Low dropping levels but HB found?

That's good the storms looking likely to miss you. We've had storms here recently (nothing like cyclones of course) and blew our garden fences down, horrible. There were trees down everywhere.

We did some sleep training around 6 months as she started getting worse instead of better and it worked so well she's slept through ever since. I won't tell you what time she wakes up haha!!

Yes we've been bding every other day since about cd10! So if I have oved I'm in with a chance! Only time will tell I guess. Xx

Well from latest update, we are still getting just a big storm here and the cyclone will hit further south tomorrow morning, however it still has til 6am to change its course of direction! If you google Cyclone Yasi, that's what we copped in 2011. It was awful! That's why I always dread this time of the year. We had a cyclone threat last year when I was due to give birth any moment and I was soooooo scared! Luckily it turned out to be nothing.

Haha nooooo, please don't. I am on my third coffee, these early wakings are making me one tired mama :coffee:

That's good, you have covered all your bases then! My fingers are crossed for you sweetie :flower:

Update on the pap smear, I went to the doctor today and she was absolutely awful. Terrible bedside manner and really rough. After all of it, I asked if she could forward the results to my work and she refused. Luckily when I was taking the form and sample to pathology, I knew the pathology lady who used to work at our doctors surgery and she did it for me. So my results should be back in a week. But I certainly will never go to anywhere but my own doctor at work from now on. :nope:

Gosh dette that dr sounds awful! It's funny you think drs will be very empathetic in their nature but its bot always the case. I'm sorry she added stress to an already sensitive situation but I'm glad the pathologist sorted it for you. Have you any ideas what the results could say yet?

You must have been petrified with the cyclone due when you were about the give birth! Mother Nature is really powerful.i hope all is ok there when this storm hits.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm having ovulation symptoms. Last cycle I started having heartburn and tender boobs literally 1-2 dpo. I felt pregnant but I knew it was way too early to tell. Fast forward 2 weeks and I was pregnant. Anyway suddenly this cycle,I feel the same! Heartburn (which I never ever get), tender boobs and just feeling pregnant. Really odd. I know it's too soon to tell if I was pregnant as assuming I've ovulated, it wouldn't have implanted. I never had ov symptoms before this though. Really odd. Anyway I'm counting myself as in the tww now!! X

I ended up writing a complaint to the surgery. The medical director there wrote back apologising and said it would be brought up with the doctor involved. Don't know if I will hear the outcome but I figure it might save another person from having a horrible experience. Well, my last pap smear was all normal so I would hope it would be the same this time around. Not sure if they do routine pap smears over there but they are recommended to be done 2 yearly over here.

Well, the cyclone continued to go south. We got nothing other then some rain and wind the day before it hit. So that was nice. But there is another brewing that's supposed to hit next week. -sigh-

Oh wow, maybe you caught your egg! I have my fingers crossed for you. When will you test? Hoping its a BFP!!

I'm glad you complained, the dr shouldn't get away with treating people like that! Yes we do have smear tests, 3 yearly unless you have an abnormal one and then it's more regular. I had treatment for abnormal cells a few years back but am back to 3 yearly now. Anyway I know what the smear is like and the last thing you want a dr eh is a cow doing that, it's uncomfortable enough as it is! I hope your results are good, I am sure they will be.

Glad the storm missed you. It has done nothing but rain in the uk for weeks and weeks. Is very stormy this weekend and we are at our in laws holiday home right on the beach so it's a bit scary! About to go out for dinner so will be very windswept by the time we get inside the restaurant. It's a rare night out for us as we don't have family close by so we usually have a night out when we see my in laws as they love to babysit!

Hmmm I don't know, I think it's way too early to tell if I did catch the egg. I'm not even 100% sure I ovulated. Def experiencing some symptoms but I think it's very early days if I have ovulated and maybe it's just a crazy first cycle after a mc. Ill test probably next weekend if af hasn't arrived.

Are you having a nice weekend? X

Well, she ended up calling me over the weekend to apologise. The practice manager would have made her, I assume because it sounded like a pretty poor apology. I just said that's fine and hung up. Never plan to see her again. I am glad you are back to your normal 3 yearly pap smear. I had a friend who had HSIL and ended up having some of her cervix removed (I think that's what they did??), but now they said her chances of conceiving are pretty small :(

We got a fair bit of rain over the last few days, which was nice because it's been a pretty dry wet season this year. But now it's back to disgusting humid heat! How nice that you got a night out! I hope you enjoyed it? Did you get up to anything else over the weekend?

Yes of course, too early to tell, but I certainly hope the symptoms you are having are from an awaiting BFP over the next week! :flower:

My Day 21 results came back yesterday, looks like progesterone is definitely not my issue. Got a lovely result of 65. Just have to await my ultrasound on Thursday and hope for good results there too :)

I wonder if Literati has forgotten about us :haha:

It's probably that mischievous baby making her tired I expect haha!

I'm glad the nurse called you to apologise, even though she was made to, she should have been made to as she was out of order! Luckily I had a hot loop burn the bad cells away but they said my fertility wouldn't be affected and I guess it wasn't as it was before I had my dd. your poor friend, what a shame, will she be able to carry a baby at all? How sad :-(

We had a lovely weekend thanks. We enjoyed a meal out and some wine, time to have fun and be a family together! We had some nice walks, shopping, breakfast out etc. it was lovely!

I'm feeling really sad again today :-( I was really enjoying the tww and felt really positive but today I feel silly for thinking I would be lucky enough to catch in my first cycle and I think af is on the way. Maybe I'm still up and down after the mc, it was only 4 weeks ago.

How are you feeling? X

Hello, you two. Wow, you've been quite chatty while I've been gone. I've had a crazy several days.

My DH had surgery on Monday for his esophagus. It was pretty major surgery and he has to be off work for 6 weeks. Well, his employer was aware of this and that my DH was planning on applying for Short Term Disability through his work health plan. Well, knowing this and not wanting to pay the extra premiums from a claim, they went and FIRED him on Friday...his last day of work before his surgery...so he can't collect any disability benefits. Not only that, but they had to find a way to make it "legal" so they had been searching for a reason - ANY reason - to dismiss him with cause for weeks (without him having any idea). So Friday was the first he even heard of anything going on, and then he was shocked to be fired over a technicality. He can fight it of course, but it wouldn't see legislation until fall, and obviously we need money and his employment long before then. And now he is unable to work for 6 weeks as he is recovering from surgery, so we have no income coming in, and it will be very difficult for him to find a new job as he doesn't have a good reference with his old job now. :( It's been tremendously stressful and I just want to curl up into a corner and cry.

This is SO not the news anyone wants to hear when they have a baby on the way. I desperately want to take my maternity leave but if he hasn't found employment by then there is no way we would ever survive on my mat. leave income. :cry:

Anyway...enough of my sob story.

Dette - That's interesting you have a feeling my LO might be a girl! I am really hoping so but of course will be thrilled either way! I think my dr said I wouldn't get an u/s until I'm 20 weeks so I still have a bit to go but I'm sure it will fly by. I'll be 20 weeks on March 21!

Sorry to hear your dr who did your pap smear was so dreadful! I'm glad you complained and got an apology. I think we have to get a pap smear every 2 or 3 years as long as it comes back normal, which mine always have.

Yeah, I'm still having M/S unfortunately. :( Puked before work this morning. *sigh* I can't really complain as I'm so blessed and any symptoms remind me that there's a little baby in there, but I won't mind at all when the M/S subsides! I'm definitely thrilled to be in the 2nd trimester.

Wow, I can't believe Hunter has been getting up even earlier now! He really is a morning person! Do you find that he wakes up just as early no matter how late you put him to bed? I know other parents seem to say that but I wasn't sure if that was your experience. I will definitely try not to rub it in if my baby is a good sleeper. ;) But you never know...your next baby might be an AWESOME sleeper! I know my parents say that my sister was just a terrible baby and cried all the time and rarely slept, but then I came along and was so happy and slept like an angel. So maybe your next one will be SUPER easy. :)

I am not quite sure when I'll tell work yet. I was thinking toward the end of next week? I took Fri the 14th off, as the 17th is a stat holiday so I thought I'd give myself a 4-day weekend. So I thought it might be nice to tell on the Thursday before I leave for the weekend. We still haven't even told one of DH's siblings yet. We honestly meant to last weekend but with all the crap going on we never got a chance. We also haven't told any extended family or general friends/acquaintances yet so we have to figure out when to do that. I would be happy to wait another week to be honest, but I feel like it's time to get the news over with so at least I can explain to people why I am SO exhausted/ sick and even more stressed about dh's job situation. It's just weird because I'm not looking forward to telling people at all now that our lives are so crappy. It seems like no one will be happy for us...they'll just pity us more because our lives are such a mess.

Did you manage to survive that cyclone? I was following your instagram and it looked like it turned out okay? That does sound really scary and it is understandable about the mass panic with everyone buying out all the food and drink at the grocery stores!

I am glad your progesterone is good!! It's nice to eliminate that as a problem. :)

MrsW - I live in Canada! Does Eastenders only air in England? I wonder if it will ever come out on Netflix or anything.

I am sorry you are feeling sad today. That's very understandable. :hugs: It's definitely hard not to get your hopes up every month but it's totally normal to take a few months and your turn will come very soon. :hugs:

I am also sorry about your cat. :( I know what it's like to have to put a pet down and it really isn't something you can get over easily. I'm sure your cat was amazing and deserves to be remembered.

Do you just have the one daughter? I am hoping I end up enjoying the 2nd trimester like you did. So far I'm having even more symptoms than the first! But hopefully they ease up soon. How are you doing otherwise?

Hi Mrs W - That's sooo lucky that your fertility wasn't affected, what a relief that must have been! Well my friend actually just had more bad news, they found more of it and will have to schedule her in for more surgery. She said she should still be able to conceive with it but the chances of her carrying to fullterm are veeerrryyy slim. So she may have a very premmie bub. She has her wedding in April so she won't be considering having another before that's over with anyway.

I am glad to hear you've had a nice and relaxing weekend, sounds like what you needed! Sorry to hear you were feeling down though during the TWW. There is no reason to think you may miss your eggie this month, heaps of women conceive straight after an MC. However I think most drs recommend waiting a cycle just for dating purposes. So even if you miss this cycle, don't be too upset! :hugs: You're not out til the fat lady sings anyway, or in this case Aunt Flo shows her ugly face :haha:

I am feeling okay, glad it is now the weekend though! AF showed up for me today, so I am quite crampy and hormonal. A friend on Facebook announced her pregnancy today so I was a bit upset by it. I know my time will come eventually, as OH is not ready to TTC just yet and I don't really think I am either financially, but I still took the announcement to heart, probably doesn't help considering how bad my PMS is this cycle. :wacko:

Have any nice plans for the weekend?

Hi Lit, so nice to see you back, I was thinking you forgot about us :haha: I am SO sorry to hear your terrible news! That is absolutely awful and the worst timing possible. You poor thing and your poor DH :nope: That is such an awful thing for his employer to do considering the circumstances. Just not fair at all! Do new employers rely on references from old employers? Here if you just simply state on your resume where you worked and how long for, it's usually enough and they just contact references you choose (eg. friends, friendly co-workers you might choose etc) so it doesn't necessarily have to be your previous job.

I certainly hope he recovers quickly and finds a new job soon so that you are both able to relax a bit :hugs: At least your scan in March will be something positive for you both to look forward to!

Yes, well thankfully my pap smear, bloods and ultrasound all came back normal. No sign of any fertility problems, so that's a relief. I guess the MC really just was spontaneous, which while still hurts it is reassuring to know there are no real problems for us in the future.

Aww, I can't believe your M/S is still hanging on. Just what you need :nope: Do you find anything that relieves it a little? If I ate dry toast in the morning, I felt better!

Yeah, it doesn't matter what time he goes to sleep. It could be 6pm, 6.30 - 7 etc, he will still wake up at a ridiculous hour! So I think we have to start incorporating some more controlled crying at this hour to try and get him back to a more normal hour, I could handle 5:30am.. 4:30, not so much :nope: I do hope my second is a better sleeper! I have earnt that much after a year of little to no sleep!

I hope that telling your work goes well!! I feel sad that you worry people will pity you though. I feel like most will just see it as a beautiful positive in your life, very much something to look forward to. It will all work out, I am sure. I had an ex-co worker who I am still close to. She got a new job as a practice manager at a new surgery, fell pregnant then the owner of the surgery sold the practice and the new buyer fell through, so she had no job and to still be able to receive maternity leave, she had to find a new job and work at least 16 hours a week til 38 weeks. After a few weeks, she thankfully found something! So it just goes to show, to not give up hope. Your DH will find something, probably even better than his last job! :hugs:

Yep we survived the cyclone just fine! There were 2 others but they ended up fizzling out before they got close thankfully!

Dette - Sorry AF showed up and with it brought all the ugly hormonal changes! I'm sorry you found your friend's recent pregnancy announcement hard to take. I definitely know how that is. In fact, even before we started TTC, but I was feeling really baby crazy, I even found it hard to handle people's announcement. But after a m/c it's so much worse. I am looking forward to you starting to TTC again but I know I'll have to wait a while :)

It depends on the employer if they will contact your last job or just contact the references you give...but I think generally it looks bad if you don't include a reference from your last job. He does have a manager there who will still give him a reference but can only give him a personal reference - not on behalf of the company - because the company is strict about only HR giving an official reference. He does have references from others as well so I guess it's just a matter of getting through the question, "Why did you leave your last job?" and hoping employers will be understanding.

Thanks a lot for the well wishes. Thankfully, his recovery is going well and he at least feels well enough to apply to jobs online although he can't quite drive or attend interviews yet.

That is good to know you don't have any signs of fertility issues. I know it's hard to accept that your m/c was just spontaneous and without cause, but it is probably a lot better news than something being wrong with you. You have a full chance of a healthy pregnancy next time!

Eating definitely helps, and so do lemon candies and lemon water or lemonade. But lately I am throwing up the moment I get up before I can even get anything to eat. I am repulsed by the smell of coffee and my DH dared to make himself some coffee this morning. The moment I woke up and smelled it I started throwing up. :sick: But now that I've eaten and such I am feeling okay. It is manageable, but still annoying!

That sounds like a good idea to try to controlled crying when he wakes up that early. That is just WAY too early for any human being! I hope he adapts to a longer sleep soon. You have definitely earned an amazing sleeper for your next one.

Thanks for that little anecdote about your friend. I do know a lot of people go through stressful times during pregnancy and still make it through all right, so hopefully that will be the case for us. We just finally told DH's brother today, as well as both sets of his grandparents. I think we'll start telling friends at church on Sunday and then I'll still wait til the end of the week next week to tell work.

How was your week? Anything new and exciting?

Mrs W - How are you doing?

Yeah I am starting to get super impatient. The more I think about the financial side of things, the more I think it is just not going to be possible in the near future. Mainly from the childcare point of view, because once I have to go back to work and the new bub would go to childcare, I would be paying double what I am now for both Hunter and new baby. And we wouldn't be able to afford it :cry: If I go back to work fulltime, I would get less assistance from the government for childcare, meaning our current fees for Hunter would go up and for the baby too.

My friend pays $400 a week to send her son to daycare fulltime and they get no assistance because they earn too much. So if I combine mine and OHs income if I am on fulltime, we would get no assistance. I am looking too far into the future, but I guess those are the sorts of things I need to think about before jumping onto the TTC wagon again. In the money side of things, waiting until Hunter is in school sounds like it will work better. :cry:

I understand what you mean now. I do remember in interviews I have had, they do tend to ask why you are leaving your current job. But it's not like your DH did anything wrong. It was unfair dismissal! So I really hope other companies can see that and are happy to give him a job. What does your DH do? Not sure if you have told me in the past.

Do you keep little sucking lollies on your bedside table, that way when you wake up, you could pop one in your mouth before you get up for the day? Not sure if that would work, but it's an idea if you haven't tried it yet :) I used to have little lollies at my work station for when I felt nauseated. At least with this full blown M/S you know you have a very healthy growing bean in there!! But I bet you miss your coffee, poor thing!

Well, OH did my shift this morning. Got up to Hunter and I slept in til 7:30am. Isn't it funny how I consider that hour a sleep in now, I would've have been repulsed by that hour a few years ago :haha:

I am soooo excited that you are starting to tell people. Makes it sooo real now! I just cant wait to hear the gender announcement! Have you thought of any names yet? Or ideas for a nursery?

My week was pretty boring, glad it's over. However Monday is creeping around the corner again :coffee: To be honest, I have spent most the week researching universities and degrees as I really want to take up study and get a proper career/better money too lol. I feel like that's all I have done this week and I still can't make up my mind!!

Hey ladies.

I am on my iPad so it's a bit hard to do a proper catch up so apologies if I miss out on stuff you've been talking about.

Literati I'm so sorry to hear about your hubby's job, that's awful! It does sound like unfair dismissal, I really feel for you both. How is he recovering?

I know you will be worried about money and things with the baby on the way and I totally understand that you will want all nice things for the baby but if you can, remember that all the baby wants/needs is love and a nice, warm home with mummy and daddy so don't feel bad if you can't afford some bits until later on after they are here, they don't really need a lot.

Dette sorry af showed up. Childcare is so expensive isn't it. It works differently here I think but it's still really expensive. I pay £54 a day and Freya goes 3 days a week so after tax I don't earn much from working really but I do think its good for both of us. She enjoys nursery and has learnt so much! And I like working. But yes with 2 I wouldn't earn anything. Luckily though in the uk from age 3 they start to get free nursery slots and although if I get pregnant now or soon she will only be two - two and a half ish when the baby comes, I'll be taking a year off again so by the time I go back to work we will get some help for her childcare. But it is expensive and I don't know about where you are but in the uk for a lot of women it doesn't really pay to go back to work.

We did cc with Freya when she was 6 months as she starting waking a lot and feeding her didn't help. The first night was hard, she cried for hours and going in made her worse. I don't know how I did it, I was hysterical and hubby cried too. The second night, she cried for 15 minutes. The third night, she had stopped by the time I got down the stairs and she has never cried going to bed or waking up since. So I think it can definitely work to do 'sleep training' and just to change his routine and let him realise when morning is would help.

As for me. Feeling really down :nope: I had a bfn yesterday no the day before. I am 12 dpo now and I'm not going to test again until Wednesday (even though I'm dying to!!) when af would be a day late. Though I think she will show before then. I do feel quite af like and had some brownish discharge so yeh. I think she's coming.

I had kind of dealt with my mc by convincing myself we would catch first time again like with did with my dd and the mc. I know I was very lucky both those times but in order to try and help me get over the mc I had to think positively! Now that I don't think it has worked I'm in for a big fall!! I just kept thinking it would be ok to have an October baby, I wouldn't be that far behind most of my newly preggo friends. Next cycle would give me an early December baby. I just hope of af is coming she hurries up!

I'm so sorry you are still feeling and being so sick lit. I must admit I was lucky in both my first tris, I felt sick and nauseous but in a hung over, I need to eat kind of way and never actually threw up. It must be really hard especially when it doesn't seem to be easing but I'm sure it will soon. Your placenta will have well and truly taken over now so soon you should start to feel better I hope.

Ahh Canada, isn't it funny that Sherlock showed at the same time in Canada and the uk! I just assumed you were uk too. Anyway eastenders is a soap set in London so I think you can only get that in the uk.

Well it's Sunday morning. Yesterday we went shopping and hubby took us for lunch as I was feeling really down about my bfn. I bought myself some shoes as an 'I'm not pregnant this month' gift but they are flats so I also had in mind that if I'm preggo over summer I can wear them lots as will have swollen achey feet! Hehe!

Today (after my bacon and egg sandwich that husband is cooking) we are taking Freya swimming and later a roast pork dinner. Hope you are both having lovely weekends.

Becky xx

I agree! We bought loaaadddss of big expensive things for LO before he was born and majority were so unnecessary. It's so true, all they want is mummy and daddy's love!

Childcare benefits from the government here are income tested. If you are on a low income, you get more assistance. At the moment, both OH and I's combined income is $83k which is considered an average to low income here. Hunter goes 3 days a week, which is $80.00 a day. After the government pay their bit, all I pay is $89.00 for the week. But say if I go back to work fulltime, our income will go from $83k to $98k. Meaning less assistance from the government and probably having to pay a majority of the childcare fee, which if I were paying 5 days a week x $80.00 = $400 :( Hardly seems worth it. Especially to send 2 children. I think once Hunter moves to the toddler group, fees drop $5 a day? Not 100% sure though!

Here in Australia, we currently get 4 months paid maternity leave through the government. Most of us can't afford to stay at home after this period because the cost of living is sooo high here. So I saved a lot of my payments and was able to stay off til about 6 months. But yes definitely wouldn't be able to take any longer off with the next baby :nope:

Yeah controlled crying was hard for us too :( It was really effective though and after about 1-2 weeks, he was STTN. Its just these early wakings for the last month that have been killer and the CC doesn't seem to be making a difference because every morning is bang on 4:30am.

Sorry to hear about your BFN :hugs: Has AF showed up yet? Even though we aren't actively TTC, I still test every month just incase lol! I get so disappointed seeing 1 line so I know how upsetting it is. Hopefully you get next months egg! A December baby means maybe a baby's first Christmas meaning cute newborn photos!!! :haha:

Your present to yourself sounds like an awesome idea. Maybe I should start doing that :haha: Did you have a nice weekend? Sounds like you had some nice plans for it. OH worked Saturday but had Sunday off, we had a quiet one as it was pouring down rain. I just went to the gym while OH watched TV with Hunter. Not very exciting at all!

Hello, girls! How are you doing?

Dette - That is incredibly expensive for daycare! I can't believe yours is $400 a week without assistance! Our daycares here are about $500-600/month per child...and it is less once the children are in school of course. So I can't imagine $400/week. If that were the case, I would not bother going back to work...or I'd have to find a way for DH to work opposite shifts of me so we wouldn't need daycare. That is so ironic that if you worked more to afford daycare for two that you wouldn't be eligible for assistance and would therefore not be able to afford daycare at all! How ridiculous. You are lucky you get assistance with such a high income, though. Here, we don't get any government assistance unless our combined family income is less than $30K/year...and we have very high living expenses as well and literally NO one could live on that income! If Hunter were in pre-school by the time you had your 2nd in daycare, would the costs be slightly less? I understand that you'd like to have everything financially lined up before you have your second, and that's smart, but surely thousands of families have kids when they can't really "afford it" and they still have happy, healthy families together and wouldn't be able to imagine life without their kids. Our financial situation is far worse with a baby on the way, as my income doesn't even cover our basic bills and groceries (and, by the way, I have a degree and I don't think I make much more than you...so it's not always worth it to get an education if you already have a decent job). But our baby will come and we'll somehow make it work because we have to. I think it will be worth it.

I understand we don't need a ton of expensive stuff, but the baby does need clothes, blankets and a place to sleep, and we won't even be able to afford that. Not to mention a car seat is a necessity, and I would have a really hard time if I didn't have a stroller and couldn't go for walks or leave the house ever. Then there's bottles and a breast pump and all those other things. It adds up, and at the moment we can't afford anything. So, yes, I'm trying not to panic, but our baby does -need- some things...and it's a very scary feeling to not be able to provide any of it.

My DH was working as a delivery driver but he is looking for jobs in sales as he has lots of experience and the perfect personality for it.

I do find hard candies help a lot but hadn't thought to have them by my bed. Thankfully, this week my m/s has been a lot less severe...besides the smell aversions. Hopefully it is on its way to disappearing?

That is really nice you got to "sleep in" even if your version of sleeping in is very different now!

We have told most of our friends now so that's good. But I still haven't told work and just feel weird about it. I don't want everyone to hate me since all my work will be dumped on other people. We have the exact name picked out for a boy and for a girl, but I am keeping them a surprise until the baby comes! As for the nursery, we want a jungle animal theme. :)

What sort of fields are you interested in studying at Uni?

Mrs W - My hubby is recovering really well and I am glad it has been easier than I thought it would be...although that first week was really hard. Hopefully he'll be feeling up to getting around more next week and maybe attending some interviews if he gets any calls?

Thanks... I will try not to worry about not being able to provide anything for my child. It is really hard, though.

That is good if you feel going to work is worth it because you enjoy it. If you enjoy the break and find it fulfilling, then it is worth it to spend so much on daycare a few days per week. :) Btw Freya is a lovely name.

Sorry to hear you're feeling down and got a BFN. :( It is true that it's very uncommon to get preg on the first try so you shouldn't feel bad for not falling pregnant quite so quickly this time. I'm sure your time will come very soon. Maybe your body is still healing.

I hope either AF or a BFP hurries up so you can move on or know what's going on!

Thanks...I did start feeling better this week so hopefully it stays away!

That is really nice you bought yourself a gift for not being pregnant! It's always good to treat yourself when you're feeling down!

Yeah it is pretty ridiculous. Though I don't think the Canadian dollar and the Aussie dollar are TOO big of a difference, I think the cost of living in Australia can be significantly higher compared to other places. Even living in Queensland alone is more expensive than living further down south. For a tiny unit here, we pay $640 a fortnight. My personal loan is $280 a fortnight. An average grocery shop for just the 3 of us is about $300 for the fortnight. I get $1000 a fortnight (whereas fulltime, it would be about $1800). Which might seem like a lot but I believe we are only paid more so it is possible for us to pay for just general living, because here my income is not considered a high amount at all. After the bills are paid, I have next to nothing left. And OH like I said, here he is on what's considered a low to average income, so even with a second baby, there is no way we could survive on his income alone. The government would not even give us parenting payments because OH's income is just over the mark. So we get what is called Family Tax Benefit, which for us is only an extra $50 a fortnight. Not much at all here. Probably enough for a box of nappies and 1 tin of formula.

I am looking at studying registered nursing, which is a 3 year degree through university. The average income for most fresh graduates starts out at $55-60k a year, which is a lot more than what I would be on currently without a degree! A clinical nurse at the general hospital gets up to about almost $90k and if you are a nursing director, about $140k. Plus it has been something I have wanted to do for a while! I am looking at applying next semester and studying externally so I can still work.

If I have learnt anything. I would save yourself from buying a breast pump until you know you need one. They are really expensive and either breastfeeding will click for you and you won't need one until later on when you are considering leaving LO for a few hours, because for the first few weeks, they recommend not using one until breastfeeding is established. That or it may not work out at all and you may just need to buy bottles after all. But I definitely wish I waited, as I have a $250 breast pump that I barely used.

I do hope your DH finds something soon. How is his recovery coming along? He sounds like he is someone that will be able to pick up a new job fairly easily once he is able to get up and around again.

I am glad to hear your m/s seems to be dying off a little bit. That's a great sign and hopefully you start to feel better and better every day! I think I got hit with another wave of it around the third trimester, so don't be surprised if it seems to come back!

Aww, I really hope you feel better about telling your work soon. You won't be able to hide that little bump for too much longer :haha: I know what you mean about feeling as though people will treat you differently because of certain jobs you will be unable to do. But surprisingly, a lot of coworkers were really good about it. And you said you had a coworker that was also pregnant there before? How did they treat her?

We kept our names a surprise too, it's nice to have it that way! Especially if you plan to announce the gender. We did so we kept the name a surprise. A lot of people we know announce the gender and the full name before the baby is even born so there is no real surprise left!

I have been okay, hating work a lot lately though. Seems to be no improvement on the management side of things. Our office manager seems to be getting more of an attitude the longer she is in the role and it's really awful. A lot of the other girls I work with are also searching for new jobs. So I have welcomed the weekend with open arms!! How are you feeling? xx

Hey ladies!

How are you both doing?

Dette - gosh 4-6 months maternity must be quite tough. In the uk you can have up to 9 months with maternity pay (it isn't a lot but we coped ok) and if you want to take a year the last 3 months are unpaid. I took a year and then I went back 3 days a week and I will do the same next time. I am always amazing when girls in the USA have like 6 weeks off and go back to work. It seems so unfair that the differences are so huge.

Sorry to hear work hasn't been great. It's awful when someone at work makes life difficult because you spend so much of your life there. Luckily I work with a really good team so I enjoy going to work but I've had jobs in the past where I dreaded going in and it's horrible. Hopefully when you start studying you'll feel better because you'll have that future career to focus on and know that you won't be in your current role forever.

Oh the af presents are definitely a necessity! Thanks to another thread on here I have a pamper night when she arrives with a hot bath, glass if wine or hot chocolate, good book or magazine and have now started the present thing haha! I also bought myself a lovely raspberry shower gel and body butter, scrummy!!

Literati - I know what you mean there will still be things you will need for the baby. Will you have a baby shower of family and friends that will buy gifts? In the uk we don't do gift lists or anything but I got so many presents, and my sister did too. I was overwhelmed by how generous people were. I didn't need to buy Freya any clothes for a very long time thanks to all the gifts and donations of used baby stuff we were given. I hope this happens for you too. As for the pram/stroller, maybe you could get a cheaper version on eBay or a local selling site?

I'd agree with dette it might be best to buy your breast pump after baby is here. I was the opposite to dette though, I was told not to bother with an electric pump because unless you're expressing alot you don't need one. I was only planning to express now and then so I could go out and leave her or have a few glasses of wine occasionally. I bought a hand pump and all the bottles and microwave steriliser to match. I used it a handful of times before the hand pump broke and then my microwave blew up so we got a new one and the steriliser didn't fit the new microwave!! Grrr anyway I expressed a fair bit so I ended up getting a fairly expensive electric pump and it was amazing so maybe get a few bottles but do the rest when baby is here.

How's the morning sickness this week? I'm hoping you're feeling even better!

How's your hubby? Is he feeling better now? Any interviews lined up? I'm sure he will find something good soon x

So af arrived a few days ago. I was gutted when I got a few bfns around 14 dpo though and I knew I wasn't pregnant so at that point I just wanted af to come so I could move on with the next cycle. I'm going to temp this month so I can check I definitely ovulate. I'm also drinking grapefruit juice to increase my ewcm. I was going to take evening primrose oil for the same reason but I've just read it can delay ovulation so I need to investigate that a bit more.

Have you both had a good weekend? Mine has been ok. Have felt really moody today and its my gramps funeral tomorrow so we don't have a very nice day, it will be very sad. Roll on next weekend and the start of ttc for cycle!!

It was very rough. And unfortunately finding daycare spots here is really hard. So we were lucky to get something so soon. Some people can wait up to a year to get a spot. But I definitely feel the the US ladies, I don't know how to go back at 6 weeks. God, I remember how sleep deprived and wrecked I was still then!

Yeah, one of the office managers is just rude and treats everyone like sh*t. She has no people skills, with patients or employees. She drilled one of the girls yesterday for not billing something, everyone ended up standing up for her and she still wouldn't let it go. She is just a horrible person :nope: I think when Hunter is in fulltime daycare, I will start searching for a new job, I can't imagine myself being here for another 3 years while I finish studying.

Is AF over for you now? I think my O has come and gone as all my OPKs are negative, I was pretty slack for testing this cycle so I didn't even see one turn remotely positive. OH and I have only DTD once this cycle and that was right after AF so I know there is not even a slim chance of a miracle baby :haha: Fingers crossed for you this cycle.

How have you been otherwise? It's the weekend here so I am just going to take it easy. I had gastro really badly last weekend and Hunter has had conjunctivitis, so we are going to have a quiet one at home. Have you got any plans?

Dette - Yeah, it's really expensive here as well. It would definitely be impossible to live on just dh's income (if he even had one), but if he is ever able to get a much higher salary and we can pay off all our debt, it would be my end-goal to be a SAHM. Realistically, it's not going to happen and I will hopefully at least be able to afford to work 4 days/week.

Being a RN is definitely a great career and one that you can make a lot better money at! My mom is an RN and it is definitely a stressful life with a lot of sleep-deprivation, but the flexibility in hours is also great and it's a career that is rewarding and fulfilling. I would think going back to school would definitely be worth it for that!

Thanks for the input on the breast pump, you two. I think I would end up getting an electric pump like you, Mrs. W. It doesn't seem like it would be worth it to sit there and pump it yourself when you're already a busy mom! My goal is to buy everything before the baby becomes because on my mat leave income we won't even be able to afford a 60-cent donut as a luxury if you know what I mean. :haha: I get that I might not need the breast pump for a month or two, and if dh doesn't get a job for a while it can definitely wait, but ideally I would like all the big expenses over with before the baby is born! Also, I am hoping to breast pump occasionally even after the first couple weeks so that DH can get up and feed the baby on Saturday mornings and let me sleep in. :haha: It's definitely possible my baby wouldn't take a bottle...but most of the moms in my close circle breast pump occasionally starting within a week or two, and their baby does fine and doesn't have any latching issues. I can't really predict what my baby will be like, but I hope it works out! We can also rent breast pumps here I suppose if it really comes down to a financial crunch...but that idea sort of grosses me out and I am planning on having 4 kids so I figured the investment would be worth it in the end.

DH's recovery is going very well. There are some adjustments to how he has to eat now that will affect him for the rest of his life, but he's getting the hang of it, and he is healing way faster than I ever thought he would! This has actually been way less stressful than I thought. Zero success on the job front, though. Thankfully our church gave us a financial gift last week to help us with the bills for another month. It should tide us over til April 1st.

They were pretty nice to my co-worker but she was one of those people who did everything they weren't supposed to while pregnant anyway. Also, now that she is gone there is definitely grumbling about people having to do her job which is what has made me feel like people might begrudge me when I'm gone too. Also, my boss was kind of rude to her and kept making comments about how HIS mom went back to work the next day after giving birth or something ridiculous like that, and tried to pressure her into only taking 2-3 months off even though we are fully entitled to a full year off here!

Yeah, I think it's kind of weird when people announce the name before the baby is born! It sort of takes the fun out of the birth announcement...although obviously it's a personal choice and it might be fun for parents to be able to call their baby by his/her name around whoever they want.

Sorry to hear you are hating work! Definitely sounds like you may need to find another job soon. It isn't worth it to work in such a toxic environment! Sorry to hear this week has been a sick week in your household. I hope you're feeling better and that Hunter heals up too.

I am feeling pretty good this week. I've definitely noticed an increase in energy (finally) in the second trimester.

Mrs W - We are entitled to take 1 year here as well, but the full 1 year of it is paid (although, like you, not very much!). I think that's great you're able to take your full year and then go back 3 days per week. That sounds just perfect. My goal is to go back 3 days per week by the 2nd child, but with some of the debts we have I may have to go back full-time after our first...or maybe 4 days per week at best.

I will definitely have a baby shower and already some family members have told us they would be helping us out with stuff, so that is nice. I know my parents will probably buy us a large ticket item, and my sister intends to buy something like an activity mat or something. I am definitely expecting to get most of my baby clothes at the baby shower since that seems to be what most people give. In the end, I know we'll be okay but sometimes it's hard not to worry!

Can I ask what the exact kind of your breast pump is? And do you know if you buy one brand of breast pump can you still use it with a different brand of bottles? I have a free sample of an Avent bottle so I was planning on using those, but I was hoping to get a Medela breast pump. I figured it's probably interchangeable but I really know nothing so thought maybe you could help!

The morning sickness is a lot better although I definitely still feel sick at certain smells (especially coffee still...ugh)! Now my biggest complaint is the heart burn/ indigestion! But this 2nd trimester really is a breeze compared to the first trimester...so far! :haha:

Hubby has a couple interviews lined up but they wouldn't be for good career jobs. They would be for jobs making less than half of what he was making previously...but that he could at least do for a bit while he is searching for that perfect job so that we can at least pay the bills in the mean time! Hopefully something better turns up soon.

So af arrived a few days ago. I was gutted when I got a few bfns around 14 dpo though and I knew I wasn't pregnant so at that point I just wanted af to come so I could move on with the next cycle. I'm going to temp this month so I can check I definitely ovulate. I'm also drinking grapefruit juice to increase my ewcm. I was going to take evening primrose oil for the same reason but I've just read it can delay ovulation so I need to investigate that a bit more.

Sorry to hear AF arrived. Good idea on the temping. I found it really helped me know what was going on with my body and when exactly to expect AF! I hope the grapefruit juice helps with CM. Are you taking Vitamin B6 at all? It can make your LP longer (and dette and I think it might delay ovulation by a day or two as well), but I took it from cd1-7 and then took a break until I ovulated, and then took it again after ovulation...and that is the month I conceived. Of course it could be a coincidence, but I read some research that really had me convinced it was a good idea (apparently it increases fertility and reduces the chance of miscarriage). https://sites.google.com/site/miscarriageresearch/vitamins-and-miscarriage/vitamin-b6 Another side benefit is that it helps with morning sickness!

How was your gramps' funeral? How is the rest of your family taking it? It is such a sad thing to lose a family member. I lost my grandpa about 5 years ago and sometimes I still think about him and get really sad. He is definitely missed.

As for weekend plans, I am hanging out with my BFF today although I'm not sure what we'll do...probably just talk like we always do! :haha: We usually can't get through a movie because we can't stop talking! Hope you both have a great weekend.

Literati - I have the medula swing pump and it's probably the best thing I ever bought baby wise!! A very good investment and I did the same as I knew I wanted 2 or 3 babies and I expressed quite a lot so I could have a glass of wine or a lie in, go out for an evening etc. I would recommend it. It comes with a couple of medula bottles that you express into, they have lids and then you can transfer into whatever bottles you are going to use. I used mam and then tommee tippee and the tt were much better.

Just don't be discouraged if you cane sores much at first. I was told to top Freya up by bottle within the first week as she lost over 10% of her body weight. It took me about an hour to get an ounce, it was sooooo heartbreaking!! But persevere because by 3 months I'd get 9 ounces in 10-15 minutes. I assumed bf would be easy but it can be quite hard, I found the first three months pretty tough, painful and exhausting but very rewarding and after the initial hard work, it gets so so easy! I fed until 15 months and I can't wait to do it again!! If you need any advice or support with it once babies here please ask and use the bf section on here.

I'm so glad your dh is recovering well, I'm sure a job will come along soon and will be perfect for him. How amazing that your church were able to help out in the meantime, that's really brilliant. I hope it had tided you over. The other thing I've done when money has been really tight in the past is sell things on eBay or a fb selling site. Most items didn't go for much but it did all really add up once I'd sold a load and if you have anything, even bundles or old clothes, books, DVDs etc you could gather up a little nest egg for baby essentials that way.

I was lucky to be able to do 3 days a week but I would have done 4 days if they had only offered that and I think it's a op good compromise to do 4 days until you have no 2. I work mon, tue and thurs. I love having Fridays off but we don't do much on a Wednesday and work wise I miss a lot .......(oops dd just spilt hubby's glass of water all over the floor....) so from a career perspective 4 days would work better.

No I'm not taking b6. This month I'm drinking grapefruit juice, temping, opks and conceive plus. My lp is ok, always 14 days but I don't ovulate until cd 19-21 so I was thinking of trying soy or vitex next cycle to get my ov date sooner. Although I'm a bit confused today. I'm cd 10 or 11 I think so I thought I'd do an opk, just to get started and it had a line?! Very confusing as I never normally get a line at all until a day or two before, it gets darker, darker and then will be gone. So I can only assume my hormones are still very confused. I've only been temping for 4 days so not enough to build up a very clear picture of what's going on. Anyway when I saw the opk I dragged hubby into bed to dtd in the middle of the day just incase haha! Thank goodness Freya was on her nap :rofl:

Oh thank you for asking, the funeral went ok. If funerals can be nice then it was, a lovely service. He had an allotment so we had flower displays with vegetables in them, really rustic. And we had some music on that he would have loved. My dad has taken it pretty bad, it was his dad. All very sad and we will miss him (and my nan who died 3 years ago) very very much.

Haha, that's the sign of a good friend when you just can't stop talking! Hope you had a lovely day together. We went to the park and into town today as we had a viewing on our house (it's for sale) and tomorrow I'm having my hair done. It's cold in the uk but was very sunny today so we will probably go for a walk tomorrow.

Dette - sorry you have all been poorly, I hope this nice relaxing weekend will have helped and you'll feel a bit better and more refreshed.

Yes af is over now, she reallllllly dragged on this month and I had brown spotting for ages afterwards but I hope it's pretty much gone now. I think the mc really messed up my body much more than I realised it would. I'm praying I ovulate this month and catch the egg of course but I'm paranoid now my opks are positive already that I'm just totally mucked up. It's so hard isn't it. You are so good being so relaxed about it all.

I hope something good comes up work wise. It sounds horrible working with the girl who is so rude. The person I am maternity cover for isn't very popular in the team I'm in and my team are really dreading her coming back. I actually liked her but it sounds like she's a really tough boss to work for. I always think its so unnecessary to treat anyone like that at work, as long as everyone gets the job done we should all be able to enjoy it as well, we are there so often!

Is Saturday night here so just about to put Freya to bed now and then put dinner in and probably open a bottle of wine! Hope you lovely ladies enjoy your weekends and thank you for all of the support and letting me join you chatting! X

Thanks a lot for that breast pump recommendation! I will definitely mark that down. I am a bit worried about having trouble with breastfeeding! As many success stories as I know, I also know a few people whose babies just wouldn't latch and I would absolutely hate if that were the case! Good to know that if I persevere on the pumping that I will eventually be able to express more at a time!!! I hear your also have to make sure to eat a lot. That is wonderful that you breastfed for 15 months! I would also like to breastfeed for a couple extra months past the year...but they wouldn't be frequent feedings since I would be back to work already. How often were you breastfeeding when you went back to work? What line of work do you do? I can see how you would miss a lot in the middle of the week. That's the thing... It is hard to have it both ways and focus on your career AND your children...but I think small sacrifices to your career are so worth it so that you have more time to enjoy your little ones!

Did your OPK actually have a line as dark as the control, or just a line? I generally get a faint line for a few days before I get my positive, so maybe your body is doing a slow build-up.

That must be so hard for your dad. :hugs: I am glad the funeral was at least a nice proper remembrance of the great man he was!

Sounds like you've had a nice day so far! It is bitterly cold here, but it definitely has been sunnier lately too which gives me hope that spring is around the corner!

I must go do a bit of cleaning before my friend comes over! I have really slacked since getting pregnant....I hadn't filed any of my bills/paperwork since I was 5 weeks! :haha: Enjoy relaxing with that bottle of wine! Mmm!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->