March BFP's sharing the first weeks together!

I guess I'll probably be the last of us to know what baby is. At least SEVEN weeks!!! Ugh. The only thing holding me up is the fact that we're house hunting and DS2 has baseball. Maybe with all of that the time will pass faster.

I guess I'll probably be the last of us to know what baby is. At least SEVEN weeks!!! Ugh. The only thing holding me up is the fact that we're house hunting and DS2 has baseball. Maybe with all of that the time will pass faster.

I don't have an ultrasound planned yet, but it will be around 20 weeks, so we will find out pretty close together. Seems like forever away!

Hi all sorry I havent posted much. Our 1st trimester screening did not come back as well as we hoped. We went from being on cloud 9 during the ultrasound scan where they said everything looked perfect and it looked like another baby girl, to back down to earth with a bang when the dr called and said my blood results showed that the baby has a 1:20 chance of chromosomal abnormalities. We have an amnio booked for next friday and should get preliminary results the following Monday.

Sure does seem like forever, elt!

steph, sorry to hear that. Will be thinking of you.

Hi all sorry I havent posted much. Our 1st trimester screening did not come back as well as we hoped. We went from being on cloud 9 during the ultrasound scan where they said everything looked perfect and it looked like another baby girl, to back down to earth with a bang when the dr called and said my blood results showed that the baby has a 1:20 chance of chromosomal abnormalities. We have an amnio booked for next friday and should get preliminary results the following Monday.

Sorry to hear that. I was reading on another post where a woman was given those odds and her child was born with food allergies and ADHD. A few months back, my co-worker told me that his SIL was told that she was going to have a baby with Downs, and the baby never had it and is doing perfectly fine. Just keep the faith. I had my scan last week and the technician wouldn't give me any info, he wouldn't even let me look at the screen while he did the nuchal scan ultrasound. I was so nervous. He just kept saying that my Doc will look at the pictures and will notify me if something is wrong. Luckily I saw the nuchal fold measurements and I looked it up online, and they appear to be normal. But my blood results haven't came back yet. All this waiting can be stressful. Grrr

ladies, congrats for all the :bfp:!!! baby dust to all, I wanted to say that there are some blood tests that can be done in lieu of amnio that also give the gender, and greatly reduce the risk of amnio should you not really need it!

They are called the harmony, maternit21 and the verinata . for those without health insurance, they can be done at a greatly reduced cost. If you google the bnb site, you will find others who have done them. the test can be done at early as 10 weeks.

hope this helps someone.

mama.luv, your story reminded me about a friend I'd forgotten had a high positive on the AFP test. I'm not sure what blood test you had, steph, but if it was the AFP, they often have false positives.

mama.luv, your story reminded me about a friend I'd forgotten had a high positive on the AFP test. I'm not sure what blood test you had, steph, but if it was the AFP, they often have false positives.

I am one who had a false positive high AFP as well! Quite emotionally draining. At 46, my downs risk is 1 in 10000, and I wasn't expecting neural tube defects, given I take 5 mg, not mcg! of Folic Acid daily. Long story short afp testing has a 75% false positive rate, and many places are eliminating the test in women over 35 and going straight to ultrasound screening. All the best!

Thanks everyone. They said my hcg is 5MoM (5x the normal), and my papp-a is 0.63 MoM (should be 1 MoM). I had a high hcg last pregnancy at 2.88MoM (so nearly 3x normal) but did not come up high risk because my papp-a was higher. I am hoping maybe my body just produces a crazy amount of hcg andmy slightly low papp-a is nothing to worry about. I have been googling like crazy and have women with the same blood results who had healthy babies, and others who didnt so i just have to wait it out.

I was offered the blood test to test for abnormalities for $1400 but its 99% accurate not 100%, and i felt i needed to know 100%. The centre i'm having the amnio done at is the best in australia and they havent had a fetal death from the amnio in 17 years so I feel I am in good hands.

I just wish I could know now. I felt the first baby flutters this week, but cant enjoy it because I dont want to get too attached to this baby in case something happens :( Its all i think about, even when I'm asleep I have dreams/nightmares.

I understand that this testing is something that a lot of people get done and something that is important for them to know, but in most cases, like the others said, everything turns out fine. Good luck with all the testing involved and sorry you have to go through all of that during what should be one of the best times of your life!

No judgement or offense to anyone else:
For me though...I refused any testing for abnormalities because the results aren't very accurate and although it would be extremely difficult to have a special needs child, it would not change my mind what so ever about having or raising this baby. I work with special needs individuals, so I suppose I would be more prepared than most for that if it were the case. So, I guess for me, I didn't really feel the need to possibly stress myself out for something that in the end, doesn't really make a difference to us anyhow.

Steph, I wish you could know today!! Yes, it's got to be emotionally draining. I would respond just how you are. I would want to know, too. Not that it would change my mind (like elt said), but I would want to be prepared. Thinking of you, chick, and praying all is well.

I understand that this testing is something that a lot of people get done and something that is important for them to know, but in most cases, like the others said, everything turns out fine. Good luck with all the testing involved and sorry you have to go through all of that during what should be one of the best times of your life!

No judgement or offense to anyone else:
For me though...I refused any testing for abnormalities because the results aren't very accurate and although it would be extremely difficult to have a special needs child, it would not change my mind what so ever about having or raising this baby. I work with special needs individuals, so I suppose I would be more prepared than most for that if it were the case. So, I guess for me, I didn't really feel the need to possibly stress myself out for something that in the end, doesn't really make a difference to us anyhow.

Elt, I. Commend you!! I felt the same as you ..my son has ADHD/autistic spectrum, and I would not have terminated if i 'knew' he was not perfect.... He is perfect to me! And with ths one, we have/had no intentions the same. Even, I had a huge discussion with dh to decide what we would or wouldn't do, testing wise before the questions came up with the doc.

Unfortunately, it didn't go as I had planned, and the doc kept pushing Amnio, I drew my line there, and felt I conceded by doing her triple/quad screen and ultrasounds. In the end, we were blessed, but I do think at times unless you stick to yOur guns, docs are pushy and want to protect their arses from lawsuit etc... Anyway I pray for th OP it all works out in the end to the best!!

But the lesson learned here and why I share, is that you need to be decisive in what you want for your baby, and not be pressured into things you don't want, at any cost! :thumbup:

Steph - I'm so sorry to hear that, I'm sure you're on the emotional rollercoaster of a lifetime - 1:20 is a daunting risk, but keep the faith, it is not 100%.. please stay positive in this time of stress :flower:

AFM i'm doing okay, rough weekend. How many wks does your dr usually scheudle gender scan. We will have one at 15 wks what are our chances of finding out??

If it's a boy you might be able to tell at 15 weeks but I wouldn't trust a girl guess that early personally...

My husband convinced me to get a puppy. We've had her for just over 2 weeks and it is soooo stressful! :-( ugh!!

Hope you ladies are all doing well.
X

Thanks all, its been a stressful week! The amnio is tomorrow, i am scared but for me its the right thing. I need to know to get prepared in case its a defect that is compatible with life like downs or turners. But on the list of possibles is also triploidy, which unfortunately is not compatible with life.

Berniegroves, i remember when we got our puppy it was mayhem! Chewed furniture and poo everywhere! They do learn quick though :)

Thanks all, its been a stressful week! The amnio is tomorrow, i am scared but for me its the right thing. I need to know to get prepared in case its a defect that is compatible with life like downs or turners. But on the list of possibles is also triploidy, which unfortunately is not compatible with life.

Berniegroves, i remember when we got our puppy it was mayhem! Chewed furniture and poo everywhere! They do learn quick though :)

Will be thinking of you tomorrow, steph! Try to relax and get some good rest tonight. :hugs:

Actually, people have found out the gender as early as 12 weeks with ultrasound! Sounds pretty crazy, but if you research it online, it doesn't seem to be as uncommon as you would think. There are also you tube videos of some of these incidents. I'm sure the ultrasound tech has to be SUPER experienced though! And it obviously wouldn't be as certain as like 20 weeks, but even these early predictions seem to have been pretty accurate.

afm- ultrasound for me tmrw because they couldn't find the heartbeat on doppler yesterday at the OB office. I'm not too worried as I have already heard the heartbeat (last Friday) and know this baby is very active and hard to track down in there. It's kind of nice to be getting a scan since I wasn't supposed to until 20 weeks.

Anyone feeling any movements yet? I think I may have for the first time today.

If it's a boy you might be able to tell at 15 weeks but I wouldn't trust a girl guess that early personally...

Yes thats true - Are you going to do 3d/4d scan?

No, I'm getting a private scan but it will be 2d just to check gender. The 3d/4d are way more expensive and we are trying to save money so the 2d is good enough for us! :) 19 more days!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->