London Xmas weekend, 4yo, buggy or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please don't cancel, its sounds amazing and you will have a fab time!

Perhaps take the buggy and you can always leave it at the hotel if you don't feel like using it but at least you have it if you want. I imagine its just a umbrella stroller so no biggie to fold up when going on the tube. Hubby could carry it whilst you keep hold of DS.

Like I said I had Chloe was in a buggy until she was almost 4 and at Disney she was 4 1/2 and in the stroller. Don't think about other people, you'll never see them again. You do what you feel is best and sod everyone else :)

There will be places to leave the pushchair everywhere you go so don't worry about that.

xxx

I don't really want to take it....it's annoying and gets in the way but I don't think we can manage with it or without it. Next year would be better I think.

Aw don't cancel! There has to be a way around it. Some options:
- Take a really light, foldable stroller that you can have him in if needs be and fold up to use public transport.
- Heelies (or roller skates even)- maybe a good option, he can hold yours and your OH's hands and you can just pull him along! And then when he feels up to walking he can just pop the wheels away. This is what I'd do in your situation
- Preschool Carrier- you could borrow one from a sling library
- Maybe explain about the trip and give him the option of going, but explain that if he does go he will have to walk, possibly he'd give it a good go?
- Make the boring bits fun to keep him going, like give him a kids map of London and turn it into a treasure hunt, whenever you finds your destination he gets a treat?

I don't really want to take it....it's annoying and gets in the way but I don't think we can manage with it or without it. Next year would be better I think.

Honestly hun London with a pushchair is totally do-able, as I say we go with a travel system which is much bigger, and the places you've mentioned on your itinerary are buggy friendly, it's never ideal having a buggy where there will be lots of people but we can't be expected to put our lives on hold until our kids have grown up xx

If it helps I could let you know how we get on in regards to Jacob walking this next weekend and also my eldest is in a wheelchair so can help with guidance for a buggy in regard to access, plus we are doing the tea time experience at harrods too?

Just done central London for 5 days ago with a 12 year old 6 year old and 2.5 year old, didn't take buggy after the first day as jumping on and off the tube is a nightmare, We actually ended up taking our small flight bag (small case type on wheels). If she got tierd the youngest just sat on it and we pulled her, made it a lot easier as its all steps down to the tubes and very busy, especially Piccadilly line near rain forest cafe. Also if you take bags into harrods anything bigger than a ruck sack you need to leave it near entrance 3 and collect when you leave, think it's about £10 per item.

Personally i wouldn't take a buggy, my oldest did London at 4 years old and she was fine :) only you know your child though x

I wouldn't use a buggy at that age. Looks like a lot of activity but quite a lot seems to be seated x

If it helps I could let you know how we get on in regards to Jacob walking this next weekend and also my eldest is in a wheelchair so can help with guidance for a buggy in regard to access, plus we are doing the tea time experience at harrods too?

That would be great thank you x

Living in London most my life (and taking two children there last week by train). I would say take the buggy just in case, it will be crazy busy. My eldest is 2 and we like to walk her most places but London its just easier and safer in a pushchair.

Agree with above pp. I'm also Kent now but from London and my first thoughtwas that a pushchair would be safer so you don't get separated in a crowd. Can you attach a carry strap to a stroller?

I personally dont use a pushchair for my DS (4) but thats mostly because i use one for DD2 (1) instead. DS has managed a 2 day Legoland trip, 2 day Chessington trip, 3 day Disneyland trip and lots of London/City day trips without a buggy. He was tired by the end and we needed a few extra rest stops but he surprised me no end x

EDIT : Edited to say i didnt find using a buggy in London all that bad, its not fun by any means but its not the worst. If you can, try and arrange to get off at tube stations that have lifts or just get him to get out and walk the stairs whilst you carry the buggy. Some of the tubes are wider now with no seperate carriages so you can get on/off easier and they have alot more room on them. We regularly do it with DD2 (1) in a buggy, DS (4) walking and DD1 (7) walking and we manage x

The school I teach at takes children from 2-and-a-half years (it's an independent school), and we'd expect our two and three year olds to be walking all day on a school trip. Just another point of view.

We'll it seems ds is in the minority at having tired little legs and upset over walking so far and I should just expect him to walk the 7-10 miles each day (I've calculated it) with no complaints.

Definitely cancelling. More hassle than its worth and I'm just going to be stressed over it and expect too much from him when I know he's not up to it - even if that seems to make him a freak compared to everyone else on here :-(

We'll it seems ds is in the minority at having tired little legs and upset over walking so far and I should just expect him to walk the 7-10 miles each day (I've calculated it) with no complaints.

Definitely cancelling. More hassle than its worth and I'm just going to be stressed over it and expect too much from him when I know he's not up to it - even if that seems to make him a freak compared to everyone else on here :-(

What's the point in cancelling? It's hardly a big issue. IF you know he's not up to it then take the buggy. Everyone else's choices doesn't matter.

My daughter is 3 and no way would she be able to manage a whole day of walking around London without asking to be carried. Only you can decide what you want to do, if you want to take a pushchair do it but there's no need to get upset because other people have stated they wouldn't. X

My ds went 4 in September, he never uses a pushchair for normal everyday use and hasn't for a long time however he is not good at walking long distances and in July I took his pushchair when we went for a day to Thorpe park and in August I took it again for a day out and he used it a lot and even had a nap in it as they were long days for him.

If I hadn't of taken it he would of moaned the whole day about how his legs are tired and dh would of ended up carrying him a lot which is not easy as he's a big 4 year old

Next month we are going to disneyland Paris for 5 days and I'm defiantly packing the pushchair for him, he does look too big for it and maybe people have judged me for it but i really don't care what other people think, there not the ones dealing with my miserable boy all day long if I'd of made him walk

I wouldn't cancel the trip for that reason alone, if he needs a pushchair just take it with you, what's the point in making things harder for yourselves if it means you will all have a more enjoyable day then I don't see the big deal

I'm just quite sensitive about it. People, not just on here, irl too, have made me really paranoid that he's not strong enough or there is something wrong with him because he can't walk miles and miles without getting tired and upset.

Take the pushchair and push it with your head held high!

We went for a day trip with my LO who will be 4 on 22/11 last week and he ended up being carried a lot by OH. it wasn't so much him being tired as the hectic-ness meant it was easier and quicker to carry him. I would take the pushchair on the first day and see how you get on. You can always adjust your itinery other than the booked things! My LO is tall and looks older than he is so we got looks when he was 2 and a 1/2!! My son isn't very physical compared to his peers either, he isn't great at climbing and things. They all develop in different ways and at different rates.

Don't let the worry of what others think spoil what will be a lovely time xx

I know someone who took her three kids to Disneyland earlier this year. She took one buggy for her 3yr old but ended up hiring a buggy for her then 5 yr old cos he was struggling with the distance. In actual fact him and his older sister aged 7 both used the buggy at different intervals when they got very tired. I see nothing wrong with a four year old using a buggy if they are in unusual circumstances. Actually I think I'd be happier if my child was secure in a buggy. Don't cancel your weekend - it sounds amazing! You know your child best so go with your gut instinct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"