living with kids with allergies group

Here are a couple of pics of his cheeks. They are crappy iphone pics but you can get the gist. They've been like this for about 4 weeks now. Really hoping the new meds clear it up because it is so frustrating watching it get slightly better only to get worse again the next day, and wtching him scratch away at it and knowing it's hurting him.

https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/khloeee/IMG_0230.jpg
https://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b179/khloeee/IMG_0219.jpg

Ohh that is quite nasty looking :(

do you keep his nails trimmed and filed? I found even than helps with not causing so much damage itching

Oh that doesn't look good :( I hope it gets better with the new stuff you got today!

Ouch - that looks painful. Is it also on his hands? It looks like it in the pic.
Hope the stuff you got today really helps! xx

do you keep his nails trimmed and filed? I found even than helps with not causing so much damage itching

I'm always trimming his nails but somehow he still manages to break the skin. He rubs it against any clothes/fabric/carpet he can find. At night he wears scratch sleeves.

Ouch - that looks painful. Is it also on his hands? It looks like it in the pic.
Hope the stuff you got today really helps! xx

Not sure about the hands. It's only on one of them and I think it's a mark from his near constant hand sucking.

I'm always trimming his nails but somehow he still manages to break the skin. He rubs it against any clothes/fabric/carpet he can find. At night he wears scratch sleeves.

Ahh yea, Alex did and still does sometimes. In his bed we reversed his fitted sheets to the flat smooth side so he couldnt use those. Everything was made sure to be soft cotton.

Ahh yea, Alex did and still does sometimes. In his bed we reversed his fitted sheets to the flat smooth side so he couldnt use those. Everything was made sure to be soft cotton.

Yep. I've been putting him down asleep in his cot recently too because if I leave him to try and
settle himself he just goes crazy with the face rubbing and I come back to find blood stained clothes and sheets where he's broken the skin again. Goes against my plan to gentle help him to learn how to sleep better on his own but what can you do eh?

Have you tried bamboo sheets? I find them softer than cotton. Bun rubs his head against the sheets when he sleeps and his skin reacts less to the bamboo then regular sheets. But I think Bun also has reactive skin in general - it gets red and irritated so easily. xxx

That looks so sore, poor little thing. Off to see the consultant at 11.30 so will see what he has to say

Hiya, it's been a long time since I wandered in here! We took luke to the gp an he has excema and asthma both diagnosed now the excema on his back is horrible poor thing, I tried to get a pic but I only have crappy phone ones https://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac104/myeggoispreggo_17/photo.jpg it's a lot redder and more vicious irl, ive been given dermol for the bath and diprobase, I'm just a little confused as the gp said every 3 hours slap it on thick, but the biottle says apply a thin layer. I'm so confused which should I do? Cheers girls :)

Hi Luke's mummy! I'm sorry I can't help but just wanted to say I would be more inclined to follow the isntructions :wacko: It's just GPs I don't trust that much as they know a bit of everything. . .

Jemma what did the consultant say? Hope it went well?

xx

Id go with what the bottle says, if you slap it on thick then the skin cant breathe and that wont help with healing.

We think Alex might have hayfever to add too the mix :dohh:
His eyelids went red yesterday within an hour we were out, and went back down again after some piriton. Good thing though because of Alexs age, we can give him more doses in a day now rather than just two.

AG can I ask a question about the piriton

Little Man has recently been prescribed it and well the bottle says not too use under the age of 1, (his prescription is 2.5 ml's half hour before a bath & another 2.5mls if needed at bedtime), did Alex get prescribed it before the age of 1? I just want to know it is really ok too give

My bottle says under 1, not reccomended. Id say if the doctor prescribed it then its okay to use, id just use it when he really needs it rather than daily.
Did he give instructions on how to use it incase of an allergic reaction? Or just a daily thing?

The only thing i can think of for why not to give it under 1 is it can make them quite sleepy (why youd give it before bed)

well he is only bathed 2/3 times a week so he only gets it those days anyway, it was the dermatologist that prescribed it

Connors on an antihistamine and that says not recommended under 2 but his consultant says they use it all the time only reason its not recommended is because it can make them sleepy but weve had no probs

Hello everyone, thought I'd introduce myself! I have a little man who is 13 months. He developed a small amount of eczema on his cheeks at about 4 months old but nothing major. However, when we weaned him at 6 months within two weeks his cheeks were a weeping, infected mess. He had 4 doses of antibiotics in less than 4 months... Fucidin would clear it up a bit but it would always come back. At some points it would ooze brown puss like stuff. It was awful. Tried all types of creams, aveeno etc. All made it worse. Finally settled on Diprobase which works best and we still use that. Doc eventually prescribed Fucidin H which would clear it for a while at least and kept infection at bay. After 4 months of this a Friend mentioned that it might be worth cutting out tomatoes - I did and within two weeks the eczema completely stopped weeping and it has never weeped since, we haven't needed anti biotics since (a good 4 months now). This got me thinking about allergies and so far I have also worked out citrus fruits are a big trigger so we avoid those too. His eczema still flares, mainly on his face unfortunately but is so much better since cutting out tomatoes. No weeping brown puss!!!!
Finally got doc to take me seriously and have been referred to allergy department at Alder Hey for tests on 9th May. So, I am hopeful as I have not tried cutting out dairy, wheat etc as was too scared it might affect his growth and he has no GI symptoms, just eczema. The only thing I'v never given him is eggs as I know they can be a trigger.
Sorry for the essay, give hugs to all your Lo's for me, they are all beautiful! :flower:

Here are some pics of Lo, First is of his eczema in the bad stage when it was weeping, next is the rashes he gets on his legs, next is what the flare ups are currently like after cutting out the tomatoes and last is him on a good day, looking gorgeous on his first birthday:flower:

Attachments

• S1050663.jpg
    S1050663.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 4
  • S1051380.jpg
    S1051380.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 5
  • S1051278.jpg
    S1051278.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 7
  • S1051286.jpg
    S1051286.jpg