Metformin & PCOS

Hmm interesting....guess I've gotta just see what happens.

Things have gotten progressively worse throughout the day. I think some of it is the Provera - uterine cramps and also upper leg cramps. I went to go work out on the elliptical to ease the discomfort and it helped but the cramps have returned since I'm done working out.

The Metformin is also having an effect. I've hardly been hungry all day and I've also had two bouts of diarrhea (sorry TMI)....now my tummy is rumbling all around on top of all the cramps.

UGH!!

Rudolf - I'm like Baby - only get cramps up until af begins, and then all the other usual symptoms kick in as well (back ache, bloating, etc). Also, my doc told me that it's not unusual to start af before you're done the provera (it hasn't happened to me yet - af usually comes within 24 hours of my last pill - but my doc says it's different for everyone) and that if I do get af that I should stop taking the provera once I have a steady flow. What dosage are you on?

As for the side effects with the met - I had stomach problems as well - particularly on days when I increased my dose - but they usually only lasted a few days. Hopefully yours will go away soon!!

Hippie - Yay!! It sounds like you're about to O :thumbup: Fx you get your temp shift soon!!

hello ladies... I was wondering if metformin is always prescribed.. or is their other things?

I'm asking because my mum takes it for type 2 diabetes and we call them torpedoes! they are massive and I choke on pills! Even pain killers!

Rudolf - I'm like Baby - only get cramps up until af begins, and then all the other usual symptoms kick in as well (back ache, bloating, etc). Also, my doc told me that it's not unusual to start af before you're done the provera (it hasn't happened to me yet - af usually comes within 24 hours of my last pill - but my doc says it's different for everyone) and that if I do get af that I should stop taking the provera once I have a steady flow. What dosage are you on?

As for the side effects with the met - I had stomach problems as well - particularly on days when I increased my dose - but they usually only lasted a few days. Hopefully yours will go away soon!!

Hippie - Yay!! It sounds like you're about to O :thumbup: Fx you get your temp shift soon!!

Thanks!! I'm on 10mgs of the Provera. My RE didn't mention that if AF does arrive to stop taking it - so if it does show up I'll give the office a call and see if he wants me to stop it - it would make sense to stop of course.

Thanks for the info about Met as well....today there was no increase in dosage...the only thing I can possibly think of is that I had a few more carbs in the morning than I normally do :shrug:

Yeah I've heard that increased carbs can do that, but I've never really experienced it - Fx you'll feel better soon and the symptoms won't last long!!

IDI - There were a couple ladies on here who were taking the birth control pill to treat their PCOS - from what I understand, it's supposed to be pretty effective as long as you're not actively ttc. As for the met, I wonder if they come in different sizes depending onthe type (immediate or slow release) or brand name? I'm on the immediate release and they aren't very big at all.

@JL1363 - yup I've been on the pills 3 years for it c: and works wonders! My friend actually had her 1st period on them in over 5 years and had her little girl! very lucky lady she is x My doctor says I have 'signs' of ovulation because I get the stabbing pain in the bottom or something, I only found out cause I asked about why that pain had gone on the medication. So maybe I'll be put on metformin or not.. I won't know yet... but thank you very much! I didn't know they came in different sizes! I feel alot better about it now x

hello ladies... I was wondering if metformin is always prescribed.. or is their other things?

I'm asking because my mum takes it for type 2 diabetes and we call them torpedoes! they are massive and I choke on pills! Even pain killers!

I know the ER version are smaller. Also, target switched who made them and the pills are really small. About the size of two baby aspirin.

Outside of that I do know they make other meds for insulin resistance, but I don't believe they have the same impact on ovulation/fertility.

Rudolf, its not uncommon to have an upset tummy from time to time with the Metformin. I had it more often when I first started, now its very rare I get an upset stomach.

I'm also taking 10mg of Provera, my doctor wants me to take it for 7 days. Last month I took it for 4 days and got AF right after I stopped taking it. But when I take provera I get the worst cramps and pms ever, so this time I'm taking even less lol. I don't really go by the rules so to speak.. :shrug:

For those having tummy issues with the Metformin, make sure you take it after you have food in your stomach...it will help! I'm on the extend release because I couldn't tolerate the side effects, & since I switched I've had no side effects.

I had my progesterone tested on Monday...confirmed that I did ovulate...that makes 3 cycles in a row!! We aren't trying this month due to me needing surgery by the end of the year, but I will continue to take the femera just to keep things regulated. Hope to keep this trend alive! :)

Well the witch is finally on her way for me! I'm on CD38 and had some light pink spotting today, which was almost heavy enough to consider it a light flow but not quite. If it gets heavier I'll consider today CD1, if not I'll consider tomorrow CD1. Also, got some good news from hubbs. He's decided to go camping for only 2 days instead of the whole week, so on Thanksgiving night he'll be coming home with me. Soooo, we can still try this month! :happydance: Depending on when I ovulate, our chances may be a little slimmer, but we can still try! I'm so over the top excited I can't even say enough how excited I am! I was so bummed for so many days. Anyways, how is everyone doing?

Yay Baby!! I'm so happy for you that dh is gonna be home!! :happydance: I'm sorry about the evil witch this month, but at least now you can start a new cycle and have dh home during O time!! :thumbup:

As for me, I'm three days into provera and have some cramping but that's about it. The spotting that I had earlier ended up stopping later that same day and hasn't come back. I'm not super worried though, in the past af normally shows about 24hrs after stopping provera, so I'm assuming this time will be the same.

Thanks JL! I'm super excited! Well, the witch held off for today with just spotting all day, so I'm guessing it'll be a flow tomorrow. I usually have a day of spotting before AF, so nothing abnormal. That's how AF is with me when I take Provera too. It comes anywhere from 1-3 days after I take it. I only took one 10mg pill this time because it seemed like af was trying to come, and it seems to have worked. Atleast I hope so anyways because I hate taking provera!

hey all had my first round of clomid ovulated woot woot on 31st oct then on the sun 3rd nov had 2 days of bleeding but looked like rust like really light panty liner only (not quite sure why ) waiting one more week till testing i cant wait period due 16th nov hoping for a BFP for christmas

bit of info
23 trying for 2 and a bit years
pcos and 2000 mg metformin
first time on clomid taken 2nd day of period for 5 dAYS
tips healpfull hints ALWAYS welcome :O)

Hi everyone,

Well I'm 4DPO, but I'm VERY bummed because on CD26 (Nov 7) I didn't do any OPK testing and that's the missing piece to make my crosschecking a solid line. I ALSO only BD on CD 23 and according to FF CD 26 I O'd most likely then and then I BD CD 27 & 28 *ugh* So FF said my score looks low. Just my luck.

Oh well guess I can wait and see, though I think I missed it.

Puppies are doing great. Tomorrow they go to the vet to get their tails docked and dew claws removed. I already picked mine. She's a black tri and her name is Mealla which is Irish for Lightning because she has a bolt that comes down her back like Zeus.

Aweee hippie, sorry your chances look slim! Fingers crossed for you!!

Hippie, if your OPK truly was positive, with EWCM on CD 27, then my guess is that you actually Od on CD 28, by your temps and the way your CM dried up. I guess you will only know for sure once you see how long your LP is this month.

Hippie, if your OPK truly was positive, with EWCM on CD 27, then my guess is that you actually Od on CD 28, by your temps and the way your CM dried up. I guess you will only know for sure once you see how long your LP is this month.

You think? This is my 2nd month temping and charting and whatever FF tells me I go by. Maybe I'll get lucky because once I saw EWCM & +OPK I BD that night and the next day. The only reason I don't have a temp is because I thought our dog was going to have her puppies so I was up half the night and had little sleep. Then when she didn't have them by 5am I went to sleep and didn't wake up til 11am so I didn't bother. I guess I can only wait and see. Though we have puppies so I'm not bumming too much :)

Thanks baby as well:hugs:

Puppies are always a lot of fun! I do think that, as you had negative OPKs up until then, and generally you don't O on the day you get a positive. As well, you usually do not have EWCM after O, so I truly think you are still in!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->