Plus-Size Pregnancy

I honestly stopped logging weight in a pregnancy app when the one I was using said I was morbidly obese from the first weight I put in there. I don't need that crap!

This made me laugh! I'm sorry, but I totally get it! I'm technically obese, but what does it matter? My doctor hasn't said anything about my weight and I've gained about 1 lb. according to the doctor's scale. I wasn't worried during my first trimester about weight because I had a hard time eating anything, I've just hit that time that I'm almost always hungry. I'm trying to eat healthy and just listen to my body, but unfortunately, I have gotten a crazy, CRAZY sweet tooth since becoming pregnant. I try to stick to fruit, but sometimes it doesn't cut it!

My boobs are looking great! LOL. A lot fuller and what not now, instead of the sagginess that most get mine are perking up more. I enjoy that. ;)

I'm glad you are liking yours more! :)

I honestly stopped logging weight in a pregnancy app when the one I was using said I was morbidly obese from the first weight I put in there. I don't need that crap!

WTF! I wouldn't use an app like that either!
The one I'm using is for Android, it's called "I'm expecting" and for the weight tracker it does just that. Lets you log your weight. It will show you gains/losses and what's "average" although the average gain/loss doesn't apply to me.

Like for me it says "My week" 26 "My Gain" -4.0 "Normal Range" 6-12
You can scroll down through all the weeks that you've tracked and if you don't track it just leaves a - there in it's place. It will display your current weight on the weight page only and then also says "Current Weight Gain" = for me it's low so it says -4 lb (low)

It has tabs for "My Weight" "My Calendar" "My Symptoms" "Doctor Info" you can store information from your appointments in it, also put in appointment reminders, etc. It has my due date and how many days to go (98! WOOHOO!) Another tab is the weeks tab which is labeled "40" when you click on it it goes to how many weeks you are and tells you about whats happening in your body and also the babys development. It has a questions/answers sections through MedHelp (I've never used that so can't say anything about it). At the bottom of each weeks development information there's a picture of a 3D ultrasound of a baby at your stage of pregnancy.

All in all, I like it. It doesn't tell me I'm doing bad or good. Just lets me track everything on my own. My DOCTOR never said how much to gain, but WIC did, although I've never had another appointment with them, just a class and no weigh in. Kaisers class gave us ranges of which to gain in, but I'm nowhere near it yet.

From my LOWEST weight during pregnancy I'm up 6 pounds. From my weight at my LMP I'm down 4 pounds.

My doctor has only mentioned my weight once, that was at my last appointment when she said I must be following a strict diet because my weight had stayed the same the whole time. My next appointment is Wednesday and I'll be up a couple of pounds from last time, but that's not a huge deal. I'm pregnant!

Hi All, Did any of you get put on 5mg Folic acid?? I'm slightly annoyed that the doctor didn't say anything at 4 weeks and I had to wait for the midwife at almost 9 weeks to say 'oh you should be taking the high dose of 5mg until 12 weeks, we'll get that on prescription for you'... umm now I only have 3 weeks to take it!!

Hi All, Did any of you get put on 5mg Folic acid?? I'm slightly annoyed that the doctor didn't say anything at 4 weeks and I had to wait for the midwife at almost 9 weeks to say 'oh you should be taking the high dose of 5mg until 12 weeks, we'll get that on prescription for you'... umm now I only have 3 weeks to take it!!

No, my doctor never had me on high-dose folic acid. I took an extra FA supplement in addition to what was in my prenatal vitamin, but that was just my own decision. I doubt it's harmful for you not to have it, honestly, they're probably just being cautious.

My doctor never told me to, but, I also took extra folic acid on my own. My prenatal has 800mcg and I used to take 400mcg in addition to that... I couldn't find the same pills as before when I ran out, the newer bottle has 600mcg + DHA. I also take an Omega-3 gummy.

A while back I had read that women who are obese may be more prone to babies that have neural tube defects (not sure if that's true or not). I've always taken extra folic acid for my needs -- I've been taking prenatal vitamins for YEARS! Before we were trying to conceive I added in additional folic acid. I didn't add the omega-3 until after I got pregnant, and I do plan to take it while I breastfeed as well. I'll continue the supplements I'm on.

Here's an aritcle from baby center (well PART of the article)
"When you might need extra folic acid
Women who are obese appear to be more likely to have a baby with a neural tube defect, although the reason for this is still unclear. If you're significantly overweight, see your healthcare provider before you try to conceive. Among other things, she may advise you to take somewhat more than 400 mcg of folic acid.

If you've previously been pregnant with a baby affected by a neural tube defect, be sure your current providers are aware of this, and schedule a visit before trying to get pregnant. With no intervention, women in this situation have a 2 to 5 percent chance of having another pregnancy complicated by an NTD.

The good news is that this risk can be reduced significantly by taking a very large dose (4 milligrams [mg], which is equal to 4,000 micrograms) of folic acid beginning one month before conception and continuing through the first three months of pregnancy.

To enable you to get 4 milligrams of folic acid, your provider would prescribe a prenatal vitamin with 1 mg of folic acid, plus three 1 mg folic acid tablets to start taking one month before you try to get pregnant, continuing through the first trimester.

Women who are diabetic or are taking certain anti-seizure medications are also more likely to have a pregnancy affected by an NTD. If either of these situations applies to you, see your provider at least a month before trying to conceive to find out how much folic acid you should be taking and to monitor your condition in general."

On a totally different note:

I've been wanting nachos for DAAAAAAAAAAAAYS now and OH just text me and asked if I wanted some. :thumbup: HELL YEAH I WANT SOME!

Nachos! Hell yeah.

My Vietnamese food suddenly sounds less exciting. BUT, there will be spring rolls. Oh yes, spring rolls.

We haven't had dinner yet today...mmmmm nachos.

I have the I'm expecting app and it's pretty nice.

We haven't had dinner yet today...mmmmm nachos.

I have the I'm expecting app and it's pretty nice.

LOL they were pretty tasty!
It was a mini date night, we couldn't figure out what we wanted to do after dinner... we've been sitting at home watching TV.

OH is eating ice cream, I may join him. ;)

My dog is sick, poor guy. He has kennel cough... don't know if he picked it up around here at the apartments or if I brought it home on my shoes from work. Started in the middle of the night last night, sounds so painful. Most of the time we treat them with antibiotics and a narcotic cough syrup... typically they don't need the antibiotics. I started my guy on some antibiotics in hopes of making him more comfortable, but if it's a viral strain he's going to have to push through it. That and some Delsym cough syrup at the right dose. Lame. Hopefully he'll sleep some more tonight.

Onward... ice cream time!

Have a good night!

Does anyone take extra iron? I am thinking about it to see if it helps with my energy but other people are telling me not to unless a Dr tells me to. I don't see what the issue with it would be though.

I just had my blood drawn again yesterday. Another 3 hour GTT (looks like I passed except for a slightly elevated fasting)... funny, the one morning I have to get my blood drawn my levels are up a little elevated. Oh well. Everything else was way under what they wanted. They also drew a CBC, my levels are down SLIGHTLY but still well into the "normal" ranges... I see my doctor on Wednesday so we'll see what she says. They also did another creatinine level.

It was a rough morning for me yesterday... I smashed my finger pretty good in the closet door, it still looked like a blueberry this morning but I've been able to get some of the swelling down. Then I had my 3hr GTT, usually not too bad, the first 3 draws were easy, then I got someone who barely spoke english and apparently couldn't count. After not listening to me and sticking me 3 times then saying "I stick you 2 times, now someone else try" I wasn't amused. She fished around like crazy in there, and in one of the spots you can see that she was NOWHERE near a vein. WTH. I don't mind blood draws but near the end of it I was fasting nearly 16 hours, was starving, had no energy and was completely frustrated. I left with a few tears. LOL makes me sound like a big baby, it's the hormones. The rest of the day I was just exhausted. The guy who ended up taking my blood got it from a super deep vein in my forearm. I wasn't too sure about it at first, those veins usually blow when they try to put IV's in them. He put a heat pack on it first to make the veins stand up for him. It worked.

I've noticed that my level of patience is taking a turn for the worst. Everything and everyone is ANNOYING. Majorly. More so at work and then I bring that bad energy home. LOL. Can't help it.

Had a scare today... was in the birthing center for 6 hours with an IV after I ended up with regular contractions every 5 minutes... luckily I thought I was having a bladder infection so I called my Dr's office and they wanted to rule out preterm labor so I went into the hospital instead... turns out I was having contractions and didn't know that's what they were... there is no explanation for them other than its probably partially stress related and partially dehydration. Pretty scary experience though. I have to take at least the rest of the week off work now.

Oh no! I hope they stop, or stay stopped rather. Hope all is well now... Keep us posted.

How scary Kendra! Just take it easy and rest this week!

Definitely take it nice and easy, I bet that was super scary. I'm sorry you went through that. :(

What did it feel like, out of curiosity?

I'm glad you're okay and at home now Kendra.

I came down with a horrible stomach flu the day after my insurance ran out. :( luckily it was only twoish days, but I'm still not feeling 100%. It was like morning sickness all over again +code brown. Ugh.

KE- I would not be happy with someone digging around for a vein. Not cool. I'm glad your tests came out well.
Kendra- very scary to have early contractions. Rest up and take care!

AFM- did any of you loose weight in your first trimester due to morning sickness? I've lost nearly 10lbs now and at 200lbs I certainly have extra to spare I am just worried should I call the doctor? Has anyone had experience with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->