non-dubious American style pancake mix recipe

summer rain

Mum of 5
Reaction score
I may have posted this before ages ago but felt it worth posting again. Not only does it make tasty pancakes it involves some fun science related discoveries for your kids. I found this recipe in one of my mennonite cookbooks, it really works and its cheap (especially when the constituent ingredients are on offer or bought from value ranges or in bulk). A lot of US-made pancake mixes you buy from the shop contain rather dubious ingredients and sometimes GMO ingredients, you can guarantee this one doesn't. I will post the recipe to make 4lbs (1.8kg) of mix; this will make approx 20 batches of 6-10 pancakes depending on size, if this is too much then you can safely half the recipe. If stored in an appropriately cool, dry and preferably dark place this mix should keep well for 6-12 months.

Warning though, you need an absolutely huge container to put this in-for the full recipe something that is at least a 10 litre capacity as powder is far bulkier than liquids and you want a bit of room at the top to scoop out the mixture without it spilling over the sides. I have adjusted the 'making up the mix' instructions to account for the difference in moisture content and texture between US and UK/European flour, so if you're in the US and maybe Canada you may want to decrease slightly the amount of oil and water added to the mix

Ingredients

To make 4lb

12 US cups flour
2 teaspoons salt (optional-I do not add this as baking powder is 'salty' to begin with)
3/4 US cup baking powder
3/4 US cup sugar (again I sometimes omit this)
4 cups powdered SKIMMED milk (have tried it with full fat milk powder and it tastes disgusting and the pancakes disintegrate)

Mix well in massive bowl and store in airtight container preferably in a dark cupboard.

To use

To serve 3-4, combine in bowl:

1 beaten egg
1.5 US cups water or 375ml water [if in US try with only 1 cup]
2 tablespoons melted fat, butter or oil
1.5 US cups pancake mix

This can be doubled. The mixture will look lumpy but do not overmix; just make sure all ingredients are moistened; any lumps will disappear when cooked.

To cook, fry on hot ungreased griddle or a very good quality non stick frying pan

just wanted to add as well; if you want to make it a bit healthier but still have that nice fluffiness to the pancakes-you can throw half a cup of wheatgerm in when actually mixing up the pancakes. Don't throw it into the mix and put it in the cupboard as wheatgerm can go rancid more quickly than other wheat products xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->