Neighbour complaining me about parking outside my house

I find it easier to reverse into things also

I wouldn't park opposite a driveway tbh.

I used to pick up a taxi from a driveway where someone parked opposite. It made it incredibly difficult to get the car both and and out, be it reversing or driving forwards. The guy who parked opposite was a total prick, and the neighbours on each side also have cars which made the manoeuvre even harder. Not to mention in bad weather, a slight incline and a slip on the ice could send her right into your car.

I wouldn't park opposite a driveway tbh.

I used to pick up a taxi from a driveway where someone parked opposite. It made it incredibly difficult to get the car both and and out, be it reversing or driving forwards. The guy who parked opposite was a total prick, and the neighbours on each side also have cars which made the manoeuvre even harder. Not to mention in bad weather, a slight incline and a slip on the ice could send her right into your car.

Except that 9/10 times I dont park opposite her drive. Since she first mentioned it I park just a little further about 10 feet away from my house (last on the street so not in front of a neightbours house) just so that she can reverse into her drive and make her life easier. On saturday a car was parked opposite where i would usually park so for me to park there would have blocked th whole street. My son was asleep in the car and i had loads of shopping to unload and so i parked in front of my house. So for one day she had to drive forward onto her drive and instead of acknowledging that i usually accomodate her she chose to post a letter.

Yeah I think she was taking the mick tbh, if you parked there every time then sure have a chat with you about it but since it was a one off then she see that you usually go out of your way to be helpful given the situation but for some reason today (the other day) you couldnt and let it go.

Just from a safety point of view I wouldn't encourage someone to reverse out of their driveway. My so was nearly run over-the car missed him by about an inch-because someone reversed out of their drive. There was no way they could see him coming out backwards whereas driving out would of made him visible.

stay where you are!!!
i have to drive round my road the other way (its like a loop road) so i can get into my drive way, yes it takes me about 12 seconds longer to get home but ide rather that than expect my poor elderly neighbour to walk from god knows where with all her shopping & grandkids as ive told her she cant park outside her OWN house...

xx

I would park outside my house unless I was really blocking or inconveniencing one of my neighbours, and would be furious if someone dictated to me where I could park. You have been more than accommodating so she should offer you the same respect, especially if she knows you have a child to consider.

I really don't see the issue with you parking there. Even with a car parked on the other side of the road I don't understand why she can't reverse in.

i would just park outside my house tbh -

maybe just leave her a note saying your sorry but occasionally you need to park outside if you have shopping or your child to sort out quickily and that you will try to accomadate her but realistically you do sometimes need to park outside your own home

tbh if it was me i wouldnt even give her an explanation id just be like sorry im parking outside my house.

I really don't see the issue with you parking there. Even with a car parked on the other side of the road I don't understand why she can't reverse in.

The road on our new housing estate isn't as wide as older roads. I'm guessing it's the same at OPs new estate x

The road on our new housing estate isn't as wide as older roads. I'm guessing it's the same at OPs new estate x

Same here. I've been driving almost 25 years and generally have no problem manoeuvring but at our new house I have to take a couple of moves to reverse into our drive. If a car was parked near it would be very difficult indeed.

I just can't understand why someone without a drive expects to park right outside their house. It's a public right of way, not your own private space and if you are concerned about having to walk far in the rain or with a lot of,stuff, why would you buy a house without a drive :shrug:

Same here. I've been driving almost 25 years and generally have no problem manoeuvring but at our new house I have to take a couple of moves to reverse into our drive. If a car was parked near it would be very difficult indeed.

I just can't understand why someone without a drive expects to park right outside their house. It's a public right of way, not your own private space and if you are concerned about having to walk far in the rain or with a lot of,stuff, why would you buy a house without a drive :shrug:

Firstly because the houses with a drive cost an extra 30k and secondly because everyone else on our side of the road park their cars in front of the house and when we went to view the house and saw people parked there it gave the impression that this wouldnt be a problem.

Our road isn't particularly narrow and I'm a pretty accomplished driver yet if a car is parked opposite it's a nightmare to get into our drive. Then add a car parked outside our house and next doors house along with outside the other two houses opposite and it's virtually impossible.

I also agree with the fact that it's a public right of way and therefore no one has a right to park there over anyone else. Yes it's nice to park right outside but if someone is really bothered then buying a house with no drive isn't the best route to go down. We specifically only looked at houses with a drive.

This thread has made me chuckle! If you've never been affected by parking issues you just won't understand.

OP, I would park outside your house if I were you, if your neighbour can get in and out of her drive with you there, but it might be a bit awkward, oh well. Your road sounds normal size to me if cars can fit up and down with cars parked on at least one side. My mums road is narrow, and it's an 'old' road and there are cars EVERYwhere! Yes getting in and out of the driveways are a pain, but you know what it's just done, people just get on with it. The only time people will complain is if someone parks over a driveway.

The fact you don't normally park there just goes to show how petty your neighbour is! Do they really have nothing better to do than to keep an eye out on when you park there?!

Eta: my house has a driveway but I still park on the road as it's easier for me. I'm not opposite a house, but am opposite a junction, but it's a quiet road so it doesn't really matter.

That does make more sense if the roads are narrower. :flower:

I suppose the neighbour could be worried about hitting OP's car. If roads are narrow then that would be my worry!

From what's now been said about the additional cost.. If I'd paid 30K more for a driveway then I'd not be impressed if I couldn't comfortably use it.

It was a one off though. Surely if the OP can be considerate of her neighbour all those other times, then the same can be done back for the OP on the odd occasion. I think if we want our neighbours to give a bit then we have to expect to in return as well.

It was a one off though. Surely if the OP can be considerate of her neighbour all those other times, then the same can be done back for the OP on the odd occasion. I think if we want our neighbours to give a bit then we have to expect to in return as well.

Not according to the original post., parked on the pavement until they were more worried about their new car, then parked on the road. It's only later in the thread it apparently became " a one off":shrug:

The OP does say that she did park on the pavement but then not with the new car so obviously that caused more of an issue which is when the neighbour spoke to her and she moved it further down from when asked in October, so that is four months of not parking there.

I wouldnt even consider parking anywhere else. If there is a space in front of the house then park there! If it was an unsuitable place to park then there would be yellow lines!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->