Plus-Size Pregnancy

Beautiful Harriet! I can't wait to have a bump :)

Thank you! It is very exciting! It feels like it takes forever those first weeks, but once you hit second tri it seems like time flies by. I never had a proper bump with my first, but this one is going to more than make up for that it seems. lol People didn't even realize I was pregnant at the very end last time, but I've already been getting comments this time & I'm not even half way! :happydance:

I was actually surprised that I passed my GTT one hour. I eat ok but not great by any means and always been overweight. So just because you're overweight doesn't mean you will end up with GD or anything like that.

Yeah, I know it doesn't. But, unfortunately due to my PCOS I do have mild glucose intolerance. I don't have diabetes but it could turn into it. Before my hormonal imbalance (PCOS) my blood sugars were perfect if not low. Now, my blood sugar is generally great but my morning fastings are slightly elevated. For whatever reason if you eat carbs before bed time your body doesn't dump sugars (in my case, anyway) so my fastings are lower on those days (mid 80s to low/mid 90s) instead of being 101-116. I had my OGTT at around 16 weeks (I think) and failed the 1 hour, which I knew I would, and passed the 3 hour with no problem. We're skipping the 1 hour this time around and just doing the 3 hour. Planning on doing it around 26 or 27 weeks. It's a pain in the butt but it makes me lose less time at work. My blood sugar does it's own thing and doesn't follow the rules. But, at random, I'm often between 80-114 after meals, so not gestational diabetes for me yet. *knock on wood!* Because of the PCOS they do keep a closer eye on mine... and I just test on random mornings. My lowest numbers always stem from nights that I've eaten later or had a snack. Before the 3 hour they tell you to have a glass of milk and half a sandwich between 10p-12a. They want you fasted for 8-10 hours, no more than 10 hours. Other than that they tell you not to exercise or follow a different diet. I have also noticed that my blood sugar has been better since I stopped following a lower-carb diet. Funny how that works.

Fantastic bump, Harriet. On the plus size bump photo thread the people who are in their subsequent pregnancies seem to have great bumps. Or, those who carry most of their weight above the waist and don't have too much of a "B" for first timers. I don't look pregnant at all unless I'm wearing the maternity pants. My belly looks a little smaller this time around in my opinion but it could be do to the clothing I was wearing as well. Not sure.

And, as far as maternity pants go, most are way too long... I'm only 5'4" ish so I ordered the petite ones and they fit perfect. =)

I saw that old navy in the long beach towne center has maternity, so I'm going to check it out this weekend. Hopefully they have some decent inexpensive clothes-my bump hasn't grown that much but it is rounding out but my boobs are inflating at an alarming rate. None of my shirts fit properly anymore.

Lol of course just because you're over weight doesn't mean you are gonna get GD!!!

Last time I ate horrible the whole time :dohh: Like an hour before my GD one hour test I ate a HUGE plate of cinnamon sugar french toast drenched in sugar, and drank a coca-cola. Then drank their "sugar" drink. the baby didn't even wake up for the test :rofl: And I passed with FLYING colors at well over 200lbs.

Keslinger, Congrats on your 24 weeks and your v-day!

Thank you so much!!! You're right behind me!

It's funny, from all the books and stuff you read, you're always waiting for a certain point in your pregnancy to be "safe".

12-13 weeks and you're a little more "in the clear" - bye bye first trimester

24 weeks and hospitals consider your baby viable!

I'm still waiting for my Facebook updates from thebump and babygaga to tell me the baby is viable... I think they post theirs at 27 or 28 weeks. Either way. It's a great day. =)

We're going out to dinner tonight with OH's mom and sister... gotta pick up some groceries too... we're good on meals but we need some snacks and FRUIT. I want fruit. Bad.

Looks like "thebump" has some bugs to work out. Last week it posted my baby as a papaya (23 weeks) and this year it's posting 24 weeks as a grapefruit. WTH??

It's funny, from all the books and stuff you read, you're always waiting for a certain point in your pregnancy to be "safe".

I'm still waiting for my Facebook updates from thebump and babygaga to tell me the baby is viable... I think they post theirs at 27 or 28 weeks. Either way. It's a great day. =)

We're going out to dinner tonight with OH's mom and sister... gotta pick up some groceries too... we're good on meals but we need some snacks and FRUIT. I want fruit. Bad.

I've been the same way about fruit, especially nectarines! To bad they're so expensive. We've been buying them (with other fruit) from a farmers market here and I looooove it.

I saw that old navy in the long beach towne center has maternity, so I'm going to check it out this weekend. Hopefully they have some decent inexpensive clothes-my bump hasn't grown that much but it is rounding out but my boobs are inflating at an alarming rate. None of my shirts fit properly anymore.

Old Navy doesn't have a lot in store but their online selection is awesome. And everything fits similar so if you find a pair of pants there and you like them you can pretty much get that size in all their pants and they fit the same. Their tops are awesome too. Another great place is Target- just got the most comfy yoga pants and t-shirt ever just a couple hours ago and i'm loving being comfortable and having things fit right!

I hear you... I think one considers it 24 weeks and one 25. I know on my 27 week my BabyGaga app said that the baby should survive with medical intervention it was a different way of saying viable though.

I went to the store just for nectarines today had to have one!

I have been craving fruit too. Apples, grapes, oranges. And artichokes but can't find any this time of year.

Hi ladies, I think im going to have trouble when it comes to maternity trousers, Im a UK 22 but i am tall, I find it hard enough to find trousers long enough in bigger sizes as it is, maternity clothing looks even less promising, anyone had this problem and solved it? X

Next has been my best friend for jeans so far, they go up to a 22 (but do run a bit big) and the long leg is a brilliant length (even more generous than their standard clothing).
I will say to keep an eye on the stock levels as the long length do seem to go quite quickly, so maybe picking up a pair sooner rather than later and teaming it up with a bump band (matalan/asda) if they seem a bit too roomy

Good luck and don't get disheartened x

Hi ladies, I think im going to have trouble when it comes to maternity trousers, Im a UK 22 but i am tall, I find it hard enough to find trousers long enough in bigger sizes as it is, maternity clothing looks even less promising, anyone had this problem and solved it? X

Next has been my best friend for jeans so far, they go up to a 22 (but do run a bit big) and the long leg is a brilliant length (even more generous than their standard clothing).
I will say to keep an eye on the stock levels as the long length do seem to go quite quickly, so maybe picking up a pair sooner rather than later and teaming it up with a bump band (matalan/asda) if they seem a bit too roomy

Good luck and don't get disheartened x

Thankyou! I thought they didn't do long in the 22, only up to the 18, I will go have a look :) xx

I have my scan tomorrow and am dreading what they are gong to sa to me about my weight. My bmi is about 36.
Any idea what they will say to me so I can prepare myself and not get so upset?

Izzy mine isn't far from that. My Dr has actually not breathed a WORD about my weight which was very surprising to me. Especially now that I'm gaining steadily he's not giving me a limitation on it. I honestly think that they are more concerned about the side effects of being pregnant while being overweight, such as gestational diabetes and blood pressure issues. If those things are in check with you from the start they aren't going to be so worried. If I can remember correctly from back in the beginning of this thread I have only heard from one person who has been straight up insulted for being overweight and that's because she lives in Romania and apparently those people have no tact. LOL

Oh hopefully they are not too harsh. I am so looking forward to seeing if everything is ok but I have the overweight worry there constantly too. I am a bit raging with myself for not trying harder to lose more but it took a year to conceive so I never thought it was actually going to happen.

Hi

I hope you don't mind me posting this here! I have a question which I hope you ladies may be able to advise me on.

The short version is that I am getting married in 6 weeks and am currently 8 weeks pregnant so I will be 14 weeks on my wedding day. I am a uk size 16 with a reasonable amount of excess weight on my stomach pre-pregnancy. I am really worried that I'll have a bump and my dress won't fit. I have discussed this with the dress shop which is going to allow an extra inch or so around the bump area. I'm worried that I'll expand faster than this!

My question which I hope won't offend is with already carrying a little excess weight did your bumps show later due to this?

Thanks

Lx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back