London Xmas weekend, 4yo, buggy or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LPF

Reaction score
Ds is turning 4 on the 20th November and 2 weeks later we are having a weekend away in london.

He doesn't use the buggy ever unless we do a big theme park day out but he's big for his age and looks ridiculous in it, he's also really heavy to push!

However, I'm freaking out about our weekend away and really don't know what to do...can I give you a run down of our plans and see what you think?!

Saturday:
- 1/2 mile walk from hotel to tube
- walk around covent garden maybe or winter wonderland, not decided
- 1pm visit Father Christmas at harrods (where would you leave a buggy?!)
- 2pm afternoon tea in harrods followed by a quick look round the Xmas / disney bits
- look at the lights / windows of oxford st / regents st or anyway that is not too chaotic!!
- tube back and walk 1/2 mile to hotel

Sunday:
- as sat to london
- snowman theatre show at 11am
- lunch at rainforest cafe
- afternoon at south bank / twilight london eye (Merlin pass)
- back to hotel

Realistically I know there is no way a just 4 yr old will manage all that walking without constant moaning and he's too heavy to be carried....there's also all the tooing and froing on the tube to contend with.

But what on earth would I do with a buggy in harrods, in the theatre, on the London eye etc when to look at him, he really shouldn't need one!!!

Help ladies, I'm really panicking.....:dohh:

I'm sure they will have buggy parks as they will be younger children at the events. My lo would not walk that far either I would take a pram. X

Will he not use a micro scooter? My DS isn't even 3 yet and he's quite reliable on his. I have one of those wrist rein things that I attach to the front of it if we're going near roads or into town. Saves a lot of tired feet!

I would probably take one. I know earl wouldn't use the pushchair at that age but we did have a buggy board so obviously that helped. In the absence of that a small, light stroller would probably be a godsend. Even if its just for carrying the bags lol

I can't get my just turned 2 year old into a buggy these days, let alone my 4 year olds!!

I have 4 year old twins (turned 4 a few weeks ago)and wouldn't dream of putting them in a buggy. We regularly do day trips, city trips etc and they are more than capable of lasting the day whilst walking.

Yes you need to factor in a few rests for him but I think buggies/ prams are a huge no no at 4. Maybe that's just me.

I can't get my just turned 2 year old into a buggy these days, let alone my 4 year olds!!

I have 4 year old twins (turned 4 a few weeks ago)and wouldn't dream of putting them in a buggy. We regularly do day trips, city trips etc and they are more than capable of lasting the day whilst walking.

Yes you need to factor in a few rests for him but I think buggies/ prams are a huge no no at 4. Maybe that's just me.

Maybe your just lucky to have children who can walk that far. Not every one does for lots of reasons. But that's why people worry about using a buggy as people are judgey.

Op there's plenty if older children who use a pram for long days or trips round the theme park ect.

Maybe your just lucky to have children who can walk that far. Not every one does for lots of reasons. But that's why people worry about using a buggy as people are judgey.

Op there's plenty if older children who use a pram for long days or trips round the theme park ect.

Since when are we not allowed an opinion? The OP asked what others would do and this is my experience as I have two 4 year olds at present.

LPF, my kiddies managed to walk around Disneyland Paris for 4 days at 3.5 years, which surprised me. I think it was a mixture of adrenalin and excitement that kept them going. I magazine your LO will be knackered at the end of the day but he might surprise you

My son is 4 and hasn't used a pushchair regularly for about a year, we live in London and often go in to do touristy things, just the other week we walked from the tower, down the south bank, followed the Thames until Westminster bridge, Buckingham palace round to marble arch and he was fine. We often walk through Hyde park too. Never had any issues but I guess it depends on the child, sometimes DH puts him on his shoulders.

Oh and your itinerary sounds so much fun! As for Harrods we've just been and we took our push chair (for our 10 month old so it was a big travel system) and we took it through the grotto no probs, but I imagine it will be much busier on a weekend, we went yesterday.

Oh and rainforest cafe is also ok for push chairs, they have a buggy closet.

i wouldn't use one for my 4yo but you know your own child if you think theyd need it.
i know my 4yo wouldnt really sit in it as he prefers to run about and it would mean pushing an empty buggy which seems an inconvenience to me.

Your trip sounds so fun, can I come? :haha:.
I wouldn't take a buggy personally, as central London can be such a nightmare with a pushchair and it would stress me out having to take one. Your itinerary looks good as there are lots of stops where your LO will get to rest his legs. He may well suprise you and be happy to walk as there will be lots of exciting things to see and he will probably be quite distracted. My DS moans to go on the bar at the back of DD's pushchair when we walk into town, it is literally a 10 minute walk. But when we go out for the day to places like the zoo, walks in the woods etc he will walk around all day because he's distracted.
You could maybe take a smart trike (with the parent handle attached) instead of a pushchair, or a large carrier suitable for an older child- I know people who wear their school aged children when the situation calls for it, a good carrier which distributes LO's weight properly makes them feel a lot lighter than carrying them in your arms or giving a piggyback.

My daughter used a buggy right up until a few months before her 4th birthday. We walk everywhere (don't have a car) and she found it hard going. She wasn't lazy, just her little legs got tired so I totally don't judge. We took one to Disneyland Paris with us when we went in April also and it was a godsend. She even napped in it which was great.

But, saying all that I probably wouldn't take it for your trip to London. I'm from London and spend a lot of time there and getting about can be a right faff with a buggy. You'll find the tube and any bus journeys you might take so much easier without one. If he gets knackered you could always take plenty of breaks, stop and have a drink and a cake giving him time to re-charge.
I like pp's idea of taking the scooter perhaps. If you have one of those leads you can pull him if he gets tired out.

If you do decide to take the pushchair don't worry about storing it though. When I went to Harrods last (this was a few years ago mind) we had to leave it in the storage place down in the basement. At the London Eye and the theatre they will have special places to leave them.

Enjoy your trip......it sounds lovely! xxx

We go to London on Thursday for a long weekend. My son is 3 and we don't even own a buggy as he hasn't used one for well over a year. He would definitely not sit in one. I didn't even think about a pram until I read this, but no we won't be taking one.

I live in london(ish) and I would consider not taking the buggy for my now 26 month old if I was going into central and he didnt need to have a sleep. Its a friggin nightmare on and off tube (and half the stations have lots of stairs to even get anywhere near a lift.) I would and have previously found it a huge inconvenience. Plus people are totally ignorant and have no consideration even when you have a tiny baby in a pushchair (having flashbacks to taking my boys to the natural history museum for Alfies 3rd birthday) Also jumping on busses would potentially be a problem as they have a tendancy to be packed around central London even on a normal day let alone near christmas.

I hope you have a wonderful time! Carnaby street is usually pretty cool for xmas lights, ususally a bit quirky :D

Maybe try a good toddler carrier? I know lots of people that still wear preschoolers and I would think a trip to London would be the perfect occasion to try it out. Especially if LO is mostly walking. Worth a look :)

Hmmm thanks for all the replies.....

He walks a lot if it's something he's interested in but if it's 'travelling' ie a boring walk through the tube or from one place to another we get about 5-10 mins then he point blank refuses to walk. He's incrediblly stubbourn and then will happily sit on the floor rather than walk, then dh has to carry him (which he's just done back from fireworks because it's 8.30 and he's nearly asleep) and his asthma has set off because ds is so heavy! Even breaks don't help.

I don't like using the buggy anyway because it's annoying and quite frankly, people judge....

He can't ride a bike, or a scooter, he's just not that great physically. A buggy board would be fab but sadly looks like I'll never be able to have another child so I won't be able to try that.

I'm actually really regretting this trip. A buggy is a nightmare but without it we'll make it to Saturday lunchtime before either ds or dh has a meltdown.....might look into cancelling it. Think it's probably for the best. Thanks for the advice ladies.

Hun you'll have a brilliant time honestly, take a buggy for your piece of mind it really isn't that bad, yes it'll be busy and a bit of a phaff but there'll be hundreds of buggies, as I say we go into London all the time with a push chair only time I avoid it is if I'm by myself. Who cares if someone judges you'll never see them again. DON'T CANCEL it'll be brill. :hugs:

Hun you'll have a brilliant time honestly, take a buggy for your piece of mind it really isn't that bad, yes it'll be busy and a bit of a phaff but there'll be hundreds of buggies, as I say we go into London all the time with a push chair only time I avoid it is if I'm by myself. Who cares if someone judges you'll never see them again. DON'T CANCEL it'll be brill. :hugs:

Oh no don't cancel! Even if LO isn't great physically, he might still make 3/4 of what you have planned and surely that's worth going for. If it gives you piece of mind, take the buggy and keep it on stand by for day 2 if day 1 doesn't go to plan.
My LO's would probably faint with excitement at some of the things on your itinerary (Santa at Harrods)

Don't over think it, just enjoy a lovely weekend x:hugs:

Oh no don't cancel! Even if LO isn't great physically, he might still make 3/4 of what you have planned and surely that's worth going for. If it gives you piece of mind, take the buggy and keep it on stand by for day 2 if day 1 doesn't go to plan.
My LO's would probably faint with excitement at some of the things on your itinerary (Santa at Harrods)

Don't over think it, just enjoy a lovely weekend x:hugs:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back