*October Bumpkins*2014* 43 Babies Born!

Kel that looks amazing! I would love to have a room like that for nursery. Unfortunately as our spare room is also my office we're not doing a nursery in this house. I think we're planning to move towards the end of my maternity leave next year.

Congrats mushymilk on 3rd tri!!

Stacey - such cute scan pics! Your little man is so handsome :D

Lauraemily, your bump is lovely. Mine has grown similarly over the last few weeks.

Kel, your nursery is beautiful!

Congrats to all the new 3rd tri ladies :dance: I'm 28 weeks today (or Friday just gone, by ultrasound dates).

I had a creative morning, look what I did! I thought the nursery needed a picture, so I made one :D I haven't done anything else at all the rest of the day :haha: The nursery is coming together, I'm desperate to get the cot ordered (will do it so it will be delivered when hubby is on annual leave, so hopefully within the next 2 weeks, once he's actually booked some time off), and I need to do the stencils on the walls and make the curtains, and I think that's it finished then. Still got a great big list of things to buy, but apart from the crib and car seat base, it's the smaller things left now. How is everyone else getting on with their shopping lists?

Attachments

• DSCN0627.jpg
    DSCN0627.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 10
Stacey - such cute scan pics! Your little man is so handsome :D

Lauraemily, your bump is lovely. Mine has grown similarly over the last few weeks.

Kel, your nursery is beautiful!

Congrats to all the new 3rd tri ladies :dance: I'm 28 weeks today (or Friday just gone, by ultrasound dates).

I had a creative morning, look what I did! I thought the nursery needed a picture, so I made one :D I haven't done anything else at all the rest of the day :haha: The nursery is coming together, I'm desperate to get the cot ordered (will do it so it will be delivered when hubby is on annual leave, so hopefully within the next 2 weeks, once he's actually booked some time off), and I need to do the stencils on the walls and make the curtains, and I think that's it finished then. Still got a great big list of things to buy, but apart from the crib and car seat base, it's the smaller things left now. How is everyone else getting on with their shopping lists?
I've only just wrote the list. I have the pram, car seat, cot (needs new mattress), a couple of sheets but I know I need more, baby bath, a steriliser, breast pump, a bouncer, a play mat, 2 newborn outfits and 4 baby grows.
This has actually made me feel like I'm more organised than I thought.

Wow, that's a beautiful picture. You're so talented!

After a day at ikea we've ticked a few more things off our list! Still quite a bit to get but it's mostly the smaller easier bits I can get locally. All the bigger items are now purchased.

I've only just wrote the list. I have the pram, car seat, cot (needs new mattress), a couple of sheets but I know I need more, baby bath, a steriliser, breast pump, a bouncer, a play mat, 2 newborn outfits and 4 baby grows.

This is always a major plus! I have an Excel spreadsheet to try and keep things organised. I'm changing the colours of each item on the list from red to green when we buy things. It's nice to see the proportion of green going up!

I have a question about breastfeeding, actually, since you've mentioned it - I'm hoping to breastfeed, and hence to be expressing after I go back to work (which I'm planning on doing once LO is 8 months or so), but I have no idea if I'll need to or want to express much before that. Do I still need to get a steriliser? Or should I just wait until I know when I'll start expressing? Or should I get a steriliser and a few bottles before LO comes, just in case I can't breastfeed at all?

Wow, that's a beautiful picture. You're so talented!

After a day at ikea we've ticked a few more things off our list! Still quite a bit to get but it's mostly the smaller easier bits I can get locally. All the bigger items are now purchased.

Aww, thank you :D I'm ridiculously over-the-top pleased with myself, as it's turned out miles better than I thought it would. Hubby shared it on fb and one of his workmates has said she'll pay me to make her one \\:D/

This is always a major plus! I have an Excel spreadsheet to try and keep things organised. I'm changing the colours of each item on the list from red to green when we buy things. It's nice to see the proportion of green going up!

I have a question about breastfeeding, actually, since you've mentioned it - I'm hoping to breastfeed, and hence to be expressing after I go back to work (which I'm planning on doing once LO is 8 months or so), but I have no idea if I'll need to or want to express much before that. Do I still need to get a steriliser? Or should I just wait until I know when I'll start expressing? Or should I get a steriliser and a few bottles before LO comes, just in case I can't breastfeed at all?
The chance of you physically not being able to breastfeed is very slim. Bottles were actually my biggest waste of money purchase last time. He rarely had a bottle and by 3 months refused to take one. The switch from breast to bottle was not an easy one. In fact you can see by my ticker it just didn't happen.

My ds had no problem going between breast and bottle. I breast fed for 6 months, but on the weekends one middle of the night feeding was done by bottle so my dh could feed and I could get a bigger chunk of sleep every once in awhile :) I found it nice to have a pump too cause it helped me to get my supply up faster because I could pump when he was done eating. Also it gave me a chance to pump and dump a couple of times! Lol

The longer you leave it to introduce bottles the harder it can be. From my experience it's better to introduce them with expressed milk sooner rather than later, ideally within the first month or 2. For me it was great as DH was really keen to be involved in the feeding & it meant we could share night feeds. Of course it depends how you feel about breastfeeding & whether you want to share that experience or be the sole feeder.

I would say that you shouldn't get the sterilizer until you know you'll need one. I know some people think its natural and should be easy to breastfeed, but its not. I had a horrible experience trying to breastfeed with dd1 and had to switch to bottles. With dd2, I tried again and had a better experience and was able to breastfeed for the first 7 months. She was a little premature so I did have to top up with formula and was never able to get my milk production up. I'll be trying again this time. I will get a few bottles just in case. I won't get a sterilizer unless I need it. You can always sterilize by placing the bottles in boiling water for 10 minutes.

I don't mind sharing the feeding at all, if hubby is up for it (we haven't discussed it yet, but I don't imagine he'd be against it). There's a small chance I may have to go on immunosuppressants after the birth which would mean I couldn't breastfeed, but that wouldn't happen immediately and will be doing everything in my power to avoid it! I might pick up a couple of bottles if I see some at a good price, just in case, but will leave buying a steriliser and breast pump til I know they'll be needed :thumbup:

I haven't leaked at all yet but I know that doesn't mean anything in terms of being able to produce milk after LO is here. I really hope I can, though, and that LO takes to it. I think I'm scared of not being able to partly because for some reason I wouldn't bf as a baby and had to go onto formula very soon after being born. I hope baby doesn't take after me!

Thankyou for all your kind messages about little Alistair! Hes adorable but how am i going to say no to his little grumpy face with his lip out :haha:

On about bottles and sterilisers - MIL bought us a newborn starter set and steriliser on sale when i was about 4 weeks pregnant so we have them just incase but i will be mainly breastfeeding (hopefully) but may express for a night off a week so i can sleep!

Uninterested familys - this makes me mad, my mum is not bothered at all, this is her first grandchild and she asked to come to 20 week scan, it got to the time and she refused to answer my calls or texts... she works in a shop for next to no money a week and it isnt even a proper job, she can have anytime off she wants but she claimed she couldn't yesterday for the 4d scan, she hasn't even asked how i am or anything all pregnancy and she lives a 10 minute walk away she doesn't care at all but thinks baby will be going to hers to sleep etc.. she told my brother "babies are just a blob until they come out" and thats why she didn't come to my scan, she had a stillborn baby at 24 weeks before i was born so she knows for a fact they aren't a blob.. its really making me mad shes acting like this, i find it disgusting!!:growlmad: :growlmad:

Kel- I love your nursery!

Congrats to those ladies celebrating anniversaries!
LOL Although it is making me feel old as I seem to have been married a bit longer than most of you.

Mrs. Eleflump sorry to hear that you have had to deal with negative comments regarding your bump size I hope that you just shake it off. People can be really ignorant. FX'd that you have a great experience BF. The first few weeks can be really trying, having a great support group around of knowledgeable and experienced ladies is pivotal. We have La Leche League here, not sure what is available in your area but I'd say find that kind of support early on. Also, every baby is different when it comes to being able to switch back and forth from bottle to breast-let alone breastmilk and formula feeds, sometimes this process is a lot of trial and error. :hugs:

My husband and I finally announced to friends and loved ones that we are expecting several days ago. My mom and my SIL have yet to even acknowledge this, let alone congratulate us. It is just hurtful and I am sorry to the other ladies whose loved ones haven't had the kind of reaction that they have hoped for. Luckily we have many other loved ones who are very happy for us and hopefully you all have the same.

Kel- I love your nursery!

Congrats to those ladies celebrating anniversaries!
LOL Although it is making me feel old as I seem to have been married a bit longer than most of you.

Mrs. Eleflump sorry to hear that you have had to deal with negative comments regarding your bump size I hope that you just shake it off. People can be really ignorant. FX'd that you have a great experience BF. The first few weeks can be really trying, having a great support group around of knowledgeable and experienced ladies is pivotal. We have La Leche League here, not sure what is available in your area but I'd say find that kind of support early on. Also, every baby is different when it comes to being able to switch back and forth from bottle to breast-let alone breastmilk and formula feeds, sometimes this process is a lot of trial and error. :hugs:

Thank you :)

Below is my bump today (28 weeks). I don't think I'm too huge, so I'm trying to let it wash over me, but I still wish people wouldn't say stuff like that...I'm being closely monitored due to being high risk, so I know baby is fine, but it still puts worries in your head, you know? Plus I struggle to keep my weight down normally so to have all these people going 'ooh, you're HUGE!' isn't nice!

I'm not sure if we have la leche league here, though I have heard of them before. There is a breastfeeding advisor at the hospital, and I'm planning to go to an antenatal bf workshop once I'm on maternity leave, so hopefully will be in contact with people who can help from that. Part of the 'normal' antenatal course is about breastfeeding too. They're very keen for people to breastfeed but I don't know how good the support is if it doesn't go smoothly.

Ooh, yeah, it's my wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks too! This will be our 4th wedding anniversary, and we will have our 11 year anniversary of being together in December. We took a while to get in a position to get married, but we were married 8 months after he proposed :dance: I don't know if we're doing anything special for it...it's a Saturday this year, so maybe a daytrip somewhere if the weather's nice, but hubby isn't much of one for making a massive deal out of things like birthdays, Christmas, anniversaries etc. As long as I get a card from him and we make some sort of effort to mark the day, I'm good, lol.

When I was pumping I just used Milton to sterilise as your not using a great deal of equipment. Just the pump bits and a bottle.

Oh my word, you are far from being huge! Your bump is lovely. It makes you wonder how often those people who give you such awful comments are around pregnant ladies?!

Congrats on 11 years together in Dec.!! For us it will be our 15 years anni in Jan., we were together for a year before getting married. We are the same and do not usually make a big deal out of things, but it seems like an achievement these days so we may take a trip.

It's my 5th wedding anniversary 2nd October but 12 years together then also.

Oh my word, you are far from being huge! Your bump is lovely. It makes you wonder how often those people who give you such awful comments are around pregnant ladies?!

Congrats on 11 years together in Dec.!! For us it will be our 15 years anni in Jan., we were together for a year before getting married. We are the same and do not usually make a big deal out of things, but it seems like an achievement these days so we may take a trip.

You are an angel :hugs: thank you for your kind words! My boss never had kids, but there have been two other pregnant ladies in my department in the last year, both of whom were about the same size as me at this stage, so she should know I'm not abnormally large. The others making comments...they are either women with small grandchildren, or mothers with young children themselves, so I can't understand the distorted perception there!

Wow, congratulations on your upcoming 15 year anniversary! Definitely celebrate it...it is an achievement!

Ljo, that is a really good idea about the Milton...if all goes as I hope, and I can bf and pump for going back to work, a basin with Milton in it might be more economical than a steriliser, though I know they don't have to cost a fortune.

I don't understand why people think that they have a right to say anything either way. We have probably all seen those ladies who DO get abnormally large (and are not expecting multiples) but why say something negative? It's just mean. Being that large is incredibly uncomfortable. I have never felt anything but compassion for those mommas with large bellies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->