Non religious funeral...........?

When my dad died he chose to be cremated and had his ashes scattered in the River Thames, then we had a memorial for him instead of a funeral. It was really nice, in the back garden of a friend's house - there was lots of food and drinks and people performed music and told stories about my dad. There was crying but he wanted it to be a celebration rather than mourning and I always look back on the day very fondly.

I lost my first husband in a car accident and thankfully he had told me what his wishes were. He wasn't religious. We held a service at a funeral home, my dad gave the eulogy, and then whoever wanted to went up to the podium and said something about him, be it how they felt about him, a funny story, just whatever they wanted to say and each person who spoke was given a rose and when they were done they put it on the pedistal with his urn. We also played a few of his favorite songs. Obviously he was cremated before hand. That will also be how my funeral is done.

Thank you - i finally have written down a basic list of my wishes and it was very strange but now i have done it, it is like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders, somewhat..... it must be awful for family not to know the wants and wishes of a loved one if they were to die.

i am now bugging my husband to write down his wishes too......... the only thing i cant decide is who would look after our daughters and dog lol... if me and my husband were to both die - i have decided that this cant possibly happen until my eldest is 18 at least so from now on we wont go anywhere together to minimise that chance LOL - no seriously its SO difficult - i would want my daughters to stay in our family home and have whoever come and live with them so that they can stay at their local schools and be with their friends and routine as such but the majority of my family wouldnt do that and/or have their own family etc its something myself and my husband seriously need to talk about and i just hope we are lucky enough to live until they have both grown up and able to take care of themsleves - jeez how depressing! x

For my uncles funeral he wasnt religous but wanted to be buried we had his service in the room at the crem where a humanist read the service. We then went to the graveyard to bury him x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->