piercing baby's ears???

Im a big believer that even though our LO's are just babies right now, their body is still their temple so i feel with something like this it should be their say. So until they are old enough to have their say about it, i think mum's should stick with only doing things that benefit the child. Getting ears pierced when they're babies (if not for cultural reasons ) imo is all for the parents enjoyment and that's not something i personally agree with. I am a tattooed and body pierced mother too... so i am all for that sort of thing, and wouldn't care if my son got tattooed from head to tow when he gets older. :)

But then again i grew up with a mother that treated me like i was her little doll and made me do a lot of things that i didn't want, but had no say because she owned me. So my view is tainted from that.

After reading all 11pages, I don't see any argument, if anything this has been a calm and level headed opinion sharing.

My take on it, and this is my opinion, but I wouldn't get my babys ears pierced because I want her to make the choice and I also think that babies with pierced ears look chavvy. (please remember this is my opinion, I don't think anyone is a bad mum for doing it I just think it looks wrong)

Wouldn't do it as sure as I haven't circ'd either of my sons, that should say what I think of it :)

Meh different folks different strokes. My Lo ears aren't done she so cute I couldn't risk making her any cuter someone might have tried to steal her ;) but seriously this is the silliest thing ppl argue over esp when they compare it to cricing. Idk why ppl are so concern what others do with their kids esp on silly topics like this.

I think for the people who don't like/agree with the piercing that for them (and me!) it's just inflicting unnecessary pain for the sake of the mums wanting them to look nice. I hate earrings in babies, I don't find them pretty at all, more chavvy if I'm really going to be honest but the 'look' really is down to personally opinion. I just couldn't imagine shooting a metal pin through my babies ears for my own wants:flower:
Babies are cute enough without using body modification!!
It always strikes me in these debates... And I've seen many now...! The ladies who are into piercings ect for themselves and have many, they seem to always be ones against it?

Also... If I had a girl I'd love to do the whole girly thing when they're old enough! My friends daughter wanted hers done at 7 and they had a lovely day out with lunch and chose the earrings together ect . Just seems really special and I'd enjoy really enjoy that Mum/daughter bonding thing!!

I would never get my daughters body altered for cosmetic reasons that are my choice, not hers. She is free to get her ears pierced when she is old enough to understand the pain and the cleaning process. I got mine pierced at 8 years of age and I remember the agony and having to be held down to get my ears cleaned by my mum. Unpleasant experience!

Also... If I had a girl I'd love to do the whole girly thing when they're old enough! My friends daughter wanted hers done at 7 and they had a lovely day out with lunch and chose the earrings together ect . Just seems really special and I'd enjoy really enjoy that Mum/daughter bonding thing!!

THIS !! i love this :) i wana be able to do this with my daughter when shes old enough to choose the colour, style n then we'll do some shoppin n have some lunch. i want it to be a day dedicated to her n it be special for us both.

its a shame some mummies dont want this special day out n do it when its not so special but its their babies. i dont judge those that do it i just dont like seein 'babies' with pierced ears they r precious n beautiful enough without the need for jewellery :flower:

I have two sons so I dont get asked this obviously but had they been daughters I wouldnt have it done. Its not my choice to modify their body like that. I will respect their body by not causing any harm, even with disapline as well as cosmetic preferences. I would let them decide when older what to do. I had mine done as a toddler, I remember it. It hurt and I thought it was some weird punishment and my ears where constantly infected and I was allergic to most metals. Havnt worn earrings in years. Every time I put them in within an hour I am in pain. And my holes never closed over. Same happened when I had my nose pierced. My body clearly dosnt like piercings. I cant each them to look after their body while I am piercing holes in it. I dont care who else has it done on their child just wouldnt on mine.

Meh different folks different strokes. My Lo ears aren't done she so cute I couldn't risk making her any cuter someone might have tried to steal her ;) but seriously this is the silliest thing ppl argue over esp when they compare it to cricing. Idk why ppl are so concern what others do with their kids esp on silly topics like this.

I think for the people who don't like/agree with the piercing that for them (and me!) it's just inflicting unnecessary pain for the sake of the mums wanting them to look nice. I hate earrings in babies, I don't find them pretty at all, more chavvy if I'm really going to be honest but the 'look' really is down to personally opinion. I just couldn't imagine shooting a metal pin through my babies ears for my own wants:flower:
Babies are cute enough without using body modification!!
It always strikes me in these debates... And I've seen many now...! The ladies who are into piercings ect for themselves and have many, they seem to always be ones against it?

I do agree its unnecessary and purely cosmetic and for the mothers enjoyment only as the baby doesnt benefit at all from it. But I wouldn't say its chavvy (still vague on what that means) I don't look/think twice about seeing a baby with earrings its very normal here I don't look down on the mothers who choose to do so I just wish they went to a professional place and not have some Teeny bopper in the mall shooting holes in there babies ears! But I don't think its makes baby look cheap, low class or gotti(well sometimes depending on the jewelry)

i got my own ears done at 18months and i wish my mum hadn't done it, i didn't take them out till i was 10 and i still remember the pain i was in taking them out :(. When she's older and at school and asks to have them done and we explain to her what happens/what she needs to do and she understands and still wants them i'll take her.

I have 12 tats and 9 piercings and love them all. But they're all my choice and are personal to me so i would be happy if Livy WANTS them, but that's down to her when she's older!

My family seem to pierce all the babies ears and that's fine and down to them, it's just not what i want to do.

I personally dont agree with permanently altering a baby's body for non medical reasons (eg piercings and circumcisions for not medical reasons).

Its not permanent, they do come out!

The holes are, or at least can be, permanent. I haven't worn earrings in ten years but the holes are still open. I'm sure that's what she meant.

Thank you. That is exactly what I ment. xxx

Obviously I don't know what your piercings look like but the holes are usually so small. I mean its not like they interfere with daily life. I hardly ever wear ear rings but the holes are so small I honestly almost never think about them. Its not noticeable at all. If a child grows up and decides they don't want earrings then by all means they do not have to wear them but I don't think the holes are big enough to even be given a second thought (in the majority of cases at least)

Would you be ok with it if a member of your family came up to you and left 2 puncture marks on your body without your consent for a non-medical reason?

Would you be ok with it if a member of your family came up to you and left 2 puncture marks on your body without your consent for a non-medical reason?

She did and I'm fine I'm not emotionally scarred from the event I don't feel as if my mother violated my "temple" or body I think this is the silliest topic ever that ppl get up in arms about. There are more worthy parental hot buttons that we could discuss. A infant who's ears are pierce isn't going to emotionally cripple them or cause any severe damage

Honestly, yes. My mum did. I dont remember anything at all from getting them done... and as far back as I can remember I have loved being able to put in earrings etc and have never been in any sort of pain from them.

So yes, Im totally okay with it.

For people who dont agree its the principle of it. Respecting my child has a choice to do it to their own body. Not me.

I agree with Eskimobabys that this isn't really a big thing for everyone to argue about whether we agree with it or not. Surely everyone should respect everyone else's opinion no matter what we think of it. If someone pieces there child’s ears it does not affect you and therefore you shouldn't preach at them for the decision they made. And if someone believes that it is wrong to do again you shouldn't try to make them believe your view is right as for them it isn't.
Please can we draw a line now and all agree to disagree and stop trying to change people opinions as it’s there’s to have.

Sorry if that sounded patronising but we’re all mums here and should be supporting each other and i hate it when posts get like this.

I agree with Eskimobabys that this isn't really a big thing for everyone to argue about whether we agree with it or not. Surely everyone should respect everyone else's opinion no matter what we think of it. If someone pieces there child’s ears it does not affect you and therefore you shouldn't preach at them for the decision they made. And if someone believes that it is wrong to do again you shouldn't try to make them believe your view is right as for them it isn't.
Please can we draw a line now and all agree to disagree and stop trying to change people opinions as it’s there’s to have.

Sorry if that sounded patronising but we’re all mums here and should be supporting each other and i hate it when posts get like this.

100% agree. It's not about convincing one another that it's right or wrong. There is no universal right or wrong chart. It might be right for YOUR child or wrong for YOUR child.

Probably because we're familiar with what it feels like. I've had a few piercings done and while I like the look of them, I certainly don't look forward to the experience of getting it done! It sure hurts more than an injection, and I've seen how my baby reacts to that, so I've no interest in putting her through something even more painful for no good reason (in my opinion).

I'm also familiar with the aftercare, and while sometimes it can be a breeze, I've also had it go wrong and it was horrible. No point in putting my baby at risk to experience that, either.

Edit: I'm not trying to argue anything, just explaining why my own experiences with piercings is probably why I'm so against it for my infant daughter. I don't have anything against those who are okay with it. :) Everyone has their own reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->