Metformin & PCOS

Honestly, I've been on BCP since 16 and I stopped in early oct 2011, got withdrawal bleed then in Nov had I believe another withdrawal bleed and then nothing. I never told my doctor I was trying, I just wanted to see if I would get something and I haven't. That's when I found out in Aug 2012 I have PCOS. I am on Metformin and been losing some weight. So maybe the 2 together will help get AF? Even though I'd rather have a BFP :p

Oooh okay. Well either way you look at it its good! I mean of course a bfp would be better, but getting a cycle on your own and knowing that your body is doin what it is supposed to do would make me feel good! I have been on Metformin for 3 weeks today, and so far I havent lost any weight or noticed really anything as far as it helping. I took provera to get AF so idk if Metformin is helping anything really. Guess we'll just have to wait and see. But I think its great either way, just better to be a bfp!

Honestly, knowing I can actually have a cycle without BCP would make me happy, but BFP would make me even more happy! haha! My doctor said Metformin is important with woman with PCOS because it will help us not get type 2 diabetes. Or was it because I have IR from having PCOS? *shrugs* all I know is he said it would help me health wise and could help ovulation wise with my insulin levels though I don't have diabetes. I guess we shall see.

Yea I regularly check my blood sugar and I have noticed with Metformin I am not even in the borderline levels anymore. Plus I am pretty sure it helped me ovulate last month, even though it was late. However, I am starting to wonder if it is the reason my af is so heavy and painful. I do know this is probably the shortest cycle I have had in over five years. It was only 42 days, so that is something.

Hippie, I think it helps with both. My doc mentioned it would help me keep from getting type 2 diabetes, help my IR, and help preventing gestational diabetes. Basically I think its supposed to help really everything haha.

Krissie, you've been on the Metformin for little more than a month now right? Maybe its taken that long for it to kick in, and this cycle will be even shorter with O sooner? AF was super super heavy and painful for me this time too, but I just assumed it was the Provera... Maybe it was a little bit of both?

Hi girls,

I'm still around, just feeling a it of a ttc funk this past week :( still no ovulation with the soy. Thought I had over the weekend but then temp dropped after 2 days up :dohh:

Once again hopes got high and then nothing....I'm just sick of the roller coaster. I know we haven't been trying that long but I'm so tired of never ovulating. I'm sick of seeing negative OPKs and erratic temps on my chart...I'm just tired of all the disappointment. I guess I could still ovulate. I've heard some girls don't ov with soy till after cd20 so who knows but I feel like I want to just assume it won't happen then maybe I'll be surprised. Last week everything felt so hopeful and positive and this week I feel deflated.

But, I wanted to share one up that may help you girls. Since I read I should do the soy at night before bed I started taking my met then as well. Since switching to bedtime I've had no symptoms at all! I never had it too bad on the met but I did get the occasional bout of diarrhea when I ate the wrong things. Since taking it at bedtime I haven't even had that. So maybe if it's giving you grief trying switching to bedtime dose instead of am? Could help :)

Hey MamaMac, sorry you're feeling down :hugs: But you are definitely not out of the game yet! You could totally still O late, and you might be pleasantly surprised come time for AF :thumbup: I felt like that too the first week I started on the Metformin. I felt like I was wasting time, sick of never Oing, and just wishing I had a normal body. It's hard to deal with sometimes, but try to look at the positives, its the only thing that keeps us moving. :hugs::hugs::hugs: What mg of Metformin are you on again? I think you already told me :haha: but my memory is the worst and I'm too lazy to go searching for it! I'm on 1000mg, I take it in the mornings as soon as I wake up. So far that has worked well for me, I get an occasional upset stomach, but NOTHING like when I was taking it midday. Of course I usually lay back down after hubby goes to work, so maybe thats why? Haha.

Well, I weighed myself today since I hadn't done so in a week or so. And I've lost 3lbs!! I'm not sure if its the Metformin, or because I havent been feeling the best in the last two weeks, but I'll take it! I guess I'll have to watch it and see if I keep losing weight with me feeling better... It's so nice to see the scale drop a few numbers without even doing anything though!!! Anyone lose weight on just the Metformin??

Thanks Babyjla :hugs: I'm on 1000 mg also. I'm wondering if I need to up it a bit more but going to wait till next month when I see the new doc and see what she says.

I was wondering the same thing, but I've only been on it for 3 weeks yesterday. So I'm going to stick it out for a few months and see. If by January I don't think its working then I'll ask the doc about upping the dose.

I usually lose weight on Metformin. But I had a spike this week and have gained about 5 lbs. But I am pretty sure that has something to do with going to grad school full time and working full time equalling hubby makes dinner and its usually not the best. But, I am going grocery shopping so hopefully that will add some better options in the house.

So Gals,

my tdy appointment just finished, my hormones test done and report will came on Saturday, i hope for the best :thumbup:

rest my DH semen analysis report came as below;

Sperm Count ...... 40 Million (Dr said its fine but will increase some) :dohh:

Progressivle motility .... 15% (Dr said its v low atleast it increase by 60%) :growlmad::blush:

Non Motile .... 70% :nope:

So his Dr put him on medication to increase the result, as per him, report is sumhow ok dont worry... should it be?? :cry:

aein, im so sorry! i really hope his numbers increase! :hugs:

Aein, sounds like his numbers should increase with the medication. Fingers crossed your tests come back good!!

Alrighty ladies,

I'm 99% sure AF is knocking because all day there is light pink/red when I wipe. It's not to a point where i need a tampon or pad, but I think it's going to get heavier. I'm not even sure if this is AF atm? I'm so use to my periods needing a tampon, but I haven't need to use a product. Should I chart on FF that my period is here now? I mean I haven't had any bright red blood so I'm not too sure.

hippie, i think on FF u should take it as spotting, whnever u changed it wid lighter or heavy in future dates it auto show u CD1..

so Gals, tdy evening big time for me as have to collect my repirt n discussion with Dr, plz pray for me

baby dear i hope so his number increase and also motility progress up, dr put him on Provera, lolz he us very much concerned n saying this medication for women so why he give me :D

Good Morning,

So during the night I saw a bit more bright red blood. I put a tampon in, but when i changed it this morning it was like a third covered (SRY TMI) I don't think it's spotting anymore, I don't have any light tampons - just regular and up. So I declared light and I'm starting a new cycle. Also my temp when to 96.80 as well. So I guess my body finally did it. I'm not sure how to quote how long this cycle was since it's been since Nov 2011, but it took 50 days since I started Metformin 500mg to get my own period :) I know my FF chart says 38, but that cause i didn't start charting til Sept 5.

Good luck to all of us on our next cycles! I can't wait to go see my new ob/gyn and tell her I got my period! Maybe then we can take the next step from there :)

thats good hippie, tht finally u get it back dear

my cycles are with me monthly basis just this month came after 7 days delayed...

and after some hours my appointment with my Dr, my report should came... so i hope for the best although m some nervous too

I've got to admit I'm pretty impressed with Metformin. I used it for half a cycle and it's cut my cycle from 36 to 32 days. Plus the side effects have disappeared now.

Fx

Hippie, I usually get some light spotting 1-2 days before AF really starts. So until I see some bright red and slightly heavier, I dont count it as CD1. If you haven't had AF in a while, you better be ready for the long haul! You might get lucky, but when I got AF in August after missing 5 months.... Whoaaa! It lasted over 20days, and atleast half were super super heavy days with huge clots. Worst time of my life lol.

Aein, the doctor put your DH on Provera?? I've never heard of that lol, of course I've never really researched it either :haha: can't wait to here the results!!

Welp, for me it looks like AF is definitely leaving town CD 10. Its been super light all day yesterday and this morning was brown... So thank God its leaving :D I had my first batch of nausea with the Metformin last night. Cant exactly pin point it to the Met, but I'm pretty sure it played a big part it in. I made venison and gravy last night, hubby loves the stuff lol, and its really greasy. Well, usually I eat a big ole plate of it no problem... Last night I had like 5 bites and started feeling sick a few hrs later. :( but, I'm much better this morning. Just gotta stay away from grease lol. Which brings me to something else... I'm never hungry anymore! I seriously go all day without getting hungry until close to 4 or 5pm. And even then I dont eat much. Like we had subs for dinner the other night, and I ate half and left the rest. I guess thats a sure fire way to lose weight! :haha: anybody else have no appetite with Metformin? I'm really thinking the 3lbs I lost was the Met, cause its staying off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->