living with kids with allergies group

Just popping in again - hope you're all doing well. :hugs:
I am off dairy again because my 3 week old just started with the numerous mucousy blood-streaked poos :cry:
I am off dairy asap because that was the first thing that showed up with my son.

Anyway, I am wondering if any of the DF ladies have any DF Shortbread recipes they've tried and had work?? It's not christmas without shortbread IMO!! :haha:

Congrats sun!!!! Shes gorgeous :)

I also can't help!

Thanks for explaining the difference between GF and WF!

Wheat is wheat, gluten is the protein in wheat. Sun i dont know if its different where you are but here its harder with a wheat allergy as you can remove gluten as its the protein. So you can get wheat and gluten free foods and you can get just glutem free foods but not all of the gluten free foods are wheat free

We can get gluten free food here to but they cost an arm and a leg, you're better off adapting and making your own gluten free flour (which is what my mil does) then she changes or makes recipes fit her requirements. Being gluten free here is incredibly difficult just from my own experience but I've never had to be wheat free, what kinds of things would you find wheat in besides bread and some pastas? Is it hidden in other random things like the gluten?

Wheat is wheat, gluten is the protein in wheat. Sun i dont know if its different where you are but here its harder with a wheat allergy as you can remove gluten as its the protein. So you can get wheat and gluten free foods and you can get just glutem free foods but not all of the gluten free foods are wheat free

I agree. It is all about getting used to a way of eating as they are both hard initially but then get easier with time. It is so frustrating when so many everyday things contain the major allergens - dairy, soy, wheat.

I am mostly wheat free. If I eat pasta, bread, cake....I get severe stomach pain, constipation for 4 or 5 days followed by awful diarrhoea. The pain is so severe it makes me feel faint, and I can honestly say its worse than labour pain :( So I eat alot of rice, quinoa, potato etc. I can have the occassional bit of cake and can tolerate biscuits. When I was pregnant with James I was able to eat anything and it didn't affect me...as soon as he was born I went back to being wheat intolerant. I also have a latex allergy and anaphylactic allergy to penicillin. So far James is being treated as allergic to penicillin cos of how bad mine is.

Does anyone have any tips for the eczema? We are using oilatum bath emollient and oilatum cream, but it doesn't seem to be having much effect. I'm wondering whether to cut out all lactose again cos he is having some yoghurt currently. What do you think?

I used baby Aveno for eczema and it helped and it's cheap.

We use Dream cream too, the only thing that worked better than what the hosp gave us :D

We use hydracortisone, but lo only gets patches that flare up every so often so they just give us a course when it flares up

I'm running out of ideas of recipes for Katerina. Her menu is just so repetitive she is losing interest and won't eat much anymore. Not sure what I can do as there are so many things she can't eat. Her latest reaction was on strawberries. We gave her to tiny ones with her breakfast yesterday and it didn't go down well. So far we have: dairy, soya, white fish, egg, strawberries, and wheat. And so much we haven't tried! :dohh:

Rant over! :thumbup: How is everyone else doing?

Littlekitten: how did you go about reintroducing your LO to dairy? Like amounts/quantity and what did you start with first? The dietician is going to have us start reintroducing some sugars and lactose soon and I want to make it as easy and simple as possible for Skyler.

Happy, I'm good, got a cold though and with being pregnant it's hit me like a ton of bricks. I just can't shake it. We also got 30 cms of snow last night :shock:

Kelly - I'm sorry you have a cold!! Hope you feel better soon! Snow? I love snow!! Send me some? :smug:

Um ok! I just wish I knew how to get it to you without it melting. We have snow banks like 3 feet high.

:lol:
When we moved we only went 1 mile away but the difference in the amount of snow! We were back up that way earlier and it was a full on blizzard and 2/3 inches! Days like that I miss the old place :lol:

No fair! I want snow!

Kelly - when I started reintroducing lactose I started with fromage frais. Just a few spoonfuls every day, building up to a whole one a day. Then started introducing other things. Hard cheese is a good thing to start with cos the way its made gets rid of most of the lactose. He still wouldn't tolerate cow's milk or cream. But could quite happily eat yogurt, cheese sauce etc. Now we are back to 1 fromage frais a day but doesn't seem to be tolerating it all that well.

What is dream cream and where can I find it?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->