London Xmas weekend, 4yo, buggy or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm just quite sensitive about it. People, not just on here, irl too, have made me really paranoid that he's not strong enough or there is something wrong with him because he can't walk miles and miles without getting tired and upset.

I'd struggle walking round London for the day never mind a 4 year old! From the safety aspect a buggy would be better, people swinging bags around and bumping into you is bad enough when you're an adult never mind 3 feet tall. And if people stare, let them. I would never make a comment or be judgemental about a child in a pushchair because for I know that child could be sick or hurt or disabled. And I'm usually too busy trying to stop my own child doing something life threatening lol. What pushchair do you have? The baby jogger city mini is fab for bigger kids and folds up flat which is really handy on public transport. Maybe someone has one you can borrow or you could pick one up on ebay and sell it again afterwards? I love mine and my very tall almost three year old goes in it regularly when he's not on his scooter. Never actually occurred to me that people would think it strange, it's not like you're pushing around some hulking great teenager! And if they do, stuff them.

When I was 4 my mum used to pick me up from school with my little brother (2) in the pushchair, he'd get out and I'd get in to walk home. This went on until my brother stopped needing a pushchair and then my big brother started giving me piggy backs but then I fell off and split my head open so the piggy backs stopped. Then I begged my mum to let me ride the dog but she refused so I got roller skates :haha:. I was terrible at walking, I would get tired so quickly. But now I walk just fine (I rarely use roller skates and no one in my family including animals lets me use them as a mode of transport :winkwink:). If your DS needs a pushchair for you all to enjoy the trip then I say let him use one, there is no harm in it. You can build up his walking ability in normal day to day life- if you take him for a daily walk then stretch it a little further every few days, for example- if you feel he needs it. If people give you looks then just try to let it wash over you, it is them with the problem being judgemental when they don't know anything about you guys.

We were abroad on hols during the summer and the buggy was a lifesaver! Even for carrying bags etc too. Dd was 3.5 at the time. She would have not been able for all the walking we did,plus the heat also. I say bring the buggy if you think he'll use it, is so much easier in crowds too.

Personally (coming from someone who lived in London for 8 years and goes back many times a year):

I would keep away from Oxford Street. For the sake of looking at a few pretty Christmas windows the hassle isn't worth it. It's one of the busiest shopping streets in the country and it will increase ten fold around Christmas time. You will find it a nightmare negotiating it with a pushchair. People down there are also incredibly impatient so don't expect someone to be polite and stand aside while you negotiate crowds of thousands with a pram. It won't happen.

Using a pram in London is easy enough if there is two of you and you have the right pram- if you have one of these big heavy things, swap it (or borrow) a lightweight one that folds up small and in seconds. Buses are easier than tubes and if you buy an Oyster card when you go there is a £5 cap a day no matter where you travel. Plenty of apps available that will plan your bus routes for you.

It's an incredibly busy place so I hope you have four pairs of hands and eyes in the back of your head for when your son isn't in his pram. If it were me I would wait until the New Year and when things are less busy and have your trip then. Sure you will miss out on some "Christmassy" things- but there are other years to come when it will be easier to cope with and maybe your child will enjoy it more?

Honestly honey I would be surprised if people out shopping and sight seeing in London at this time of year even notice you and your buggy never mind wether you child is too old/big for it lol

As someone else said I would take it purely for the safety aspect!! The thought of my kid letting go of my hand even for a split second in London would fill me with total terror!! X

Oh I've just heard about an app- Go Baby London, it's a pram friendly map of London!

I wouldn't cancel it just because of some peoples opinions that you asked for hun. If you don't feel like your little one could handle walking that far then take the stroller. Not every child is the same, only you know how far your child can walk and do to be embarrassed, as it's no one else's business x

We are going to london at the end of November and we have decided to not take a pushchair for our DS who will be nearly 3 as it is just too busy. We have cut down on the things we would like to do and have added in lots of breaks. I am not too worried about my DS walking however my DD who is nearly 5 hates walking and is very slow but I am hoping she will be okay.

My SIL went to winter wonderland last year and she told me that she really struggled to get around with a pushchair.

Don't cancel your trip to London, just perhaps do less so you can rest when needed x

We've slightly rearranged things and are going to buy some roller skates - just for the long boring straight walks between places / hotel to tube etc to make it a bit more exciting (has to hold both our hands though). I hope it'll be alright.

Funnily enough, taking him london doesn't bother me - we take him about 3 times a year and are used to the crowds. It's just the level of walking / moaning / tears that bothers me.

Yay! Great news xx look forward to hearing all about it!

I have no idea what people have against pushchairs, it's very individual to the child if they need one.
I'm due soon with baby number 2 and my first isn't even quite 2 yet, and when I said we were getting a double the amount of people that asked 'what for? He can walk can't he?' was unreal. Yes, he can walk, he's walked since 10 months old, but he gets tired easily, he runs off all the time and I can't control him safely, he refuses reins and just lies on the floor and refuses to get up if I put them on him, he wouldn't stay on a buggy board, he'd run off at every opportunity. He needs a pushchair. It is unsafe to allow him to run around in busy places and lie down on the floor and refuse to walk whenever he feels like it. I need him restrained safely, he needs to rest. No one else's business, I know what is best for my child.
I would have loved to have taken him to London this year but not being due until end of November I'll be either be pregnant or just recovering from birth, so I've had to knock the idea on the head this year. I won't be able to walk that far pregnant or if I have stitches or something. I'm planning on going next year though, and I will absolutely be taking a pushchair when he'll be 3. London is busy, tiring and overwhelming for a small child, I wouldn't expect my son to cope all day and enjoy the day without having one with us. I'll pick the smallest, easiest folding one, but I will absolutely have one.
You do what is best for your child in your situation hun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"