Neighbour complaining me about parking outside my house

Private road? Most new estate roads are adopted by the council, I'm surprised it's private, but at any rate Binky is right. There are many good reasons not to reverse from a drive to a road, not least because the Highway Code warns against it. If you have to cross a pavement when reversing out there is a real risk of hitting a small child or even an adult crossing, as well as not being able to see any cars coming. If you are reversing in, you have a much better view of what's in the way. And if it's hard for her to reverse in and avoid your car it's equally hard for her to reverse out. Equally, it is illegal to drive on to the pavement to park. I have to say, it sounds like a reasonable request to me. Sure she may not be very skilled at parking, but if you are obstructing a driveway, that's against the Highway Code too.

I understand why you might prefer to park near your house, but unfortunately it's the way of the world when you don't have your own drive. Having lived in many flats in my time, I understand the frustration. There is nothing to stop anyone else parking there. That's why I bought a house with a driveway! I would park my car round the corner, after all if it's a new estate that's what the car park will have been out there for. I might park my car outside my house to drop off my shopping, then park more responsibly and bring my child in.

im sorry but what would she do if someone else parked there? its not reserved for your car anyone on the street could park there -would she hunt them down and post them a letter-i would decline and park my car there i think you have been more than reasonable but if your worried perhaps give your local council a ring for some advice

On the fence here but if it was me I woulld be cross if it was difficult to get on my drive in any way I choose. Not least because it cost me alot of money to pay for the pleasure of a dropped kerb and drive!

Difficult situation. I have a drive with two gates, people from the house opposite and visitors to the houses just round the corner constantly park opposite my drive and my gates and make it incredibly difficult for me to get on/off my drive, so if she's having the same difficulties as I am then I can totally see her point, it does annoy me too.

I thought it was illegal to block someone's driveway? Although I know your not parking right in front of her drive so she has no way to get out you are blocking her exit? I might be wring though. I can sympathise with you it must be annoying and obviously a child who is Maybe tired etc and lots of bags it's easier for you.

But I don't ever drive in to spaces, driveways or anything. I had an accident a few years ago doing do and would be annoyed if I was having to do it, as I lost confidence and would want the hefty bill if I scraped my car again. Perhaps your neighbour has similar fears or experiences hence why she has asked you.

And actually it's a tad silly to say would she hunt everyone down who patrons there, she obviously feels she can speak to OP as she "knows" her not a stranger.

Just my opinion :flow:

If its a new development on a private road, in assuming these are both new houses?

Either the houses with drives shouldnt have been built ŵith drives or the houses opposite should have double yellow lines if it causes an issue?

Most modern housing developments build houses with cars in mind... Or at least they should be!

I'm on a new housing estate and the roads must be the narrowest they could be. A lot have two or more cars and work vans. Sometimes cars park opposite our space, I worry I'll struggle when I pass my test but hubby manges fine. Our neighbour practically park in our space ( we have out own spaces like car park spaces) and leave a lot of space the other side which is starting to annoy me abit x

If you bought the house knowing that your car parking space is round the corner then that is your problem not your neighbours. They have got a house with a drive which they should be entitled to use.

tell her to get lost. You pay road tax just as she does. Anyone can park on a road, nobody owns a space unless its clearly marked.

id just say you are parking outside your house but she is more than welcome to come and knock the door when she needs to park and you can just move your car for a couple of minutes. there is no reason why she cant compromise why should you have to put yourself out completly so she has it all her own way

If you bought the house knowing that your car parking space is round the corner then that is your problem not your neighbours. They have got a house with a drive which they should be entitled to use.

Where did the OP say her car parking space is around the corner? she said there is a carpark round the corner, not that it has designated spaces.
She bought a house and there is parking on the road outside of it, anyone who pays road tax can park on any road in the country if there are not restrictions in place. The OP is not parking over her neighbours drive she is parking on the other side of the road.

Where did the OP say her car parking space is around the corner? she said there is a carpark round the corner, not that it has designated spaces.
She bought a house and there is parking on the road outside of it, anyone who pays road tax can park on any road in the country if there are not restrictions in place. The OP is not parking over her neighbours drive she is parking on the other side of the road.

You don't have to be parked right in front of a driveway to block it. If her car is obstructing the drive, and the owners of the drive, and the owner of the drive further along has said it is, then she is causing an obstruction by parking there. The spaces round the corner don't have to be designated, if there are houses on the new estate without driveways, the car park round the corner will have been designed for those houses.

It is private until they finish the development and then the council adopt the road. The house next to her also has a droppped curb so if she used her head and drove around that way (road is one big circle) then she would have no problem driving onto her drive and in fact could probably reverse on that way too. I accomodate her most days so am mainly pissed that she feels the need to post a letter on the one day I didnt instead of compromising for once.
Oh and she doesnt "know" me even as a neighbour. the first time i ever spoke to her was when she first knocked on my door to complain about the parking.

Sounds like she is making a mountain out of a mole hill to me. It would never even cross my mind that a car parked on the other side of the road shouldn't be there? Unless the road is really narrow, I'm sure she had the appropriate skills to maneuver her vehicle.

Why not suggest that to her then? The driving around the road let her trial it maybe she hasn't thought of it properly :shrug:

Id keep parking where you want to just cos she has a drive doesn't mean she has more rights than you. If it's terrible weather or you've been shopping why should you walk from round the corner.

I get annoyed at the people across the road who park on the road, despite having a driveway, but I'd never dream of saying something to them, even though I am a gobby cow most of the time.

I wouldn't suggest that she reverse onto the road as it's obviously not as safe as driving forwards onto it, not least because a pedestrian may walk behind her car reversing off the drive.

However, I don't understand why she can't reverse onto the drive in the first place? Most cars are, in my understanding, more manoeuvrable when reversing, which is why you're taught to reverse into the gap when parallel parking instead of driving in forwards. You can get into a much shorter gap when reversing than you can driving forwards. SHE may not feel as comfortable reversing as driving forwards but her (lack of) driving skills shouldn't mean you have to change where you park, if a normally skilled driver could do it. Could you reverse onto her drive, OP? If you could and you're not some kind of stunt driver, tell her to book a lesson with a driving instructor to teach her to reverse properly. If you're feeling kind, offer to go halves on an hour long lesson for her. If you couldn't do it yourself, I'd park elsewhere because it is her drive after all and I wouldn't feel right about restricting access, regardless of the legalities of it.

hmmm I don't see why she can't just reverse out of her parking :shrug: I'm all for being neighborly but as long as you aren't making it difficult for cars to drive down the street, you aren't directly blocking her drive etc, then she needs to just deal with it. You're not doing anything illegal :shrug:

She should come live in Greece for a while :haha: not only do people park wherever and however...they'd also laugh at her like crazy for saying something like that :haha:

So OP should make her lift more difficult, give herself a walk with children and shopping etc so that her neighbours life is easier?
Or she could make her life easier and the neighbours slightly difficult?
I think i'd park in front of my house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->