Metformin & PCOS

I live in the US and I was also told six months max. However, I wonder if that is all in a row or can you do six and then stop for a while and go back?

In theUK they will only treat you with clomid for 6 months - its pretty annoying

yes i know i just think there are things you can try alongside with clomid but how can you try all those things in such a short time line.

or maybe i'm just underestimating my docs ability to treat me cos i've read too many forums. :wacko:

Hmmm I dunno.

As far as I know, the reason many places say 6 max is because there was a fear of a link between clomid and ovarian cancer, but as of yet that link is unproven.

They reckon the more ovulations a woman has, the higher her chance of ovarian cancer, which is why those who were on birth control for some time have a lower chance - but this is just a theory and is relatively unproven

Just to clear things up, I haven't been on Clomid since last October. I guess the way I explained things was a little confusing...My experience with doctors has been whacky at best lol. This is when I took the Clomid last year:1st dose 50mg Oct 2011, 2nd dose 50mg Dec 2011, 3rd dose 50mg Jan 2012. I have heard a lot that you shouldn't take Clomid for more than a few months at a time because you can "over stimulate" the ovaries, and because of an increased risk of ovarian cancer...although I'm not sure if this is true or not. Sorry ladies!! Didn't mean to confuse everyone :dohh:

I did explain to my NEW doctor that I had taken Clomid last year & earlier this year, and he didn't seem to be worried about it. He went ahead and prescribed me 50mg, and said if by Nov 26th I wasn't pregnant, he'd up the dose. :shrug: So maybe it depends on the doctor? My OLD obgyn would only let me have Clomid for 3 months max, then wanted to go into all these extensive tests and such. The only reason he started me on Metformin is because I suggested it after reading so many good things about it!!

So to answer your question MrsAM, I haven't been on Clomid indefinitely. My first doc only allowed me 3 months, and it was all at the same dose. My new OB hasn't mentioned any timelines, so to speak, and has said he will be upping the dose if I do not fall pregnant. I'm hoping with the added Metformin which seems to be a miracle drug for some women, I will have some luck!! :wacko:

Happyandy, thank you for sharing your story!! We can all use the encouragment!! Its so nice to hear a successful Metformin story!! :hugs: And CONGRATS!

Just to clear things up, I haven't been on Clomid since last October. I guess the way I explained things was a little confusing...My experience with doctors has been whacky at best lol. This is when I took the Clomid last year:1st dose 50mg Oct 2011, 2nd dose 50mg Dec 2011, 3rd dose 50mg Jan 2012. I have heard a lot that you shouldn't take Clomid for more than a few months at a time because you can "over stimulate" the ovaries, and because of an increased risk of ovarian cancer...although I'm not sure if this is true or not. Sorry ladies!! Didn't mean to confuse everyone :dohh:

I did explain to my NEW doctor that I had taken Clomid last year & earlier this year, and he didn't seem to be worried about it. He went ahead and prescribed me 50mg, and said if by Nov 26th I wasn't pregnant, he'd up the dose. :shrug: So maybe it depends on the doctor? My OLD obgyn would only let me have Clomid for 3 months max, then wanted to go into all these extensive tests and such. The only reason he started me on Metformin is because I suggested it after reading so many good things about it!!

So to answer your question MrsAM, I haven't been on Clomid indefinitely. My first doc only allowed me 3 months, and it was all at the same dose. My new OB hasn't mentioned any timelines, so to speak, and has said he will be upping the dose if I do not fall pregnant. I'm hoping with the added Metformin which seems to be a miracle drug for some women, I will have some luck!! :wacko:

Happyandy, thank you for sharing your story!! We can all use the encouragment!! Its so nice to hear a successful Metformin story!! :hugs: And CONGRATS!

OHHHHHHHHHH ok now i get it :dohh:

Thanks for taking the time to explain. Let's just say baby making biology is not my strong point. Sometimes it makes me feel so lazy the way nearly everyone on here seems to have done all their research and understands what the heck is going on.

But i think that is the best thing to do, asking questions and research...if i hadn't of read these forums and posts and asked the clomid question i would still be feeling really confused. I just feel like i am bothering the hospital when i am in contact with them. I know they're super busy but I have emailed them now and asked them about all this stuff and feel a lot better...at least its not all bottled up.

now i started countdown...:coffee:

No problem :) I know how you feel, I'm still in the dark about a lot of things like temping for example. I've had a few people tell me I should try it, but I just don't know. I try to read the O charts and stuff and that don't make any sense to me either. But REALLY I would rather not stress about it, and just let nature take its course. If I can get my body to O, I think we've gotta a pretty fair chance!

And you shouldn't feel like you are bothering the hospital, its their job to take care of the patients! I was the same way with my old doc. I would call and call and call, and sometimes I felt bad because I would call like 15x's a day. But I needed answers & a prescription, and I knew if I didn't pester the doctor, I wouldn't get anywhere. :dohh:

Hi ladies!

I just thought I would stop by and see how everyone was doing.

I haven't felt good since yesterday. I have been really dizzy and overall blah. I am so glad this is a short week for me at work. Hubby and I are going to go out of town for a couple days so I am hoping that relaxation will help me feel better and get my mind off of TTC.

Hi ladies!

I just thought I would stop by and see how everyone was doing.

I haven't felt good since yesterday. I have been really dizzy and overall blah. I am so glad this is a short week for me at work. Hubby and I are going to go out of town for a couple days so I am hoping that relaxation will help me feel better and get my mind off of TTC.

Have fun! :) enjoy the relax time

krissie, have a nice time dear, do remember us in prayers:happydance::hugs:

Hmmmmm! I wonder if those COULD be symptoms krissie! I know its super early, but I am the QUEEN at symptom spotting lol Have fun on vacation!! Maybe if you get your mind off TTC it'll help.

As for me, the Metformin has not shown any symptoms or tummy aches today :happydance: Whoop whoop! I did have some spotting today, so hopefully AF will be here tomorrow and can officially start CD1!! I'm so excited to start the Clomid and also be on the Metformin. I feel like our chances are soo much better now for some reason...But then again I hate to get my hopes up too high :dohh:

Yea, I am still trying super hard not to symptom spot, but its hard not to. I think I spent far to long today looking at early pregnancy symptoms. But oh well, for now I am still optimistic. Hubby is finally coming down and being more himself so that makes me feel a little more grounded.

krissie - Seems like were in all the same threads :) I hope you have a nice few days of relaxation! I know I've been looking at symptoms as well. I'm trying not to, but when something new is happening it gets me wondering what it could be :p

Ughh, I know the feeling. When I started Metformin I think I spent like an entire week searching side effects, the likely-hood of it helping me with TTC, success stories of women getting pregnant, and everything in between :dohh: I drove myself nuts looking at this damned computer lol. Thats why I decided to just start a thread so I could share my experiences and others could share theirs! That way we can all talk to each other and hear some success stories together :winkwink: And maybe even become success stories!! lol

Welp, today is CD 1 for me!! I start Clomid in 4 days, and then its on to the fun stuff :winkwink:

my 29th day just end, still waiting for perio to start so i go for further tests

Aein, how long are your cycles normally?? Have you tested?

Eurgh. I'm 3dpo today and sorest bbs EVER! Normally I get sore bbs the day of ov and a couple of days pre af... But they are SUPER sore! Even walking hurts

Hey Ladies,

My FF chart is freaking me out. I don't understand why my temps are going down now and the solid red line is now dotted :( I don't know if this is a good sign or bad. What do you ladies think?

https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3f0f35/thumb.png
My Ovulation Chart

laurac that sounds like a good sign!!

hippiekinz, I really dont know. I *think* that when your temp drops steadily you are about to get AF. So maybe you are about to start a new cycle? I've never temped so I'm really not a good source :wacko:

Aein, how long are your cycles normally?? Have you tested?

normally 28 days cycles i had, but last month it ends on 29... & today 30th day ends but not started, i didnt test yet dear, i think should wait for some more days

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->