PCOS Club!

Hi ladies, can I join?
Had my first appt with my fertility consultant this week following 18+ months of ttc! I have slightly irregular cycles but generally have one every 5 weeks, although I don't always ovulate!
The Dr told me I have mild pcos and am at the low end if the spectrum, so she told me not to worry about it and not start googling it etc and thinking I had some major condition (but of course the first thing I did was google it ha)

I wanted to ask tho, I've read that there is a link sometimes between pcos and insulin! The thing is I very often suffer from low blood sugar, I get the shakes, sweats, lack of concentration etc and am now wondering if it's because of pcos?

I ovulated this month and the 2 days up to ov it was particularly bad, I was almost passing out and had to rely on dextrose tablets and coke!

Does this sound possible? For info my bmi is 23 and I have been prescribed clomid starting on my next cycle!

Thanx for reading! xx

Insulin Resistance and PCOS are often linked, but not a direct result of each other. I also have insulin resistance, along with my PCOS. Do a little research or ask your dr to check for ya :)

Sma- I am taking EPO I take 1300mg three times daily. Doctor told me to cut back once O is done to 1300mg once daily. I have seen all kinds of improvements like less acne, more energy, less bloating, there are a lot to list but I like taking it. I noticed to it helps with cramps. I hope this helps you out some. I know everyone is different but you have to give it a full month before you can cut back on it or you can take it until you get O and then start flex seed oil. Your body needs the fatty oils.

wow that sounds like alot of the epo everyday. i have only been taking 1 pill a day and im cramping so i dont know if its causing it or not. im on cd 11 and last cycle was 38 days so im hopeing with taking the metformin, EPO,soy(1-5) and prenatels i will have a shorted better cycle.i think i will bump up on the epo next cycle(if there is a next cycle)

Sma - I've been taking EPO for months. I've not really seen any improvement to my acne or anything else. I now stopped it after ovulation.

Courtney - any news???

I'm sitting here waiting for my blood test and there's a couple here waiting for a joint appointment and from there conversation I could tell it's for fertility...

hello ladies,
looks like im gonna settle myself in here if u'll have me!
I've just been diagnosed with pcos today! any help and support would b greatly received girls as i only only sort of know wat im up against!!
cheers ladies
sian xxx

Sian - welcome to the forum!! Did the Dr discuss with you the treatment plan? Did you have blood tests for hormones and an ultrasound? Do you know if you are ovulating?

Ive been diagnosed with PCOS in May and am on Metformin since June and just had my first round of Clomid - waiting for blood results to show whether I ovulated or not.

Sian - welcome to the forum!! Did the Dr discuss with you the treatment plan? Did you have blood tests for hormones and an ultrasound? Do you know if you are ovulating?

Ive been diagnosed with PCOS in May and am on Metformin since June and just had my first round of Clomid - waiting for blood results to show whether I ovulated or not.

hiya maria,
i have to take metformin for a while now:
1 tab a day - for 1 week
2tabs a day - for a week
3tabs a day there after and scheduled for day 21 bloods!
im cd 46 today and all my bloods have show no O so far!!!:cry:
they wont give me clomid till i try this first!

they saw a big follicle in one of my O's and he said it suggests im about to O???
good luck hun, i hope that the clomid has done the trick 4 u xxx

Sian - yeah, a big follicle means you should ovulate soon - like in the next few days! So you better get busy with hubby :haha:

I was also on just the Metformin for 3 months but it didn't do anything for me. But there are ladies that start ovulating on their own with just Metformin! Good Luck xxx

Sian - yeah, a big follicle means you should ovulate soon - like in the next few days! So you better get busy with hubby :haha:

I was also on just the Metformin for 3 months but it didn't do anything for me. But there are ladies that start ovulating on their own with just Metformin! Good Luck xxx

thank u hun thats wat i intend on doing! i just took an opk and low and behold there is a def line which is more than i hav eva had in the past!!
would they normally b there if i wasnt gonna O?? i have no idea so sorry if i sound thick! xx

It's not uncommon to have a second line on ovulation tests even if you are not about to ovulate. But it sounds like in your case you don't get the second line so Id say the line should be getting darker over the next few days. Keep doing the tests until the test line is as dark as the control!!! Then once you get that you will ovulate 12-36 hours after. But better jump hubs now!!!

Sian--OPKs measure the amount of LH in your system because one typically has an LH surge 12-24 hours before ovulating.

However, (and especially in the case of having PCOS) just getting an positive OPK does not tell if you do actually ovulate or not...it just tells you that the LH levels are right for it. The only way to know for sure is ultrasound and progesterone monitoring by your doctor. The fact that you have a growing follicle is a good sign that you may ovulate :thumbup:, but your doctor should do bloodwork to determine your progesterone levels seven days after.

Oh and BBT will also help you determine if you are ovulating or not.

So usually the rule of thumb for determining ovulation with PCOS is: ultrasound, progesterone blood work, and BBT. It is a bit confusing at first :wacko:. My doctor said only to bother with OPKs if I want to because being on Clomid can give you false positives, especially right after taking it.

welcome to all the new ppl....i hope the metformin works for you. i think it worked for me with taking the soy with it. i had my first cycle on my own in a very long time from it. i had to use provera the first time i was on the met to jump start me and it worked

me and OH had a talk over dinner last night and have decided if i have not got prego by dec. then we will be making a trip down to get a SA its about a 3 hr drive from where i live but we will turn it into a mini vacation, that way i can be put on clomid if needed because they wont do that untill he has been tested

Maria- I didn't test this morning. I'm kinda waiting to see how long I can go before I REALLY feel the need to test. For some reason, I'm starting to feel like I don't need to :shrug: I'm sure in a few days it will get to me, but for now, I can wait. Also, my breasts are not as sensitive anymore. How are yours doing? Do you have any symptoms?

I'm not sure what to think about my newest kick. For some odd reason, I have to have a LOT of water ALL the time. It has been so bad the last few days! I'm even eating cucumbers like crazy. I know that they have a lot of water in them and they taste soooo good :haha: I'm avoiding thinking of this as a symptom, but boy oh boy, this is getting bad. I bought 2 big cucumbers yesterday and I have to go back today so I can get more :wacko: I don't even like cucumbers all that much :dohh: I wonder, does the progesterone do this? I know that it is what causes the breast tenderness because it causes us to retain water and engorges our breasts. But why would I need so much more water if I am already retaining it? Maybe I am lacking something and my body is trying to get it any way it can?

Sma - we said that if I don't fall by November on just Clomid we'll go down the route of testing hubby too! :)

Courtney - I've been desparately symptom-spotting and there's nothing :( my boobs are back to super sore though. But I don't have any other cramps/cravings/feeling tired/peeing more often....So I don't know what to think...I know for some women symptoms don't kick in at all, but that doesn't really reassure me! Lol!

I think ill test tomorrow. I have an urge to POAS :) And am hoping to get bloods back tomorrow afternoon

Do you have any CM? I have quite a bit of lotiony cm

Sma - we said that if I don't fall by November on just Clomid we'll go down the route of testing hubby too! :)

Courtney - I've been desparately symptom-spotting and there's nothing :( my boobs are back to super sore though. But I don't have any other cramps/cravings/feeling tired/peeing more often....So I don't know what to think...I know for some women symptoms don't kick in at all, but that doesn't really reassure me! Lol!

I think ill test tomorrow. I have an urge to POAS :) And am hoping to get bloods back tomorrow afternoon

Do you have any CM? I have quite a bit of lotiony cm

I have some creamy CM and my cervix is low and soft. I still have some cramps here and there. Did they do a pregnancy test too when you had your bloods drawn? Depending on how long it takes for your reply, I might not get back to you for a while. I am in a desperate need for a nap :sleep: I had so much trouble getting up this morning and I just can't stay awake much longer :nope:

thanks for the answers girls, i think were just gonna bd for a good few days and not use OPks and just hope for the best! xx

well for us it will be a little over 2 years of trying but 1 year after my lap and 7 months of being on the metformin so to me its just waaaay to long for nothing to happen. but im really hope we dont have to go for that and its only a vacation. hopefully by then i will be prego and not have to worry about being broken anymore

Hi all,
I just thought id say hi...
Im on Clomid 100mg day 2, is anyone else at the same stage as me?

How is everyone today?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"