living with kids with allergies group

:hi: hinkybinky

It could be very likely its the formula, if its a dairy allergy and formula would contain it.
I would suggest to the doctor about asking if they could prescribe a dairy free formula to try, but if he says no you can still buy it (Cow and Gate infasoy).

My Alex started off his life quite similar, he aways had some sort of rash on his face and it only cleared up for a few months before reappearing again at weaning.

Good luck with the doctors today :hugs:

Thank you! I looked at soy formulas in the supermarket, but also read that many children with dairy allergy also have soy allergy. I was wary to introduce potentially a brand new allergen! But I might give that a try, thanks. I believe you can also buy the other stuff without a prescription but that it's expensive. Tempted to do that but also would prefer to do these things with GP's support.

Thanks for the advice x

:hi: hinkybinky

It could be very likely its the formula, if its a dairy allergy and formula would contain it.
I would suggest to the doctor about asking if they could prescribe a dairy free formula to try, but if he says no you can still buy it (Cow and Gate infasoy).

My Alex started off his life quite similar, he aways had some sort of rash on his face and it only cleared up for a few months before reappearing again at weaning.

Good luck with the doctors today :hugs:

Thank you! I looked at soy formulas in the supermarket, but also read that many children with dairy allergy also have soy allergy. I was wary to introduce potentially a brand new allergen! But I might give that a try, thanks. I believe you can also buy the other stuff without a prescription but that it's expensive. Tempted to do that but also would prefer to do these things with GP's support.

Thanks for the advice x

I would try the GP and see if you can get something like Neocate prescribed. Be firm and sure of yourself, tell them that you've tried everything and LO's skin is no better, or getting worse, and you would like to try a CMP free formula to rule out dairy allergy.

When I saw my GP and I said 'I think this might be a problem but I'm not sure', he fobbed me off as an anxious first time mum. When I went back and said I KNOW there's something not right, they listened. I took a list of LOs symptoms and how long it had been going on for, as I often find I forget to mention everything.

Hope you get to the bottom of his skin issues. Arlo was much the same with the horrendous cradle cap and dry skin as a newborn, developed into very sore ezcema at 12 weeks. He's been much better since I cut out dairy and soy, although his cheeks are still causing us trouble on and off.

Good idea about writing it down Chloe, I always forget to say everything too. Appointment is at 2.40, I will let you know what happens. Thanks x

hinkybinky i hope your appointment goes well

Little Man was prescribed neocate to use when making up food (custard etc) he HATES it :( £30 a tin and he hates the stuff lol I use use oatly now for his food and breast feed for his milk feeds

Katerina is also on Neocate and it is vile!!! Luckily she is used to it! :thumbup:

We're now ready for her tests on Friday. Unfortunately they want us to go in tomorrow lunch time even though the tests won't take place till after 1pm on Friday. She won't be allowed to eat for more than 24 hours! :saywhat:

I am seriously thinking of sneaking in something for her for the first few hours we are there :blush:

Can't wait for it all to be over!

happyface I know it's hard but I wouldn't sneak her anything :( if there is anything still left in her system because of sneaking her something then she might have too go through it all again which I am sure you wouldn't want :(

sending big :hugs: to you and your beautiful girlie, hope the tests go well

Hi, thanks for the good luck vibes :thumbup:

We saw the doctor, to be fair he said he agreed it sounded like the formula was causing the problem, then admitted he didn't know anything about formulas to prescribe. I mentioned neocate and nutramigen, but he went to talk to another doctor and came bac kwith a prescription for Wysoy :nope:

I did say I'd rather not give him soy due to it being another common allergen, and he said I should be more positive :wacko: Anyway, we got the Wysoy, first 5oz drunk and he hasn't vommed it everywhere so a good start!

We'll give it a week and see how we go. It can only get worse which it would've anyway continuing with what he was having.

Anyway, we'll see how it goes, but thanks for all the advice :thumbup:

...Weaning sucks. Have been trying to go with BLW but even after a month he doesn't really eat much. I've tried veg, which he will suck happily and spit on the floor, and breadsticks are popular as well as crumpets/baby biscuits. He tried chicken but he putit in his mouth and started screaming. Might have been overtired though. Basically it's the lack of dairy and protein that I'm not scared to try as DH has some pretty weird allergies to certain red meats and milks. One of the better HV's suggested goat milk might be okay and I have tried a little myself. He hasn't been sick but his eczema flares up apparently at random and also in contact with environmental things (dust, washing soap, pollen) so it's so hard to tell. The last two days he's also been really upset trying to go down for naps so I don't know if it's his tummy hurting or not.

urgh.

Oh, hinkybinky... that's so annoying. My DD was on wysoy after being in hospital for her cancer treatments (and me being young and stupid was talked into putting her on formula early) and she has no soya intolerances. But I thought that they could also develop if the baby has too much soya. >.< it's a really frustrating thing to be told by the doc to use something which is possibly going to make things worse.

try not too worry about weaning and not eating much, Little Man only just these past couple of weeks started eating little bits, they say their main nutrition should come from their milk until they are 1 anyway :hugs:

I have oat milk (it is actually really nice!) and I use that too make Little Man's custard/ready brek/rice pudding etc and he seems too like it too

surely if your LO is allergic too dairy then he can't have goats milks either? because thats still dairy?

Yep, i think the protein thats in cows milk is also in goats milk etc

goats milk only tends to work with those who are lactose intollerant, totally different allergy to a protein allergy :)

24 hours on soy formula and what a difference! Stanley's skin is no longer red and inflamed, and the neck rash that's been unshiftable for weeks and weeks has all but disappeared overnight. He is a different boy today, so much happier, laughing for the first time in a week.

Do you think he may develop an allergy to soy though, as someone mentioned? Also, I am wondering if the soy allergy, if he had one, would be likely to show the same symptoms i.e. if milk caused his eczema to flare would soy, or could it cause different symptoms like digestive ones?

Have still not started him back on solids, going to go really slowly with it now. His stools today are a bit like chicken paste, beigey brown and mushy. Quite happy for them to stay this way, do not want him to get constipated as I've read can happen with soy formula.

Another question for those with milk allergies... is it more / less / just as likely that he'll have an allergy to eggs / dairy / gluten now? Should I be wary to introduce these or just do the normal one at a time and wait a few days between each approach?

Just to say as well, I have read through quite a lot of this thread and really admire all you lovely mums for your perseverence. Hopefully I can stick around and get to know you all a bit better. Also, is it just me or are babies with allergies just a little bit cuter than other babies :haha:

Oh definatley cuter!
I think if you have seen a huge improvement on soy formula then an allergy to soy is unlikley. Alex has an allergy to both and we didn't see any improvement at all.

Other allergies can be possible but also possible to not have any other allergies. It's just going carefully with weaning and now you know to look for. A reaction where most people wouldnt have a second thought.

Thanks, that's really helpful. It's all an education! A few weeks ago I wasn't even calling it 'eczema' and now I've got an 'allergy' to boot :haha:

great news that things are improving already!

Little Man is allergic too both, we saw little improvement when we changed too soya but did notice he also got very very windy on soya too

Connor is allergic to both cows milk protein and soya. When we tried soya we saw no improvement what so ever. Connor also has an allergy to wheat because an actually allergy to wheat is very very especially so young it took over a year to get it diagnosed. Id take things slowly when introducing new things and then you should be able to see if LO has a reaction

Also a question connor has had things like fish fingers before and been ok. Yesterday OH gave him a prawn and hes got a bad rash over his cheeks and his chin. Is it possible to be ok with like fishfingers but have a reaction to prawns?

Also a question connor has had things like fish fingers before and been ok. Yesterday OH gave him a prawn and hes got a bad rash over his cheeks and his chin. Is it possible to be ok with like fishfingers but have a reaction to prawns?

Maybe, as some people are allergic to shellfish but fine with other fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->