living with kids with allergies group

Well i deffinatly think connor has a prawn allergy, he had them once before but we didnt know if his symptoms were from teething well he had one today and had a reaction so spoke to diatician earlier and shes told us to avoid all shellfish so thats another thing he cant have

This is probably a silly question but is cows milk protein allergy different to dairy? :dohh:

Dairy allergies can be one of two things, an allergy to the lactose or an allergy to the protein.
If the allergy is a protein one then any lactose free milks, cheeses etc will make no difference as the protein is still present.

Thanks for clarifying! :thumbup: I am not sure what Katerina is suffering from. We changed doctors at some point and the 1st one seemed to think its the lactose and the 2nd the protein. I guess a test will convince us! :thumbup:

I've just written a detailed blog post on Arlo's story with eczema and food allergies so far. It explains all the issues we have had and Arlo's symptoms (including a lot of photos). Thought I'd post the link here in case it helps anyone new to this group who suspects food allergies in their baby and experienced similar problems to Arlo and me.

https://chloewitters.wordpress.com/2011/06/03/arlos-eczema-the-story-so-far/

I've mentioned you guys and the awesome help I have received from this group. Didn't link to here as that would make it far too easy for my family to find some of my more bitchy/moany posts, but if anyone contacts me and asks for more details I will definintely direct them here.

Hi everyone!! What have your LOs eaten today?

Breakfast: baby rice with Oatly and apple / strawberrry pouch
Lunch: sweet potato, apple rice cakes (so far so good!)
Dinner: not sure, will have to find something :/

I'm a bit peed off - just been to GP surgery to chase up appt with paediatric dietician for Stanley. It was last Wed that GP said he'd refer us urgently (urgent = 1 - 2 weeks to be seen, apparently). We got our dermatology letter within a couple of days even thuogh the appointment was weeks away, so was expecting to have heard by now.

Anyway, she tells me to phone hte local hospital to make sure they've received the letter. I've just tried phoning, got through to about 5 wrong places, answer phones, etc, finally got through to a person who said I was still in the wrong place and to phone back a different dept on Monday. By then it'll be 12 days. I haven't yet seen a single medical professional who can give me any support or answers. We've been back and forth to the GP for months now, it's been like getting blood out of a stone to get anything like anti-histamines, hydrocortisone, different milk etc...

Just having a bit of a crappy moment :growlmad:

Thanks for clarifying! :thumbup: I am not sure what Katerina is suffering from. We changed doctors at some point and the 1st one seemed to think its the lactose and the 2nd the protein. I guess a test will convince us! :thumbup:

We're assuming Stanley's is protein, since he also reacted to the soya milk which doesnt have lactose but does have a similar protein to cow's milk. Haven't had the tests done yet though so we're just guessing really!

hinkybinky, hope you get your dermatology appointment soon.

The only thing Arlo has eaten today that he didn't eat yesterday (i made a big batch of roast puree the other day) was baked beans on toast for lunch.

HinkyBinky I'm really sorry you've had such a difficult time with the doctors. It can be really hard when you have to go to the GP first when they usually have no clue how to help.

I hope you get your appointment sorted soon! :hugs:

Hi guys!

Anyone LO's that was put on Neocate and didn't do well? I'm starting to wonder. . .:shrug:

Connor was a different baby after being put on neocate. Why whats wrong hun?

We've not had any problems with Neocate either. Everything okay?

Alex hasnt eaten much today, more snacked on organix crisps and chips really.
Hes got 4 teeth coming in at once!

Were still giving the odd dairy thing every other day and hes still doing good with it! He had apple biscottis today.

Arcanegirl, that's really great news about the dairy!

That's great about the dairy!!! :thumbup:

Nothing is wrong apart from the fact that she is not really better. She has a couple of good days and then goes back to tummy cramps and waking up. Last night I got 3 hours of sleep.

Before she was put on Neocate she was on Nutramigen for about 2 months and she was actually well. We had about a month where she was great and then she became unwell again after trying different foods and doctor said to put her on Neocate just in case. Instantly when she started the Neocate she started having cramps but we were told to wait it out and it will get better. I've been always wondering if for some reason the Neocate does not agree with her and this is why she is still unwell even with the strict diet.

I'm thinking of going back to Nutramigen. I know that she was well on it she its not really a test, right?

I really need her to be better this has taken too long.

Sorry for the long post! But wanted to explain! hehe

If she was better on the other formula then i would be inclined to change her back, i wouldnt stick to whats not working :(

Thanks! I've been thinking about this for ages but everyone seems to think that Neocate is "perfect" and children don't react to it. Last night though at 4am :dohh: when I was searching online again I found other babies that don't tolerate it in similar forums so it made me think.

I've ordered a tin and I'll make the change on Monday! I hope the transition goes smoothly! :thumbup:

I would also move back onto the other. I know this is a daft question but when you say youve ordered a tin do you mean from a shop/ online or prescrption? When our doc kept moving us he always took the old milk of prescription

I have ordered a tin from my local pharmacy. I will try it and if she is better I will go to my GP and ask him to prescribe it! :thumbup:

Were still giving the odd dairy thing every other day and hes still doing good with it! He had apple biscottis today.

Ouch, poor thing. We've had the first 2 through in the last few weeks and I am not looking forward to the rest!

Great news, so nice to have slightly more of a range to choose from. Fab that he seems to be growing out of it slowly.

Before she was put on Neocate she was on Nutramigen for about 2 months and she was actually well. We had about a month where she was great and then she became unwell again after trying different foods and doctor said to put her on Neocate just in case. Instantly when she started the Neocate she started having cramps but we were told to wait it out and it will get better. I've been always wondering if for some reason the Neocate does not agree with her and this is why she is still unwell even with the strict diet.

I'm quite amazed your doctor swapped her milk over so easily just on the offchance. I'd definitely move back to Nutramigen if you found she was better on it. Hope it works x

I've just written a detailed blog post on Arlo's story with eczema and food allergies so far. It explains all the issues we have had and Arlo's symptoms (including a lot of photos). Thought I'd post the link here in case it helps anyone new to this group who suspects food allergies in their baby and experienced similar problems to Arlo and me.

Thanks for posting, I'll have a read when Stanley's having a nap! I was amazed by the pictures you posted earlier in this thread of how the eczema on Arlo's body cleared up by cutting out dairy - was hoping for similar results and we are getting there slowly. Thanks for sharing.

It was amazing when it first cleared up, although it does still come back, he's got a rash on his chest and arms at the moment. It's never been quite as bad though.

Ouch, poor thing. We've had the first 2 through in the last few weeks and I am not looking forward to the rest!

Great news, so nice to have slightly more of a range to choose from. Fab that he seems to be growing out of it slowly.

I'm quite amazed your doctor swapped her milk over so easily just on the offchance. I'd definitely move back to Nutramigen if you found she was better on it. Hope it works x

Thanks for posting, I'll have a read when Stanley's having a nap! I was amazed by the pictures you posted earlier in this thread of how the eczema on Arlo's body cleared up by cutting out dairy - was hoping for similar results and we are getting there slowly. Thanks for sharing.

Just had a chance to read your blog post. So much of your story mirrors ours - Stanley was exactly the same with dry skin and cradle cap, and the olive oil suggestions do wear very thin very quickly! I have a similar crop of lotions and potions to those in your photograph as well.

I do wish I'd continued breastfeeding like you did, and I think the info in your blog would be really valuable to anyone who was in my position 2 months ago - I so regret that I didn't have the confidence to do the elimination diet without medical support.

I get those comments as well from other mums, asking me what the spots are (and you know the implication), and really find that the most difficult bit. Hate it when well meaning friends say "oh, his face looks much better!". I feel like saying, "yes it does but you should see his shoulders" or "yes, but come back to me next week and I'm sure it'll be worse again". But of course I just smile and nod.

It does help so much to know we are not alone though :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->