Metformin & PCOS

Hi guys

Would really appreciate some advice. I posted on this thread a few months ago and basically I was asking if I should be on metformin considering I have PCOS. I was encouraged to get it so I emailed the hospital and they kept putting me off until out of the blue they scheduled an appointment for me with the consultant.

So my appointment was back in January and the consultant told me that metformin was considered a wonder drug for PCOS but recent studies show that it has a very negligible effect actually and it's probably not worth taking but if I felt it does me some good I could carry on taking it! Bit confusing if you ask me lol.

Anyway my supply ran out a few weeks ago and I kept asking the hospital for a prescription but the nurses just keep telling me they've put my request in my notes and the Doctor will look at them! Well he hasn't so far.

To be honest I'm not really pursuing it as when I was on metformin I didn't really notice any changes in my condition or weight loss so maybe in my case it doesn't really help but maybe I should be pursuing Initosol (sic) sorry no idea how to spell that. I just feel like my hospital is so rubbish at answering questions I feel like I'm badgering them.

Just confused to be honest
So really I have

Mrs AM, I'm on Metformin and I have PCOS but I'm not insulin-resistant. I've been on it since December but haven't really had any difference, I'm still not o'ing on my own. My doctor wants me to stay on it through my IVF cycle though, she said it will still help with regulating the balance of hormones. I don't have any experience with the other drug, though, sorry!

Congrats on a boy JL! SO happy for you!!

Hippie - I'm the same, I just NEED to know the gender! Two weeks today til my 16 week gender scan and it's honestly dragging in!

Markswife - Glad you enjoyed your scan, it is just amazing isn't it! You hoping for a certain gender? :)

Mrs AM - I was on metformin when I got pregnant and it honestly took me months to see any changes at all, and from what I've read some people can see changes straight away while others take such a long time

Definitely do research on inositol. It really does help many women with PCOS.

Hi everyone!

Sorry that I have been off the radar for so long. Was on a 3 week long trip last month with family and then I was preoccupied with my daughter's school opening. She just began kindergarden.

So the good news is, I got a +ve HPT test while on my trip :happydance:.
Went in for a preliminary scan last week, will need to go for a more detailed one next month during my 12th week.

My doctor has asked me to stop Metformin as I am having really bad nausea. Do you guys think its normal to stop the drug?

Happy to know that all other pregnancies here are doing well. Congrats on your gender scan JL!

thank you Bunny! <3 It is the most amazing thing!!! We are HOPING for a girl, but will be thrilled with either :)

Hi everyone!

Sorry that I have been off the radar for so long. Was on a 3 week long trip last month with family and then I was preoccupied with my daughter's school opening. She just began kindergarden.

Went in for a preliminary scan last week, will need to go for a more detailed one next month during my 12th week.

My doctor has asked me to stop Metformin as I am having really bad nausea. Do you guys think its normal to stop the drug?

Happy to know that all other pregnancies here are doing well. Congrats on your gender scan JL!

How far along are you? I know my OB DIDN'T want me to stop my Metformin in the 1st trimester because the risk of miscarriage increases when you have PCOS. I don't know how true that is, but I didn't stop mine and I still won't. I feel Metformin is helping me with my IR and keeping me in check. Why stop something that's working right? I doubled check and they said I could take Metformin throughout my pregnancy, it won't hurt the baby.

Maybe the nausea is morning sickness? I know I felt ill a lot in my first tri, but it wasn't the medicine - it was baby:thumbup:

I didn't stop the Metformin until 12 weeks either lichongchai. My OB wanted me on it until 12 weeks. She told me it decreases the risk of miscarriage in ladies with PCOS, which is why she wanted me on it until 12 weeks :)

I also agree that the nausea is probably morning sickness. I had a ton of it starting at 6 weeks. I still get it off and on, but not as bad as it was.

Congrats lichongchai!!! :happydance: My doc was the same as the other ladies - she wanted me to stay on the met until the end of my first trimester to reduce the chance of miscarriage. Happy and healthy nine months to you!!

Hi everyone!

How far along are you? I know my OB DIDN'T want me to stop my Metformin in the 1st trimester because the risk of miscarriage increases when you have PCOS. I don't know how true that is, but I didn't stop mine and I still won't. I feel Metformin is helping me with my IR and keeping me in check. Why stop something that's working right? I doubled check and they said I could take Metformin throughout my pregnancy, it won't hurt the baby.

Maybe the nausea is morning sickness? I know I felt ill a lot in my first tri, but it wasn't the medicine - it was baby:thumbup:

I have completed 8 weeks. I stopped taking it last week, so the nausea is not that extreme as it used to be; but it is still very much there. Also a lot of heartburn.

Congrats Lichongchai!! My GP told me to come off metformin when I phoned to tell them I was pregnant and my midwife confirmed this. They told me there hasn't been enough studies on it yet and I must admit I was nervous about coming off it as I had read it does decrease the changes of miscarriage. But here I am at 15 weeks :) To be honest I am quite glad I came off it because most of my pcos symptoms have disappeared. I think being pregnant has leveled everything out! :haha: I've lost more weight now than I did on metformin :haha:

Congrats Lichongchai!! My GP told me to come off metformin when I phoned to tell them I was pregnant and my midwife confirmed this. They told me there hasn't been enough studies on it yet and I must admit I was nervous about coming off it as I had read it does decrease the changes of miscarriage. But here I am at 15 weeks :) To be honest I am quite glad I came off it because most of my pcos symptoms have disappeared. I think being pregnant has leveled everything out! :haha: I've lost more weight now than I did on metformin :haha:

Thanks BunnyBoo! My GP had said the same thing.

This thread has become too quiet!!!

Sorry guys for not writing for so long... The nausea, MS and fatigue have really pulled me down.

How is everyone doing?

Hope you feel better soon lichongchai!

I've been feeling better the past week so hoping I'll get my energy back for a wee while :haha:

Had my private 16 week gender scan on sunday there, I'm having a boy :D

Hope everyone is okay :)

Hope you feel better soon lichongchai.

Congrats on your boy Bunny. That is so exciting you got to find out early!

Afm, I am still waiting on af to show up. Her last appearance was May 3rd. I am honestly feeling really defeated and giving ttc a break. Hubby was laid off in April and just found work and I am now looking for a different job because the district I am working for cut my position to .8 and we are required to take 14 furlough days. On top of the stress of my semester starting in a few weeks, I just don't think ttc is a good idea.

Hope you feel better soon lichongchai!

I've been feeling better the past week so hoping I'll get my energy back for a wee while :haha:

Had my private 16 week gender scan on sunday there, I'm having a boy :D

Hope everyone is okay :)

Congrats Bunny! That's amazing you got to find out so early!! I was thinking of doing a private scan here, but I'm going in for my appointment at 18 weeks and this OB I like, so maybe i can try to get an ultrasound done and maybe find out the gender. If not I will wait it out. I hate to spend almost $100.00 to find out in a few weeks for free through my insurance. I keep calling our LO a boy. I don't know why, just feels like it when I try to listen to his heartbeat on the fetal doppler I bought, he's on the move. I also think it could be because he doesn't want to sit still and my DH has ADD and is always moving and keeping busy, lol:haha: Will see in a few weeks.

As for me, I'm tired all the time still. This heat isn't helping either and i drink a lot of water and want to nap. I keep getting more pulling sensation and sometimes if i lay right some popping movement feeling, but no kicking yet - too early. I cant wait for that part to come :)

Congrats, bunny!

I'm in the middle of my IVF cycle, my ER is tomorrow morning.

Congrats to all the BFPs! I haven't posted in while, things have been crazy. Anyways I did another gonal-f cycle. Had my IUI on June 28th. Took HPT this morning and it was positive :) Going for beta tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->