NCT classes

MummyKP

Reaction score
Just wandering if anyone has completed any of the NCT antenatal classes and if you would recommend them? Can't decide whether to sign up or not. I've heard some people say you get so much more out of it than the NHS ones, and I like the idea of meeting other new mums as I don't know many in my area, but was wandering if they are really worth the money?

I think the biggest advantage of them is meeting other new mum's to be honest. The information covered probably won't be hugely different to nhs ones but there's a bigger focus on the social side and developing friendships, which can be invaluable in the lonely early days of motherhood.

I went to the NCT and the NHS ones. To be honest, the NHS one that I was signed up for was better than the NCT one but I have contact details of the NCT ones and we will be meeting up soon and hopefully there is an element of meeting people who will be in the same situation as me in a month or so!

It's well known that the NCT encourages all the women to stay in touch and many are very good friends for a long time. I signed up and paid because I don't know many people in my area.

I did not go to NHS, but NCT only and was happy with them. I like the fact they gave some practical excercises and good friends to go through the new experience. We moved out of the area just before my son was born, but before were meeting for lunch on everyones due date :) and still keep in touch 3 years later :)

Very worth it in my opinion, as you get to make friends with other couples over several weeks, depending on which course you do. When I has my first lo we were part of a group of 8 couples, 7 couples still all meet up 2.5 years down the line. It's essential to have a support network of others going through the same things at the same time, you can share your worries together and realise things are normal as everyone else is experiencing the same. Also the Nct will do local coffee mornings in your area as well as nearly new sales etc, the main website will show you what's going on. I was lucky with my group, most groups get on but occasionally they don't gel!
I now volunteer with the Nct as it helped me so much in the early months!
X
Edit: through my volunteering I meet many mums those who struggle most are ones who don't do any classes, nhs or Nct so have not made a support network. It's so important to have people nearby who are at same stage as you x

I still see two nct ladies often now, our children are 2.5. I see them at least monthly, and weekly until one went back to work. Both good friends now, one recommend them just for that reason.

I've attended both NHS and NCT antenatal classes. The former when I was my best friends birth partner, and the latter when I was pregnant with DD.

NHS - ok simply for information. My friend has never seen a single person from the NHS class since.

NCT - Amazing for making friends. There were 9 couples in my class (they usually do a max of 8 but 1 extra couple snuck in) and I'm still in contact with all of them. 2 Mum's came over for lunch on Friday and our toddlers are 2.5 years. I don't think I would have enjoyed maternity leave nearly as much without them.
They were also good for information, although I did find they really pushed natural birth which made me a bit frustrated as I already had my mind made up I was having an epidural. Some of the other things they taught didn't work for my birth and baby either - we spent half a class learning about swaddling and it turned out DD hated being restricted and they said birthing on your back was a terrible idea - which lead to my midwife after 45 minutes literally begging with me to forget the information I was told and please push on my back rather than side - baby almost shot out once I listened to the midwife. So I'd take the information with a pinch of salt and realise it might not work for your birth and baby, they seem to say what works best for most (but not all).
I 100% recommend it though, it saved a fortune in the long run as I had a year of free support and play dates on maternity leave x

The NCT classes were fine but I'd agree the social side is most important. My DD is 5 and 2 of my good friends were met through the class (I'm still in contact with 7/8 families I met at the class). I'd definitely recommend it from that perspective.

I've just started nct and I really wanted to meet new people. I'm starting the nhs ones soon to but have been told by even the midwife not to expect too much. People have different opinions of both and different experiences. I've only had one nct so I've not made friends for life yet but so many people I know have I the past. I guess it depends what your looking for out of a class

I did the NHS one which I didn't think were that good e.g. there was lots about the benefits of breast feeding but no discussion of potential problems and how to deal with them. When we struggled when DS was born, I felt completely unprepared. The classes were so big and took place over a weekend and so nobody made friends.

I wanted to do nct but I couldn't find any classes in my area (there were but I didn't look properly). I really really regret this as I've heard so many great things about getting a instant support network which I still don't have. I go to toddler groups but everybody already knows each other and I'm quite shy so a lot of the time I don't even get to chat to anyone. I really think nct would have given me a much better experience :(

I've been looking at doing an nct refresher course to make friends but unfortunately there is definitely non on offer. I don't want to do a first timer course as I would feel a right numpty being there as a second time mum. I've found something called daisy antenatal classes that I'm going to do which is not just for first timers :)

I would say the NCT classes are worth it if you are looking to make friends I have made 6 lovely new friends from my NCT classes and we all still speak almost daily on a whatsapp chat group :thumbup: worth every penny in my opinion :)

I went to NCT antenatal classes for my first pregnancy, didn't go to NHS. Agree with others that whilst there was some useful info from the classes, the best bit was meeting people in my local area who were having babies at the same time as me. It has been almost 2 years since we first met and we are all still in touch, even with 2 of the group of 8 having moved away (and even moved country!). We have a whatsapp group which is a great way of keeping in touch and asking questions etc and was invaluable in the early days. We still meet up as regularly as we can - although less often now we are all back to work! Some are starting to think about second babies now, and one is due 6 weeks after me, which is great!

Thanks everyone for your responses. I'd heard it is great for meeting other mums in the area and clearly that's the best thing that comes out of it for you all too. I would like to go to baby groups once she arrives which I'd like to think would allow me to meet new friends, so now to decide whether to do the NCT classes too! Thanks everyone

You often go to groups with your Nct friends - moral support!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->