Metformin & PCOS

Hi kay! Welcome :hugs: I'm so sorry to hear about your losses :( did your doctor start you right on 2000mg? Or did they work you up to it? I'm only on 1000mg, but I started on 500mg to make it easier on my tummy. The meds to induce AF that Meli mentioned, I took Provera to get AF. But there's also something called Prometrium that can bring AF too. I'm sorry you're having tummy troubles :hugs: I hope it gets better soon!

Hi Kay:hi:
i too am sorry to hear about all your losses. I was in the same boat as you with no AF for years. I bet if I never took BCP - I would never get one. I did finally get mine since having nothing from Nov 2011. It took 50 days on the Metformin and losing 20lbs, but she came. I have an ob/gyn appt tomorrow to be checked and see what can be done for me. Sending lots of :dust: your way :)

baby - oh man problems with ob? :\ I've heard she's very nice and understanding and helpful, but i'm still nervous. At least AF is getting lighter today, but tomorrow I should be good to go:thumbup:

Ughhh, too many to count! Sooo glad I don't have to deal with them loony toons again! Yay! I'm glad AF is slowing down! You definitely got lucky hahaha. Yeah, thats understandable. I think it'll all workout just fine :) I hope so anyways!!

Out of curiosity also, do any of you ladies get SUPER hungry around time of O? I noticed it last year when I was on Clomid that around the time I was supposed to O, I would get super super SUPER hungry and eat everything. And last night/ this morning has been that way for me (I should O sometime between tomorrow & next Monday). Its totally weird because for the last week and a half on the Met I haven't been hungry at all, and now I can't get enough food ahaha. Ughh, hormones!

I got that way last month. I was eating everything I could find.

It seems like I remember having the same issue when I took Clomid for a short time last year. I just cannot eat enough!! Hope thats a good sign that I'm going to O!

Hi,
My names Julie we have been ttc for 2 yrs and going through fertility treatment for 1 yr, I have Epilepsy and pcos, I have been on metformin for 10 months 1500 a day, I find I still have a bit of a dodgey tummy sometimes but well worth it I have list a stone and a half :) now that insulin is working properly.
I had 5 rounds of clomid with no effect and 2 cycles of gonal f, which only have me very small follicles I then had ovarian drilling and have had another cycle of gonal f which has given me 2 large eggs, took my booster shot tonight to make me ovulate do fingers crossed. I think it's just finding the tailored concoction for each person x

Hi Julie! Congrats on the weightloss! Thats fantastic!! I agree, everyone is defferent so it takes different things to get us all to where we want to be :D Good luck catching one of them eggs!!

Well ladies, I decided to add one more thing to my ttc regimen lol. I've noticed my cm is really thick and so I've decided to try a little robitussin for the next few days to thin my cm. That way if I do O, having hostile cm wont be an issue for us. Fx'd it helps!

Hello everyone, I'm Karyn and I have been ttc for a year now. I have three daughters that are 13, 8, and 5. Last September I had my IUD removed because we wanted to have another child. We'd love a son but at this point, I just want a healthy baby. In the past, I never had trouble getting pregnant. In fact, I never had to try. It happened the first time I considered it each time. This time has been completely different. After the IUD was removed, we started trying and expected it that it would be easy. I started opk's in November and in January I had a positive pregnancy test. I was so happy! Then about two weeks later, I started bleeding. The doctor said it was an early miscarriage and I could try again as soon as I wanted. The problem was that after the miscarriage, my period never came back.... It was April before AF showed up again. We still BD'd but had no idea if I was even ovulating. It was July before AF came by again and on that cycle I started clomid as well as metformin. My cycles have now been coming about every 30 days which is a great improvement and I'm hopeful that this tww will end with a positive pregnancy test. Fx'd and :dust: to all of you!

Hi to all of our new girlies! It is nice to have you here.

I am excited for my appt. tomorrow. I am still having a lot of pain and still no O as of today. I am ready to get in and see what is causing this. I have been super emotional (I think I mentioned that earlier). To the point where I spent a half hour crying yesterday. It has been awful. Since I am only on the metformin, I am assuming my hormones are fluctuating and causing this.

Hi Ladies,

Well todays the day for my appointment and I'm nervous as hell! My mother offered to go with me because she had the HARDEST time TTC and they signed up for adoption years before and finally the agent called and I was adopted :) My mom said she had everything done and thought it would be good for her to come for support. She felt horrible that I have to go through this as well. Though we may not be related by blood, we both have issues with TTC though she doesn't have PCOS. I'm really hoping something can be done. My cycle for AF is very light today so I'm hoping maybe something else can be added with Metformin and make something happen this cycle :) I'm really hoping for a bfp before Christmas n.n

I hope everyone else is doing well. :hugs: & :hi: to all the new ladies on the thread :]

Hi karyn! Welcome to the thread :hugs:

Krissie, I can't believe you're still having pains! Hopefully they'll know exactly what it is tomorrow and get it stopped :hugs: Can't wait to hear how it goes tomorrow, I'm so excited for you and hippie!

Hippie, don't forget to update us after the appointment!! Thats great that your Mom is going along! I wouldn't want my mother there, :haha: she wouldn't understand any of what the doctor was telling her and the appointment would last hours. :dohh: It's also nice to have someone so close to you that knows what you are going through. NO ONE around me gets it, so its hard at times. Thank God for my BNB ladies! I think my mother has PCOS also, but she never really worried about it. She has regular cycles, and just started gaining weight in her tummy a few years ago. But her and my step dad were always unprotected according to her, and I'm an only child. So I think she has a milder case of PCOS and doesn't ovulate on her own. :shrug: I'm no doctor, but thats my guess.Obviously she O'd atleast once because I'm here lol. She has a lot of the other things I have like skin tags, dark patches of skin, oily skin on face, and now extra weight in her belly. She didn't want any kids at all, so I guess thats why they never tried to find out why she couldnt have more lol

Well, the robitussin worked wonderfully. I was actually SOOO surprised how quickly it worked. I took half the reccomended dose, and by two hours later my cm was a lot and thinner. So of course me and hubbs dtd. Who knows if I've O'd because I haven't done any OPK's, havent had any O pains :shrug: But atleast with friendlier cm we'll hopefully have a better chance. I'm going to continue taking it through Tuesday, and we'll keep dtd :blush: I'm still hungrier today than normal, but nothing like yesterday. So I'm thinking I'm probably going to O today. Hubbs' little swimmers are in there if I do, so we're ready :haha: Anyways, hope everyone's appointments go well!! :hugs:

I had no idea robitussin was so helpful for cm. I had heard about it but really never looked into it. As of right now my cm is better than it has ever been, so I am hoping if I do O it will stay that way. As extra precaution we have some preseed that I plan to use.

I am not sure what is up with my pains. They are a lot less than they originally were. But now both sides are hurting. At any rate, I am just excited to see the doctor and get this stuff sorted out.

Yeah, I had heard about it in the past too but never checked into it since I have cm throughout my entire cycle. But I know Clomid has a big effect on cm in some women, and I should be seeing more as I'm close to O, and I haven't. So I'm just taking it as an extra precaution :) I plan on getting preseed for next cycle if it doesn't happen for us this cycle.

Alrighty ladies,

Here is the update! My DH went instead of my mother and the place was SUPER NICE! They did everything and the gyn said were upping the Metformin:thumbup: So I now take 1000mg ER both pills at dinner time and start today! She asked if I was ever under 200lbs and I said I was last year. So continue losing weight and eating right and she said most woman's cycles become more normal when losing. She never once said I was a lost cause because of my weight, just losing helps a lot :) So I'm going to take Metformin 1000mg for 3 months and come back. They want to see how my cycles look and will test to see if I O'd. If I'm not O'ing then Clomid will be added. So here's to hoping the next 3 months something happens! I will be buying internet cheapie test strips for OPK and will start charting EVERYTHING! CM, OPK, signs - everything! I can't wait to start! She gave me so much hope! And said even though I had cysts on my ovaries, they were normal and shouldn't effect me! I'm soooo happy! :D

Oh hippie I am so happy your appointment was so awesome. I am currently on 1000 mg er in the evening. I have really liked that amount and it seems to be working for me.

Thanks Krissie! I really hope 1000mg will help :) I was so happy to hear her say she was going to up it! I was like :happydance: -woot woot- :happydance:

Thanks so much for the warm welcome
And hi to jukes and karyn :thumbup:

Baby I gradually got put on metaformin from 500g per day to 2,000 in a course of a month but I will put up with them if it helps lower my insulin and helps me ovulate, I have read so many posts and I can't understand how my doctor won't put me on clomid yet :( we have been ttc for over 2 years, I have an appointment on the 31st so hoping that she will put me on it then, I will ask here why not if she dosent!, we have to pay for our treatment here as fertility issues are not covered so I hope that she will do it as we are paying her for it :)

My husband isn't getting any younger and I would like a couple more kids but ,y times running out :(

Hi Swiss:hi:

Sorry to hear the doctors are giving you a hard time. I know when I asked about Clomid with my primary doctor, they said they can't prescribe that - only a gyn. Are you seeing a gyn? I went to my appointment yesterday and due to my insurance not covering fertility treatment, there's only so much they can do. I know if Metformin at 1000mg isn't getting me to ovulate, then clomid will be added after 3 months. I'm sure if you express how you want to try it, they should do something for you. Maybe get a second opinion? I wish you all the luck though:hugs:

Baby & Krissie - I heard about Robitussin and tried it when I had no clue what I was doing before knowing it was PCOS (so it didn't help me) If you try it, it has to be the one with the ingredient guaifenesin, not the cold kind. They do sell it, but it tastes HORRIBLE! I gagged all the time because of the taste. I'm not bothering with it this cycle. I'm sticking with preseed still:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->