Lollipops

.Mrs.B.

Reaction score
My son came home from nursery with a lollipop in his book bag.

I don't buy lollipops for my kids but if they get them in a party bag I would let them have it under close supervision. I really don't see the need for such a dangerous sweet though.

I feel like the staff should have at least told me the lollipop was in his book bag, my son and my just turned 3 year old daughter both had access to the book bag and could have easily eaten it without my knowledge.

It was this kind of lollipop; www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1226822/Boy-chokes-death-lollipop-stick.html

Would you complain? I feel like I am always complaining but I also feel like it was very irresponsible not to tell me.

I wouldn't complain personally. I'm sure the nursery just assumed parents would check the book bags?

I know you say it could have been eaten without your knowledge but I tend to think they are a bugger to open anyway so I'd be impressed if preschool kids could!

I personally wouldn't complain either. They're not easy to open plus like Natasha said the nursery probably figured that parents would check the book bag.

I give Ollie lollipops all the time (with supervision obvs).

We have had things like chocolate (at Christmas time, not randomly) come home from nursery, but we've been told about it, which let us make the decision whether she could have it. I think it's okay for the rare special occasion, but you should be informed it's in there. I wouldn't complain so much as just bring it up with them and say that you found a lollipop in his bag and weren't sure where he got it from (it's possible another child gave it to him without staff even knowing) and just ask that in the future they let you know if they have offered him anything like that so that you could have a look at it before he or any of your other children have access to it.

I wouldn't complain but I don't allow Rio to have lollipops often either, even supervised.
I'd have been annoyed and said something if the lolly was given directly to my child but not so much if it was put in his bag. I always check his bag straight after nursery for any letters etc anyway so would see it straight away.
I do wish parents would send in more appropriate sweets if they are going to send anything at all though, I hate lollipops. (Assuming it was a gift from home for another child's birthday or similar)

ETA: just re-read that you weren't told about it. When a treat is sent home for Rio staff always tell us about it, either hand it to us directly or inform us it's in his bag rather than hand them to the children so that we can make the decision if we allow him to have it or not before he actually knows he's got it.

I wouldn't complain but I might say to the staff just to give it straight to me rather than putting in a bag

I do check the book bag, but it might be sitting at home for an hour or more before I do. I did find the lolly and put it somewhere safe. Letters get handed to us so it's usually a book or artwork that's in there. I have a feeling it was from the nursery itself as my son told me they had a party for a member of staff leaving to have a baby.
At a preschool party last summer they had jars of lollipops as prizes, they even offered them to my daughter who had just turned 2. I made mine choose a drumstick each but again I just don't see why they would choose lollies. Plenty of less dangerous sweets out there.

Also, if my daughter cant open something she'll still eat it, wrapper and all, lol.

Lollipops make me extremely anxious.

DS is 4, and I obviously worry less with him. At some point I suppose he will be old enough to eat them no worry, but....every time DS has one, DD wants one. She's 2, I do not give them to her except times when I can sit and watch them closely while they eat them.

Maybe I should start carrying "alternative sweets" because that is what they have places, like when I take DS to get a haircut they give out lollipops. At the grocery store, they've been offered lollipops (once, not a regular thing). Maybe I should have something else I could give them instead.

I wouldn't complain as such just merely mention it and ask if future sweets can be handed to you

I don't allow my girls to have any kind of lollypop / hard sweets DD has come home from nursery a few times with these sweets in party bags ( good job She doesn't like them!)

I am not sure why people give out lollipops to young children I'm extra anxious about chocking!

I wouldn't complain, although I do hate Lollipops. They give me a lot of anxiety and I watch her like a hawk in case it separates from the stick.

I didn't say anything in the end, I do feel like I'm always the complainer, but I just see danger in everything.

I sent 3 'complaints' out in half term for 3 different places we visited. I say 'complaint' because I actually tried to word it as nicely and constructively as possible.
The first place was a fairy trail in woods. They were giving all the children long super sharp pencils to do their activity sheet with, they even gave them to under 2's. I saw lots of kids running along holding the pencils and felt like it was an accident waiting to happen.
The second place was a farm, they hung a bubble machine up right next to a concrete step. The kids were running round trying to catch the bubbles and not seeing the step.
The third place was another farm where they had feeding tube chutes. They had screws to hold the chutes in place and the screws were literally screwed straight through the chute! If a child put their hand in about 15cm they would have been met with 3 sharp screw ends!

I always feel responsible - like if I don't say something and an accident happens I would feel awful. I end up thinking about things so much I have to say something. :/

My DD is too little for lollies although I did see a little child, she looked younger than my DD (15 months) in her pushchair, facing away from mum with a lolly in her mouth. Each to their own but it made me so worried!

As for the complaints, don't feel bad! The pencils thing wouldn't bother me in the least, I've worked with young children with saws, hammers, nails, fire etc :haha:

See again, mine are allowed to use pencils, but these were long sharp pencils given to kids running round in the woods. One fall and it could go straight in their eye. I'll make mine put sharp stuff down if they're running around.

Lollipop for a kid that age wouldn't bother me.

We have had things like chocolate (at Christmas time, not randomly) come home from nursery, but we've been told about it, which let us make the decision whether she could have it. I think it's okay for the rare special occasion, but you should be informed it's in there. I wouldn't complain so much as just bring it up with them and say that you found a lollipop in his bag and weren't sure where he got it from (it's possible another child gave it to him without staff even knowing) and just ask that in the future they let you know if they have offered him anything like that so that you could have a look at it before he or any of your other children have access to it.

This.

I wouldn't complain, I'd probably just toss them and hope that DD doesn't remember.

I'd maybe ask them to let me know if there was candy in their bags, or give it to me rather than putting it in there.

Thanks for all the replies. By complain, I did mean to just bring it up with them rather than kick up a fuss kind of thing.
I ended up not saying anything, but I wish I had. It's the second time he's had a lolly from there (first time being at the fun day) and I do feel like nursery's should not be going for this kind of sweet. So many kids have died from lollipops I just don't see why it's worth the risk in the first place. Grapes in their lunch boxes need to be chopped but then they give lollies, it makes no sense to me.

I'd mention to them now that you don't allow lollipops. My daughter came home with starburst (which is really sticky and chewy) and I politely told her teacher that I don't allow her to have those and would appreciate if she didn't give her any. Her teacher was fine with that, and now gives me any treat she's given the children when I go to pick dd up. Really, I look at it as they don't know unless you tell them :)

I'd mention to them now that you don't allow lollipops. My daughter came home with starburst (which is really sticky and chewy) and I politely told her teacher that I don't allow her to have those and would appreciate if she didn't give her any. Her teacher was fine with that, and now gives me any treat she's given the children when I go to pick dd up. Really, I look at it as they don't know unless you tell them :)

That is understandable for regular people, but those who regularly work with kids and know to chop grapes should make the logical connection.

Like I would not be surprised if my dad or someone didn't know, but if a daycare or nursery worker did not it would surprise me. I expect them to know more about child safety.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->