Metformin & PCOS

Thanks ladies! It helps talking to people who have experience with PCOS, because at this point in time I dont have much faith in doctors.

Is it true that you should go on a specific diet for PCOS? Is it like a low GI diet? Or a diabetic diet? Sorry if my qu sound stoopid - Im really new to this pcos-thing...... :dohh:

Mini, I dont think there's any special diet that you have to go on. I'm not on any special diet, but I know someone who only eats gluten free & low carb foods. It just really depends on you

Hippie - I'm sorry the witch got you hun, but I'm glad to hear about your cycle becoming shorter! :thumbup: I'm waiting on my ob to give me the ok for clomid as well cuz even with the met, my body doesn't seem to want to O on it's own. Fx that you won't have to use clomid and that this cycle will be your lucky one!!

Mini - I'm not on a specific diet either, I mostly just try to make healthy choices because I have a bit of weight I'd like to lose (which my doc tells me should also help reduce my pcos symptoms). I pay special attention to my carb intake specifically, but that's more because I found that my stomach will sometimes become upset when I eat simple carbs (ie: sugar foods, white bread, etc) while taking the metformin.

As for me - I had an ultrasound today to check my ovaries to make sure that I don't have any large cysts that might be preventing O (other than the smaller ones from the pcos) and they seem to be all clear :thumbup: I'm feeling a bit disappointed tho cuz my doc (RE) won't start me back on clomid until i do a full month of cycle monitoring (by ultrasound) at his clinic - which is basically ultrasounds done everyday from cd10-16 to see how / if my follicles are developing to O.... the problem with this is that dh and I are going away for our wedding anniversary for 4 days.... which happens to fall on cd11-15 - right in the middle of when I need the scans done, so my doc has cancelled doing this until my next cycle, basically meaning this cycle is a complete waste :cry: I feel so conflicted, cuz I'm really excited for our anniversary (we haven't been away together in soooo long), but I'm so damn impatient and don't wanna wait ANOTHER month to start the clomid! :dohh:

Oh! and Happy belated Thanksgiving to all the American ladies!! :D :flower:

:hugs: JL so sorry to hear the RE wont just give you the clomid!! Maybe you'll O on your own this month! Its possible!! Wouldnt that be so sweet to conceive on your anniversary :D

Baby - that really would be amazing! I'm feeling a bit better about the whole thing now that I've had a bit to think about it. I really am excited to go away with dh, so I know that I'll enjoy myself either way :) I'm also hoping that you're right and that my body will pull itself together on it's own - I only started the met last month, so it could still happen. How long were you on the met before you started to notice changes in your cycle / how long did you take it before starting clomid?

I have been on met for nearly three months now and have already noticed changes. My cycle has gone from 36 days to 32 and then 28. My luteal phase is still ten days though :-(

I'm on 1000mg daily. Have just switched to modified release because the normal stuff was giving me tummy from hell

JL, I started the Metformin on Sept 18th, 2012. Ten days later I switched OBGYN's & he gave me Provera to induce a period which began Oct 4th. I noticed changes from the Metformin right away. My appetite got smaller, like non existant. Weightloss without doing anything. & 35 days after my cycle on Provera started, I had spotting so I think AF was trying to come on its own which would have been the shortest cycle I've had for as long as I can remember. When I switched OBGYN's, my new doctor said if I wanted to become pregnant right away he would prescribe Clomid with the Metformin. Of course I said I wanted to be pregnant like, yesterday, so he prescribed clomid. He also said if I wasnt pregnant by my follow up appointment, he would up my dose of Clomid. My follow up appointment is tomorrow, & I'm obviously not pregnant sooooo :D I'm going to also ask if he will up my dose of Metformin to 1500mg. Which he was very willing to up my dose from 500mg to 1000mg so we shall see.

Hey ladies- I tested yesterday and of course it was a bfn.

My period has not come and I have had no spotting for a week. I don't know what was going on. I also took an OPK yesterday and it was really dark, but not quite positive. I have been having some pain in my ovary area, so I thought maybe I was trying to O.

Hubby's insurance starts Jan. 1 so we are hoping to get him into the doctor and possibly a referral to the urologist to see if there is something causing low motility.

Hmmm, that is odd krissie. I had spotting a week apart this last cycle. I think AF was trying to start on its own, but I took one provera pill since I was still getting bfn on cd 35.

Hello ladies.

My doc appointment this morning went really well. I'm staying on 50mg of Clomid for the next few months since I did ovulate last month. I go back January 21st for a follow up. I also am being moved up to 1500mg of Metformin daily. My doc was a little surprised that I asked to go up in dose because most of his patients that are on Metformin ask to lower the dose. But since I havent had really any issues with it he said he see's no reason I can't up the dose. Also, I mentioned hubby's SA (the results were supposed to be faxed to his office & I never have gotten the full results). He said that hubbs is a "stud horse" lol. His numbers were perfect across the board, which was a huge relief because thats one less battle for us.

How is everyone else? I'm currently CD16 & not sure if I have O'd or not. I havent been monitoring it so much this mont, I've kinda just let it all take its course. I had some pinching in my left ovary today, & since I O'd on the right last month that makes sense.

Hi Baby, been ages since I was last here!

Glad to see you and your Hubby are doing well, your getting closer and closer to your bfp! Hopefully won't be long now. I'm not having issues with metformin either, think were very lucky by the sounds of other people's experiences.

Does sounds like your Oing, good luck!

Just thought I'd give a wee update. My first af on metformin has started this afternoon :happydance: first one since Jan/Feb time. So happy!

Yay for AF on her own! I'm hoping that since I upped my dose AF will come on her own this month! Or not at all lol

Hopefully not at all, but for a very good reason! Fingers crossed!

hey guys, quick question on metformin, how do i get it perscribed for me, i was on it while i was ttc baby#1 and i got pregnant, but then stopped taking it as the side effects got 2 much for me, but now we r trying for baby #2 i want to get back on it, will my gp at my local docs be abel to perscribe it for me? or will i have to wait endless months for a referal to the assisted conception unit?

I believe a gp can prescribe it, but they can't prescribe stuff like Clomid. Atleast I dont think so lol

Hi ladies,

I know it's been a while since I've been on here. AF ended a many days ago and I'm trying so hard to stay on top of temps. It's been so crazy since my mom having her knee replacement surgery and then the kennel was busy and of course the pups. I've been so out of it:wacko:I feel like I dont have any energy left >.<

Baby - Glad to see your appointment went good:thumbup:

Hope everyone is doing well!

Hey hippie, it has been a while! Sorry to hear you are so exhausted, hopefully you'll get a chance to relax soon! Yeah, I can def understand how a kennel would be busy during the holidays! That would definitely be a downfall to that business lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->