living with kids with allergies group

Hi Chic and hi 17thy! :flower:

Shiv - how stupid of the doctor to say that mucousy poo is normal! Makes me mad! I would talk to the doctor about both of your daughters. I was talking to Katerina's paed the other day about Katerina's little pieces of eczema and she said its almost always food related. So do talk to them and see if they can help you out!

I've not idea about the lymph nodes I'm afraid! :shrug:

17thy - I'm sorry about your MIL. :growl mad: What is barley? (sorry I'm not English :dohh: )

Barley is a grain, its what they make beer out of.

Hi Shiv and 17thy!

I just found out OH had eczema when he was a baby too so I'm blaming him :rofl:

Hey you are not English are you? Making be look bad with your vocabulary :haha:

I blame hubby too! Apparently he never put on weight as he would refuse to drink milk or just drank tiny amounts, poor guy must have been intolerant too and his mum never noticed (she was never really close to her kids :growl mad:)

Yep barley is a grain! :) It's in beer, and a lot of flours (which go into breads, biscuits, pastas, etc.)

I am English! Well half anyway.

Its always the mens fault!

I can't have barley either 17thy, it is in lots of stuff.

17thy - Can I ask how you figured this out? Katerina reacted to bread so I just assumed it was wheat?? :shrug:

I can't believe i've only just found this group!

My LO is 9 months old and is on neocate for CMPI and so far I haven't introduced any dairy products to him during weaning, although he has had beef and doesn't seem to react to it.

I'm annoyed because we've only just got our referral through for a dietician appointment and it's the week before his first birthday. I feel like I am weaning him completely blind, I have no idea if he's getting the right nutrients and I don't find he has that varied a diet yet because so many recipes have dairy in them. Gah!

On the plus side though he is growing well and (touch wood) is the only baby out of my group of friends who hasn't had a cold yet! I do think that's because he's dairy free.

We're also still in the depths of reflux (he's on ranitidine) so a lot of fruits trigger it and I really lack the confidence to try him on new foods because i'm scared of a reaction. The paed said he is going to do blood tests for allergies when he is 1 and has advised that before then he wants him to have tried some soya products (not soya milk, but yoghurts etc) and again I have no idea how to introduce it slowly and carefully.

What sort of reactions am I looking for with a flare up? Luca was mainly diagnosed because of his bad skin (which I was told were milk spots but they were VERY angry and lumpy and more like excema) on his face, his vomiting and how uncomfortable he was after feeding. Looking back I put the last two reasons down to reflux as going on the neocate didn't help those, but the ranitidine did. I had CMPI as a baby but had grown out of it by aged 3 mainly.

I just lack confidence and feel like he's missing out on this huge world of food!

Hi prgirl!

Sorry your LO is having trouble with allergies. The symptoms you described definitely sound like an allergy. Also, reflux symptoms are sometimes a side effect of allergies so do look at at the whole picture and try not to separate reflux from the whole allergy issue! :wink wink:

As for symptoms they vary from person to person. They can be skin reactions like you mentioned, or they can be internally. I would look out for anything unusual on the skin, be it spots, eczema, or anything new. Then anything gastric, diarrhoea, constipation, mucus in poo, tummy pain, excessive gas etc, frequent night wakings as they usually indicate that LO is uncomfortable -for us this was the 1st symptom- and watery eyes, runny nose, dry cough when LO has not got a cold.

Don't be afraid to try new things, it doesn't mean that he will react to other things because he's got an allergy to cows milk. Just try 1 thing at a time for a few days and then move on the the next!

Good luck! :hugs:

:hi: prgirl welcome to the group.

Sounds like how Alex was with his skin though we didnt have the reflux issues on top.
Dont be afraid to try new things :hugs: reactions to look for, any behviour of of the ordinary after food ie crying and irritable, hot red flushed cheeks, any gastric changes as described from above. Have you asked your doctir if theres an antihistamine they can prescribe just incase of a reaction when trying new foods?

17thy - Can I ask how you figured this out? Katerina reacted to bread so I just assumed it was wheat?? :shrug:

Well, she was around 8 months old maybe a few days under, and she had had all of the baby cereals (whole wheat, mixed grain, etc) so I had bought her a box of barley baby cereal as she hadn't tried it before and although I was usually very careful of giving a small amount of new food and waiting a week in between, I thought since she was all good with the other baby cereals that she'd be fine with barley too! I made her a "big" bowl of it, the size she would have with any other baby cereal at the time, and within the next hour or so she started having running nose, wheezing, eyes watering, I almost took her to the ER but she finally seemed to get better and went to sleep and was fine the next morning. Then she had a few more reactions with big red welps all over her body and I brought her to the doctor for a routine check up and she just happened to have welps breaking out again and they referred me to an allergist.

Well the allergist told me she didn't have any skin tests to do that day, so they did a blood test and it came back negative. (it was awful too :cry: ) and so after we got the call saying it was negative I was just like :shrug: and ended up giving her some Whales crackers (like Goldfish) and her mouth immediately broke out with welps and swelled up so I took pictures and sent an email to her allergist, extremely angry mind you, and told her that they have barley in them and this is the ONLY thing she's ever reacted to and that I wanted skin testing done. So within the next week we had the skin test done and she IMMEDIATELY showed a reaction to barley, almond, and hazelnut :dohh: I was pretty furious about the false negative on the blood test, and the fact that the allergist hadn't taken us very seriously when we told her about her first reaction. Just goes to show you you should follow your instinct.

I can't believe i've only just found this group!

My LO is 9 months old and is on neocate for CMPI and so far I haven't introduced any dairy products to him during weaning, although he has had beef and doesn't seem to react to it.

I'm annoyed because we've only just got our referral through for a dietician appointment and it's the week before his first birthday. I feel like I am weaning him completely blind, I have no idea if he's getting the right nutrients and I don't find he has that varied a diet yet because so many recipes have dairy in them. Gah!

On the plus side though he is growing well and (touch wood) is the only baby out of my group of friends who hasn't had a cold yet! I do think that's because he's dairy free.

We're also still in the depths of reflux (he's on ranitidine) so a lot of fruits trigger it and I really lack the confidence to try him on new foods because i'm scared of a reaction. The paed said he is going to do blood tests for allergies when he is 1 and has advised that before then he wants him to have tried some soya products (not soya milk, but yoghurts etc) and again I have no idea how to introduce it slowly and carefully.

What sort of reactions am I looking for with a flare up? Luca was mainly diagnosed because of his bad skin (which I was told were milk spots but they were VERY angry and lumpy and more like excema) on his face, his vomiting and how uncomfortable he was after feeding. Looking back I put the last two reasons down to reflux as going on the neocate didn't help those, but the ranitidine did. I had CMPI as a baby but had grown out of it by aged 3 mainly.

I just lack confidence and feel like he's missing out on this huge world of food!

hey pr girl the paediatrician told me to try our daughter on 1 tsp of soya yogurt first to see if she reacted and if she didnt then move up to 3 tsps etc xx unfortunately lexi reacted so no soyafor her

soooo we got lexi weighed at the dietician yesterday she has gained in 2 weeks she has gone from 12lb 9.5oz to 13lb 6oz :)... but she is only tracking the 2nd centile on her growth chart so they want her to do "catch up weight" to get back to the 25th centile where she was when she was born

we have been told to feed her as follows breakfast and an 8oz bottle

dinner and pudding with an 8oz bottle

tea and pudding with an 8oz bottle

she has also been prescribed polycal powder to boost the calories we have to mix one scoop into each feed both solids and bottle wise

https://nutricia.co.uk/products/view/energy_supplements/polycal_powder

this will give her an extra 200 cals a day so hopefully see a difference soon

on their website though it says polycal is unsuitable for infants under 1 year? yet she has been prescribed it....

What sort of reaction did Lexi have? And how quickly?

We have been giving him soya yoghurt at lunch for the past 3 days. Only a few teaspoons and I can't see much of a reaction apart from his reflux is a bit flared up but it was earlier on in the week before I tried him on the soya.

What sort of reaction did Lexi have? And how quickly?

We have been giving him soya yoghurt at lunch for the past 3 days. Only a few teaspoons and I can't see much of a reaction apart from his reflux is a bit flared up but it was earlier on in the week before I tried him on the soya.

lexi got a rash and was wheezing within 10 mins xx

Think we've found a definite allergy. Maria had some satsuma today and her face immediately turned red and she started crying and rubbing it :(

Ah bless her, I hope it went down quickly. Sophia is allergic to raw tomatoes (fine with cooked) but she only gets a rash on her face. Anyway as she has got older the rash has got less severe and clears up more quickly, so there is hope that she will get over the satsuma allergy if it is only a contact allergy.

I have an appointment with the GP (doctor) on Monday where I am planning on discussing a) Cora's rasied lymph nodes and b) her potential CMPI. The last doctor I saw at 6 weeks was very dismissive so I am booked in to see a different one. I am currently challenging Cora's milk allergy so that I will either a) find out she has outgrown it (wouldn't that be great) or b) have some *proof* to show the doctor. I took a photo of her normal poo on Friday and then last night I had a pizza and some cheesecake, so it is now a waiting game.

Cora has only ever really had quite mild intestinal issues (compared to others i have read about, but I did stop Dairy early - approx 6 weeks, so I figure perhaps because it stopped early it never got really bad) and she hasn't had any exzema yet.

So today she has been ok, she had her first post dairy feed at 3am this morning, usually she starts getting agitated with a sore tummy about 24 hours after I've had dairy and then she will struggle to pass wind and poo and the I'll have horrible smelly, mucousy poos for a week or so..........so I *think* she was getting a bit antsy just before bed tonight, but it is so easy to over analyse I think. So we'll see how she gets on tonight, it should become obvious by tomorrow what sort of reaction she will have.

Wish me luck and I hope you are all having lovely weekends x

I hope she doesnt have a reaction, i wish my Lo would outgrow his allergys but cant see it happening anytime soon:(

AG how is alex doing? Have you challenged him with anything yet?

He's doing good, he's still reacting so not really challenging much he's getting re tested in a few weeks so will see how that goes. How are you and Connor?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->