Please help me!!

emilyp83

Reaction score
I had been exclusively bf'ing but we decided to give some formula at night a at the beginning of the week. Since Wednesday LO hasn't had a poo and is screaming the place down all the time unless we hold him. What on earth can I do. The neighbours have even commented that he is screaming. To make matters worse OH is away all week so I'll have to deal with it on my own. I just can't see how I'll even be able to eat.

What have I done! What can I do for him? Any tips on coping???? Please help!!

Formula might change the bowels a bit, but that's expected, you haven't done anything wrong.
Three things we had to try
*cycle his legs, like a bicycle
A slight bit of water
Lactolase (it's a sugar type solution that neonatal recommended and it's safe, at that age we jus gave 1.5mls in the morning and 1.5mls at night)

Small amounts of water or, even better, a tiny amount of orange juice diluted with a lot of water. And then get yourself ready for a very full nappy!

Also, you can try some baby massage, particularly bicycling of the legs (lie him on his back) and clockwise circles on his belly. Check out YouTube for videos on this.

Don't panic - we've all been there. Apologise to the neighbours and be honest, say that he's constipated at the moment but that you are doing your best to get things moving.

:hug:

I found when my lo was smaller the tummy massages worked great.

Usually a change in their diet upsets them for a little while but should improve soon.

i agree with 25weeker, tummy massages were great with harry when we changed him from brest milk to formula x

Is he winding ok? It might also be colic, but to be honest, the advice above would be good for that too. Try laying him on his tummy too. it helps digestion.

well i agree with sb the bicycles work great also i give Michael glycerin tips for infants and that usually gives him immediate releif

Does anybody else feel like we are now on "poop watch"? :D

You made me marleysgirl. Im like, now waiting on an update :rofl:

As gross as it was but because ds has a hernia and can't poop by himself a cotton bud & some Vaseline was needed, gross but it worked! More of a tickle than an intrusion iykwim

Poo update!!

We gave him a bit of orange juice in some water which worked brlliantly in half an hour (all over his and daddy's clothes in fact!). Problem is now he has gone the other way and has the runs now although it doesn't seem to be hurting him or causing any upset. Just worried he's going to get dehydrated or something.

I'm really pleased that he's pooped :D I did warn you that it would be an explosion :rofl:

You can see the signs of dehydration - sluggishness, dry nappies, dark rings around the eyes, and a sunken fontanelle (soft patch on top of skull). If you are really concerned, get your HV or GP to take a look at the wee fella and give their opinion.

It may just be that the diluted orange was a bit of a jolt to his system, and things will settle down in a couple of days.

My little boy Andrew was hospitalised with dehydration after a really bad gastric bug; we were advised to give him rehydration salts (available from pharmacies, you mix with water) to replace the electrolytes alongside his usual bottles of milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->