One Born>?

Bournefree

Reaction score
I know there will prob be lots of other threads buzzing on Babyandbump discussing tonights first episode of the second series of One Born Every Minute on channel 4 (uk) - however, I wanted to know, as natural mums, how do you feel about it and will you be watch it?

I watched the first series, but that was after my DD was born - I'm perhaps glad that I didn't watch it before hand. Reason is - I end up either tutting, or getting quite vocal at the tv. Along the lines of "oh, no, come on girl you can do it you don't need the drip or epidural, you were doing fine!" "get off your back!" "I can see where this one is going - theatre!" "she has been totally left, is scared, and doesn't know what is going on!".. and many others!

So I'm going to be watching it - but have been banned to the bedroom by OH!

I tried to write to the programme a couple of times and emplore them to show more natural births and also to show a homebirth - as they are not showing all the availiable birth choices for women. I even offered when I found out I was pregnant this time round for them to come to my birth (though, july is going to be a bit late for them! :)

So, how does it make you feel? :shrug:
If you are not in the UK you can watch it tomorrow at www.channel4.com
xXx

I struggle to watch these programs now after my experience in hospital I'm either angry or jealous.

Good question!

I didnt bother watching it at Christmas because I too just end up growling at the telly!! :lol: I probably wont bother watching for the same reasons. Unfortunately, a calm, quiet birth with no drama isnt (apparently) very entertaining to the general public. It's a shame because it perpetuates the myth that child birth is always a medical drama with screaming women who cant cope and NEED the hospitals to save them.......

Actually....mind made up....I am DEFINITELY not watching!! :rofl:

I can't help but watch I'm afraid! Yes, I will be shouting at the midwives and the mothers telling them that they're doing it all wrong too!!! xx

Should have added, that no matter how many births I watch on tv and no matter how they all get born, I always cry! xx

Oh yes me too - at that moment when baby arrives is just magic!!
xxx

Well it's all over, and it has totally confirmed that homebirth is for me - Our birth was so removed from these ladies' experiences.

How stressful must it be to hear another labouring women screaming? I'm not saying that everyone should be as quiet as a mouse - but if the walls are thin, it would be very scary.. which couldn't possibly help.
And we haven't seen any births (yet) in anyother positions others than laying on the bed sitting on bums. Why isn't a change of position mentioned? Arhhhh!!
I'm feeling sad for these mummies.

Will I be watching next week?
Yes you bet I will!

What gets me is they never got up off the bed and moved around or changed positions as someone else said, i don't know about anyone else but i want to move around and find the right position for me not be tied to a bed on my back, thats how i was with DD and it was hell, not doing that again!!

I have to have my baby in hospital due to complications but i still want it done my way or no way, unless theres an emergancy in which case all i care about is a healthy baby! I also will probably have to be induced but i hope i don't have to be on a drip and stay in the bed...this is my worst nightmare xx

This wasn't pleasant watching, and am so glad we are planning a homebirth. Still, as a first-time mum, not really knowing what to expect, it was a bit scary... I've been re-assured that it's not like this "normally" but yikes... Am glad to be having my well-informed hubby and a great doula at my homebirth. I thought the 18-year-old was pretty spectacular though (and apparently she's a BnB member, as they are saying over in Third Trimester).

I watched tonight and for the first time at Christmas. Hadn't heard of it before. Like you Bourne the first thing I thought when I first saw it was why are they on their backs? At Christmas it was a live show and they had a quick tour of a delivery room with a low bed to help with different positions and a birthing ball etc yet every birth I've seen on it has been on those high delivery beds on their backs. At Christmas there was one woman who came in and stood swaying against her husband until she was ready to go when they promptly got her on the bed on her back to deliver. I mean WTF?

But I always cry at every birth. Even if I'm only paying half attention and my back's turned the second that baby comes out I cry like a reflex! :rofl:

Oh this makes me so sad.. im just watching it now and this girl screaming is scaring me nevermind the other women!! :rofl: I keep shouting.. get off the bed!! :dohh:

I was quite loud with my first labour, but more from panic, i never expected that much pain and i was holding my breath through contractions trying to stop them :dohh: But no way could i have stayed on the bed.. :shock: It hurt so much more!

My second was much better once id figured out breathing helps haha Im so glad to be planning a home birth this time!

A first-time mum here and with a planned homebirth - after tonights episode I'm so bloody glad I made this decision!! Although I haven't had the experience yet, I found myself souting at the telly for that woman to move off her back... and to shut up lol!! (anyone notice the midwife smilling to herself?!)

Although I don't particularly enjoy watching that programme, I have chosen to watch it, just to remind myself that my labour will be nothing like theirs, but quietly and calmly in a pool in the comfort of my own home (Ooooh I really do hope...)!

i watched it as i love seeing babies being born haha .

homebirth for me this time , but not cus of bad experiences or anything in fact really my hopsital births were good.

but i was shouting at them to get off their backs too ..and the screaming lady bless her she didnt handle it very well at all did she . at least at home i wont have that racket in the next room lol

Oh yes me too - at that moment when baby arrives is just magic!!
xxx

That's my problem I missed out on it all that so I can't watch it.

I was awake for my CS but alone and had to ask if he was out when I heard crying on the other side of the room :cry::growlmad:

Not watching anymore! I agree that they only show the drama. After that woman was effing and blinding I was really put off. Much prefer a Baby Story as it shows all kind of births. Want my first labour to be amazing and calm to will prepare myself in every way to ensure that happens.

Good luck ladies!

im gatecrashing! When i was in labour (in hospital) last march with my first baby, me and my midwife were discussing one born every minute and she said she didnt like the fact that it always seemed to choose complicated births or ones where the woman wasnt coping very well, we both agreed that it probably made for more 'exciting' tv but it didnt truly represent labour.She said that wigan was actaully asked to do a series but turned it down and i joked i could have been a tv star and she said no your coping far too well!!!

I had a lovely hospital birth went in when i was 4cm on a tens machine, started on gas and air at 7cm and gave birth with no problems other than a tear.Both the midwives said they didnt want to see me back as next time i should have a homebirth! I was mobile throughout and never once was strapped down to the bed, that would have been the type of birth that i would have liked to watch on a programme rather than ones which always end happily but are somewhat less straightforward!!

I heard there's a waterbirth on tomorrow if anyone wants to watch. I may try to catch it.

Hi

Before having my youngest I would have been watching the programme and saying the same as other posters here; however some labours are more painful than others and we don't see the whole story/picture of the ladies on this programme, often they are in labour for considerably longer than the programme presents to us; and they are feeling pretty desperate by the time the cameras are on. Also I realise from having my youngest; that every birth experience is different and may not go according to how you planned it.

I had a homebirth last time and booked for one this time, however this time where we live was inaccessible due to the snow, we could just about get out ourselves so we had to go to the hospital. In many ways I am glad I did go to the hospital, previously I had progressively faster and easier labours they were only terribly painful right before the pushing stage so I thought this one would be the same, in reality it was the worst one out of four and it was nothing to do with the hospital experience but the fact he was in a non-optimal position. I am glad now we did go to hospital because I don't think I could have handled it at home. He was head down but facing left and at a funny angle, and so I had been having irregular but extremely painful contractions for 48 hours before even going into hospital and I was already feeling extremely worn down. Then when we got there I was staying active but upon being examined I was only 1cm dilated; extremely disheartening considering I felt like I did at 9cm with my others; then things did start to progress far more quickly but the pain was far more intense than with any of my others and the feeling of pressure was much, much worse. I did overdo the gas and air but it did really help me to cope, and I did lie down on my side with my head end of the bed slightly raised; because it was the only position that helped. In the end I was glad I was lying down because he ended up shooting out when the midwife was not in the room (so even though it was a hospital birth; in that sense it was unassisted!). I now would never judge any other lady and how she handles things; even if it leads to further intervention.

Having had a 35hr labour and assisted delivery myself together with a failed epidural I would never judge how a woman handles labour but I will judge how the hospital appear to handle a woman's care. Of course we don't see it all but in some of the episodes I've seen I am certain we've seen enough to judge.

I heard there's a waterbirth on tomorrow if anyone wants to watch. I may try to catch it.

I'm looking forward to seeing the water birth!
I wonder if she will get out for the birth? :shrug: I hope not.
xXx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->