Methods on getting baby ready for bed.

S

shaunanicole

Hey girls,

as you might of seen I posted yesterday asking if I should allow Ava to cry at night when I try putting her down for bed and she cries when I set her down but is fine when I pick her up. I came to the conclusion that it's best I pick her up and settle her down rather then let her cry herself to sleep.

Anyways I wanted to ask for some tips on soothing a baby to sleep when they are already tired since Ava's problem seems to be she is fighting her sleep. So far I have come up with the following ideas on how to make her feel more comfortable going to bed. Please feel free on adding to the list or telling me some of your ways to get your baby to sleep when they just want to sleep in your arms not their crib.

-Swaddling baby in a warm blanket. (It seems to make her feel secure.)
-Giving a warm bottle. (The warm milk makes them sleepier.)
-Putting soft music on. (It helps calm baby.)
-Giving a bath before bed time. (Ava always falls into a deep sleep after a bath.)

That's all I have but I'd like some more ideas so she doesn't get bored with it. Thanks! :flower:

Use a sleepng bag so that they don't feel the difference in temperature between you and their bed. Works for us!

i find a very tight swaddle helps, i let my lo fall asleep at the boob on a pillow then carry him up and transfer him into his cot (without pillow) and tuck him with some more blankets! its not ideal but it works for us! x

I think a routine is good, though they may not pick up on it at fisrt if you keep doing the same things in the same order before bed they will start associating with bedtime.

I find Alex goes to sleep easiest with a routine.

Have you thought about lookign up the signs of being tired to catch her before she gets over tired?

I find with Thomas I have to catch him when he is first starting to get tired, before he gets overtired, or else he has huge difficulties getting to sleep and just gets more and more cranky. I have no suggestions of how to get baby to sleep in the crib as Thomas hates his crib and will generally only sleep in it if he is fast asleep when I put him into it. The main thing that works to get Thomas to sleep is rocking him, either in my arms, on my shoulder, in the bouncy chair, or in the pram. He also feeds to sleep but then I have to wind him or he wakes up 10 minutes later. None of them very good habits but you have to do what works I think when they are only tiny.

ruby gets over tired and I find stroking her face while making shhh noises helps. Also she is a light sleeper so making sure we are really quiet helps too x

Routine really helps...took Joshua a few weeks to catch on but generally he goes down with few problems.

we used to do bath everynight, then feed, cuddle and bed!
Now we don't need to do bath everynight

I always feed him with the lights off to, so he associates that feed with bedtime. Then I put him down awake, and leave the room. If he cries i go back and stroke him face and put his dummy back and leave again.

Don't have to do this ore than 3 times now..some nights not at all.

Just perserve...it gets easier :D

stroking face works for me..and also the bedtime story cd's really help

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->