Pagan mummies

Non-practicing pagan mummy/mummy-to-be :) :wave:

I found Paganims back when I was turning 16, ended up running a forum! Although i actually let it slide when I was at uni. I got put off by all the bitchyness and infighting that started to happen in my community, much the same as the old owner did when he handed it over to me.

At uni I met some of the people that I'd known for years on the forum and they were lovely, but then I also had to work and study and my whole faith just slide away from me. Which was a shame.

I still attempt to observe the sabbats, but now as a working mother it's hard!

I'd love to raise Tegan and this baby as Pagan's, my upbringing was a non-practicing Christian one and my OH's mother is a "faddy" pagan but never really pushed her ideals onto him or his brother but kinda made them more aware of the world.

We never got round to doing a naming ceremony for Tegan, we'd always meant to but it just never happened! And now she's a getting older and knows her own mind etc... She'll find her own path to walk when she's older.

I think with this pregnancy (and the fact that I'm currently off work sick with chicken pox!) I've started to think more about Paganism again. Maybe because it's been 10 years since I first started looking in to it, I don't know, or the fact that last week I caught Tegs pulling out one of my books from the depths of the book case (Ritual by Emma Restall Orr).

At the moment I kinda don't know where my beliefs stand, I still believe in the God and Goddess and I definately empathise with the mother aspect of the Goddess now :lol: but apart from that I really don't know where to go!

So hi! I'm Leigh :) :wave:

I think it is hard to try and raise/consider raising child in any faith that isn't the most recognized - in these parts it is Catholicism that tends to dominate, and anything that goes against the grain tends to be looked on oddly. Which isn't fair, but I guess that's the way the cookie crumbles. Although I intend to try raising our children in the Pagan ways... I guess we will have to see when it happens.

I guess my objectives would be to raise my children in a Goddess tradition from the beginning.. so these things would seem natural and normal to them. I actually think this can incorporate quite well into some of the conventional ways of celebrating.. for instance, the sabbat Ostara is usually on a different day than the widely celebrated Easter.. so my children will celebrate Ostara at home with us, and then have Easter with their grandparents. Same with Yule and Christmas - we'll celebrate gift giving and have a ceremony on the solstice, and still have presents, etc with the family on Christmas.

I think for me it will be harder to daily incorporate some Pagan traditions.. but those books mentioned before I own and have read :thumbup: So they have good info there.

I've also considered going to the local Unitarian church.. is this an option for anyone else?

I think that as far as raising my son and future child/ren I wouldn't want to enforce any kind of religion on them only because I think faith is a personal choice. I want to educate my children that there are many different faiths and that they are all connected. I also want to teach them the respect for nature and balance in life and the world that paganism ephasizes.

Other than that just general moral values and things like openmindedness acceptance (not tolerance... who would want to be tolerated :shrug:), love, kindness, compassion, giving freely of oneself, loving oneself and things like that are my focus.

The balance of God/Goddess in the world and feminine and male energies. Basic gender equality... I want to teach by example though not by text or word. I really would love to have my kids learn about all different religions and one day choose their own path like I did.

I agree with you both, since you both make very valid points. It's a lot to consider either way, since it is a complete lifestyle and not something that could just be tossed around or used/practiced when convient.

What is a unitarian church?

Can I join in? I've been studying and practicing Wicca for nearly 10 years now. I've always been solitary but I'm looking at taking classes at the local shop to meet others near me. I admit since I started at university my practice has had to take a backseat to other things but I am trying to fix that.

I haven't raised my daughter in paganism because I think that religion is a very personal choice and I don't want to push her into anything. I expose her to multiple paths and time will tell which she wants to follow. I plan on doing the same with any future children we have. Of course I would be thrilled if she decided to practice paganism or Wicca but it's not for everyone.

I agree with you both, since you both make very valid points. It's a lot to consider either way, since it is a complete lifestyle and not something that could just be tossed around or used/practiced when convient.

What is a unitarian church?

It's a church that teaches a variety of religious beliefs.. like monotheism, paganism, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc. It has a different focus each week. At least that's the idea - not that all the churches are really "true" to it. This is what Wikipedia says:

"Unitarian Universalism is a religious community characterized by support for a "free and responsible search for truth and meaning".[1] Unitarian Universalists do not share a creed; rather, they are unified by their shared search for spiritual growth and by the understanding that an individual's theology is a result of that search and not obedience to an authoritarian requirement. Unitarian Universalists draw on many different theological sources and have a wide range of beliefs and practices."

The one in my town does tend to lean towards Judeo-Christian overtones in their sermons.. but, it is a friendly atmosphere, and I like that they're open to all discussion about religions.

I feel like Paganism, and especially the way I believe and practice, is open-minded enough that I could bring my future children up following the Goddess, but without imposing my religion, per se, and allowing him or her the ability to draw their own conclusions about what they believe. It's important to me to give my children a spiritual upbringing. But I'd be happy if they branched out and discovered other religions.. that's kind of what Paganism is about, isn't it? Finding your own path to Divinity?

It's such a big deal, raising a kid. I don't even have one yet and I can already tell it's going to be an amazing journey. :flower:

It's important to me to give my children a spiritual upbringing. But I'd be happy if they branched out and discovered other religions.. that's kind of what Paganism is about, isn't it? Finding your own path to Divinity?

That's how I feel! I really want my kids to have a sense of their own spirituality and I want them to be aware of other faiths.

I guess my main fear in imposing a certain religion is that I went to catholic school and it was very hard for me to be in that environment. I asked all kinds of questions no one seemed to ever be able to answer and there were lots of things I liked but lots I couldn't see as being true for me.

For example I love the teachings of Jesus. I even did a religion paper called 'Jesus as a Shaman'. It's just other things I didn't understand like the following of the bible and how the bible changes after the birth of Christ but people still look at the old Test.

No one could ever seem to address my concerns and I knew it wasn't for me not because it was wrong but because they were asking me to follow it blindly. I guess I am affraid of doing the same thing to my child :nope:

Can I join in? I've been studying and practicing Wicca for nearly 10 years now.

Nope sorry has to be 11 years or more :haha: Kidding of course! Welcome!!!

I have tried finding pagan parenting sites but it's hard to find ones that are active like this board. It's nice to know there are people here who share my beliefs!!! :hugs:

I don't think you'd really be capable of doing that, since you know what it's like and you'll spend the whole time encouraging and answering questions. You'll help your children feel enlightened and empowered, instead of confused. :hugs: I grew up in a 'Catholic' household too.. by which I mean, my mother said we were Catholic, but we saw almost no proof of that in our house - beyond an archaic view of what was 'right' and 'wrong' and occasional mass.

I definitely grew jaded towards Catholicism and then Christianity in general because of just what you say, the 'blind faith' and the inability or unwillingness to answer questions.. and people always looking at you crazy for asking them lol. Now that I'm older I can see the beauty in all religions and types faith, and I do think Catholicism in particular is a beautiful religion full of old traditions.. but it just doesn't resonate with me on a level the way Goddess traditions do. I was kind of a misguided kid; raging against "the man" and mainstream religion :)haha:), but as I got older, wiser, and more mellow, I came to appreciate and understand them more. So I hope I'll be able to help my child grasp this from the beginning, instead of the twisty and sometimes angst-ridden journey I found to acceptance.

I'm fascinated by Jesus in historical context, too, and also as a symbolic figure. I've also read Anne Rice's Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt and Christ the Lord: Road to Cana which is told from Jesus' first person perspective in a fictional context.. it's quite interesting lol. I'm pretty intrigued by ancient and modern Jewish teachings too.

I guess I don't ever get tired of learning about other peoples' religious views :)

You are so right. It becomes easy to feel trapped and just fight back. It's so funny because lots of pagans I have met became interested at a young age in an effort to rebel against strictly organized religion and then as they got older, wiser, and less rebelious they found that those beliefs stuck with them. I think that spirituality as a family is a beautiful thing. I have always seeked out new religions because as a child even though I went to catholic school and mum said we were christian... we never prayed together or went to church or anything. I really do want to give him a sense of spirituality!!!

Can I join in? I've been studying and practicing Wicca for nearly 10 years now.

Nope sorry has to be 11 years or more :haha: Kidding of course! Welcome!!!

I have tried finding pagan parenting sites but it's hard to find ones that are active like this board. It's nice to know there are people here who share my beliefs!!! :hugs:

:thumbup:

I've had some tough luck finding pagan parenting sites too. Some of the most active pagan sites that I'm on just don't seem to have a large community of parents, either that or it's just not talked about often. :shrug: I was really happy to find this thread.

I'm fascinated by Jesus in historical context, too, and also as a symbolic figure. I've also read Anne Rice's Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt and Christ the Lord: Road to Cana which is told from Jesus' first person perspective in a fictional context.. it's quite interesting lol. I'm pretty intrigued by ancient and modern Jewish teachings too.

I guess I don't ever get tired of learning about other peoples' religious views :)

If you liked books like the Anne Rice ones you may end up liking The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ by Phillip Pullman. It's another alternative fictional account of Jesus' life. Pullman splits the character of Jesus up into twins, one named Jesus one named Christ. I thought it was a really good read and it did make me think about how the mythos around Jesus was formed. Pullman is a pretty outspoken atheist so there is that slant in there but he's not disrespectful.

Thanks! It does sound like something I'd like to read.

Does anybody have any plans for Lughnasadh?

I'll probably end up doing a small ritual/meditation. Nothing elaborate. I may have to do it a day or two early or late as well, it all depends on when I can get some time to myself.

Does anybody have any plans for Lughnasadh?

Honestly I haven't made any plans. I have really not be observing any celebrations since the baby was born. I only have a small altar in our bedroom on the top shelf of a bookcase. My larger altar was taken down when I got married only because I had to make room for DH's stuff when he moved in. I am curious to know anyone else's plans!

I'll probably end up doing a small ritual/meditation. Nothing elaborate. I may have to do it a day or two early or late as well, it all depends on when I can get some time to myself.

The beauty is that if you believe meditations transcend time and space you are never late or early... now if that could only apply to everything :haha:

I'm introducing oh slowly to Paganism.. I don't expect her to convert or even believe what I do, but because I want to raise our future children pagan, and she agreed, I think it's best for her to have a passing familiarity with the sabbats and certain rituals.

We're going to bake a pie from scratch and a loaf of wheat bread, and weave stalks of wheat into wreaths and pentacles. we'll both learn about the festival and how it wad celebrate in ancient times.

I always found Lughnasadh and Mabon hard to practice, especially since or culture in general and our lives in particular no longer depends on the harvest in its various collection. It's hard to relate to these holidays, especially when we have Thanksgiving that includes celebration of the harvest as one of ots main pointts, along with the other things.. Like gratitude and good will towards others and pilgrims yadda yadda. How am I going to stress the importance of these two smaller holidays to my kids when our whole country celebrates Thanksgiving?

Just something to think about.. How would you/do you share these harvest holidays with your kids?

(sorry about any typos,.updating from phone!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->