Nurse gave me the wrong flu shot :-(

xxenigmaxx

mom of 2 and expecting
Reaction score
On the paper work at the doctors, there is a box to check if pregnant. Apparently the nurse was too tired or too rushed to notice, and she accidentally gave me the regular flu shot with the preservative :-( I am not a fan of the flu shot as it is, and I would not have gotten it normally. Since I am due right in the middle of winter, I figured it was best to get one to protect my baby. Now I am a little nervous. She had her supervisors come over and they both promised me everything would be ok, and that lots of pregnant women got the regular shot for years before they came out with a preservative-free one. I even called the CDC and they too told me everything would be ok. I just want to protect my baby, and now I am second guessing getting this shot. Has anyone else ever received the 'regular' flu shot while pregnant? Lesson learned - always make sure you are getting the right one before they put the needle in you!!!

The amount of preservative in those things is miniscule. I'm sure you'll be fine.

You gotta stay positive about it and since they said that some women got the regular shot as well and that you'll be just fine, just don't worry about it. Try to distract yourself and not think about it too much since you've taken the shot already. Just stay positive. *Sends you some positive vibes*

You should be fine, but she needs to pay more attention to her damn patients.

I have no idea what one I got - I did tell her I was pregnant though - its also pretty darn obvious!

I had the regular flu shot with both dd and they're both fine. Don't worry xx

I'm a nurse working the flu clinics in Canada and my first shift I got the shot, we didn't have the single dose on hand so I got the regular one. Both are completely safe. I would of opted for the single dose but really it's no matter. The one you want to absolutely not get is the live vaccine, usually something like Flumist, this is contraindicated in pregnancy. You're perfectly fine!

Thanks everyone!! The nurse seemed a lot more worried after she found out what she did than I was. I figured there is absolutely nothing that can be done once the flu shot is given, so why get upset or too worried! I am a natural worrier, even though I know things will be fine.

I'm not getting the flu shot (own reasons), however, I just wanted to say you will be alright. :)

Im not sure what I got either.. however it was at my OB appointment haha. I guess just stay positive about it, because theres nothing you can do now. But I am sure they would let you know if there was a reason to worry. Good luck!

I had the same flu jab as everyone else! I was in a queue and mine was exactly the same despite being pregnant.. I didn't know they had different ones??? Maybe they don't in UK? I'm sure it'll be fine anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->