Metformin & PCOS

Krissie - that's great about the ewcm! I'm glad you had good bd timing! :thumbup:

Hi Ladies!

I am new to the bnb I cant help but be happy I found this group.
I know it is weird for some of you to read this but I found comfort knowing that I am not the only one. I was in denial for the longest time and it all caught up with me this past year. I will summarize... I was on the pill... went off the pill (bc i ran out and didn't have a prescription or insurance at the time) and didn't think it was going to be a big deal... result = lost/ breakage of hair, put on 20lbs ( I also quit smoking at the same time) and went nuts with mood swings...
Went back on the pill and got to go to the doc. PCOS ( which I kind of knew but didn't want to deal with). Stop the pill again in September (NTNP) had my last period and then started Metformin ( on my own.. my mom brought me some) and even to taking it right every day AF came dec 1st... went to the doc dec 15th and have been on 500mg Met ever since... Problem is.. i haven't got my AF!
I did have a few drinks for the holidays... do you guys think it might have affected anything? Is it a problem to have a drink while on met? I am not an alcoholic or anything but i do enjoy a beer here or there...

Urrrrrrgh sooooooo lost... I kind of need a buddy! :/ I have never charted in my life bc i never had regular periods... Any suggestions?
Feel free to pull my ears if i am doing something wrong please!

I am open to all suggestions... Right Now i am stocked up on pregnancy tests and planning on buying some ovulation tests from the dollar store.. Read somewhere they do the same job as the other ones...

Mstib- Welcome! It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. I completely understand feeling alone at this. I am the only person I know that has struggled with infertility so it is comforting to get support from these lovely ladies.

I have been on Metformin for almost 4.5 months and I am just now starting to regulate. It takes some time for some people. I am on 1000 mg extended release. (I couldn't take the side effects of the regular stuff). Not only has it completely regulated my blood sugar, but it is starting to regulate my cycles. With my last three being 42 days, 60 days and 27 days. Which isn't very regular but it is a far cry from the 3-6 month cycles I had and my periods are so much lighter.

Annnnnnnd..... I got a near positive opk today!! I am pretty sure if I test in a couple hours it will be positive! I am super duper excited ladies! This is my first postive OPK since October (and only my second one ever!!!). And this one is completely on the Metformin and I am assuming my lower carb diet.

Welcome to the thread Mstib!! I also have crazy irregular cycles that can last up to 60+ days and I haven't ovulated since March of last year. I started the met at the first of October (1500mg immediate release tabs) and didn't really see any changes for the first couple months. Just last week I had an ultrasound and my RE found a follicle that is slowly growing. I'm on cd26, so I'm late into my cycle already, but my doc thinks the follicle is going to mature soon and I'll FINALLY ovulate!! I know it's super hard but try not be discouraged if you're not seeing results from the met yet, sometimes it takes a bit more time - I know having patience is harder said than done tho! As for alcohol, my doc has advised me not to drink because I'm ttc-ing, but earlier on when I knew I wasn't o'ing and there was no chance of bfp, my doc had told me that the occasional drink was fine when taking met. Also, you may wanna check online for cheap ov tests, I get mine super cheap online from a lab in BC, Canada but I'm not sure they ship outside of Canada. Where are you located? Maybe some of the ladies here can recommend a site for you to get some. Lastly, I still chart my bbt even though I have super irregular cycles (check out the link in my signature to see my charts - they're pretty wonky looking), but my doc says it's good to do anyways cuz it can give info about a lot of things going on, for example confirming when / whether you o as well as how long your luteal phase normally is. Good luck! Hopefully things will regulate for you soon. The ladies here are great and are always here to listen :hugs:

Krissie - YAY for your positive opk!! :happydance: That's awesome!! Fx this will be your month!! :D

Afm, I had another scan and bloodwork today and my follie has grown again to 1.6cm and the doc says I had a nice surge in my estrogen levels yesterday (which is good for follie growth) :happydance: The clinic that I'm going to always tells me to come back the next day for a scan and more bloodwork and will call me if "anything changes".... aka my bloodwork comes back showing that my estrogen levels have stopped rising meaning that follie will stop growing. So this afternoon when my clinic called me and when I saw the number all I could think was "aww crap, it's stopped growing" but when I answered the phone the nurse told me that my bloodwork came back and my doc had reviewed it and has advised that I should "have intercourse this evening and come back tomorrow for another scan and bloodwork" :haha: The way she advised me to "have intercourse" so formally cracked me up lol. Either way, I'm super excited cuz I'm assuming it means that the doc is expecting me to o soon!!! Yay for bd time! :haha:

Good luck, jl! My regular Gyn always said "have relations" and for some reason it would crack me up...

LOL, I know! She made it sound so formal I felt like I should call dh and make an appointment or something.

Hi Girls!
Thank you so much for the response. I already like all of you!

I have been trying to be more serious about going to the gym and sticking to my diet.
I used to be very skinny and I put on a lot of weight since I moved to the US. ( I am originally from Brazil)
My hubby and I are very active and that kills me bc I want to be able to do more things and being 30 lbs over my regular weight is not really allowing it. I did lose some weight when I first started met... without even realizing it I lost 7lbs...
I will post here if I see any changes now that I am very serious about it. If not trying I lost 7lbs I want to see how fast I can drop these extra lbs :)

I was also thinking about going to go see my doctor if I don't get my period for the second consecutive month.. Is that too desperate? I heard it is not good to go 2 mo without at least seeing a signs of your period... maybe increase my met since I take 500mg once a day. On that note, I also had some side effects. It lasted for quiet a while but nothing that I could not manage. I have also been taking pre natal pills which I heard is helpful in case you feel dizzy or nauseated. I personally feel lightheaded sometimes but it is not the rule. Overall, MET has not really affected to the point I would say I could not take it anymore or anything like that... Most of the time I feel fine, thank goodness!

As for now I am going to go educate myself in charting and maybe start my own tonight!
This is all so new to me... I feel like I am 5th grader 'googling' about some unknown subject! ( I mean... since my periods were always so all over the place I really never felt the need to chart! and this is really my first time ttc.)

Good night ladies...
It has been awesome to be able to talk so openly about this issue. Thank you all in advance. :)

Mistib - I think it's a good idea to go see your doc if you don't get af for two consecutive months. My RE will usually prescribe provera to kick start a period if my cycle goes to 35 days and my family doc always said to never go over 60 days because it's not good to let your lining build up like that. I'm glad the met seems to be helping with weight loss :thumbup: I (and a lot of other ladies on here) have had a similar experience with it. As for charting, check out www.fertilityfriend.com - they have really informative lessons on how to take / chart your bbt. Hope this helps and :dust: to you :)

Hi girls...I've contacted my doctor about how long my current cycle has been and hopefully I'll get a prescription called in soon for some Provera:thumbup:

Hi Mstib! I hope the Metformin continues to help...if not, maybe the dosage should be slowly increased over the next few weeks up the usual 1,500 mg. Feel free to send me a message if you need a buddy or someone to talk to. I've also been charting for a little over a year and I'd be happy to try to help if you need it:hugs:Charting can be really confusing at first, lol:wacko:

JL, good luck on the growing follie! Great news! I hope my Met. will start working soon so I can ovulate and get my system a little more normal:dohh:

Have a great week everyone

Hmm... so I had two near positives yesterday. And today there was hardly a second line. I am wondering if I was trying to O but didn't quite finish the surge? I don't think I missed my surge. I am going to keep testing and see if I get it later. It is still pretty early in my cycle so it could happen in a couple days.

Question ladies.

Before Metformin I got my period every 36 days but was shown not to be ovulating.

Metformin has made me ovulate for the last six months, and given me very clear ovulation and pre af symptoms. It also shortened my cycle to 31 days. This month I haven't been testing, but I know I haven't ovulated. I also haven't had my af.

I'm definitely not pregnant as we haven't tried this month. We are a lesbian couple so no chance for a whoopsie.

Should I ask my dr to up my Metformin?

Hey ladies. Sorry I've been MIA for a few days. AF STILL hasnt shown. I've had pms & extra cm for a few days but she's still a no show. I wish the witch would just come already so I can get on with the next month of trying. Working at the daycare is killing me. All the babies & kids I deal with every day are really making me want one bad. Ughh. Hope everyone else is doing well!

hi Girls... welcome to newbies <3

don't know how come i be out of this thread :( always when sumone post i got a notification email so i just check thread when free, but lol it was days i didnt got any notification and i thought might me everyone busy, ehhh now i visit and read 3 pages update

so wht are you all upto now....

as for me am just calm , dh is also much busy at work this week so m just counting days on fingers 16 days passed we didnt BD and m not going to say or force dh for this time... as he thinks once in a week is enough so OK ... wt should i can do just be silent so i am :) m on CD9 today

Krissie - I have never been able to get a positive on opk's (even when I was o'ing regularly before my m/c). Even during the cycle where I got my bfp, I had been testing with opk's several times per day and only ever got an almost positive (similar to what you're describing). My doc said it's possible to have a really short surge so it could still be missed even if you test several times per day. Maybe this is what's happening with you :shrug: I think you're making a good choice to keep testing just to be sure, hopefully you'll get answers soon!

Laura - I've heard it's not uncommon to have the odd anovulatory cycle. Have you changed anything this month that may cause your cycle to be off (ie: extra stress)? What cd are you on now? Maybe ask your doc for provera to kick start af and then if you have another anovulatory cycle then ask to increase met. Hope you get af soon!

Baby - what cd are you on now? Has your bday passed yet / have you tested yet? Fx that you'll get a bfp and daycare will be a bit easier for you! :hugs:

Aein - welcome back :) Hopefully you'll o soon and you and dh will have well timed bd!! :)

Afm, I had another scan and bloodwork done this morning and my follie in my left ovary is now officially mature at 1.9cm!!! In addition, my RE surprised me this morning during my appointment by telling me that I actually have ANOTHER follie in my right ovary which is 1.5cm! :happydance: I'm going back tomorrow to see how the second one is growing - the hope is that this one will mature as well and once it does, the doc will trigger me with an hcg shot which should make me ovulate both eggs, doubling my chances of a bfp (or maybe even a chance of twins)!!! I'm SOOOO excited and trying so hard not get my hopes up! I haven't o'ed on my own since March of last year and was actually waiting for the ok from my doc to start clomid, but now all of a sudden my body decides to do it's jobs and actually makes two follies super late in my cycle (cd28)! I really feel like this has to be metformin finally working. YAY!!!!

JL I'm so excited for you! It's not often you get to know that's there's double chance of bfp or even twins! I'd loveeee twins! What size do they have to be before they release?

Welcome back Aein! I'm on cd 10 today so we're quite close :) although I probably won't O until cd 27 if it's like last month :dohh:

Laura, like JL said, it could be just a missed month. Some women just miss months even without being on met so I'm sure it's easier to miss a month on it. Could be a number of reason or none at all. Hope it sorts it's self out next month.

Krissie, I don't really know much bout opk's but could be what JL has said, hopefully you have O'd though!!

Thanks ladies. Am hoping it sorts itself out too. This is not normal for me :-( I've always been regular.

Laura - :hugs: I hope things regulate soon and that this is just an off cycle!

Bunny - Thanks, I'm really excited too! :D My RE says that any size above 1.8cm is considered mature (so my one that's 1.9cm is already good to go) but if the smaller follie reached 1.7cm that it would be enough to trigger then (she said that the trigger will help the follie mature a little more - which should bump it up to at least 1.8 - and then it would cause me to o about 36 hours after the injection. The smaller follie grew from 1.1cm yesterday to 1.5cm today, so I'm really hoping it will grow another 0.2cm tonight to reach 1.7cm, then I could get the trigger tomorrow morning when I go back for my scan!

Af is here! Going to opk next month to see if I can see what's going on. May have just been that my literal phase lengthened

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->