Over 40 Natural BFP with DHEA CoQ10 Vitex Black Cohosh Low AMH

Peacebaby, I would advise people to stop the DHEA w/the BFP. Based on recommendations of RE's who use it for IVF. It did it's work, and too much testosterone isn't good for developing embryos.

I personally stopped right after ovulation the month I concieved because that month I had noticable side effects from it, felt maybe Testosterone too high. My free Testosterone basically doubled on DHEA, from 1.2 to 2.4 pg/ml, which isn't anything like what PCOS women have or anything, but I HAD side effects.

That month I had increased to 50 mg (25 mg 2x/daily) and pretty much w/in a few days got large painful cystic acne on my usually unblemished face. Also, my clitoris (sorry TMI) felt really WEIRD! It was sort of painful/sensitive and not in a good way. It made me tired instead of energized. Just felt wrong to me.

Month of my BFP had my DHEA level checked on CD 13, the day I O'd, and it was 374.88 ug/dl . Normal for 40-49 yr olds is 32-240, and for 18-19 yr olds it is 145-395, so i think the boost def. helped, but I think getting my level to that of a young woman over time, (7 mos) w/a lower dose helped, while not impacting my ability to concieve during supplementation. See how you feel on it. If you can't get a blood test, go by excess testosterone symptoms/severity, and dose accordingly.

I read a post somewhere by a respected RE who mentioned that DHEA may work using a very low dose over a long period of time, or a higher dose (the 75mg/day), but that you could actually be LESS fertile while taking it.

For AMA/ DOR, some IVF patients take 75 mg for 3 mos then 4th month start IVF. I wasn't doing IVF, or using any meds, so I erred on the side of caution, and wanted to try a safer? dose.

DHEA definitely negatively impacted my cycle when I used too much. E.G. Short cycle, early O, decreased blood flow, (indicates lining problems) Also, instead of increased energy, I actually felt tired/exhausted (because I later found out, my cortisol level must have been lowered too much). Instead of increased desire, had less....

When I was younger, bled heavier/longer, and my cycles have varied past couple years. You have a better chance of conception with months your period (actual days of bleeding) is longer. I read again somewhere? that you still have 2 good years of decent fertility potential once your periods shorten in perimenopause..

If I hadn't gotten pregnant in September I was going to try accupuncture next month. Once before O, and once during implantation window, to see if that helped. If you are on a limited budget, those are 2 best times to do it.

Honestly though, like I mentioned in orig post, masturbation increases blood flow to that area too in a very natural way, and it was recommended to a friend of mine who DID do accupuncture, so I increased my frequency like it was mandatory exercise for my ovaries/uterus!

Ladies I am thinking of adding DHEA to my regime but would like to check my DHEA level first. How do you do it? is it a blood test? my testosterone levels seems to be within norm 1.58 (norm is between 0.31 and 3.78), does it say anything about my DHEA level?

It's a simple blood test (DHEAS) but it's expensive, so your insurance may or may not cover it depending....

See my above post about stopping DHEA. My testosterone was 1.2 before the DHEA supps, then doubled to 2.4, I got side effects, like some hair loss which I I forgot to mention above.

awww congratulations!!! I had my dd when i was 43...she is now 1 and a half. I like to give others hope too. I have older children but started again and fell pregnant with my dd at 38, had her at 39 then fell pregnant very quickly 5 months later lol..and had my ds after i was 40. I then fell pregnant at 42 and had my dd at 43. All natural! So there you go. Goodluck with your pregnancy. All my pregnancies have been great with no issues. Im had all mine now and quite content.

Mumoffive wow that's great! Were you taking any supplements?

Nottrusty hope your results are all good, prayers for you xxxx

I know what you mean about the DHEA, its a bit of a doubled edged sword...it can work wonders for egg quality but then if testosterone gets too high it can cause more fertility problems.

Briss if you can get a test after taking it for a while it would be safer as you could then adjust the dosage accordingly or like Nottrusty stop it if necessary. EDIT: I see you're in the UK...you can easily get testosterone checked by your GP, just say you'd like a cd3 hormone check including testosterone. Its more important to know that testosterone doesn't get out of hand while you're taking DHEA. I don't think your current testosterone level tells you much about your DHEA level but taking the supplement increases both levels and you need to keep testosterone in the normal range.

Question for you ladies.

I have heard some only drink the nettle leaf tea after O.

What are your thoughts on this and why not take it all cycle?

I've never read or heard that Milty so I can't say why. I took it consistently for 10 wks before bfp and i'm still drinking the tea. As I said there is a general warning about it because its a herb but I can tell you it is highly recommended by the Zita West clinic nutritionist.

I was first told about it by an acupuncturist who took it throughout her 1st pregnancy. I didn't pay much attention until I began researching immune issues...I found a few success stories on Dr Beers immunology yahoo support group. One lady knew she had immune issues but couldn't afford the treatment. She took nettle leaf extract for a few months, as well as various other supplements like fish oil, Coq10 etc and had a successful pregnancy. I found that studies in Germany indicated its anti-inflammatory properties. It's most useful quality is that it is packed with a full spectrum of vitamins and minerals and therefore it nourishes the blood - healthy blood improves fertility generally.

Mumoffive wow that's great! Were you taking any supplements?

Nottrusty hope your results are all good, prayers for you xxxx

I know what you mean about the DHEA, its a bit of a doubled edged sword...it can work wonders for egg quality but then if testosterone gets too high it can cause more fertility problems.

Briss if you can get a test after taking it for a while it would be safer as you could then adjust the dosage accordingly or like Nottrusty stop it if necessary. EDIT: I see you're in the UK...you can easily get testosterone checked by your GP, just say you'd like a cd3 hormone check including testosterone. Its more important to know that testosterone doesn't get out of hand while you're taking DHEA. I don't think your current testosterone level tells you much about your DHEA level but taking the supplement increases both levels and you need to keep testosterone in the normal range.

No, i havent ever taken anything except for vitamins just incase i fell pregnant....you know so i was ok with my folic acid, so dont think they were anything to do with it. I just think the statistics are so negative for when you are older. I was put on a 'red pathway' when i was past 40 and pregnant because is suppose i was at higher risk and they made me see a consultant. In reality, i never had any issue with any pregnancy...labour birth or otherwise. I never had any tests and all my children were born perfectly healthy. Anway, i really wish everyone all the luck for a bfp in the New year!!!

Question for you ladies.

I have heard some only drink the nettle leaf tea after O.

What are your thoughts on this and why not take it all cycle?

Milty I'm wondering whether what you've heard is about drinking the tea after O is red raspberry leaf tea rather then nettle leaf tea? They have different constituents and actions.

Also, I'd be interested in the research you read about the nettle tea balancing AF and easing blood clots. I haven't found that bit.

It could have been that.

Most of what I've read was from Dr google but some was from a lady who runs a Heath food store.

I have been on nettle tea (every day) and red raspberry leaf tea + red clover (from CD1 to O, not recommended after O cos they can cause uterine contractions) since April. I am sure it does a lot of good but I cant really say I notice any difference

How would you say your AF typically is?

Do you have any problems with it?

Briss yes with red clover and red raspberrry leaf best not to risk the uterine contractions so stopping at Ov is a good idea.

I stopped RRL for this reason and replaced it with nettle - it just felt safer but i will start RRL again later for its benefits in labour. One option is to alternate between the two - that way your body is not overwhelmed and you still get the benefits.

Susan Weed suggests that making a herbal infusion (longer brewing) with the nettle leaves gives better absorption of higher quantities of the vitamins. So I use the loose leaves and make the tea with a tablespoon of the herb at night (if you have tea bags cut the bag & just use the leaves), leaving it overnight to infuse really well and the next day use half of that & top it up with hot water so I get 2 cups of a really strong brew. I must say doing this has helped bring my iron levels into the normal range from previously being chronically low.

How would you say your AF typically is?

Do you have any problems with it?

I did not have any problem with my AF (apart from clots) until I had lap/hysteroscopy which kinda screwed my cycle and AF turned almost black in colour for a few months and then I started spotting for 1-2 days before and after AF. I do not think it's the effect of the teas, I am sure it's because of hysteroscopy and the piece they'd taken for biopsy. I am now doing chinese acu+herbs which will hopefully help with the spotting but I continue with the teas.

I have also read Susan Weed's book but making a herbal infusion just takes much longer, besides I spend most of my time at work so cant really drink anything but tea bags. At home I have dried leaves of all these herbs. i am also using nettle tea as a substitute for my morning latte, it took a while to get used to but I think it's working

Briss yes with red clover and red raspberrry leaf best not to risk the uterine contractions so stopping at Ov is a good idea.

I stopped RRL for this reason and replaced it with nettle - it just felt safer but i will start RRL again later for its benefits in labour. One option is to alternate between the two - that way your body is not overwhelmed and you still get the benefits.

Susan Weed suggests that making a herbal infusion (longer brewing) with the nettle leaves gives better absorption of higher quantities of the vitamins. So I use the loose leaves and make the tea with a tablespoon of the herb at night (if you have tea bags cut the bag & just use the leaves), leaving it overnight to infuse really well and the next day use half of that & top it up with hot water so I get 2 cups of a really strong brew. I must say doing this has helped bring my iron levels into the normal range from previously being chronically low.

that's great! I have super low iron level so maybe after several months on daily nettle tea it finally inreased

notrustyyet,
thank you for all of the info you've posted.
is "tcm" = traditional chinese medicine?

also, do you have any links or resources regarding menstruation and ttc?

notrustyyet,
thank you for all of the info you've posted.
is "tcm" = traditional chinese medicine?

also, do you have any links or resources regarding menstruation and ttc?

Here's a link to egg quality and cycle:

https://www.fertility.ca/2008/06/how-your-menstrual-cycle-reflects-your-egg-quality/

Also, there is a lot of info in the Randine Lewis book on quality of menstrual cycle (color, eg bright red blood vs dark, days of bleeding etc) and how TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) reads from that your hormonal status/fertility. Maybe I can find some excerpts online...

PS Good news, my Harmony blood test that tests for the 3 major trisomies came back "low risk", and that is 99.5% accurate, but my husband really wants me to do amnio as well....but looks like DHEA and CoQ10 really did help egg quality, esp. considering my age, geneticist told me that 90% of what can go wrong is the trisomies, DS being most common.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->