician and they are so helpful with weaning. I found it hard at first but once youve got your head around it then it becomes alot easier.

We're ok!! No problems with Kimi today... still very sore-looking rash but we're keeping it clean and using boots medicated cream to keep it down!!!

x

We are OK today too. Cheeks much better. No more reflux. Chest still red but getting better. Now if we could just sort out this sleep regression business things would be great, hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->