living with kids with allergies group

Thanks AG and Natsku :hugs:

Natsku - What did you end up cutting out with Maria's diet?

It is so weird because she always had dry skin, but after going on antibiotics 2 months ago she has had terrible eczema. I haven't put any hydrocortisone on her today and it's terrible. She can't sleep because of the itch - I have to put 2 layers of socks on her hands/arms so she doesn't scratch all the time. It's so bad! At least with the cream she doesn't cry/scratch - she's a totally different and happy baby. Not sure what to do if I don't use it. Her skin is still bad with it, but no scratching and it's not really raised/angry red.

Poor baby, must be horrible for her :( what other creams do you use? Basic emollient cream always helps ease the itchiness for Maria.

I cut out dairy, soy, eggs, citrus and paprika. Started off cutting out the first three (and then tried introducing soy milk but soon cut it out again) and then figured out the other two later on.

Hi sun! I'm sorry things are so bad! I would -as the other girls have said- also cut the main allergens. Its amazing how quickly you can see a difference once you find the trigger though its sometimes hard to find. :dohh:

In the mean time maybe you can give her some antihistamines which would at least take the itch away? :shrug:

Another idea would be to 'test; some products on her skin directly. Anything she is allergic to if it touches her skin you would probably notice something.. :shrug:

Ooo yeah anti-histamines is a great idea, if Maria accidently has something she shouldn't I give her some straight away and usually end up avoiding a reaction altogether.

Thanks so much!

I will look into the antihistamines - I didn't know you could give it to babies. I'll definitely cut out the main allergens. I cut out dairy a few months ago, but will add soy as well. I don't eat much soy now, but I'll look for it on labels. Eggs and nuts I'll be sad to let go LOL.

I was actually thinking of eliminating everything allergenic for 2 weeks then adding things in one by one. I don't know if that would be easier than cutting things out one at a time. I'll also try the skin thing. That's how we found out she had a problem with dairy - she was playing in OH's cereal and got a good case of hives.

As for us K is doing much better. NAET treatments did work but we are still going. . . not much to treat still though. However, she still has a super sensitive intestine so we now have issues with constipation and lots of gas that keeps her up at night sometimes.. But, she can eat things that she couldn't before so I'm happy. We've reintroduced egg -which was her most serious/scary reaction), peas, tomato, white fish, fruit and I think she can tolerate wheat every once in a while but I'm not sure yet. So she is still dairy, wheat, gluten and so free. :thumb up: Oh and we've stopped all antihistamines! :happydance: Oh and her eczema clear up completely! I think thats all.

Thanks so much!

I will look into the antihistamines - I didn't know you could give it to babies. I'll definitely cut out the main allergens. I cut out dairy a few months ago, but will add soy as well. I don't eat much soy now, but I'll look for it on labels. Eggs and nuts I'll be sad to let go LOL.

I was actually thinking of eliminating everything allergenic for 2 weeks then adding things in one by one. I don't know if that would be easier than cutting things out one at a time. I'll also try the skin thing. That's how we found out she had a problem with dairy - she was playing in OH's cereal and got a good case of hives.

You can give antihistamines to babies yes, K was on them for months and months as she was so unwell. I didn't like but if you have to. . .

I much better like the idea of cutting out loads of stuff and slowly re-introducing them especially when she is suffering so much as you want to help her as soon as possible. Its hard when you are breastfeeding :hugs:

The trick about the skin I was reading about in an article. I thought it was clever though not terribly accurate! K never got immediate reactions on the skin -apart from the egg- so I wouldn't be able to tell but in your situation I think its going to help. :thumbup:

Thats wonderful progress happyface!!

Ah its not fun being on a restricted diet sun :( I ended up stopping breastfeeding before I wanted to because of it (though she was showing signs of wanting to end anyway)

Antihistamines she can certainly have. I do wonder if they dont without a doctors say so because it does make them drowsy, it would be safer to use on a long term basis than the steroid cream.

Fantastic update Happyface :D

They make Maria hyper rather than drowsy :dohh: well at least they did to begin with

Hi ladies!

Luca is now almost 14 months and still cow's milk free. We are so frustrated as the paed said he wanted to do allergy testing at 1 year and then do a milk challenge so he scheduled an appointment for May, which was then changed to June, then August and now September!!! I am so pissed off with them and his secretary is ignoring my calls.

Has anyone else here tried their baby on milk without allergy testing just by themselves?

We're under dietician care but she said she didn't want to interfere with what the paed wants to do so didn't come up with a strategy of exposing him to milk.

I'm just getting so fed up with everything now. I never felt like it was interfering with his life or his development until recently - all these summer parties round friends houses and we have to keep him away from the party table, toddler groups with 'snack time' of biscuits which we can't eat, trying to get him to try more foods by offering him what we eat only we eat a lot with cheese in it so are having to alter our diets a lot which isn't ideal....we're going on holiday in a few weeks to Italy and I'm dreading what we'll be feeding him there!

Just wondering if anyone has gone it alone? He ate a cheese puff at a party yesterday (we couldn't stop him and by the time we realised he was half way through swallowing it) and has been fine today - no upset tummy or anything. He tolerates soya product in puddings pretty well too.

Our consultant has always said for us to challenge Alex once in a while, to try something like a yoghurt and see how the reaction is. Thats all there is to it and if you dont want to keep waiting then Id have a go and try. If the reaction is still there, then its more info fot the doctor when you do see them in Sept to say you have already tried.

I would just try it. What were the reactions before? I mean as long as its not a "dangerous" reaction I would try it. Plus, maybe you can start with some cheese in cooked meals. He might still react to drinking plain milk but he might be able to tolerate smaller amounts of cooked cheese which would make your life easier! :thumbup:

Thats what I plan to do with gluten and wheat now. I offer it twice a week to start with... and will built up to see if she can tolerate some and how much. also, allergy testing is not reliable so another reason not to wait for it. :shrug:

Thanks girls. We've never tried any milk before at all. He was put on neocate because he had awful skin and was very windy/sicky on milk but that was still there after being put on neocate it was only reflux meds which got that under control.

I tested my son with yoghurt every month or 2. He outgrew his reaction to dairy by 2 :D My daughter is more allergic though - not sure if I'll be testing her like that since she gets bad hives and wheezy

hi ladies! just came across this thread. havent had a chance to read through yet. just wondering if anyone had issues with their baby while bf and eating eggs??? im sure my LO has an egg allergy. im overwhelmed atm trying to check all ingredients to ensure i eliminate it completely. eggs are used a lot! he also seems to react to nuts so have gotten rid of that too. have considered going to formula, but he wont touch bottles!

Yeah I had to stop eating eggs while breastfeeding. They are used in so many things so yeah its difficult!

Maria is def still allergic to dairy. She got hold of my spoon that I had eating a rice pudding with and immediately had a reaction :(

Hey everyone! I'm a FTM to a 10 month old. She has milk allergies and just found out that she is also slightly allergic to soy. I've been exclusively BFing this whole time but need to wean so we're trying out some formulas.

Just wanted to introduce myself and would love to read through all your experiences. I have a lot of pages to skim through! :)

Hey everyone, and welcome Liz, havent been in here for a while but just wondering how long does it take for Hannah to react to something I've eaten, she's still reacting to something as well as dairy and soya but don't know how far to look back, and also paed wrote to docs to tell them to prescribe nutrmigen for when we start introducing solids but im assuming that as she will be over 6 months i can just use a milk substitute such as oat or coconut instead of giving her that vile stuff as I'm ati having trouble heating Abi to drink anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->