LO had her first fall today :(

SaraEmily

Mom of 2 girls
Reaction score
She's learning to cruise on the couch, and I looked away for just a moment to grab my phone, and she pushed off the couch really hard and hit her head on the floor before I could catch her. Luckily we have carpet but it still made such a loud noise when her head hit it. She screamed for about 5 minutes, so hard that it made her spit up.

I feel so terrible. I know falls happen but I could've prevented that. She was having so much fun and now she's probably going to be scared to do it again. Maybe I'm overreacting but do I need to call a nurse? I'm afraid to let her nap after hitting her head like that.

Awww hun. It happens don't worry! Personally if she's sicked up then I'd get her checked out. I'm sure she's probably fine, babies fall a lot and they're tougher than we think. x x x

I wouldn't say she vomited necessarily, just spit up a tiny but but not even enough for it to come out of her mouth. She just gagged and had a little come up her throat, then went back down. But this has happened a few times before when she's been crying really hard.

I posted something very similar last week. LO is just a little bit older than yours abd fell off the sofa onto wooden floor.

Not sure if you're in uk, but I phoned NHS direct, and they went through a checklist if signs for head injuries. They also advised to rouse LO every 2 hours through the night to ensure she was able to be roused and could focus on me.

I'm sure your LO is fine (and so is our LO), but I understand how horrid it is xxx

She won't be too scared to do it again, they fall to learn! Next time, she will probably be a little more confident and only fall to her bum etc.

Rory's had a few bad bumps. It happens :) xx

Just the first of many. Wait until she's walking and trying to run!

Don't feel bad. It's impossible to stop all tumbles and, as pp said, they're tough little things and tumbles help them learn.

If you are in UK you can call NHS Direct (as pp said). I've done so twice for head bangs Ciara has had. Once when she was about 6 months and fell sideways, smacking her head on the TV unit. Second time was only last week - that fall was outside. She fell backwards after tripping and whacked her head on the concrete path! That one scared me but she's thankfully fine. They told me to keep an eye on her for 48 hours. Things they told me to watch for: being more tired than usual, not focusing properly, vomiting (profusely and more than once), bruising behind the ears or around eyes, a soft spongy area on head or any different feeling on skull, clear fluid coming from nose or ears.

Sure she'll be ok though

The first fall is almost like a rite of passage, I'm sure of it :dohh:

Eamon went down the stairs at one of my old houses. That was definitely uncool. Completely accidental... but I cried for days over it. I still feel bad and it was over two years ago!

I called her doctor just to be sure, and he told me what to watch for, basically what you all said. So that's given me some peace of mind.

I don't know what I'll do when she starts learning to walk! I might make her wear a helmet. lol

She's completely fine now, though. In fact she just crawled across the living room for the first time!

My daughter falls on a daily basis lol she learning to walk on her own but she trips over her own feet :dohh: she also slid off the sofa yesterday and luckily didn't hurt herself just got a shock. She also holds on the sides of her bed and jump up and down her mattress if she lets go she always falls and sometimes hits herself on a different part of her cot. Don't worry Hun pretty soon she'll be that mobile you'll be seeing her fall regular :hugs:

:hugs: I agree the first fall is like a right of passage. Its always more traumatic for mommy than the baby! Unfortunately it's going to be the first of many. So don't beat yourself up over it! It's not going to prevent her from trying again.

My LO is ALWAYS falling.. She has always been a very active little girl.. bumping her head trying to climb under the table, tripping over toys, and trying to stand on moving toys :dohh: I've lost count of how many times she's given herself a bloody lip! About a month ago, my mom was watching her, she managed to pull open the cellar door, and fell down the stairs. I cried for DAYS, she was fine within 5 minutes, I rushed her to the emergency room, where they all told me stories of how their children fell.

She did learn pretty quick while cruising to fall on her bum instead of her head or face. And she always got back up and tried again. But I swear the closer I watched her the more creative she was in how she got hurt. My LO could find a way to get hurt in an empty padded room. :haha:

Aww don't feel bad. This will be the first of many falls. Holly fell onto wooden floor pretty much every day when she first started pulling up and cruising. It's so stressful but they're harder than we give them credit for!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->